PDA

View Full Version : GLOCK 3.5lb Connector question *Update Pg 2*

M4arc
09-06-06, 21:32
I installed a 3.5lb connector on a G19 for a local guy and it felt like crap. The take up on the trigger was horrible...I could actually feel the mechanics of the movement(s) as took up the slack. I took it back apart, wiped everything down and put it all back together but it still felt like crap.

Then I put his original connector back in and it felt great; smooth and consistent. Then I installed the 3.5 in my G32 and it felt like crap as well.

What's going on with this thing and has anyone ever had it happened before? He's going to run the regular connector for now but what am I missing here? I'm pretty sure it's a GLOCK connector and I'm pretty sure it's brand new.

Any ideas?

bigbore
09-06-06, 21:39
It lightens the "pull" by adding more "creep". It contacts at a different angle, which is easier to pull, but it pulls longer. It sucks.

Anyone who alters anything mechanical on a Glock should have their head examined. Leave it mechanically as it came from the box, thats the way it works best;)

M4arc
09-06-06, 21:43
This was not easier to pull...it was rough and very mechanical feeling. Nothing like a G34/35 trigger with the OEM 3.5lb connector.

USMC03
09-06-06, 21:55
Marc,

When all else fails, there is Jeff's rules for Glock owners :D :

"Jeff's Rules for Glock Owners"

I heard a wise woman once say: "It's in a man's blood to tinker with things".

I think it's in most of our blood to thinker with things in an attempt to make them better.

Glocks are one of those things in life that come "perfect" from the factory.....So if you have a Glock follow these simple rules....AND DON'T MESS WITH YOUR GLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff's rules for new Glock owners:

1) Get a Glock

2) Get a set of quality sights for it (ie. Henie, Straight 8's, XS Big Dot, Trijicon, etc).

3) Don't mess with anything else on the pistol.

4) Get PLENTY of ammo.

5) Shoot the heck out of your Glock.

6) Change the mag springs as needed and change the recoil spring with a factory recoil spring assemtly ($3 from Glock) every 5,000 rounds or so. Also change out the trigger return spring when you change out the recoil spring assembly.

That is everything you need to know about Glocks.

Someone will be along shortly to tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about, and chances are they don't even own a Glock. ;)

M4arc
09-06-06, 22:06
Jeff & Steve,

I hear what you guys are saying and under normal circumstances I would agree with you (all of my GLOCKs are bone stock). But this guy owns a G34 and a G19 and he wants the same connectors in both guns for consistency reasons. So it was either a 5lb in the G34 or a 3.5lb in the G19. One way or another he wanted me to swap a connector and since he's an accomplished 1911 guy he's used to the lighter trigger pulls.

Like I said I'm pretty sure (99%) that this is a GLOCK 3.5lb connector because it has that little minus sign marking on it but I can't figure out why it's so freaking rough.

What's else is different between the G34/35 and other models besides the 3.5lb connector? Are any of the springs different?

Wayne Dobbs
09-06-06, 22:36
Given your description of how the action felt, I doubt you have a genuine Glock part. The minus connector has a bit more creep due to the engineering of how the part works, but you shouldn't have any grinding, etc. Bet you have a Scherer or other POS aftermarket part. Has anybody been at work in your gun with a Dremel or other "gunsmithing"?

ArchAngel
09-07-06, 01:15
Nothing inside the frame - as far as mechanicals go - are different from the G34/35 to the G17/G22, G19/G23 except the ejectors.

As previously stated, the angles on the connectors are different between the 3.5 and the 5.

I would be willing to bet it's an aftermarket connector.

What's the condition of the trigger spring?

You could try swapping the connectors - put the one from the G34 into the G19 and put this "new" connector into the G34 and see if it does the same thing but since you already put it in your Glock and got the same feeling you know it's the connector.

VA_Dinger
09-07-06, 12:35
That’s my G19 getting the 3.5# connector.

As Marc stated it was an attempt to have the same trigger in both my Glocks (G19 & G34).

I originally did not like the G34 stock trigger, but having shot my Hilton tuned 1911 (4#) for the past six months I've grown used to them and now actually prefer 4# triggers. It’s my understanding that a stock 3.5# connector provides a 4# trigger pull when used with standard (Stock) Glock springs.

While I agree in principal to Jeff’s “Rules for Glock Owners”, I don’t see a problem swapping factory Glock parts for factory Glock parts. As a matter of fact several of the finest shooters I have ever met use factory 3.5# connectors in all their Glocks.

