PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use crossbreed supertuck?

yfzjim
03-01-08, 00:04
Ive heard these are great. Does anyone have any first hand experience with them? I'll be using it for my springfield XD9 SC
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html

Alpha Sierra
03-01-08, 15:14
I have been using a Supertuck since about 8 months ago for my S&W Model 65.

I only bought it because it was the only tuckable holster for a S&W K frame that did not have a six month long wait.

The concept is good but the execution left much to be desired.

The clips they were using back then were complete shit. They could not be snapped over the belt. The belt had to be threaded through. And the slots for the belt were narrow enough that my most commonly used belt did not fit. I had to spend more money (and time) to order a set of CTAC clips from Comp Tac before I could use my new holster. Strike one.

The kydex was molded very haphazardly to the contours of the gun, making retention nearly non-existent. I had to spend nearly two hours heating the material up and slowly molding it around the gun to get decent retention. Compared to the molding of my J frame CTAC, the Crossbreed was done very amateurishly. Strike two.

There are several holes for the threaded inserts that you screw the clips to. The have these sharp prongs that are hammered into the leather. It is impossible to move those inserts to another hole and sink the barbs in without whatever tool was used to install them by the maker. This made the holster's "great" adjustability a moot point. Strike three.

So, in summary, buy something else if something else is available. If you want a leather/kydex hybrid, get one from Comp-Tac (Minotaur) or Tucker Gunleather (The Answer). If you like all leather, Kevin Manley at K&D Holsters is hard to beat, except for the long (but worthwhile) wait.

I just got today the two holsters that I ordered from Kevin in early October and I could not be happier. I am not a Kydex fan.

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/21/002/19/DD/E0/02/bEpOuuF0+oaKBUx9GYMd-qK6pzbjE-Hj0300.jpg

tsp45acp
03-01-08, 16:15
Ordered my CrossBreed Super Tuck yesterday. My first IWB (should have it in 2-3 wks). Went with them since I had heard good things about them and they have a 2 wk "buy back" if you're not happy. Lifetime gaurantee sealed the deal. I'll hold judgememnt until I get mine.

Alpha--- sorry to hear your didn't work out so well. I want a MS VM II, but I'm not willing to wait 20-26 wks for delivery. I'll see when I get it. Tracy

yfzjim
03-01-08, 23:25
Thanks for the replys guys. What about Don Hume holsters? Are these any good?
http://www.pistolgear.com/proddetail.php?prod=32DHD&cat=7

Alpha Sierra
03-02-08, 11:18
I have a Don Hume JIT slide and magazine holder for the S&W 915 shown above. It is a good holster, particularly for what it cost ($25). The leather is a little on the thin side so I don't know how well it will last over the long term.

My recommendation would be to order a Don Hume (can't go wrong with the price) and a GOOD custom leather holster at the same time. Use the Hume in the meantime while waiting for the other holster.

There are many good custom holstermakers. Let me know if you need some recommendations.

FIST makes some really nice holsters and their wait is around 5 to 6 weeks.

Akoni
03-02-08, 11:22
I have one and while I like the concept, I had to modify mine to get it useable. I would not recommend it. I am waiting on my Comp Tac Minotaur MTAC for comparison.

yfzjim
03-03-08, 00:09
care to elaborate on the "modify" part?

Akoni
03-03-08, 13:33
care to elaborate on the "modify" part?

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Akoni_bucket/CBmod_1.jpg

The top red line shows where I had to cut the leather backplate down so that I could get a firing grip on the pistol. The way it came originally, I wore a hole in my thumb in under an hour while doing drills with it and I could not get a decent firing grip until it was out of the holster...not good. For this XD, they had not molded in a channel for the loaded chamber indicator so I had to do that myself also.

I really like the concept but the execution is lacking. CompTac sell the Minotaur which is the same style but supposedly better executed. I have not recieved mine yet.

yfzjim
03-03-08, 17:57
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Akoni_bucket/CBmod_1.jpg

The top red line shows where I had to cut the leather backplate down so that I could get a firing grip on the pistol. The way it came originally, I wore a hole in my thumb in under an hour while doing drills with it and I could not get a decent firing grip until it was out of the holster...not good. For this XD, they had not molded in a channel for the loaded chamber indicator so I had to do that myself also.

I really like the concept but the execution is lacking. CompTac sell the Minotaur which is the same style but supposedly better executed. I have not recieved mine yet.

Thanks for the explanation. It lookslike crossbreed offers this holster cut back around the grip like what you did. It is listed as a combat grip option.

tsp45acp
03-03-08, 19:00
Akoni,

Where you cut the leather, they should have asked if you wanted the Combat Grip. The loaded chamber indicator is just poor planning on their part. I ordered mine for my fullsize 5" & Commander sized 1911 Colts last fri. Should be here 2-3 weeks.

How does yours fit? And where do you wear it----3-3:30 or farther around at 4-5 o'clock? Tracy

Akoni
03-03-08, 20:48
Akoni,

Where you cut the leather, they should have asked if you wanted the Combat Grip. The loaded chamber indicator is just poor planning on their part. I ordered mine for my fullsize 5" & Commander sized 1911 Colts last fri. Should be here 2-3 weeks.

How does yours fit? And where do you wear it----3-3:30 or farther around at 4-5 o'clock? Tracy

I wear it around 4oclock. When I ordered it (couple months ago), I didn't see an option for a "combat grip", so that might be new. IMO, it shouldn't be an option; that's the way they should come. I did not contact them about changes because I wanted the holster quickly and didn't have time to send it back. The clips are also a bit odd...at least the ones I have. They're really wide and the "duckbill" end is too long/wide.

Alpha Sierra
03-04-08, 17:52
IME, Crossbreed holsters are unsat.

I'd rather pay $25 for an off the shelf Don Hume that I can wear while I wait for a proper custom holster to be made.

Akoni
03-04-08, 20:13
IME, Crossbreed holsters are unsat.

I would not disagree with that statement.

yfzjim
03-04-08, 21:51
thanks for the info guys