PDA

View Full Version : I've Seen More Idiots in The Past Month Than My Entire Life as a Gunman

scottryan
01-12-13, 08:50
1. This was the weekend after the CT shooting. Cop came into local gunshop. He is a fairly knowledgeable gun person. Wanted my dealer to sell him glock mags for $2 less than what was advertised on the internet at a vendor. Of course vendor did not have them in stock. Local dealer actually had them in stock. The price hadn't been raised yet at either place. He ended up not buying any mags from anywhere. Completely ****ing lost.

2. People offering me $100 for a Colt upper on the internet. Completely ****ing lost.

3. People that put off buying an AR15 this summer and now want help finding one. They still want to have it for the regular street price. Completely ****ing lost.

4. I point people to gunbroker and tell them to look on there. I tell them it is just like ebay. They have no clue and they just stare at me. Completely ****ing lost.

5. Pro gun people coming to me to discuss gun politics and all the arguments we have all heard millions of times. They can't grasp its about power, control, and money. They still want to argue about how weak the .223 is or why mag capacity doesn't matter. No ****ing shit we all realize that. Instead they should be on the internet buying everything they can. Completely ****ing lost.

6. I was at Scheels in Omaha. They had about 10 pmags left and had them for $25 each. Moron customer asks the salesman if he would honor Magpul's msrp of $14. The salesman laughed at him. Completely ****ing lost.

Unbelievable!

7. People that make six figures waffling about spending money on this stuff that they wanted and waited and now it is too late.

Hootiewho
01-12-13, 10:03
Try to help me understand this one.

Someone I know is real big into the large organization that celebrates/honors/promotes Veterans of the Confederacy. You can figure it out. I mean BIG into it. I know he sees tons of guys every week at meetings, so I try to get him to use his position as a platform to promote awareness & maybe boost the NRA ranks. He hunts & shoots a little too, so one would think he would be onboard. One would think that if your in an organization such as that, and all they talk about CONSTANTLY is states rights & how the North overstepped it's bounds (I'm saying this regardless of how one views the Civil War including my personal views of the 1860s).... they would be very much concerned with maintaining their rights here in 2013, but nope, such is not the case.

Now I am by no means lumping everyone in that organization together, as I know many are on board with fighting gun control and other government power grabs & civil rights incursions. I am just ranting about the, I guess hypocrisy of some in the group who preach States Rights & such till they are blue in the face to anyone who will remotely listen when applied to the 1860's, but do not do or say a thing when it comes to what is happening today and how it affects their future generations.

I mean how ironic and how just mind numbing is the concept? "Let's meet every week to discuss a war of over 150 years ago that we can do nothing about, but not do much of nothing to try & prevent the wrongness of what is happening today!" Like I said, I'm not saying this is true of everyone in said organization, but I see it a lot in my little neck of the woods.

SteyrAUG
01-12-13, 13:29
Following the 89 Import Ban a dealer got me up to speed by suggesting I could buy something now...or I could wait until it was really expensive.

Basically if you want something, and it is currently being produced and offered for sale somewhere from dealer to retail price you should BUY IT. If you do, you have it and you're done, it won't matter what happens to supply or price in the future.

And all things gun related are much more likely to go up than go down.

The only thing I can think of that has gone down in the 35+ years I've been involved in firearms stuff are things like HK91 magazines. Back in 1983 I was paying $25.00 per magazine for steel 20 rounders, so 6 of them ran me $150 in 1983 dollars (about $330.00 today).

Then in the late 1990s Germany surplused in a buttload of G3 mags and new ones could be bought for $2.00. I didn't really mind as it meant I could buy 100 mags for $200.

Anything quality, desirable and in demand usually only goes one way price wise.

warpigM-4
01-12-13, 14:25
I am glad i got Upper and 14.5 barrel from you years ago I had people calling me asking if i had anything to sell after I told them years ago to "Buy now it will get worse" :blink:.
One guy i have not heard from in about 2 years calls me out of the blue a few days ago asking for ammo he only has 100 rds of 223 :sarcastic: then asked if I could order some weapons with my C&R for him I said "nope ! good luck finding something dumbass "I bet I won't be hearing from him again

BCmJUnKie
01-12-13, 15:19
I get two people at least a week askin to buy a rifle. They waited too long.

Ive been through ALOT of hurricanes in Fla...its the SAME thing I seen every year, EVERY hurricane was the "End of the world", store shelves were cleared out and prices were gouged.

