PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Announcement re: Handgun Carry Permit Expiration Dates

crhoades
01-10-13, 15:14
All,

Thought I would share a friendly reminder to review your CCW expiration date. Late last year I was pulled over for a traffic stop as I was on my way to a co-workers house to go shooting. Handed my permit to the officer and informed him that I had a firearm on my person. Everything went well. He came back and asked to see my permit again. After a few minutes he returned and asked me if I realized that my permit had expired 2 weeks prior.

Long story short, he was very gracious as he could have taken my guns and impounded my car etc. for illegally carrying. He did none of that. Went to court today and showed them a renewed permit and the case was dismissed with me having to pay court costs.

This was a $375 mistake that I shouldn't have made and could have been worse. I now have a reminder in my calendar for 3.5 years from now.

Insta-Gator
01-10-13, 15:38
What state? In GA it could be laying on the seat or in a glove box/ console without permit. Our permits are only for conceal carry.

It's auto-correct via Tapatalk 2, figure it out. :D

crhoades
01-10-13, 15:42
TN. It was a loaded LCP in my front pocket. AR, 9mm, .22 in the trunk. And I do know that I was not required to even offer my permit to the officer. My thoughts have always been that they can check the records and know that I have one anyway.

He mentioned that because I was cordial and and helpful it played into his discretion.

rockonman
01-10-13, 16:03
When I renewed mine last time I'd accidentally let it expire, and it took quite a while to get it approved again. I don't know if it takes less time if you go before it expires, but if not then make sure you go early enough to give them time to process it. Of course, I live in Huntington, WV...everyone here has a concealed weapons permit...the lady in the sheriffs office told me that, and I thought she was joking. She stopped working on the paperwork and looked up and said, "No, really...EVERYONE...I can't give you exact numbers, but everyone here carries."

skydivr
01-10-13, 16:19
TN. It was a loaded LCP in my front pocket. AR, 9mm, .22 in the trunk. And I do know that I was not required to even offer my permit to the officer. My thoughts have always been that they can check the records and know that I have one anyway.

He mentioned that because I was cordial and and helpful it played into his discretion.

I'm in TN also. I received letter from state in Nov notifying me that mine was going to expire. I took the form down to the driver's license station and submitted it there (so that I had a receipt)(that receipt counts as a permit for a certain period of time after expiration).

Three weeks later I got a letter saying I'd missed something that I needed to correct (even though I went over it with examiner before submitting), so I corrected it, faxed to them, called and confirmed receipt (with name). That was 12/17/12. After reading your post, I called them today to make sure there wern't any other 'issues'; they again acknowleged receipt of my correcting fax and told me to check w/them in about a week (as they admitted to being backed up).

I sure don't want mine to expire while I fool around w/this...

Also, I have also personally found that cordially notifying the officer seems to elicit professional courtesy. Speak up LE's, but I assume you'd appreciate the respect of notification, rather than finding it inconveniently.

Moltke
01-10-13, 16:32
If you live in Viriginia make sure to do your renewal MORE THAN 45 days prior to your expiration date so that you get your permit and it doesn't lapse.

gan1hck
01-10-13, 16:40
My county used to send renewal notices, but then it stopped. I always send my renewal in early, and the new expiration date is always on the date of re - issue....so my permit expiration date moves earlier every year...kind of a pain.

Rinspeed
01-10-13, 20:18
My main permit is sadly NY and they don't expire. Both PA and Utah are very good about sending out their notice a couple months in advance. I just got my PA renewal notice and the fee is a whopping $6. :D

davidz71
01-10-13, 20:47
I'm in TN. and when my permit is within 45 days of expiring, I drive to the local driver's license station, tell them I want to renew for another 4 years and they check my information for any changes. They then take my $50 and take a new picture of me. I get a receipt form, good in case my permit card does not arrive within 4-6 weeks and I am out the door. I've renewed twice since getting my permit. As one TN. resident has already mentioned, TN. sends out renewal notices well in advance but the USPS can mess these up from time to time.

