PDA

View Full Version : AAC Handi Rifle in 300 Blackout

KTR03
01-12-13, 23:40
Hey There Guys,
I went to my NFA dealer to pick up my Octane 9 HD and he had an AAC handi-rifle in stock. The first thing that struck me is how incredibly small it was. For reasons that are unclear to me, I had to have it. Short, fast handling. Bone simple. Whats not to like? He made me a good deal on the gun and the piston for the Octane 9 (it doesn't use the 9mm thread pitch). The trigger has no creep but is heavier than it needs to be. Stock is molded plastic. Parkerized finish, picatinny rail. Everything pretty much matte black. It dissasembles like a double barrel shotgun. Remove the handguard, and the pieces just fall apart. Broken down it would easily fit in a small pack. I threw an old aimpoint on it and took it for a test drive with subsonic remington ammo. All rounds went into a single hole at 25 yards. Didn't get to go out any farther than that.

The Octane 9 is a good can for the gun. It is light and quiet. Hearing safe indoors and hollywood quiet outside. I'm expecting an SDN6 in april so I'll use that when it arrives. That'll give me supersonic/suppressed capability.

Overall, I'd say this is an accurate, inexpensive rifle that would be ideally suited for a survival rifle, first centerfire rifle for a small statured person, or a very capable short/medium range hunting system. ANyone else have one?

jandbj
01-13-13, 19:47
Best of the blackouts by far! Light, quiet & actually inexpensive!

KTR03
01-14-13, 17:24
Yeah, and its basically done right out of out of the box. I'm going to replace the screw in the handguard with something I can turn without a screw driver. I'm also going to put a shell holder on the stock and a 1-4 little african style scope on it. beyond that its done.

DocScurlock
01-16-13, 15:09
I just ordered one of these. Looks like a nice little gun. I have to call gemtech for a flash hider for my can. The blk is quiet in an AR, I cant wait to try it in a single shot.

majorleaguekennels
02-12-13, 09:16
I have been thinking about trying to pick one of these up. You guys still happy with your purchase?

DocScurlock
02-12-13, 13:25
I still need to get mine sighted in completely. Got it on the paper and ran out of time. Got the flash hider adapter from gemtech installed and a 1-4 scope installed. It should prove to be a handi little rifle. I will report more when I get it tuned in. It is very quiet suppressed.

Ready.Fire.Aim
02-12-13, 16:05
My Thompson Encore SBR with a 10" MGM 300Black barrel. Similar to your Handi Rifle.

Compared to AR15 SBR with 12.5" 300 Black barrel.

Encore is perfect for shooting subsonic hand loads loads that don't feed well in an AR. like 245g RN cast lead or Lehigh Defense bullets.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/Aggie84/D3BEE2AE-3AD9-4F07-A74D-9537C1C8D6F5-404-0000003E8BCCA3AB.jpg

Polymerhead
02-17-13, 20:02
I built a Rem 700 in 300 BLK and I like it but it's pretty heavy for a light recoiling rifle. I think the handi rifle is a neat range toy or gun to keep in the truck for coyotes and such, but I would never keep my suppressor in the truck so I dunno exactly what role it would fill except range toy, which is just fine if that's what you want.

For hunting, a repeater like the Micro 7 or 700 makes more sense to me if you're not going the AR route.

wburns
02-17-13, 20:28
I have one of the little guys too. AAC flash hider, chinese BSA red-dot. Doesn't do bad for a little single shot. I haven't really found a use for it like I thought I would though. (My .17hmr continues to ride with me too)

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15449&d=1361154490

Sooie
02-18-13, 00:33
Those are sweet little guns! Gonna have to add it to "the list".