PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 for FNX?

chuckman
01-11-13, 07:50
Generally I don't care for the this-vs-that type of thread, but I have read quite a bit about the FNX and wish to defer to people with experience. I have 2 Glock 17s, a good Gen 3 and one of the 'updated' gen 4's. Someone wants to trade a FNX for the gen 4. Is the FNX worth the trade?

polymorpheous
01-11-13, 08:25
No deal.
I'd keep the Glock.
Why invest in different magazines, holsters, ammo, etc.?

sammage
01-11-13, 09:31
Does the FNX offer something tangible that the Glock 17 does not, or is this a grass is greener scenario?

Kenneth
01-11-13, 09:52
Both are great pistols but being in my situation where I have M&P's, CZ's, Hk's etc. it sucks having to keep up with so many mags and equipment for each. If I was going to do over again I would try and combine as much as possible and share mags, holsters, and mag holders.

The FNX is pretty nice and I say if you just want it then do the trade. It will be a lot different from the flock you currently own. I do not believe there is a huge amount if aftermarket support though.

G woody
01-11-13, 12:16
I have a FNP, basically the same pistol. It has been 100% reliable over 2000 rounds. But, you are switching to a different operating system, DA/SA. Also, from what I've read the manufacturer isn't in much of a hurry to effect repairs, should you have a problem !!! As someone else posted, not much aftermarket support.

ffhounddog
01-11-13, 12:22
Also think about buying new Magazines. As we know right now there is a shortage on many for other pistols. I would say keeping the Glock 17 would be a better investment shooting wise and magazine wise and it is equal in quality to the FNX in many areas.

I had the FNX9 and sold it a year ago. Good Gun just finding magazines for it even in better times than we are today was still difficult.

punkey71
01-11-13, 12:25
That was the key for me right there.

I was debating jumping ship to FN or S&W.

When I added up all the RCS holsters, mag carriers and mags it was over $1000 I would be switching out on top of the firearms. Certainly taking a hit selling used and buying new as well.

No deal.
I'd keep the Glock.
Why invest in different magazines, holsters, ammo, etc.?

Voodoo_Man
01-11-13, 13:21
FNX is a great gun. What exactly are you looking for in terms of this gun? The only pistol, other than my glocks, I really like the is the FNX9/40/45 platform. (same lower for the most part different upper, obviously)

If you have never shot one, I would suggest you try it out. The gun is great for target/matches/etc. I would suggest its slightly too big for carry, but if that's your thing go for it.

crusader377
01-11-13, 13:21
If you want to collect guns, then it is a pretty decent trade. Personally myself, I started as a gun collector who occasionally shot guns to an individual who is serious on learning how to become more proficient with firearms and I'm trying to consolidate on a platform (for me its the M&P) which has been difficult because I have several guns that were given as gifts which I can't let go of. So instead of just selling guns that I don't shoot, I have to save a buy piecemeal.

chuckman
01-11-13, 16:11
Thanks for replies. I do not collect...I did and got rid of all guns save for 2 Glock 17s and 1 Glock 19. I did not know if the FNX would be 'worth' the trade and for me it would have to be because it is a better gun.

twistedcomrade
01-11-13, 20:01
Another vote to stay with the Glock.

buckshot1220
01-12-13, 11:19
Given our current legislative turmoil, having a Glock platform will afford you a way to keep interchangeable mags along with many wearable parts to keep your guns running for many years. Going to such a "specialized" platform in conjunction with the possibility of certain mags and eventually parts (when companies go belly-up) drying up so much faster isn't a good idea.

chuckman
01-12-13, 11:54
Thanks to all. Staying with the Glock, and gonna stipple and do a home-made grip reduction on my other one.