PDA

View Full Version : The War on Kids, Documentary

crusader377
01-11-13, 08:58
Yesterday evening I watched the "War on Kids" on the Documentary Channel. It was a real eye opener and it went through on how the public school system is becoming increasing authoritarian while utterly failing in teaching any real critical thinking skills to America's youth.

http://www.thewaronkids.com/

I strongly recommend the documentary to anyone who has school aged children or who is concerned about the education of future generations.

theblackknight
01-11-13, 10:03
Hope this is on hulu when I get home.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Caeser25
01-11-13, 10:10
I knew something was afoot when my stepbrothers and I were talking about hunting and my 8 year old nephew out the blue said GUNS ARE ILLEGAL. We all looked at each other and asked did you learn that? Apparently that's what many if these "blue ribbon" schools are teaching. Break down the school. Give power over them to government. Build it back up in the indoctrinated way the weather underground, students for a democratic society, etc, wants. Just like basic training concept. Tear them down and rebuild them.

maximus83
01-11-13, 11:41
Sounds worth seeing.

I have noticed these trends for a long time and while I'm not inherently against the idea of public education, we kept our kids out of the public schools for the same reasons. It's not "public education" that we object to, it's the CONTENT of most current public school curricula (and their policies).

IMO, the public schools are almost totally controlled by progressives and are an even greater danger to the survival of the US than the "progressive mainstream media." It seems like a whole generation of kids have been largely brainwashed by the primary, secondary, and post-secondary educational institutions, and this is a large part of what is enabling the progressives to so easily have their way right now.

brickboy240
01-11-13, 12:08
Want to get even MORE angry at the state of public schools?

Watch "Waiting for Superman" if you have Netflix I think it is available there.

Prepare to have your blood pressure go up....warning.

-brickboy240

crusader377
01-11-13, 13:09
Sounds worth seeing.

I have noticed these trends for a long time and while I'm not inherently against the idea of public education, we kept our kids out of the public schools for the same reasons. It's not "public education" that we object to, it's the CONTENT of most current public school curricula (and their policies).

IMO, the public schools are almost totally controlled by progressives and are an even greater danger to the survival of the US than the "progressive mainstream media." It seems like a whole generation of kids have been largely brainwashed by the primary, secondary, and post-secondary educational institutions, and this is a large part of what is enabling the progressives to so easily have their way right now.

Agree with you. The big problem with public education is that schools are not creating independent free thinking young people who are able to critically think, love learning, who are able to actively find knowledge, and who are morally and spritually robust.

Instead, as a society the majority of young people are weak, dependent, and have a herd mentality who rely on others (new media, celebrities, educators, etc...) to provide their opinions on issues, and are brainwashed with the progressive world view.

Denali
01-11-13, 14:14
Sounds worth seeing.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/12/21/bill-ayers-the-left-must-utilize-its-absolute-access-to-americas-classrooms/

Bill Ayers: The Left Must Utilize Its ‘Absolute Access’ to America’s Classrooms
Did you know that "ahh" Mr Ayers helped design that curriculum?

Kfgk14
01-11-13, 14:43
Agree with you. The big problem with public education is that schools are not creating independent free thinking young people who are able to critically think, love learning, who are able to actively find knowledge, and who are morally and spritually robust.

Instead, as a society the majority of young people are weak, dependent, and have a herd mentality who rely on others (new media, celebrities, educators, etc...) to provide their opinions on issues, and are brainwashed with the progressive world view.

Schools teach children to be "open minded" "multicultural" "accepting". They then teach that anyone who believes certain things (Judeo-Christian religion, pro-life, pro-freedom, conservative, etc.) cannot be dealt/reasoned with or listened to about anything, regardless of how grounded in facts and logic they may be, and regardless of how sound their moral compass is. The whole doctrine of sharing is caring that they pound into kids, that everybody wins and everybody should get a trophy for trying, they turn that into a life outlook to make welfare and handouts seem normal and natural. They don't want to recognize true evil exists in the world, and they want to believe that anyone can be "fixed" and normalized.

It all plays into justifying their immoral approach to governance and life in which any one individual can be sacrificed for "the greater good" and that nobody has any inherent right to what they own, if someone else needs it worse.

Moose-Knuckle
01-11-13, 17:10
The public school system and the vast majority of our universities do not educate, they indoctrinate.

