PDA

View Full Version : SPR-type scope advice... Leupold-IOR-NF

Rmplstlskn
09-06-06, 22:11
I know this topic has been discussed to death on other boards, but I admit I wasn't paying close attention as it wasn't applicable to me at that time and most of the respondents were wanna-be wankers. Grant has a tacked 1-4 topic but there isn't really anything here about MEDIUM magnification scopes suitable for SPR-type rifles.

The rifle:
18" Sabre Defence SS 1/8, midlength.
Use:
100-300 yards & testing 75g and 77g handloads. Longer ranges when I get access to anyplace that allows that.
Money to spend?
Trade my TA11-D + cash = keep it below $1800
Cash only = around $1200
Ideally, something good for an SPR but even less than $1k (does such a scope exist)

I presently have my ACOG 3.5x TA11-D on this rifle. I have found (with my nearsighted eyes) the red triangle to sometimes fuzzy up or bloom and the triangle and magnification doesn't provide me with the aiming accuracy I would prefer. I'd like to move the ACOG back to the M4 and replace it with one of the following (or another better option).

Here are the scopes I have read about with the best accolades:

Leupold Mk4 3-9x36 MR/T
Leupold Mk4 1.5-5x20 MR/T M2 with SPR reticle (too low magnification, IMO)
IOR 2-12x32
S&B
Nightforce 2.5-10x24 w/ NP-R1 reticle

Then, the more affordable:
Nikon's

I presently own a 1" Leupold M8 fixed 6x scope that I am not using, but that may not be the best choice, especially if I buy the Larue mount in 1" and all the really good scopes are 30mm. Is this fixed power scope with standard "hunting-type" crosshair a viable option?

So far I am very impressed with this rifles accuracy but I'm not milking the best out my handloads with the ACOG triangle...

HELP an SPR greenie!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

Rmpl

DocGKR
09-07-06, 00:44
The original SPR's had Leup 3.5-10 x40 mm LR illuminated M3's

The next batch basically had the Leup 3-9x36 mm MR illum M3's

Some folks are indeed using the NF 2.5-10x24 mm scopes

You could also look at the Leup 2.5-8x36mm MR M2

An S&B would be nice as well...

All these are good for 100-500+ shooting.

=========================================

The Leup 1.5-5x20mm MR/T M2 is more like an S&B 1.1-4x Short Dot; similar to a 3.5x or 4x ACOG, these seem to work best for 25-300m shooting.

Rmplstlskn
09-09-06, 20:52
Only one reply?
Is this an "Oh no, not this $hit again!" question?

Rmpl

Hoplophile
09-09-06, 21:49
You didn't actually ask a question that I could see. I guess you want somebody to tell you what scope you should buy?

Not sure what to tell you because everything you listed is 'good enough'.

The 3-9x36 MR/T has eye relief well suited to using it on an AR upper, if that helps you make a decision.

Rmplstlskn
09-10-06, 15:41
You didn't actually ask a question that I could see. I guess you want somebody to tell you what scope you should buy?

Not sure what to tell you because everything you listed is 'good enough'.

The 3-9x36 MR/T has eye relief well suited to using it on an AR upper, if that helps you make a decision.

Your right... there wasn't a question in there. :eek: Sorry about that...

What I was looking for is OPINIONS on this niche of scopes from those who own one or the other.

If every item was perfect, there would be no need for all the quality optics that get listed in EE forums...
I just don't want to spend big $$$ on a scope and find the "quirks" later.

I am leaning towards the Leupold 3-9 MR/T or the IOR 2-12x32 at this time.

Rmpl