On a different note, a few weeks ago a guy was telling me about how hes "exempt" to the ban with his 11.5" AR cause he's a "Class 1 officer"....whatever the **** that means.

He didnt have to complete Form 1's or even register it through ATF as well.

Talk about "Lost" haha

FlyingHunter
01-12-13, 17:49
Anything quality, desirable and in demand usually only goes one way price wise.

Truth!

Denali
01-12-13, 18:04
2. People offering me $100 for a Colt upper on the internet. Completely ****ing lost.

Whining about price gouging, ammo shortages, and inquiring if the rules of the forum allow for heckling private parties who have what they want, but at a premium...Completely, totally, hopelessly, lost...

Littlelebowski
01-22-13, 09:58
I've met so many knucklehead reenactors that I gave up trying to figure out how they think long ago.

Try to help me understand this one.

Someone I know is real big into the large organization that celebrates/honors/promotes Veterans of the Confederacy. You can figure it out. I mean BIG into it. I know he sees tons of guys every week at meetings, so I try to get him to use his position as a platform to promote awareness & maybe boost the NRA ranks. He hunts & shoots a little too, so one would think he would be onboard. One would think that if your in an organization such as that, and all they talk about CONSTANTLY is states rights & how the North overstepped it's bounds (I'm saying this regardless of how one views the Civil War including my personal views of the 1860s).... they would be very much concerned with maintaining their rights here in 2013, but nope, such is not the case.

Now I am by no means lumping everyone in that organization together, as I know many are on board with fighting gun control and other government power grabs & civil rights incursions. I am just ranting about the, I guess hypocrisy of some in the group who preach States Rights & such till they are blue in the face to anyone who will remotely listen when applied to the 1860's, but do not do or say a thing when it comes to what is happening today and how it affects their future generations.

I mean how ironic and how just mind numbing is the concept? "Let's meet every week to discuss a war of over 150 years ago that we can do nothing about, but not do much of nothing to try & prevent the wrongness of what is happening today!" Like I said, I'm not saying this is true of everyone in said organization, but I see it a lot in my little neck of the woods.

Doc Safari
01-22-13, 10:51
I've met so many knucklehead reenactors that I gave up trying to figure out how they think long ago.

I started to get into this a few years ago because I collect Civil War style hats and I thought about taking up the hobby.

These guys are the worst kind of gear queers. The dedicated ones won't tolerate the tiniest degree of what they call "farbism", meaning anything that is out of place or modern. In other words, even your eyeglasses have to be Civil War era.

They want their clothes, headgear, accoutrements, firearms, and even food and supplies to all be authentic. No granola bars here. Some even pay good money to have modern markings removed from their firearms.

Now, I'm all for authenticity, but that's letting a hobby dominate your life.

To coin a phrase: completely ****ing lost.

Suwannee Tim
01-22-13, 20:36
I bought a Rock River LAR 308 in the panic of 2009, paid too much, I think it was $1450 or so. List was $1200. I'll bet I could get $3000 now, maybe more. My buddy went in that gunshop a week later and negotiated and negotiated and negotiated with them and they would't sell him a LAR 308 for the same $1450 I paid. Wanted $1500. He walked. He still can't get over them letting him walk. I tried to 'splain it to him. I told him in a seller's market the buyer walking has no power. He called me from the parking lot of the gun store as he was walking, I offered to pay the $50. He would't budge. He is a great guy but sometimes he gets something in his head and it just can't be got out. Obama born in Kenya for example, he is still talking about impeaching BHO for being born in Kenya. I can't convince him that is not going to happen.

Suwannee Tim
01-22-13, 20:39
......These guys are the worst kind of gear queers. The dedicated ones won't tolerate the tiniest degree of what they call "farbism", meaning anything that is out of place or modern. In other words, even your eyeglasses have to be Civil War era.......

I wonder if they take 19th century pharmaceuticals for their diabetes, thyroid disorders, heart diseases and hypertension?

PdxMotoxer
01-23-13, 04:11
When i read the thread topic......
"I've Seen More Idiots in The Past Month Than My Entire Life as a Gunman"

I thought this was going to be about what i've noticed lately.
With everyone and their mother/brother/daughter/sons RUSHING
out to buy a gun and even diamond backs and kel-tec's
flying off the shelves the range has became FAR to Dangerous
for me to even think about going to.

"People" who shouldn't be allowed to own a clicker ball point pen
are waving their new Glock's, M&P's and such around worse than
kids at a playground.