Thanks for the heads up I'll add that to the list. :cool:

chuckman
01-11-13, 17:35
It outrages me, and is actually supported by a couple friends who are high school teachers. They said that it is not about education, it is about teaching specific ways of thinking. Both know we homeschool and heartily agree that in today's climate that homeschooling or private school is far superior to public education.

GeorgiaBoy
01-11-13, 20:48
What better way to change the way that people think than to influence them at young ages? At one time a little progressiveness in schools may have been beneficial.... but not so much anymore.

I don't care if its progressive/liberal indoctrination or conservative indoctrination, we should be raising kids to be free thinkers and formulate their opinions and ideologies based on their own feelings, beliefs, morals, and opinions.

halo2304
01-11-13, 22:59
...or private school is far superior to public education.

There are times when I truely believe this. I went to a catholic elementary school until 8th grade and then went to the public high school. I noticed that there were some kids who went through the public elementary schools that generally had no friggin' clue. I notice it more now being in my 30's, about to finish a bachelor's degree, working full time and helping to support a family. Some of my fellow students, young AND old, have issues with the basics such as simple algebra. I don't claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer but I remember "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally".

Another example, in one of the classes I just finished, we had to read the U.S. Constitution. (I'm sad to say that I had not fully read it before this class.) I heard more bitching and complaining that it was difficult to understand.
This is where a face-palm smiley would come in handy!
I'll admit it's not the most exciting document to read but we weren't assigned an article from the latest issue of Cosmo. How dare the teacher assign something we actually have to read That's read and understand, not just look at the words. Some people...:blink:

Honu
01-12-13, 05:40
What better way to change the way that people think than to influence them at young ages? At one time a little progressiveness in schools may have been beneficial.... but not so much anymore.

I don't care if its progressive/liberal indoctrination or conservative indoctrination, we should be raising kids to be free thinkers and formulate their opinions and ideologies based on their own feelings, beliefs, morals, and opinions.

curious if you have kids ?

really does not sound like you do by those statements

Spiffums
01-12-13, 18:24
The bad people we had were the one's who dropped out because they couldn't play football, because they were failing!

feedramp
01-12-13, 19:37
curious if you have kids ?

really does not sound like you do by those statements

Yeah, kids need to be raised, which means proper morals, beliefs, doctrines instilled in them. That's the purpose of parenting and discipline. Not leaving kids to do whatever they want. That's what half the problem is in the younger generations today. The parents give the kids whatever they want and leave them to their own devices and just look how many of them end up. Such a shame.

GeorgiaBoy
01-12-13, 19:39
Yeah, kids need to be raised, which means proper morals, beliefs, doctrines instilled in them. That's the purpose of parenting and discipline. Not leaving kids to do whatever they want. That's what half the problem is in the younger generations today. The parents give the kids whatever they want and leave them to their own devices and just look how many of them end up. Such a shame.

Who said that kids shouldn't be raised like that?

I was talking about schools, not parents. Of course, certain beliefs parents have can cause problems too.

Straight Shooter
01-12-13, 20:03
Ive said on this forum and others, MANY times...THIS is THE single greatest victory the left has ever had, the dumbing down/propogandizing of the public schools for the last 20-25 years or so. It where it all starts for the lefties. It is an absolute bedrock, first step that must have happened before ANY further progress could have been made. They HAD to start with young children, because they never could, or did, convince enough older folks to follow their agenda's. So, really starting in the early sixties, but especially from the mid eighties onward, they have utterly destroyed education and turned it into an absolute left wing agenda driven cirriculum[sp?!].
Kids cannot name 2-3 Founding Fathers...but know ALL ABOUT "global warming", rainforests,and just so much other p.c. crap its unbelievable. I challenge you all to try to have even a semi-intelligent conversation with MOST, not all kids about 25 and under.
Ive not been able to myself. BASIC questions now, Im no colledge grad or Einstien here myself. Whats the 3 levels of government?
Who is Speaker of the House? Senate? How many Senators? Who wrote the Declaration of Independence? Ect, ect...just basic stuff.
This is the lefts biggest victory that they HAVE TO HAVE in order to get, keep, and maintain their political power and influence. The SECOND must have, was the media. But, thats another thread.