PDA

View Full Version : Almost done without a question, but...

Plinker
01-12-13, 14:38
Using a Windham M4 16" flattop with an A2 front sight. Is there a small piccatiany that can mount to the bottom block of the sight or is it primarly for a Bipod...links?
I measured the hand guard at 6" front to back grip area. When ordering a new rail system hand guard, are all M4 hand guards 6" or is it best to avoid the oops and ask. Thanks for looking.

eodinert
01-12-13, 15:18
It's really hard to tell what you're trying to ask, but I'm not sure why you'd want a bipod on that rifle.

Handguards are generally based on the length of the gas system, often refered to as carbine, mid-length, and rifle. An M4 type rifle will have carbine length handguards.

Plinker
01-12-13, 15:35
It's really hard to tell what you're trying to ask, but I'm not sure why you'd want a bipod on that rifle.

Handguards are generally based on the length of the gas system, often refered to as carbine, mid-length, and rifle. An M4 type rifle will have carbine length handguards.

Two part question I guess...do not want a Bipod! It looks like the mount is for that purpose so that one is off the table. Doing a lot of woodwork, I measure everything...the hand guard is 6-1/8 grip area and 6-5/8" overall length. The upper is 16” Heavy Upper Receiver/Barrel Assembly - Complete Less A4 Carry Handle from Windham. So I'm guessing carbine? Just want the right size rail system.

AKDoug
01-12-13, 16:00
The block on the bottom of the A2 sight is the bayonet lug. Yep, it's carbine length.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

Plinker
01-12-13, 19:21
The block on the bottom of the A2 sight is the bayonet lug. Yep, it's carbine length.
Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

Thanks Doug...I suck for phrasing it badly. Vocabulary will improve as this build finishes. Thanks again for the slack!

The_Hammer_Man
01-12-13, 22:45
CAA makes a little rail mount that attachs to your bayonet mount. As well as others that clamp into place on the FSB for holding flashlights/bipods and the like.

I won't say its great product. Personally I think it's a fix looking for a problem :)

To each their own though.

Plinker
01-13-13, 18:35
CAA makes a little rail mount that attachs to your bayonet mount. As well as others that clamp into place on the FSB for holding flashlights/bipods and the like.

I won't say its great product. Personally I think it's a fix looking for a problem :)

To each their own though.

I saw that mount. If you don't want to change the handguard, it would work for a light. If the mount is used for a Bipod...maybe it should stay that way?

rockonman
01-14-13, 00:04
The mount isn't used for a bipod, it's used to mount a bayonet on your rifle. What are you looking to mount under there?

ETA: I'm not up on California law, but are you allowed to have bayonet lugs there?

http://www.quarterbore.com/images/bayonet_pics/16inchwithbayo.jpg

Plinker
01-14-13, 08:22
The mount isn't used for a bipod, it's used to mount a bayonet on your rifle. What are you looking to mount under there?

ETA: I'm not up on California law, but are you allowed to have bayonet lugs there?

http://www.quarterbore.com/images/bayonet_pics/16inchwithbayo.jpg
That's a good question. I'm guessing that since they shipped it here, it's legal. But I really have no need for a bayonet. I ordered a rail hand guard to solve the mounting problem.