I was even in a huge retail sporting goods store shoe shopping and seen some of those mentioned above trying on holsters with their
newly purchased pistols out in the open not only TRYING to find
a holster to fit but i kid you not "look bad-ass".

It's only a matter of time till the N.D.'s start and with that give
those looking yet another "reason" to fear evil black guns.

So YES i've seen more Idiots in the last few months than i ever have.
since i got my first ruger 10/22 in the mid-late 70's!! :blink:

Hootiewho
01-23-13, 08:58
I wonder if they take 19th century pharmaceuticals for their diabetes, thyroid disorders, heart diseases and hypertension?

Lol! In my experience, no they do not. Nor ride a horse, nor cook at home.

markm
01-23-13, 14:33
3. People that put off buying an AR15 this summer and now want help finding one. They still want to have it for the regular street price. Completely ****ing lost.

The retards HERE who put "WTB" adds for Barrels, mags, bolts, etc... but let you know they aren't willing to pay "panic" prices.

WHY THE **** do I want to sell to someone for lower than Market??

Because I'm a nice guy who want to help people on the internuts?:blink:

sl4mdaddy
01-23-13, 14:45
There was a recent posting on another site:

"WTB - 1,000 rounds 5.56 Must be brass, willing to pay $450"

Obviously somewhat 'completely lost'

markm
01-23-13, 14:50
There was a recent posting on another site:

"WTB - 1,000 rounds 5.56 Must be brass, willing to pay $450"

Obviously somewhat 'completely lost'

That's my starting price on gunbroker. :sarcastic:

Suwannee Tim
01-26-13, 17:21
I was talking to a friend at the range a couple of months back, he had bought a whole shit load of ammo, I forgot exactly how much, 36 or 37 thousand rounds, something like that, 5.56, 7.62, 9mm, 40, some other stuff. The guy next door kicked his wife's ass and spent some time in jail. When he got out wifey agreed to allow him back but no guns, no ammo. They took the guns to the LGS, my buddy bought the ammo, a thousand dollars cash. Things like that never happen to me. Except once. An old girlfriend called, her husband dumped her and she divorced him. She was pretty well used up and broken down so I got her cheap. I fixed her up, got her a college degree, a tummy tuck, re-trained her. She is worth a damn sight more now than she was then.

TomMcC
01-26-13, 17:53

I think he means when they are reenacting the civil war, not in their day to day lives.

theblackknight
01-26-13, 18:00
I think we are gonna see this bleed over into reloading as well. Dillon is backed up 6 weeks, dies are primers are :blink:. People are gonna end up blowing something up.

Magic_Salad0892
01-26-13, 18:09
Is "Gunman" a bad word to refer to ourselves as?

C4IGrant
01-26-13, 19:23
The retards HERE who put "WTB" adds for Barrels, mags, bolts, etc... but let you know they aren't willing to pay "panic" prices.

WHY THE **** do I want to sell to someone for lower than Market??

Because I'm a nice guy who want to help people on the internuts?:blink:

LOL. I probably have enough spare parts to outfit an Army in my shop. Since I have no idea when I will see any type of gun part in the future, my interest level in selling items at MAP is less than zero.

If you waited till now to build or buy your AR, you have lost. The only way to win in this environment is to open your wallet.

It is amazing how many people have not heard of GB. I must tell 10 people a day to look there and they either haven't heard of it OR think I am crazy.

C4

scottryan
01-26-13, 20:06
I'm am getting to a point where I am unwilling to help anyone new.

They are so ****ing clueless.

They tell me we aren't going to have a gun ban. Guess what, idiot, we have had five gun bans in the past, four of which are still the law of the land. What makes you think we can't have another?

scottryan
01-26-13, 20:13
It is amazing how many people have not heard of GB. I must tell 10 people a day to look there and they either haven't heard of it OR think I am crazy.

Yes!

I tell them it is easy to use and it is just like ebay. They look at me like I am crazy!

buckjay
01-26-13, 22:22
They tell me we aren't going to have a gun ban. Guess what, idiot, we have had five gun bans in the past, four of which are still the law of the land. What makes you think we can't have another?

Doesn't really justify the exorbitant prices people are paying for AR parts. Anyone who doesn't think the price on stripped upper receivers, barrels, rails, etc won't come down in the near future is a fool... and you know what they say about a fool and his money.

markm
01-27-13, 08:06
If you waited till now to build or buy your AR, you have lost. The only way to win in this environment is to open your wallet.