To me it was just an attempt to have the same exact trigger in both my Glocks for the added familiarization and proficiency.

My guess is it was just a bad Glock part or the dealer sold me aftermarket. I have sense located a known to be factory connector (It came out of my old G34) and will try this again.

Bulldog1967
09-07-06, 13:38
And if you HAVE to f with it, let GotM4 do it, he's THE MAN!

M4arc
09-07-06, 15:08

So you're saying I can't change out a connector? :(

TOrrock
09-07-06, 16:21

Damn....just damn......:D

Dport
09-07-06, 16:58
I've read about many different experiences with factory Glock connectors. I've seen where some prefer one aftermarket type or another because Glock doesn't seem to QC their connectors very well. If that is the truth or there are some crooked dealers that sell aftermarket connectors as OEM, I don't think we'll know until Glock marks their parts with something more than a plus or minus sign.

Anyway, the grinding feeling may be a result of a new part matched with worn parts and the surfaces are uneven. Or the new part may need a bit of polishing, see rant above.

As for the view that a Glock needs nothing more than a good set of night sights, well that's one view. I don't agree. Personally, I think the Glock has more than enough reliability to mess with it a bit to squeeze out some accuracy, ie retrofitting with an Bar Sto barrel. Improving the trigger via some reputable methods, the connector switch is the simplest but is most subject to opinion. And of all things, it appears that there is an aftermarket slide lock that makes the barrel lock up more consitant and contributes to accuracy.

Of course, if you're of the opinion that a handgun should be like an AK, abused and reliable anyway, then leave the Glock stock. But if you actually clean your gun every 1000 rounds or so, you have some room to tweak.

VA_Dinger
09-07-06, 23:16
So you're saying I can't change out a connector? :(

:D

Don't worry, your job as my resident Glock armor is safe.

HotRod9mm
09-08-06, 00:35
I have seen venders try to pass off Scherer connectors for factory Glock. Not that Scherer's are junk but some are sub-standard. Here is a pic of several differant connectors. Also a guy on eBay sells some VERY old stock factory connectors and some of them are not real good even though they are Glock. Just about all use the "-" on the connector.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/hotrod9mm/Connectors-All.jpg

Wayne Dobbs
09-08-06, 01:07
Hey Hot Rod,

Thanks so much for that photo! I will save that one for future reference.

WD

Robb Jensen
09-08-06, 05:00
Sometimes you just get bad connectors. :mad:

das028
09-26-06, 14:19
Nothing wrong with installing a 3.5 connector. It purely a personal choice. Some like it some dont. If done correctly using a Glock factory part, it does not effect reliablity at all. I use one in m G19. I also like to change out the guide rod to something more durable (tungstun, SS, titanium), which will not effect reliablity what so ever! Period

Everything else leave it stock, unless of coarse, its a range toy or a IPSC/IDPA gun. If thats the case I like to plug and play with different spring weights to get the trigger and the action were you like it.

das028
09-26-06, 14:22
Marc,

When all else fails, there is Jeff's rules for Glock owners :D :

"Jeff's Rules for Glock Owners"

I heard a wise woman once say: "It's in a man's blood to tinker with things".

I think it's in most of our blood to thinker with things in an attempt to make them better.

Glocks are one of those things in life that come "perfect" from the factory.....So if you have a Glock follow these simple rules....AND DON'T MESS WITH YOUR GLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff's rules for new Glock owners:

1) Get a Glock

2) Get a set of quality sights for it (ie. Henie, Straight 8's, XS Big Dot, Trijicon, etc).

3) Don't mess with anything else on the pistol.

4) Get PLENTY of ammo.

5) Shoot the heck out of your Glock.

6) Change the mag springs as needed and change the recoil spring with a factory recoil spring assemtly ($3 from Glock) every 5,000 rounds or so. Also change out the trigger return spring when you change out the recoil spring assembly.

That is everything you need to know about Glocks.