CoryCop25
01-10-13, 20:53
In PA, there is a 60 day grace period from the expiration date.

crhoades
01-10-13, 20:54
I'm in TN. and when my permit is within 45 days of expiring, I drive to the local driver's license station, tell them I want to renew for another 4 years and they check my information for any changes. They then take my $50 and take a new picture of me. I get a receipt form, good in case my permit card does not arrive within 4-6 weeks and I am out the door. I've renewed twice since getting my permit. As one TN. resident has already mentioned, TN. sends out renewal notices well in advance but the USPS can mess these up from time to time.

Yes, but this presupposes attention to detail, a lack of procrastination, and checking your mail on a regular basis!

sjc3081
01-10-13, 21:16
Believe it or not, my full carry NYS is a lifetime permit.

halfkorean
01-10-13, 21:36
Our county used to send out notices, too, but stopped a couple of years ago. However, they are pretty lenient after the expiration.

Gabe

Mistakes brought to you by my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Vic303
01-10-13, 21:39
Texas sends you written notice 6mo in advance of expiration so you can get it submitted early. Current renewal time was about 45 calendar days (mid Oct to early Dec 2012). I suspect the backlog is much higher now post election and Sandy Hook...:(

davidz71
01-10-13, 22:12
Yes, but this presupposes attention to detail, a lack of procrastination, and checking your mail on a regular basis!

Sure, I understand. I didn't want the money I sank into getting the permit to go down the drain so I checked my card periodically. I understand your situation fully and I'm glad you posted the warning so that others check their dates. My wife is a licensed RN. It has been normal for her to receive a notice of renewal but one time in the past it did not arrive. She realized that her license had lapsed by two weeks and notified the appropriate individuals. She had to meet a medical board of some type and they gave her a stern warning not to let it happen again. She was allowed to renew her license. Likewise, I have to keep up certifications associated with law enforcement so I am checking them on an annual basis.

crhoades
01-10-13, 22:17
I'm trying to be lighthearted about it but in reality I am pissed at myself. Not as much about the money, although there is that... We are supposed to be the responsible ones. If we decide to carry on a regular basis that is a statement of responsibility. Doing what I did is a direct contradiction to that. I can make excuses and jokes but it was irresponsible on my part. The money spent is a stupid tax and a good reminder.

AKDoug
01-11-13, 01:37
You guys need to start lobbying for no permit required like Vermont, Arizona and Alaska :dance3: We can still go through the process so we can have reciprocity with other states, but there is no requirement to do so.

LDM
01-11-13, 09:28
Thanks for starting this thread. In all likelihood you saved me a big headache, albeit at the cost of a small one.
Checked my permit and I expire this year in April. So no big deal... WRONG.
Called sheriff's department a minute ago and was advised first available APPOINTMENT is March 12th.
Everything is ONLY by appointment. And the lady laughed when I first said something about Mondays being best for me. She quickly advised that THEY would tell me when to come, and then proceeded to give instructions which even included where to stand in the hall when I got there. (playing in my head is Paul Newman in "Cool Hand Luke" saying "yeah Boss!")
I like things done in an orderly and proficient manner as much as the next guy, but this just seemed a bit much. Makes the driver's license bureau seem consumer friendly.

wingspar
01-11-13, 18:49
Permits here are issued by the County Sheriff. It is your responsibility to renew well before it expires. They do not send out notices. If you do renew early, it’s as easy as writing a check. If you let it expire, then you have to start all over as if you have never had a permit. They are by appointment only, and only on Tuesdays.

It’s probably been more than 20 years since I’ve been pulled over, and that was well before I had a permit.

halfkorean
01-11-13, 19:21
You guys need to start lobbying for no permit required like Vermont, Arizona and Alaska :dance3: We can still go through the process so we can have reciprocity with other states, but there is no requirement to do so.

I don't necessarily agree with having no permits. You don't have to have training in Alabama to apply and receive a permit, which, even though I will probably get flack for, I do not agree with. I just think basic training is part of responsible firearm ownership. I don't believe training should be difficult but at the same time I think they should go over basic items like how you should carry (using a holster), what a proper situation for you to draw your firearm (like not just because you have a disagreement with someone), and proper storage of a firearm. Sorry to derail.