PDA

View Full Version : Noveske MUR Upper and Troy TRX Battlerail not compatible?

RHINOWSO
01-10-13, 18:52
Quick question after searching the website and the internet for clues.

I'm pretty experienced with the lower portion of the AR system, having built 4 lowers, swapped trigger parts, ambi safeties and the like. But all my previous uppers came complete - I'm rebuilding my registered SBR upper and had planned on using the following parts

Noveske MUR Upper (complete)
Noveske Stainless 10.5 Barrel with carbine gas
AAC 51T Blackout Suppressor mount
Quality BCG
BCM Gunfighter CH

I have everything except the BCG with the recent run on stuff, but have one backordered and could rob from another AR if need be for the time being.

I purchased a lightly used black Troy TRX 9" battlerail with all the extras (barrel nut, wrench, etc).

Tonight I tried to piece together the upper (not assemble, but inserted the barrel into the upper, put the barrel nut on, and then attempted to put the Troy Battlerail on). However the Troy Battlerail has an anti-rotation tab on it which is supposed to fit against the side of the upper, but when putting it on seems to not work - even adjusting the barrel nut a little (realize that it'll have to be in a specific spot for the gas tube), this little tab appears to be too low to slide past and sit against the MUR upper.

The pic is from Troys website and the tab I'm talking about is on the left upper side of the photo.

http://store.troyind.com/v/vspfiles/photos/STRX-STA-F9FT-00-2.jpg

Anyway, if anyone has any advice, it would be appreciated. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. I got the Troy for a good deal, so I'm not upset - like I said it's my first upper build, so a learning curve is to be expected.

And if this rail wont work with the MUR, any advice on a quad rail 7-9" long that will work with the MUR would be appreciated (Troy, DD, etc)? I can always use the rail on another build or resell it.

Thanks,

Atticus_1354
01-10-13, 18:57
Well the MUR has slightly different dimensions that a regular upper. That is probably causing the problem. You could slowly file off parts of the tab until it fits against the MUR. That is the best I can say without holding the parts or a picture of the problem

RHINOWSO
01-10-13, 19:06
Well the MUR has slightly different dimensions that a regular upper. That is probably causing the problem. You could slowly file off parts of the tab until it fits against the MUR. That is the best I can say without holding the parts or a picture of the problemYeah, a picture is worth a thousand words, right? ;)

Here it is, that must be the issue. I just flipped them upside down so the rails would be level for photo purposes.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/65F79F28-7640-40DC-9184-8FA6E4FA8726-38675-00000ADE3EB6FD96.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/6844E29A-40E4-4574-B99D-F7B44C41E358-38675-00000ADDF90D87BD.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/8B9FA67C-232D-43F9-B12B-D3B708FA05D0-38675-00000ADDF3514B4C.jpg

I guess I could file the small portion of that tab down, or I guess just get a different rail. I had heard of different pattern uppers and the MUR specifically, but didn't think about this.

Learn something new everyday!

Onyx Z
01-10-13, 19:45
Is the alignment tab really THAT necessary? Cant you just cut it off?

I'm not saying I would cut it off, but I am wanting Noveske MUR when they are available and be able to keep my Troy alpha handguard... And if that's what it takes, then ill do what I have to do to make it work.

RHINOWSO
01-10-13, 20:02
Is the alignment tab really THAT necessary? Cant you just cut it off?

I'm not saying I would cut it off, but I am wanting Noveske MUR when they are available and be able to keep my Troy alpha handguard... And if that's what it takes, then ill do what I have to do to make it work.
Looking at closer, I think it would be pretty easy to shave the tab down by about 1/3 to 1/2 from the inside and then it would all fit together. Not sure if the Alpha rail has the same tab, but several DD rails appear to have something similar.

I think I'll probably try to file it down, as I like the rail, this is really the only thing keeping me from using it at this time.

I think the rotation tab is important, depending on the mounting system. Some don't seem to have them but have different mounting barrel nuts / etc to keep rotation from happening.

Onyx Z
01-10-13, 20:51
Looking at closer, I think it would be pretty easy to shave the tab down by about 1/3 to 1/2 from the inside and then it would all fit together. Not sure if the Alpha rail has the same tab, but several DD rails appear to have something similar.

I think I'll probably try to file it down, as I like the rail, this is really the only thing keeping me from using it at this time.

I think the rotation tab is important, depending on the mounting system. Some don't seem to have them but have different mounting barrel nuts / etc to keep rotation from happening.

ya my alpha rail does have the tab, but i dont see why it is entirely necessary; only used as a backup or to keep it straight when tightening. once you lock down the 3 screws, i dont see it going anywhere... just my opinion.

Iraqgunz
01-10-13, 21:55
The problem is that you are using an older Vltor or Noveske MUR upper. I do not recommend you grinding the anti-rotation tabs. But its your upper. Rock out with your rail out.

RHINOWSO
01-10-13, 21:59
The problem is that you are using an older Vltor or Noveske MUR upper. I do not recommend you grinding the anti-rotation tabs. But its your upper. Rock out with your rail out.

Interesting, since I received this directly from Noveske, along with a 10.5 barrel just today. New old stock or something with this gun rush going on?

Any recommendations on rails that would fit well with this upper? The rail didn't cost me much and I could resell it and get something that fit better.

Iraqgunz
01-10-13, 22:18
The Noveske MUR are made like that for them. There aren't many options I am aware of that will allow for any rail with anti tabs to fit because of the design. Maybe a LaRue or DD. I may be off base this is based on my recollections only.

I doubt that anyone has any "new old stock" anywhere.

Interesting, since I received this directly from Noveske, along with a 10.5 barrel just today. New old stock or something with this gun rush going on?

Any recommendations on rails that would fit well with this upper? The rail didn't cost me much and I could resell it and get something that fit better.

RHINOWSO
01-10-13, 22:31
The Noveske MUR are made like that for them. There aren't many options I am aware of that will allow for any rail with anti tabs to fit because of the design. Maybe a LaRue or DD. I may be off base this is based on my recollections only.

I doubt that anyone has any "new old stock" anywhere.
Thanks for your help, it was more a response to that being an older design MUR, since it shipped directly from Noveske on 29 Dec 2012 - It is Noveske & VLTOR marked, as well as appearing identical to my complete Noveske Light Carbine Upper which I purchased via Rainier 3 months ago.

I'm looking at some other rails, some of the tubular designs look like they might fit, as they have barrel nuts that seem to take anti rotation screws.

Like I said in the beginning, this is my first upper build - I've read pretty extensively on the subject here and other places, but there is nothing like actually getting your hands on the stuff and figuring out what is what.

Todd.K
01-11-13, 10:34
More here

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=120164