PDA

View Full Version : Question on Springfield TRP......

bruce21b
01-11-13, 05:25
do ALL TRP's come with that internal-locking system you have to have the little-key for???

that is the only thing i do not like about that pistol, and may be the deciding factor on whether i buy that gun or something else.....

and to those of you who own this gun, ever had any problems out of this lock??????

Dave Berryhill
01-11-13, 06:18
Replacing the MSH guts is a very inexpensive solution.

Johnny Rico
01-11-13, 09:48
Most Springfields, the sole exceptions being the Custom Shop guns, have the ILS.

+1. The Springfield ILS is the one departure from the original design that is easily remedied. Series 80, Schwartz safety, you're pretty much stuck with them. It's a small thing to get rid of the ILS and you shouldn't let it dissuade you from getting the TRP if it is a gun you want.

smoky
01-11-13, 10:20
I have a Springfield that came with the ILS MSH and it never gave me any issues. I just recently replaced the MSH with a non ILS part. Took me about 10 minutes to do the swap.

FAB45
01-11-13, 20:42
The ILS can be changed in minutes, an easy fix if you don't care for it (most don't)

kodiakpb
01-12-13, 20:41
Did you guys find that you had to fit them? Or did they pretty much drop in?

You have any links on the MSH you guys used?

1911-A1
01-12-13, 22:24
I believe Smith & Alexander make msh that match the checkering on the TRP.

madryan
01-12-13, 22:50
Did you guys find that you had to fit them? Or did they pretty much drop in?

You have any links on the MSH you guys used?

S&A generally match and look great. The problem is they drill the cross pin hole to fit a wide variety of pistol frames so there may or may not be a gap between the well and the end of the grip.

The SACS orders them without the crosspin hole drilled so they can fit them.

I think if you snag a 2 piece like the Ed-Brown it may be easier to fit.

Skudshark
01-17-13, 13:26
Never used it on mine, but its never given me a problem either, like everyone else says, easy fix tho, 10-15 min and its gone. You'll love the gun, get it if you can.

theJanitor
01-17-13, 13:32
Like Dave said, replace the guts of the MSH with standard Gov't parts. You can retain the housing itself

Lincoln7
01-17-13, 14:16
Is there a chance the ILS 'tumbler' could rotate inadvertantly and prevent the hammer from operating with GI internals installed? If not answered I will check when I get home and report back.

cagusmc
01-17-13, 22:34

+1. I did that right away. The parts needed were cheap.

t0kie
01-18-13, 00:55
As others have said, it's easy to replace & it is inexpensive too.