PDA

View Full Version : Magpul UBR stocks question

RogerinTPA
03-01-08, 11:07
I know we have all holding our breath for this stock to be made available to the public, but does anyone know where I can get a preproduction or pre-debut UBR OD green stock or are all preproduction stocks only available to industry professionals? Thanks.

Jeffy
03-01-08, 12:24
Magpul has given a bunch of preproduction UBR's out for T&E in various colors. A few months back Magpul also offered preproduction UBR's to the general public but those were sold out in a few days and were only in black. Now, you just have to play the waiting game.

Stickman
03-01-08, 12:28
I know we have all holding our breath for this stock to be made available to the public, but does anyone know where I can get a preproduction or pre-debut UBR OD green stock or are all preproduction stocks only available to industry professionals? Thanks.

I think OD Green was the least produced of the preproduction UBRs, so you might have a hard time finding someone who will part with one. It isn't one which is very common, and is only seen in a few pictures. My best guess would be that you would need to wait until the regular production variants come on line.

Iraq Ninja
03-01-08, 18:09
I seriously doubt anyone would want to part with one. They are that damn good. They sent me a tan one for testing over here, and said it was one of the few tan stocks they had.

Only issue so far was a bit of dust that built up on the rails after a week of sand storms. I had to clean it and use a small bit of gun lube to get it back to normal.

Colt6920
03-01-08, 21:40
Is there a release date for these?? Or guestimated date of release?

militarymoron
03-02-08, 00:17
here's one in foliage green.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/ubr.jpg

Jeffy
03-02-08, 01:48
Is there a release date for these?? Or guestimated date of release?

TBA :p

NickB
03-02-08, 03:15
UBR should be shipping this month. I don't know what colors will be produced first, but OD shouldn't be far off now.

CONKLE73
03-02-08, 09:01
Its funny, after all the hype I see a lot of the people that got their hands on the pre production models selling them for less than they paid for them. I wonder why?

ColtCCO
03-02-08, 09:51
Its funny, after all the hype I see a lot of the people that got their hands on the pre production models selling them for less than they paid for them. I wonder why?

I bought one from someone who did just that, bought it from the pre-production stock, and then sold it to me. It's nice, very sturdy and tough, and light years less complex than an M93. It is not terribly light. I find it balances out a rail forend and X200 light decently well, and I prefer the balance of of my carbine with the UBR, but I can immediately see how it wouldn't be right for everyone. My coworker was an Army Ranger, and he's understandably opposed to carrying any weight that doesn't have to be carried. He prefers the CTR stock.

Failure2Stop
03-02-08, 10:49
UBR should be shipping this month. I don't know what colors will be produced first, but OD shouldn't be far off now.

F**K YEAH!

I have been clinging to sanity awaiting this for a middie or SPR build I am in the middle of.

At this point, I don't even care about color. . .no, that's a lie.

Jay Cunningham
03-02-08, 10:55

Is this a rhetorical question? :confused: Perhaps you should contact these individuals and find out from them if you're so curious as to their motivations.

Or, perhaps, they simply want a production model.

RogerinTPA
03-02-08, 10:59

Thats awesome! I wasn't looking for a hand out by the way...., just trying to redo my RECCE build, but figured I'd have to play the waiting game like the rest of us. I'll lay odds that they won't be shipping this month either, but if they do, they will go like hot cakes. For those who got the preproduction stocks, what was the feed back you sent back to Magpul? Anything you didn't like about it?

Anyone willing to part with one, I'll pay fair market value and spray paint the damn thing!:p

RogerinTPA
03-02-08, 11:04

Maybe they found that it wasn't their "cup of tea" so to speak. At any rate, good on those who were able to obtain them.

RogerinTPA
03-02-08, 11:12
here's one in foliage green.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/ubr.jpg

Don't "Tease Me" Bro!

SuicideHz
03-02-08, 11:21
Well I was one of those individuals!

I sold mine for a $5 loss. No big deal.

For me it was something I thought I HAD to have when given the opportunity.

But, it was a little heavy and seemed awkward on my 11.5" SBR.

I'd definitely use on on a 16" midlength or longer!

tweakmeister
03-02-08, 13:15
I've had a pre-production model for a couple months now, and can tell it will probably be one of those hit-or-miss things with folks.

To me, the UBR is best used on something like a longer rifle with a variable optic, where you need to get a constant cheek weld (like using a fixed stock) close to the upper receiver. It's then collapsible (with no change in where your cheek sits in relation to the optic) if you wear heavier clothing, etc. The weight also helps balance the rifle with things like a bipod on the business end.

For shorter carbines and the like (for instance with an Aimpoint), I've found I prefer something like a SOPMOD.

Jeffy
03-02-08, 13:33
Some of those who bought the UBR probably should have waited for the ACS Carbine stock then.

SuicideHz
03-02-08, 15:27
Some of those who bought the UBR probably should have waited for the ACS Carbine stock then.

There was nothing to "wait" for since the UBR was available a long time before any public mention of any other stocks.

Jeffy
03-02-08, 17:00
There was nothing to "wait" for since the UBR was available a long time before any public mention of any other stocks.

Yeah, the ACS seems to have flown under everyone radar. There were no spiffy pictures of it on the web until SHOTS, unlike the UBR, 20rnd Pmags and ranger plates. The ACS looks nice though. Sort of a combination of the UBR and the CTR. But then it' seems like a good idea to wait till after the SHOTs show unless you gotta have it.

SuicideHz
03-02-08, 17:03
Yeah, the ACS seems to have flown under everyone radar. There were no spiffy pictures of it on the web until SHOTS, unlike the UBR, 20rnd Pmags and ranger plates. The ACS looks nice though. Sort of a combination of the UBR and the CTR. But then it' seems like a good idea to wait till after the SHOTs show unless you gotta have it.

I'm still not tracking- Magpul didn't realease any stocks, prototypes, pictures or anything until SHOT. There was absolutely no way to know.

I get a little bit of information here and there from old friends. That stock wasn't one of those things that was out there when the UBR was made available for a short time. :)

ETA: I tend to think of "flying under the radar" to mean that something's out but doesn't catch anyone's attention. I don't believe this to be the case with the ACS so that's why I disagreed with you.

Jeffy
03-02-08, 17:36
I'm still not tracking- Magpul didn't realease any stocks, prototypes, pictures or anything until SHOT. There was absolutely no way to know.

I get a little bit of information here and there from old friends. That stock wasn't one of those things that was out there when the UBR was made available for a short time. :)

ETA: I tend to think of "flying under the radar" to mean that something's out but doesn't catch anyone's attention. I don't believe this to be the case with the ACS so that's why I disagreed with you.

Sorry, my mistake, I didn't realize the UBR was show at SHOT back in 2006. So, it's been two years and then some wait.

Although if they are just now showing the ACS and it hasn't done any T&E prior, having the product launch this year is a really short time frame.

SuicideHz
03-02-08, 18:08
Yeah, they've supposedly learned from prior "mistakes" of showing us what they want to make and us bitching when we don't get it right away. Everything from here on out will be given to us when it's ready and not before. Sure there will be preproductions of items but probably nothing like the UBR and MASADA again...

FWIW, I don't blame them. from what I understand, they've had a hard time dealing with the window lickers on TOS when issues like this come up.