PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint: Shoot Around Corners?

Tomac
03-01-08, 12:37
Anyone know anything about these? Looks interesting but I don't know how practical they would be: http://www.ar15.com:80/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=368780 Thx!...
Tomac

Harv
03-01-08, 13:21
Yup.. lets you shoot around corners.... Very specialized piece of Kit I have no use for..;)
But If I did need to shoot around corners.. this is what I would use....

Tomac
03-01-08, 13:43
Any idea who made these? Hmmm.... Maybe I'll pick one up out of curiosity, just for kicks & giggles... ;)
Tomac

Sabre675
03-01-08, 17:40
Aimpoint. Available to Military as of now as far as I know. Maybe LE market soon. I'd like to sample one for active shooter training scenario's to see if it would be useful to us. If you have any further questions I'd hit up Freddie B.

Tomac
03-01-08, 18:01
Aimpoint. Available to Military as of now as far as I know. Maybe LE market soon. I'd like to sample one for active shooter training scenario's to see if it would be useful to us. If you have any further questions I'd hit up Freddie B.

Thx! I think you just answered my most important question, now I'm not worried about the quality. If I do pick one up I'll be sure to post an eval w/pics.
Tomac

FJB
03-01-08, 21:45
Tomac,
It is properly called the Concealed Engagement Unit or CEU. Watch segment five at www.downrange.tv/show2/ to learn more about it.

The CEU is only available to Military units and LE agencies and requires DoD or Department letter head paper stating it is for that use. This is a Swedish Government requirement for export to the United States.

Retail price is $377

Here is some more info about the CEU as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKCLLeFW7l8

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3ac6ddcf38-290f-47d3-956a-5f2fd7fa6e87

http://www.defense-update.com/products/c/CEU.htm

S/F

FJB
03-01-08, 21:59
Oops, my bad. I didn't click on the link in Tomac's post until after I posted my comments. The item in Tomac's thread is of course not the CEU.

However, before I retired from the Marine Corps I did have the opportunity to assess the ICRO to purchase for my unit. I was told that several thousand were purchased for units within the 101st for OIF. The ICRO was actually developed by company contracted by DOD to find inexpensive solutions to complex problems. Their name escapes me at this time. Anyway, it is not a bad piece of kit. It's biggest down side is that the image you see is a reverse or mirror image of the target or threat. Thus, you have to move the carbine/rifle opposite of what the image shows. Just for comparison (not meant to sound self serving), the Aimpoint CEU's image is a true image, thus you move the carbine/rifle in the direction you want to view.

S/F

Sabre675
03-01-08, 22:23
Oops! Guess I didn't click on the link either. Don't know much about that unit.

Freddie. Will Aimpoint be sending out test units if requested? I usually don't ask but this isn't something that alot of vendors will have on hand to find out if it is applicable to an Agencies training. Looks promising for active shooter scenario's.

Also, if one were to want one where would the LE Letterhead need to be sent to? And is the price you listed what an individual Officer or Agency would pay?

Thanks,

Kevin

Tomac
03-01-08, 22:24
Thx, FJB! I really appreciate your hands-on info, am still undecided whether or not to pick one up to play with. :confused:
Tomac
ETA: Would you say it's a practical piece of kit?

FJB
03-01-08, 23:30
Sabre,
Aimpoint has a T&E program for all of our sights for LEAs and Military units, this will include the CEU. For LEA test and evals you need to contact either Paul Cunningham at 703-263-9795 Ext 221 or Mark Cockman at 801-561-1967. They'll help you with the Letterhead etc.

Tomac,
The following is just MY opinion on the ICRO. Not knowing what your mission etc. is I can't say one way or another if it is practical for you. For military or LE dynamic CQB missions it isn't as viable, but for more "slower" paced conventional MOUT or LE barricaded suspect type ops then it might prove more viable. Not sure it has much application for civilian use, but to each their own and there may be applications that my small brain has yet to conceive.

S/F

one
03-02-08, 01:33
I have an ICRO.

It does work pretty well for what it's designed. I've used it primarily around barricades and the like during range time. Hit's were easy to obtain, though I never used it any further out than around forty or fifty yards. I don't know how well it would work out at distances beyond that.

For a while I carried it affixed to the Aimpoint that's on my LMT CQBR upper. I normally carry the SBR ready to go leaning into the floorboard on the passengerside along the radios. One day I pulled the gun up and upon exiting the vehicle for some range time I realized that the mirror was unintentionally pivoted over. Of course this completely blocked the view through the Aimpoint in a normal use scenario.

So after that I refrained from keeping it on the sight all the time. It would be a little more at home in a tac vest and if enough time was available placed on the sight when needed from behind cover. Even then I'd recommend you spend enough range time with it to be sure you're competent firing with it in a setting where you're accountable for rounds fired. Like a LE engagement where there's even the slightest risk an innocent could be near the line of fire against a perpetrator

While that one you linked is the exact item I have I didn't pay that much for it. I picked it up on the EE there I think from an individual seller. Can't recall the price.

It also works well for looking at hot chicks surreptitiously.

Sabre675
03-02-08, 02:50
Sabre,
Aimpoint has a T&E program for all of our sights for LEAs and Military units, this will include the CEU. For LEA test and evals you need to contact either Paul Cunningham at 703-263-9795 Ext 221 or Mark Cockman at 801-561-1967. They'll help you with the Letterhead etc.

S/F

Thanks. I appreciate the info.

Kevin

Sabre675
03-02-08, 03:09
FJB, I forgot to ask one thing. Do you know what mount should be used with this unit if it needed to be used in conjunction with a T1 micro on a Larue Lower 1/3 mount?

Thanks again,

Kevin

FJB
03-02-08, 13:10
FJB, I forgot to ask one thing. Do you know what mount should be used with this unit if it needed to be used in conjunction with a T1 micro on a Larue Lower 1/3 mount?

Thanks again,

Kevin

Kevin,
Good question. You need the TwistMount Base and the CEU High Mount for it to work with either CompM2,M3, M4 in either standard height mounts or LT 1/3 Mounts, or Micro T-1s in the LT66X Tall riser.

S/F