Someone will be along shortly to tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about, and chances are they don't even own a Glock. ;)

Nothing wrong with installing a 3.5lb connector, and changing out your guide rod. Or installing a extended slide stop lever, for that matter. Other then that your absolutely correct.

jmart
09-26-06, 16:07
There's a bazillion threads on this topic over at GLOCKTALK. Check them out. There's also a simple polishing job that can be performed to smooth things up. if it's still crap then you either have a bad connector or another bad stock part that only rears it's ugly head when the 3.5 connector is installed.

stuntmedic
09-26-06, 16:16
In my latest Glock Armorer Course we were told by the Glock rep that Glock is no longer selling the 3.5 connector, they wil only be offered in the Glock 34/35 models. If you can find the factory connectors, snag them they are only going to be harder to find in the future. I run them in all my Glocks (26, 2 19's, 17 & 34) with no problems whatsoever and only makes them easier to shoot accurately.

mayonaise
09-26-06, 16:35
Personally I think the 3.5# connector sucks. The 5# with some work breaks much cleaner. Using nothing more than a brownells stone (don't use a dremel) to flatten (which is what you want and can't do with a dremel) and smooth the mating surfaces and replacing the trigger spring with an extra power spring from Glockmeister. That eases the take up a bit. I've heard but not used the OEM NY trigger spring does the same. I would stay away from the reduced power striker springs the benefit for me was clearly offset by the number of light primer strikes to warrant immediate removal.

Good luck.

forster
09-26-06, 18:16
I have 3.5lb connectors (glock) in all 3 of mine, no problems.

I concur you either got a bad glock connector or a cheap pos knockoff.

VA_Dinger
09-26-06, 23:02
I concur you either got a bad glock connector or a cheap pos knockoff.

I will know soon enough.

I got my hands on a known to be factory 3.5# connector and it's getting installed this week. A friend hooked me up with the one that came stock in his G34.

M4arc
10-23-06, 09:22
This weekend I installed a known (Glock) 3.5lb connector in dinger's G19 and it fells great!

We're still not sure what's up with the other connector but it appears to be a bad one. Whether or not it's actually a Glock connector is unknown but the problem is solved now so we won't worry about it any more.

VA_Dinger
10-23-06, 09:33
This weekend I installed a known (Glock) 3.5lb connector in dinger's G19 and it fells great!

We're still not sure what's up with the other connector but it appears to be a bad one. Whether or not it's actually a Glock connector is unknown but the problem is solved now so we won't worry about it any more.

It feels great.

Thanks Marc.

You are my resident Glock armor. :D

HotRod9mm
10-23-06, 22:20
....We're still not sure what's up with the other connector but it appears to be a bad one. ......

Send it my way and I will try and find out just who made it and I'll let you know.

jmart
10-23-06, 22:27
About Glock not selling 3.5 connectors anymore, you'll still be able to get Scherer's, Ghost's or Lone Wolf's any day of the week. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if outfits like CGR, LW and others still couldn;t get them.

I don't buy into the idea that all aftermarket connectors are crap and only Glocks are decent. It's stamped metal for goodness sakes, it's not like it's cutting edge engineering. You could have received a bad one but any reputable dealer would take it back and exchange it for a new one.

Wayne Dobbs
10-24-06, 01:29
Jmart,

You may be right about the others not being crap. The only problem with that is that the others are way the hell over-represented with failures compared to the genuine part. Whenever I hear an AGSMG (that's an "Accidental Glock Sub Machine Gun) on the range, more often than not we have, you guessed it, an aftermarket minus connector (usually a Scherer).

That part is then "repaired" by throwing it over the berm and replacing same with a Glock connector and the gun magically starts working correctly again. I am sure that there are decent aftermarket parts out there, but I don't have the time to make sure they're decent in a gun I use to protect my hide.

If your Glock is a toy, then play with it all you want and tinker with it until it quits running. If it's a piece of last ditch, life saving safety equipment, follow USMC03's excellent advice and don't dick with the gun's internals at all.

VA_Dinger
10-24-06, 02:53
Whats the difference between a stock G34/35 trigger and a box stock G19 w/ factory Glock 3.5# connector?

M4arc
10-24-06, 06:26
Send it my way and I will try and find out just who made it and I'll let you know.

Good idea, will do!

Wayne Dobbs
10-24-06, 06:46
VA Dinger,

Both those triggers should be the same. I wish that Glock would sell the minus connector here w/o the restrictions and hassle. That is the standard connector in Europe and elsewhere. And in reality, the trigger with a minus connector and stock trigger return spring is about 4.5#, which is within a reasonable range for a service trigger.

Yojimbo
10-24-06, 11:22
It's good to see you got this worked out.