Yep. I have no sympathy for these clowns. I help them by bidding up BCGs on gunbroker to make them suffer MORE!

7 RING
01-27-13, 08:33
I went to a local gun show yesterday and some of the vendors were asking inflated prices for stripped AR-15 lower receivers. I saw a DPMS receiver priced at $545. The same dealer had AR-15 magazines priced at $90 each. No one was stopping at his table, just walking by and grumbling when they saw the prices.

I saw a new M1A priced at $5000 that should be more like $1800. I found a dealer on the other side of the building with the same rifle for $1900.

I did see some vendors with AR-15 magazines for $25-$30 each and they were not selling either. One of the AR parts vendors was charging what he normally did in the past. His prices were a little high in the past and now they are lower than most other people were charging. His sales were a little slow as well.

People were not buying a lot of military style rifles or magazines. If price was not an object and you bought every AR-15 magazine at the show, you could have walked out with over 1,000 magazines. I think the panic is slowing down a little bit in my area.

Some people are silly, but I think they might be running out of money.

Mjolnir
01-27-13, 10:31
Great thread.

Lots of "pinheads" scurrying around slackjawed at availability and prices who were either "fence sitters" or the incurably sanguinoid.

RWBlue
01-27-13, 11:57
Supposedly pro-gun people who want mandatory background check/ie. registration. Morons.

duece71
01-27-13, 12:23
I was talking to a friend at the range a couple of months back, he had bought a whole shit load of ammo, I forgot exactly how much, 36 or 37 thousand rounds, something like that, 5.56, 7.62, 9mm, 40, some other stuff. The guy next door kicked his wife's ass and spent some time in jail. When he got out wifey agreed to allow him back but no guns, no ammo. They took the guns to the LGS, my buddy bought the ammo, a thousand dollars cash. Things like that never happen to me. Except once. An old girlfriend called, her husband dumped her and she divorced him. She was pretty well used up and broken down so I got her cheap. I fixed her up, got her a college degree, a tummy tuck, re-trained her. She is worth a damn sight more now than she was then.

No insult, but that description is pretty funny.

duece71
01-27-13, 12:25
I think we are gonna see this bleed over into reloading as well. Dillon is backed up 6 weeks, dies are primers are :blink:. People are gonna end up blowing something up.

Absolutely, I hope people can still think but my hope may have run out.

Suwannee Tim
01-27-13, 13:31
No insult, but that description is pretty funny.

I was slowly recovering from a traumatic brain injury and I needed fixing as much as she did. We took each other on as projects.

Mjolnir
01-27-13, 16:50
Supposedly pro-gun people who want mandatory background check/ie. registration. Morons.

:chuckles:

markm
01-29-13, 09:33
Here's a quote from a WANT TO BUY thread here on this site.

The fact that he has bumped his WTB 7 times has not brought the guy any closer to reality? :confused:

I'm very interested but looking for pre- ban scare price not these outrageous prices!!!

Littlelebowski
01-29-13, 09:37
Here's a quote from a WANT TO BUY thread here on this site.

The fact that he has bumped his WTB 7 times has not brought the guy any closer to reality? :confused:

People in hell want ice water too.

markm
01-29-13, 09:38
People in hell want ice water too.

They just don't want to pay ridiculous panic prices! :meeting:

(this guy is lookning for a BCM BCG from or similar no less!)

khc3
01-29-13, 10:02
I have sold a few things, mostly on Gunbroker, that I wouldn't have sold at normal prices. Having them was worth more than that amount of money. For a little more cash, I no longer needed them.

Price gouging insures at least some supply of wanted commodities, but that's econ 101, which seems to be a forbidden teaching in much of this country.

I was just getting into guns as a young man getting out on his own in 92-93. Back then I couldn't buy the stuff I wanted before the ban because I had no money. I had to build the bulk of my collection of guns, ammo, & mags during the ban. I knew enough not to let $139 cases of FMP 308 pass me by.

I have NO sympathy for people now.

markm
01-29-13, 10:08
I have sold a few things, mostly on Gunbroker, that I wouldn't have sold at normal prices.

Same here. And I've had to pay a little more for parts I needed too.

C4IGrant
01-29-13, 10:27
Price gouging insures at least some supply of wanted commodities, but that's econ 101, which seems to be a forbidden teaching in much of this country.

