PDA

View Full Version : Cuomo & Sweeping New Gun Control Laws

platoonDaddy
01-09-13, 05:47
HeyNewYork

Any chance the legislators of NY, will vote down Cuomo's drive for New Gun Control Laws?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/08/exclusive-cuomo-close-to-announcing-sweeping-new-gun-control-laws/

Pilot1
01-09-13, 06:56
The New York Senate is run by a joint coaltion of Republicans and Democrats, I believe due to five Democrats becoming Independents. So the R's and the D's will hae an equal say in what comes out of the NY Senate with the five Independents being put on the hot seat to go one way or another. The New York Assembly (House) is controlled by Democrats and led by Shelly Silver a longtime friend of former Governor Mario Cuomo, the fater of the current Governor Coumo.

I don't live in New York state, thank God, so this is just from brief research I have done, but the Democrats want to strike while emotions from the Newtown shootings are still high. They are doing a full court press nationwide to finally get the gun control they've wanted for decades, and are exploiting the current shootings, not to limit criminal gun violence which is already illegal but to forward their illegal, anti-gun agenda.

This will be a seriously tough fight, and if I had to bet, I'd bet on more gun control in NYS, so the citizens there must rally to keep whatever they have left of their gun rights. Remember folks, this stuff spreads, so once there is successful legislation, expect it to come to a state near you. :(

SOWT
01-09-13, 09:46
Any NY Based weapons manufacturer should let it be known they will leave if their product is banned.

Hehuhates
01-09-13, 09:48
Any NY Based weapons manufacturer should let it be known they will leave if their product is banned.

They have. Microstamping is being brought up again this time. Remington and Kimber both said they will leave if it goes through.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/2-gun-makers-oppose-bullet-microstamping-bill-6m-state-grants-2009-article-1.1082939 Read the first comment after the article.

skydivr
01-09-13, 12:31
Kimber and Remington will receive a warm welcome if they want to move to TENNESSEE. A right to work state with a Republican Governor, and as of yesterday, a Supermajority house AND Senate!

Mac5.56
01-12-13, 22:02
I've written my assemblymen. But this is going to be a tough ass fight. All of the sudden I am hearing people talk about new interpretations of our AWB as if it has been re-written already and I am curious where the it has all come from as I have heard the same interpretation from multiple sources.

We live in tough times at the moment. I can only say I am glad I got my pistol permit before this all started. Just wish it had more guns on it... :)

SMETNA
01-12-13, 22:13
My assemblyman Brian Kolb wrote back:

"Thank you for expressing your concerns about proposed gun control measures. The horrific tragedies in Newtown, Connecticut and Webster, New York have prompted calls for some fundamental changes in public safety regarding firearms and mental health. I welcome such discourse. Our nation has a framework in place to thoughtfully address issues such as these.

I have always been a steadfast supporter of the Second Amendment. It is therefore worth noting that the United States Supreme Court has recently re-affirmed that the Second Amendment should be construed as stating that an individual has a fundamental right to gun ownership for the purpose of self-protection. I remain committed to advocating for our Constitutional Freedom. New York State already has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation. We do not need any more.

Our goal should be to address the underlying issues that have resulted in tragedies such as Newtown and Webster. We need to proactively ensure that individuals who should not have guns do not obtain them, period. There should not be further restrictions placed on law-abiding citizens. This will involve the cooperation of mental health professionals, interaction with local law enforcement and others, as well as an enhanced reporting system. The scope of these tragedies transcends a discussion that is simply about guns. It requires a fundamental examination of our society and public safety.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me."

Good man.

Abraxas
01-12-13, 22:22

They should leave anyway.

SMETNA
01-12-13, 22:34
They should leave anyway.

Agreed. I seriously want to see this state fail hard. It will

LoboTBL
01-15-13, 22:14
Hey y'all and greetings from TX.

I'm gonna say first that it's a ****ing travesty what your state legislature has done to you and I hope for the best and that it can all be overturned based on the unconstitutionality of it all.

That said the main reason I am posting this here is partly because even though I've been on M4C a while, I've done the recommended thing (read more~post less~search often) and therefore haven't reached that all important post count to post in GD.

I was reading about the situation in the GD section and saw a few references to the FOP being in support of the legislation that was passed. To say this disturbs me would be a gross understatement. Can anyone here LEO or not confirm that and whether it was the state body of the FOP or a local lodge?

Thanks in advance and y'all keep your powder dry.

Lobo

aguila327
01-18-13, 01:52
Hey y'all and greetings from TX.

I'm gonna say first that it's a ****ing travesty what your state legislature has done to you and I hope for the best and that it can all be overturned based on the unconstitutionality of it all.

That said the main reason I am posting this here is partly because even though I've been on M4C a while, I've done the recommended thing (read more~post less~search often) and therefore haven't reached that all important post count to post in GD.

I was reading about the situation in the GD section and saw a few references to the FOP being in support of the legislation that was passed. To say this disturbs me would be a gross understatement. Can anyone here LEO or not confirm that and whether it was the state body of the FOP or a local lodge?

Thanks in advance and y'all keep your powder dry.

Lobo

I'm looking for a documented reference as we speak, but knowing the liberal heads of most police organizations here in the lower NY area it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Look back to 1994 and the officers standing behind Clinton then. Those sucka$$#s would open their veins for a photo op in the White House. No matter who and what right was being violated.

Don't get me wrong, I know of a lot of stand up local FOP chapters, but the National and State leaders most of the time leave a lot to be desired:mad:

LoboTBL
01-18-13, 08:38
Aguila, I appreciate that. I haven't heard anything back from one of the guys I know in Jersey City.
I know that National (based on the input from all the Local/State) refused to give endorsement for either candidate in the national election. I don't know how it broke down state by state but TX voted a resounding "No" on endorsing either candidate.