PDA

View Full Version : Need help selecting gas block.

!Nvasi0n
01-13-13, 18:07
Hey guys, quick question here. I ordered this barrel from BCM last wee...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-14-5-Mid-Length-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-s-mid-14%20bfh.htm

The problem is, I want to order a gas block and tube, an I don't see a spec anywhere! Can someone help me out and tell me what diameter Gas block I'll need?

Assuming BCM only has two size gas blocks, I'd say its 50/50, but I still want to get it right.

Instinct tells me it's the small .625" being government profile and all.

If this is something that's been asked before I apologize.

Travis B
01-13-13, 18:32
You'll need a .750" lo pro gas block and midlength gas tube. I have a block from bcm and it does the job.

Most importantly get the gas block pinned. You'll thank me later.

AKDoug
01-13-13, 18:36
Never mind*** travis edited while I was posting

!Nvasi0n
01-13-13, 18:42
Thanks Travis!

!Nvasi0n
01-13-13, 18:44
Will the set screw come lose even with red loc-tite??? I can pin it if I need too...

AKDoug
01-13-13, 18:50
Pinned is better, but red locktite on a BCM gasblock with a dimpled barrel is pretty damn good. BCM uses set screws with a knurled tip on them to dig into the barrel.

Travis B
01-13-13, 19:02
Never mind*** travis edited while I was posting

My mind was in a few different places. Corrected.

Travis B
01-13-13, 19:11
Will the set screw come lose even with red loc-tite??? I can pin it if I need too...

I had one come loose with red loctite before I pinned it. Granted it wasn't the bcm block, I'm still not going to take a chance again.

Clint
01-13-13, 20:05
Rocksett is better than loctite for this application.

You can stake the screws too.

AKDoug
01-13-13, 20:56
Yep, staking is a great choice too. I honestly didn't think of it until I read that thread over in Technical.

CoryCop25
01-13-13, 21:00
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=118884

PrarieDog
01-13-13, 21:05
Rocksett is better than loctite for this application.

You can stake the screws too.

You may want to hold off on the staking until you make sure your rifle runs properly. Sucks to undo the work you did when you are a 1/2 hole off. Of course I would not be speaking from experience ;)

jaxman7
01-13-13, 21:32
Pinned is better, but red locktite on a BCM gasblock with a dimpled barrel is pretty damn good. BCM uses set screws with a knurled tip on them to dig into the barrel.

Anyone know if Vltor's GB has the same type of set screw tips as the BCM version? I should know this but don't. I have one mounted now. Will be taking it off soon.

-Jax

AKDoug
01-13-13, 21:55
It would be good to know. The BCM and Vltor low profile gas blocks are extremely similar (minus the cuts in the Vltor block). Knowing the relationship BCM and Vltor has, I wouldn't doubt they are the same gas block.

jaxman7
01-13-13, 22:28
It would be good to know. The BCM and Vltor low profile gas blocks are extremely similar (minus the cuts in the Vltor block). Knowing the relationship BCM and Vltor has, I wouldn't doubt they are the same gas block.

Good point and agree with the Vltor/BCM relationship.

Anyone know who actually designed (or was on the design team) for BCM's Comp? Not trying to start anything but everytime I look at mine it reminds me of Vltor's flash hider.

-Jax

CoryCop25
01-14-13, 00:16

Anyone know who actually designed (or was on the design team) for BCM's Comp? Not trying to start anything but everytime I look at mine it reminds me of Vltor's flash hider.

-Jax

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=121103

jaxman7
01-14-13, 09:04
Appreciate the link CoryCop. Completely missed that thread.

-Jax

JLBIII
01-14-13, 10:16
Geissele Automatics will be releasing the Super Gas Block soon after we return from SHOT that has 2 set screws and can be pinned. It is listed on our website under Armorer's Tools.

JB
Geissele Automatics

mtdawg169
01-14-13, 10:23

-Jax

I asked about any link between Vltor and the BCM comp in the announcement thread. Military Moron replied back and said it was NOT a joint BCM / Vltor project. I'm assuming it was designed in house by BCM, maybe part of their new skunk works / R&D division. With Eric joining the BCM team, I expect that we will see a lot more coming from BCM in the future.

!Nvasi0n
01-14-13, 11:18
Geissele Automatics will be releasing the Super Gas Block soon after we return from SHOT that has 2 set screws and can be pinned. It is listed on our website under Armorer's Tools.

JB
Geissele Automatics

Very interesting, that's so much for the heads up sir!
Will be looking out for that product ASSP!

!Nvasi0n
01-14-13, 11:25
I really appreciate all the help and input guys!

jaxman7
01-14-13, 19:34

AKDoug,

Taking a barrel off tonight. Here is a pic of the bottom of Vltor's set scre GB.

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/2013-01-14_19-30-36_926.jpg
-Jax