Your post made me think of a conversation I had with another local dealer to me. I think a lot of people believe that your average gun dealer (small mom and pop shop) are wealthy or at least do very well (making over $100k a year). This just isn't the case. From my experience, most gun dealers either have a secondary job or are just making it (under $30k a year with expenses paid). There are of course exceptions to this rule, but are not all that common.

When panic buying ensues and prices go up, this is one of the few times that a dealer actually gets to make over 10% profit on a firearm. This is a good thing and might be the only way they can keep their doors open for another year.

A local UPS driver was in my store yesterday complaining about another shop charging too much for an AR. I explained to him that this might be the ONLY AR they see for a long time. I also explained to him that the Govt MAY ban what he does for a living. So he needs to make as much "hay" while the sun shines as he can.

I think that if people better understood the above, they wouldn't get so pissed off at the high prices.

C4

brickboy240
01-29-13, 11:42
Really...until this all blows over (...and yeah...some day soon...it will) I believe it is best to stay out of the For Sale boards. The posts will only drive you nuts. Unless you REALLY need something...it is advisable to stay out of these places and away from gun stores.

Again...going there will only make you angry. Bare shelves and crazed buyers WILL go away...we need to be patient. So will the silly high prices.

Its hard...but the best thing we should do for now.

-brickboy240

markm
01-29-13, 11:55
Really...until this all blows over (...and yeah...some day soon...it will) I believe it is best to stay out of the For Sale boards. The posts will only drive you nuts. Unless you REALLY need something...it is advisable to stay out of these places and away from gun stores.

Again...going there will only make you angry.

I get a kick out of the shit! "I'm not paying panic prices!" :p

OK, Bubba! Have fun with that!

brickboy240
01-29-13, 12:04
I have to admit I also get a laugh out of some of it. Especially those that saw what happened in 08 and STILL did not stock up on 223 an 9mm ammo.

I also have to admit that seeing ratty looking Mini-14s selling for 1000 bucks has tempted me to get rid of mine. Even though I won't do it because I want this stuff to stop...I have been tempted at times.

I have NEVER paid 30 bucks a box for 9mm or 70 bucks for a P-mag and never will.

-brickboy240

djegators
01-29-13, 12:05
Your post made me think of a conversation I had with another local dealer to me. I think a lot of people believe that your average gun dealer (small mom and pop shop) are wealthy or at least do very well (making over $100k a year). This just isn't the case. From my experience, most gun dealers either have a secondary job or are just making it (under $30k a year with expenses paid). There are of course exceptions to this rule, but are not all that common.

When panic buying ensues and prices go up, this is one of the few times that a dealer actually gets to make over 10% profit on a firearm. This is a good thing and might be the only way they can keep their doors open for another year.

A local UPS driver was in my store yesterday complaining about another shop charging too much for an AR. I explained to him that this might be the ONLY AR they see for a long time. I also explained to him that the Govt MAY ban what he does for a living. So he needs to make as much "hay" while the sun shines as he can.

I think that if people better understood the above, they wouldn't get so pissed off at the high prices.

C4

Thanks for this. I think people also fail to consider that if and when there is some supply returning to this small dealer, what will the cost be? Not to mention there are a LOT of dealers ahead of him on the distributors list.

brickboy240
01-29-13, 13:41
What kills me is that while standing around in one of these gun shops...i hear the workers/owners going on and on about gas prices. How big oil is "gouging" them and so on. Looking out in the parking lot...every one of them drives a large pickup that gets maybe 12-15mpg.

Apparently, they had no choice but to buy that gas guzzler and drive a long ways. It is big oil's fault and gasoline should just always be a buck a gallon no matter what.

Flash forward to 08 and now this panic. Apparently it is perfectly ok for them to sell a box of 9mm for 30 bucks or a 400 dollar Romanian AK for 2 grand. To these guys...it is justified if THEY are doing the gouging.

Its only gouging if someone else is doing it....right?

Listen, the best way to fight this is to not participate. Nobody is holding a gun to people's heads and forcing them to pay 3 grand for an AR or 30 bucks a box for 9mm. The only reason they are PRICING items this way is because people are PAYING the crazy prices.

This is a free market. You are free NOT to pay outrageous prices, you know. It is amazing how few people really understand free market economics and how to use it to their advantage rather than being a victim of it.

I am NOT going to pay extra for another AR or ammo just so a gun seller can make a little extra money. There is just so much I am willing to pay for these things...sorry. I have to keep my money to feed and house MY OWN family first....sorry.

-brickboy240