PDA

View Full Version : On going project

k9dpd
03-01-08, 14:59
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/k9dpd/100_0472.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/k9dpd/100_0473.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/k9dpd/100_0474.jpg

I set out to build the perfect rifle for my needs; first I had to determine what my needs were.
• Lightweight, I am not getting any younger and on extended callouts you really notice the weight of your gear.
• Accurate
• 1/7 twist
• Able to use for work and home

I will start at the back of the gun and work my way forward and try to rationalize why I chose each part.
Buttstock- I went with the Magpul CTR, I have been using this stock for a while and now I use it on my SBR and this gun. I chose the CTR because of it good cheek weld, lighter weight (my other stock of choice is the LMT SOPMOD) and built in swivel mount, firm lockup and overall durability.
Sling- This was a no brainer for me, I tried the Vickers tactical sling when it first came out and installed them on all my guns. After taking a Rifle class with LAV and with him showing the proper way to use it, I am still thrilled with the sling, I started out with three points and then to single points and now I am back to a “new” two point sling.
Lower- I wanted a matched gun so I went with a hand selected matched upper and lower from CMT. This was done by Dennys Tactical. The upper to lower fit is very tight and is a great match. I installed CMT parts into and a set of KNS anti rotation pins for good measure. I have taught several classes here of late where pins walked out causing the gun to go full auto, but not like it’s supposed to. I am using a standard trigger. A H buffer is being used.
Upper- CMT upper with M4 feedramps. The bolt/carrier group is also CMT with a full auto carrier being used for some extra weight. The bolt is MP inspected.
Rear BUIS- I went with the tried and true Larue fixed sight. I like the robustness of the sight and the ease of use.
Optic- I started out with a ML3 on it but recently came in possession of a T-1 micro, it is mounted in a high Larue mount to enable cowitness. I recently used this gun in a Chris Costa class, Magpul’s new training director, and it worked like a champ. The sight worked up to my expectations.
Rail- I wanted to keep with the light theme so I installed Daniel Defenses new Lite rail, the rail installed with no problems and is very light and manageable.
Barrel- I wanted something light weight, 1/7 twist with M4 feedramps and 14.5 inches and a mid-length gas system. The choice at the time was very limited. I went with CMMG’s 14.5 inch lightweight mid-length barrel. It had all the features that I wanted and was priced right. I permanently installed a M4-2000 flash hider which brought the OAL to 16.1.
Flashlight- Again sticking with the light them, I went with Surefires Scout light the 600A model. I installed a Larue mount and a red filter on it. Enough said it’s a Surefire.
Foregrip- I had a normal MK-46 grip on there for the longest time until LAV showed me another way to grip the gun and I griped it higher and didn’t really need the full length grip, so I replaced it with their smaller version and it feels great.
Magazine- I have been running the Pmags from Magpul. They have been 100% reliable in this gun. I have been using them in training at work and on my own and they are performing as advertised.
I have had the rifle built for the better part of a year and half, only minor tweaks have been made to it. I have taken it through a Super Dave Harrington class as well as the mentioned LAV and Chris Costa class. The gun has been performed just as intended. It is my favorite gun out of all the many AR’s I have owed and shot. I have used it at work during the year and half and it has performed just like the intended goal. The accuracy if I do my part is MOA, the gun balances and handles like a fine Swiss watch. I have built the perfect rifle for my needs and uses, my holy grail, the perfect combination of parts. People talk about what guns are better and what is the perfect part. After years of buying and selling parts, the only perfect part is one that fits your needs and uses, what I think is the perfect gun or part, other’s may say, what a POS. With today’s guns and parts available there is no need to keep up with the Jones, just figure out what works best for you and enjoy it.

Sam
03-01-08, 15:23
Nice gat Lt. You've got to let me try that Aimpoint out.

mvician
03-08-08, 18:44
:cool: