PDA

View Full Version : Where are the children of our American Royals?

The Archangel
02-29-08, 10:31
Well this Royal is stepping up to the plate in Afghanistan. I like the kid... uh I mean man that he's quickly becoming. My hats off to Young Prince Harry.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080228/capt.lon13002281929.afghanistan_prince_harry_lon130.jpg?x=400&y=277&sig=n5Fe2iKpxHH6ogk_qFMt0Q--

In this image made available in London, Thursday Feb. 28, 2008, Britain's Prince Harry, sits atop a military vehicle in the Helmand province, Southern Afghanistan Monday February 18, 2008. Prince Harry has been serving on the front line in Afghanistan with the British Army, according to an announcement by Britain's Ministry of Defence. The Prince, who is third in line to the throne, and is still deployed in the country, has been in Afghanistan since December. The deployment was not reported due to an agreement between the Ministry of Defense and news organizations, including The Associated Press. The story was leaked by an Australian magazine and a German newspaper.

Dumb ass reporter just turned him into Al Qaeda's #1 Priority Target. The SAS should pay him a visit and give him a crash course in OPSEC.

aloharover
02-29-08, 10:34
Due tothe leak he is on his way back home.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=4362519&page=1

It's funny in the interview he is wearing a ball cap with the US flag on it.

The Archangel
02-29-08, 10:39
Due tothe leak he is on his way back home.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=4362519&page=1

It's funny in the interview he is wearing a ball cap with the US flag on it.

The Brits are our greatest ally. ;)

Redmanfms
02-29-08, 11:53
I salute his service.

But:

1. We don't have Royals. My ancestors suffered horribly and lost much of their fortune to fight in a vicious, bloody war to evict the King.

2. Don't turn this into a class struggle thing. I served in the Navy with several guys of "comfortable" means, both officer and enlisted.

variablebinary
02-29-08, 12:08
Good for him. The Brits should be proud. The crown has a long history of protecting Christendom .

Whoever leaked his position should get their ass kicked

RyanS
02-29-08, 15:35
Good for him. The Brits should be proud. The crown has a long history of protecting Christendom .

Whoever leaked his position should get their ass kicked

Wasn't it Drudge?

Impact
02-29-08, 17:53
cool pic: check the flag on the hat :D

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/02_04/harryinterview_468x619.jpg

Iraqgunz
02-29-08, 18:14
It's too bad that some reporters can't shut their cockholsters. This guy has followed the family tradition to step up and fight when he could be back in the UK partying in the clubs. All the while we have people here in the U.S whining about the war(s). I give the Prince kudos for serving and hope that he gets another chance when this is blown over.

FJB
03-01-08, 04:28
As mentioned we don't have "Royals", unless you include the "Camelot Kennedy Klan." But plenty of sons of politicians and captains of industry have stepped up i.e. both John McCain and Duncan Hunter have sons in the Marine Corps, plus I have served in the Marine Corps with the grandson of the owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Of course there is a lot diatribe spouted by Rosie O'Donnell and that ilk about how all of those serving are poor inner city or rural disenfranchised kids with no hope to better themselves other than the military. The reality is far different.

That all said, Prince Harry seems like a first rate young man and officer. What little I do know about the two princes is that they had a great relationship with their SAS body guard growing up and am sure he acted as a positive role model for them to want to emulate during their military service.

S/F

Submariner
03-01-08, 08:33
But plenty of sons of politicians and captains of industry have stepped up i.e. both John McCain and Duncan Hunter have sons in the Marine Corps, plus I have served in the Marine Corps with the grandson of the owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Don't forget Virginia Sen. Jim Webb's son, a rifleman (L/Cpl) who has fought in Iraq.

Even though Dad is now a Democrat.

Spurholder
03-01-08, 09:08
Wasn't it Drudge?

Drudge picked up the story once an Aussie paper went to press with it.

Sucks - kid's got the right stuff, and his Grandma saw the importance of this to make it happen.

Wayne Dobbs
03-01-08, 10:08
I was also impressed with the young Prince/Lt's sense of duty and if you heard any of his interviews, it was apparent that he loved soldiering.

We do need to send him a decent holster for his P-35 though...

C4IGrant
03-01-08, 16:53
Good on him! I am sure he makes his family proud.

C4

Nathan_Bell
03-01-08, 17:11
The back of that hat is even better:D

"We do bad things to bad people"

Can't find that article but the reporter seemed a bit miffed by the hat and the sentiment.

9x19
03-01-08, 17:36
The back of that hat is even better:D

"We do bad things to bad people"

Can't find that article but the reporter seemed a bit miffed by the hat and the sentiment.

Right here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=523219&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

Make sure to scroll down to the picture of the back of the cap, and read the bit below the picture.

Buckaroo
03-01-08, 18:04
Here is the photo of the back of the hat.

Gotta respect a guy like that who could have been out clubbing but instead went with his mates to war.

Makes me proud and I'm not British!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/SDBuckaroo/th_HarrysCap.jpg (http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/SDBuckaroo/HarrysCap.jpg)

rhino
03-01-08, 19:22
I'll bet that he could keep that P35 under his pillow at home if he wanted to do so ... unlike 99.99% of the rest of the population in the UK. :D

He's probably a really good soldier. Too bad his position and status prevent him from making the same kinds of decisions most of us could make. On the other hand, it probably has some offsetting benefits as well. :D

Trim2L
03-01-08, 19:38
Where can I buy that hat?

FJB
03-01-08, 22:07
Don't forget Virginia Sen. Jim Webb's son, a rifleman (L/Cpl) who has fought in Iraq.

Even though Dad is now a Democrat.

Sub,
thanks. I had forgot about James Webb's son. Didn't mean to exclude him because of political party.

I have mentioned this before in another thread, but Senator Pat Leahy (D) of Vermont had a son in B/1/25 Marines during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. He was in my brother's platoon. The unit deployed to Saudi Arabia and the fought into Kuwait. Leahy's son stayed at Camp Pendleton. CCR's "I ain't no Senator's Son" should be playing in your head right about now.

S/F

TraderJack
03-02-08, 02:59
... kid's got the right stuff, and his Grandma saw the importance of this to make it happen.

I couldn't have said it any better! 3 Cheers for Harry! Hip, hip...

Blake
03-02-08, 03:24
That all said, Prince Harry seems like a first rate young man and officer. What little I do know about the two princes is that they had a great relationship with their SAS body guard growing up and am sure he acted as a positive role model for them to want to emulate during their military service.

Any literature other than common internet stuff, concerning what you mention here about their relationship with their SAS body guard? Just interested in reading about this.

chadbag
03-02-08, 03:25
Wasn't it Drudge?

No, he just got all the attention. It was in at least one Australian "women's" magazine in January and in mid February in at least one German newspaper (have heard both "Berlin Kurier" and "Bild") before Drudge ran with it.

Drudge just got a lot more exposure for it.

--

Good for Prince Harry and his service. And all the UK, Dutch, and Danish forces, as well as the Aussies in Afghanistan (and Iraq) who actually go into harms way. Too bad more of our so-called "allies" don't step up to the plate.

While I have great disdain for the GB/UK political class, their armed services are great allies.

chadbag
03-02-08, 03:30
cool pic: check the flag on the hat :D

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/02_04/harryinterview_468x619.jpg

That is a cool hat. And supposedly (according to the article where that pic came from), he wore that hat his whole deployment, when not in his more official uniform. Not just for the interview.

I really hope, when the time comes, his dad steps aside and lets one of his sons become King. Get a real man representing England and not some pantywaist like Charles. I don't know how Harry's older brother is though.

Prince Harry IS a credit to his country and his unit.

Chad

FJB
03-02-08, 13:00
Any literature other than common internet stuff, concerning what you mention here about their relationship with their SAS body guard? Just interested in reading about this.

I don't other than a couple of semi-credible bio pic's on the royal family that were made for TV that my wife made me watch a few years back. I think they were based on semi-credible books about Diana and/or the boys.

S/F

HolyRoller
03-02-08, 19:30
Fox News showed a clip of Prince Harry this morning and I was super impressed when he said how much he missed his men and how highly he thought of them. He even said he was angry, and then corrected himself to mildly disappointed, at having been outed when all he wanted to do was take care of business, in the company of heroes.

Plenty of American royalty are stepping up. Those that aren't should give it a try. They don't know what they're missing. Most of the Army guys I know, and all of the spec-ops guys I know, could be doing something else for more money and less trouble, but they do what they do because they like it and they know they're needed. Myself, I like being a deputy sheriff and, on the side, a consumer protection lawyer, far better than I liked doing corporate law. I only wish I had more money for practice ammo.

Safetyhit
03-02-08, 20:53
Get a real man representing England and not some pantywaist...

No doubt.

I am another who is extremely impressed with Harry. He is a fine example of a young man who is honorably stepping outside the normal boundaries of such a privileged life to do good for the world. I really respect and appreciate him for the president he has set for his fellow countrymen.

And to think, an English prince serving in combat will proudly display our flag on his hat, but that pos obama will not wear a U.S. pin on his suit.

The Archangel
03-03-08, 12:54
Here is the photo of the back of the hat.

Gotta respect a guy like that who could have been out clubbing but instead went with his mates to war.

Makes me proud and I'm not British!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/SDBuckaroo/th_HarrysCap.jpg (http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/SDBuckaroo/HarrysCap.jpg)

HA!!!

He must have ran into some 3rd Groupers and they must have made a good impression. :D

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/128/8861/225853.jpg

Spade
03-03-08, 13:59
I'm not claiming to have all the information & I'm not claiming he should be looked at as a hero since he was only there for 10 weeks. But with the knowledge of this coming to light it's nice to hear that America is not the only one fighting over there, & it's not just our war. Seems like that gets lost here sometimes

The Archangel
03-03-08, 14:21
I'm not claiming to have all the information & I'm not claiming he should be looked at as a hero since he was only there for 10 weeks. But with the knowledge of this coming to light it's nice to hear that America is not the only one fighting over there, & it's not just our war. Seems like that gets lost here sometimes

No one here is calling him a hero, most of us just respect the fact that as a product of wealth and privilage, he choose to step up to the plate and serve his country and his people (unlike some other people of w & p like Paris Hilton...).

He would have stayed there for the full duration of his tour had his OPSEC not been compromised. His older brother also tried to serve a tour in combat, but was initially turned down, but seems like he will get his chance sometime in the near future.

Spade
03-03-08, 14:35
No one here is calling him a hero, most of us just respect the fact that as a product of wealth and privilage, he choose to step up to the plate and serve his country and his people (unlike some other people of w & p like Paris Hilton...).

He would have stayed there for the full duration of his tour had his OPSEC not been compromised. His older brother also tried to serve a tour in combat, but was initially turned down, but seems like he will get his chance sometime in the near future.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the kid. I got respect for anyone willing to serve. It's just my fear that since he is who he is that he will be lifted up on a high horse & his exploits blown out of proportion. It is mondo cool that someone of w & p chose to go over there. but to lift him so high, to me takes away from what he was trying to do in the first place.

Gutshot John
03-03-08, 14:44
I'm not trying to take anything away from the kid. I got respect for anyone willing to serve. It's just my fear that since he is who he is that he will be lifted up on a high horse & his exploits blown out of proportion. It is mondo cool that someone of w & p chose to go over there. but to lift him so high, to me takes away from what he was trying to do in the first place.

+1

It took integrity to go where he did, but let's put this in perspective of those that end up making the ultimate sacrifice.

The Archangel
03-03-08, 16:32

Agreed, but I don't think that he did this for publicity, or to be "lifted up." He was just following his heart and tried to do it under secrecy. It was not his fault that some jackass exposed his service and it is not his fault that the people of England and the media are making him out to be a hero and blowing it out of proportion. In the gloom and mist of an ongoing war, people want and need hero's, or at least people who do heroic deeds.

I believe that the American public need a hero in this GWOT. We need to present the MOH to someone who is still alive. Eventhough he is a MARINE, my vote goes for Brian Chontosh. His Navy Cross needs to be upgraded. :o

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/lookupstoryref/200456162723

hipower
03-03-08, 17:57
No, he just got all the attention. It was in at least one Australian "women's" magazine in January and in mid February in at least one German newspaper (have heard both "Berlin Kurier" and "Bild") before Drudge ran with it.

Drudge just got a lot more exposure for it.

Drudge has more readers worldwide...

jackinfl
03-03-08, 19:47
Archangel,
Did the 3rd group do a run of those hats with that motto. That is very succinct.
Stay Safe,
Jack

The Archangel
03-04-08, 09:40
Archangel,
Did the 3rd group do a run of those hats with that motto. That is very succinct.
Stay Safe,
Jack

The last time I was in Asscracknistan was in 06 and as far as I know, that is still the on going motto for hats, t-shirts, sweatshhirts, coins, etc...

Spade
03-05-08, 10:22
Agreed, but I don't think that he did this for publicity, or to be "lifted up." He was just following his heart and tried to do it under secrecy. It was not his fault that some jackass exposed his service and it is not his fault that the people of England and the media are making him out to be a hero and blowing it out of proportion. In the gloom and mist of an ongoing war, people want and need hero's, or at least people who do heroic deeds.

I believe that the American public need a hero in this GWOT. We need to present the MOH to someone who is still alive. Eventhough he is a MARINE, my vote goes for Brian Chontosh. His Navy Cross needs to be upgraded. :o

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/lookupstoryref/200456162723

OORAH to Capt. Chontosh

Renegade
03-05-08, 11:05
Dumb ass reporter just turned him into Al Qaeda's #1 Priority Target. The SAS should pay him a visit and give him a crash course in OPSEC.

Odd he made no effort to conceal his identity while he was there, I mean, at least buzz cut that hair.