PDA

View Full Version : Rotate Aimpoint 90 Degrees?

Tomac
02-28-08, 20:20
Just got my two new ML3's and was prepping to mount them on my rifles when I realized I could rotate them 90 degrees counter-clockwise so that the brightness knob would be at 10 o'clock instead of 2 o'clock (making it more accessible to my off hand, which I prefer). Thus, my windage/elevation adjustments are reversed but otherwise I don't see a problem w/this setup. Before I go ahead and commit to this has anyone else tried this before and if so, did you encounter any problems? TIA!...
Tomac

subzero
02-28-08, 21:31
I've seen it a few times and considered running my ML2 that way.

The Pro of running it that way is easier adjustments with your weak hand for a right handed shooter.

The Cons of running it that way is that your up/down left/right adjustments work backwards now. Also, the switch and tube will be facing you, instead of outside the gun. I thought I'd be more likely to damage the switch in that setup thanks to the way I manipulate the carbine in transition or similar maneuvers.

Since the switch is one of the (very few) easily broken parts of the sight, I figured it'd be best to go with the conventional method of mounting. Plus, I didn't really see it as a problem to have to go over the top to make a brightness adjustment with my off hand.

But try it out if it appeals to you. If it doesn't work, it's as easy as loosening, twisting, applying loctite and re-zeroing to go to the other method.

Just don't be that guy who puts the switch right on top so the adjustment turrets are at 45 and 315 degrees.

Tomac
02-28-08, 21:52
Thx for the insight, I hadn't considered possible damage to the switch, that's very good to know! Apparently Aimpoint has considered the rotation thing 'cause I discovered that the adjustments under the caps are marked for both std & rotated/reversed mountings (ie: one is marked "up" & "right", the other is marked "down" & "left"). Thx again...
Tomac

Resq47
03-01-08, 21:52
Works for me, even though it's a 'lefty' thing and I'm not. Of course I've only been using it that way since '05, so...

Lumpy196
03-02-08, 09:48
I don't think damage to the knob is as big of a concern as having it rub against your gear and having it moved from the appropriate setting.

molsen
03-02-08, 11:29
When in doubt, RTFM.

CarlosDJackal
03-04-08, 19:16
That's how I have mounted all my Aimpointd (I have three). The reason is I can adjust the rheostat using my support hand (left hand) which allows me to maintain my firing grip.