PDA

View Full Version : best benchrest type precision single stage press?

jayjaytuner
02-29-08, 17:37
i read the Forster Co-Ax was one of the top of the line
also the harrells precision has a nice single stage

anyone have any experience with either, or reccomendations, i have a rock chucker but want somthing better, more precise

toddackerman
03-01-08, 10:11
If you're looking for a Bench Rest quality set-up, you should consider what the Bench Rest guys use. L.E. Wilson Hand Dies.

There is no way you can do a true "Full Length" re-size on a lever type press because the shell holder won't allow it. With the L.E. Wilson dies, the case goes all the way into the die to the very end of the case head.

If you don't want to go this way, I suggest Redding Presses and Dies.

jayjaytuner
03-01-08, 10:49
Im going to most likely go with wilson dies.........but im looking for a very high quality single stage press at the moment, got the dies on my list...

jmart
03-01-08, 12:37
What are you loading, cartridge and rifle platform?

TY44934
03-01-08, 12:55
If you're looking for a Bench Rest quality set-up, you should consider what the Bench Rest guys use. L.E. Wilson Hand Dies.

There is no way you can do a true "Full Length" re-size on a lever type press because the shell holder won't allow it. With the L.E. Wilson dies, the case goes all the way into the die to the very end of the case head.

If you don't want to go this way, I suggest Redding Presses and Dies.

Agreed. That was the set up a friend used when he shot for the Maryland state rifle team w/ a NM M1A. No shell holder used at all; he had an in-line seater that was set into a machinist's granite surface plate for absolute precision; result was bench rest capable 7.62 ammo.

jayjaytuner
03-01-08, 13:16
What are you loading, cartridge and rifle platform?

gonna be using lapua brass, 175 grain match kings to start

So the arbor press is used in conjunction to the wilson dies?

jayjaytuner
03-01-08, 13:19
Agreed. That was the set up a friend used when he shot for the Maryland state rifle team w/ a NM M1A. No shell holder used at all; he had an in-line seater that was set into a machinist's granite surface plate for absolute precision; result was bench rest capable 7.62 ammo.

im assuming the wilson dies are not typical srew in type dies? is the arbor press used with these?
sorry im new to these dies, i have experince with regualr rifle and handgun reloading, but want to start going the benchrest route quality reloads

jmart
03-01-08, 13:30
gonna be using lapua brass, 175 grain match kings to start

So the arbor press is used in conjunction to the wilson dies?

Yes. Are you loading for a .308 or a longer cartridge? What rifle platform, precision bolt gun?

jayjaytuner
03-01-08, 13:42
Yes. Are you loading for a .308 or a longer cartridge? What rifle platform, precision bolt gun?

Yea .308, precision bolt action

jmart
03-01-08, 19:16
My recommendation would be to upgarade dies and don't worry about the press. A RC will work fine. The only reason I would consider an arbor press is if you want to load at the range.

Having said that, I would recommend either a Redding Bushing die or a Redding Body die for resizing. If you go bushing there are two options: a FL die w/neck bushings or a neck sizer only, using bushings. If you opt for the latter, then you'll need to pair it with a Body die for an occasional shoulder bump.

A third option is a Body die and a Lee Collet die. Don't turn up your nose at the Lee die because of the price, it is an outstanding system for neck sizing, and the added benefit is it isn't sensitive to neck wall thickness like a bushing die is. You can end up spending $40-50 just in bushings before you hit the right one, and that will only be good for a certain neck thickness. Lee mandrels are $5 from Lee, you can get a die and order two extra mandrels, one ground .001 under and the other .002 under and you are covered for experimentation with varying neck tensions. Or you can just polish them down with crocus cloth and a drill, but as the saying goes, "you can polish them down, but you can't polish them up".

For a seater, get either a Redding or Forster BR seater. They are good, they support the bullets as they are being seated. Concentricity can be held to just a couple of thousandths which is pretty good. If you want better than that, then you'll need to turn necks, which probably won't yield any benefit, at least not with a stock chamber. If this is a tight necked custom barrel/chamber job, then yes, go ahead and turn necks, but that is a lot of work.

Check out 6mmbr.com, there's a lot of precision shooters over there and they can give some good advice.