I'm not a fan of Glock's 3.5# connector because it always felt mushy to me. I use a Scherer 3.5# connector on my carry gun and the Scherer's always felt a lot better, with a crisper break.

I've never figured out why the Scherer connector was so much better then the Glock connector. I can't imagine there's too many different ways to make a 3.5# connector...:confused:

Neville
10-24-06, 12:11
If there is such a demand for Glock minus connectors, I may be able to get you a few. However, with Glocks going for 700,- Euros here, I doubt the price would be fair.

M4arc
10-24-06, 12:24
If there is such a demand for Glock minus connectors, I may be able to get you a few. However, with Glocks going for 700,- Euros here, I doubt the price would be fair.

Damn, you live in Austria? That must be Glock heaven :D

Akoni
10-24-06, 12:31
In my latest Glock Armorer Course we were told by the Glock rep that Glock is no longer selling the 3.5 connector, they wil only be offered in the Glock 34/35 models. If you can find the factory connectors, snag them they are only going to be harder to find in the future. I run them in all my Glocks (26, 2 19's, 17 & 34) with no problems whatsoever and only makes them easier to shoot accurately.

Where can one get a genuine Glock 3.5 lb connector?

Neville
10-24-06, 12:33
Yep, I am Austrian. But, even if one leaves laws aside, "heaven" is not really the term to describe European gun ownership. Glock is much more supportive of US shooters and the prices in the US are waaaay cheaper. We don't hear about upgrades, there has never been a single recall. Nevertheless Glocks abound here- after all they are still the most affordable quality guns. Never mind HKs or SIGs for over 1300,- Euros, or wannabe-M4 clones for 2500,- Euros and IMI M193 for 450,- Euro/1000rds ..... :(

Back to topic of genuine connectors- I may have a contact in Deutsch-Wagram and will see what I can do.

Dport
10-24-06, 17:05
Whats the difference between a stock G34/35 trigger and a box stock G19 w/ factory Glock 3.5# connector?
Depends on which connector the G34/G35 was shipped with. They do ship with 5.5 in addition to 3.5# connectors.

Also the G19 has those snazzy serrations on its trigger.

VA_Dinger
10-24-06, 18:08
Depends on which connector the G34/G35 was shipped with. They do ship with 5.5 in addition to 3.5# connectors.

Also the G19 has those snazzy serrations on its trigger.

Glock ships G34/35’s with both connectors now? Everyone I’ve ever seen came stock with a 3.5#.

jmart
10-24-06, 18:21
I always thought they were shipped w/3.5, but also with a std trigger spring and firing pin spring. You can go lighter on those as well, but I'd be pretty reluctant to do so on a defensive sidearm.

Dport
10-24-06, 18:53
Glock ships G34/35’s with both connectors now? Everyone I’ve ever seen came stock with a 3.5#.
They have for years now. Mostly those go to PD's who are scared of the 3.5# version.

The reason Glock will ship civilians the 3.5# G34/35 is the same reason they ship the G17L and G24 with the 3.5# (when they decide to ship them here that is). They consider those models to be "competition" models.

Wayne Dobbs
10-25-06, 01:11
I should probably clarify my answer. G34/35s are shipped standard with the minus connector and the coil trigger spring. G19s are shipped standard with the 5.5# connector and the coil spring. If you are ORDERING one, like from the LE or GSSF purchase program you can order the 34/35 with:

* the above minus/coil combo
* the above 5.5/coil combo
* the minus with an NY1 trigger spring

If you order a G19, you can get:

* the above 5.5/coil
* 5.5/NY1
* 5.5/NY2 (the only version NYCPD authorizes)
* 8.0/coil

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 11:15
I personally think that the Spring in the Glock is PURE garbage and so is the guide rod. Which is why I changed them out for a SS captured guide rod and a ISMI CS spring. Then again I am a spring Nazi.

Trigger pull is a personal thing, but keeping all your weapons with the same trigger pull is a good idea IMHO. Consistency is a good thing in my book.

C4

HotRod9mm
10-25-06, 22:42
Where can one get a genuine Glock 3.5 lb connector?

I still have a small bag full that I purchased several months ago. PM me as I might sell a few.

The BIG reason Gaston dropped the #3.5 is from a sue happy legal system. Hollweird coined the "hair" trigger and even though the #3.5 is not even close to some of the 1911 triggers, when you are king of the hill, the lawyers are always looking for pockets to get their hands into.