PDA

View Full Version : My impulse buy...Benelli M4!

buckshot1220
01-13-13, 19:37
So I haven't really been panic buying at all. My gun collection is at a "happy place" so to speak, meaning that if all I could have for the future is what I own right now, I'd feel comfortable.

That being said, I got the urge to purchase a SuperNova Tactical after handling a standard Nova Tactical with Ghost Rings. Well, I searched and searched and none to be found (not with a PG stock and Ghost Rings at least). Last night I step into my LGS and see a Benelli M4 that has been there for about a week. With all the panic buying I thought for sure all semi-auto shotguns would be gone. I handled it, and loved it, but wasn't so sure about the $1,650 price tag as I had never looked up actual prices on the model. So, I put it down and left about 5 min before closing.

After researching the gun for most of the night, and also finding them out of stock and going for $2,200+ on GB and TOS classifieds, I decided it was a decent deal. If I was going to step into the world of autoloading shotguns, I wanted to be sure I was getting one "Most Likely to Achieve." At worst, if I downright hated it I could get my money and then some back out of a sale. I was there first thing this morning credit card in hand and took her home.

Like every gun I buy, I have a strict policy of field stripping and cleaning/lubing before the first shot is fired and this would be no exception. I was absolutely astounded by the fit and finish on the weapon. The machining is smooth with no striations or tooling marks to speak of, the park/anodizing is consistent and even small details like the two piece hand-guards lock up nice and tight (tighter than any AR I've handled). I had high range expectations.

Off to the range I go. Kinda crappy weather here today so I hit up the indoor pistol range which also allows shotguns. The first handful of rounds I fire are Remington Buckhammer 3" Mag slugs. These have been sitting around for years, because all I can remember from the last time I shot them was that they HURT! Not the case here, very smooth recoil. Like a heavy thump versus a violent punch that I got when fired from my Winchester Defender. It should be noted, though, that this is not a fair comparison due to the fact that I had no other auto's to test it against. The factory sights were dead-on, and I mean DEAD-ON out to 25yds offhand (max distance at this range). Repeatedly having groups where all rounds were touching was no problem. No malfs or hiccups to report.

Next up was buckshot. Again, I had some Remington 9-pellet 00buck kicking around. Patterning at 15yds with the stock choke were about the size of a closed fist. On FBI Q targets, the patterns made a nice circle around the Q.

I then ran a bunch of mixed ammo I had kicking around. Roughly 40 rounds of bird, buck, slugs of 2.75" and 3" variety, you name it, it ate it. Recoil from birdshot felt like that of a small caliber rifle more so than a shotgun, very light and controllable recoil impulses from all rounds fired today.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. I spent more on this shotgun than I could've ever imagined spending on any shotgun, but I believe I got one of the best defensive auto's on the market. I look forward to putting it through its paces in the weeks to come and making some ergonomic and sighting changes. I have an Aimpoint M4 in the closet that will find it's home atop the factory equipped pic-rail. I also plan to upgrade to the Mesa Urbino stock for the shorter LOP (all my current shotguns have gotten the 1" off hacksaw treatment to fit my stature and preferred stance) and optional cheek riser to gain a proper cheekweld when using the Aimpoint. A light/mount and sling will round out the gun quite nicely.

Anyone here with experience recommend any replacement/wearable parts to keep handy like springs etc? Also, any recommendations on slings?

SGT45
01-13-13, 22:28
Buck,

I did the same a few weeks ago. Bought a M4 and a SNT. The SNT is home and I pick up the M4 at the end of this week. Love them.

sw1911
01-14-13, 18:09
too much for my blood. glad you like it!

Chunky Monkey
01-14-13, 18:25
Would love to add one to my collection by they are also a little to pricy for me right now.

Zane1844
01-14-13, 18:30
I am really interested in the Benelli m4.

Does anyone know of any good review videos on them? I was looking last night on youtube as I was trying to sleep and could only find shooting videos.

Freedoms Guardian
01-15-13, 01:11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6GWfg193vQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also consider searching for "ghost loading" which allows a Benelli M4 to carry a total of nine rounds if you have the extended magazine installed. 7 + 1 + 1 = 9 rnds. Seven in the mag, one on the carrier (lifter), and one in the chamber.

The patent protection on the Benelli ARGO System expired and can now be found on the new Remington VersaMax. But since the MSRP for a VersaMax is around $1400, my vote is with Benelli -- all day long!

All tactical shotgun owners should consider getting a set of Magpul's training DVDs, Art of the Dynamic Shotgun, with Chris Costa and Travis Haley. Best five hours of tactical shotgun instruction out there.

t0kie
01-18-13, 01:03
A friend of mine has one & it is a nice shotgun, well built.

nikuraba29
01-18-13, 07:07
Picked up my M4 Tactical (SBS) last month. Only took 18 months to get but totally worth it. Only paid 1700.00 for in 2010 and then waited for Impact Guns to get them in stock and transfer to my Class 3. I love the shit out of mine.

S/F

buckshot1220
01-18-13, 08:17
The patent protection on the Benelli ARGO System expired and can now be found on the new Remington VersaMax. But since the MSRP for a VersaMax is around $1400, my vote is with Benelli -- all day long!

I have zero experience with the VersaMax, but Remington is currently owned by Cerberus Capital Management, a group of bean counters determined to cut costs while gutting the company for all it is worth. Simply due to their current ownership, I have a strong emotional reason to stay away. I picked up an 870 20ga a little while ago so that my little cousin could come shooting with me without hurting his shoulder, the machining on the receiver is some of the worst I have seen. If it wasn't on sale for $250 I wouldn't have bought it. There is some talk that Cerberus is now trying to sell Remington. This may be the best thing for Remington, if they can get back on their own two feet we may see a return to the glory days.

Tech question, is the VersaMax gas system exactly the same or produced by Benelli for Remington? Or is it just strikingly similar.

twodollarbill
01-18-13, 10:32
I really like my Benelli M3 Super90 and I have a M2 sbs.
Just after Christmas our local Scheels got in four M4's.
The mgr said they only get about 12 a year.
I could not pass picking one up. They had them at $1600
Would like to sbs it, but those barrels systems are selling for almost the price of the shotgun.
I think it is going to get a lot of use.

RHINOWSO
01-18-13, 11:37
I don't have a M4, but I have an M2 Tactical. It kicks ass.

twistedcomrade
01-18-13, 13:31
I don't have a M4, but I have an M2 Tactical. It kicks ass.

I have M2 Tactical too and it is awasome. Glad you are digging your new M4 there buckshot. I lust over them everytime I see one at a show or in Academy.

RHINOWSO
01-19-13, 14:01
I have M2 Tactical too and it is awasome. Glad you are digging your new M4 there buckshot. I lust over them everytime I see one at a show or in Academy.
My M2 Tac. At the time I went M2 vice M4 because it was harder to make the M4 922r compliant. It's still more expensive to do the M4 (in addition to it being more expensive as well), but there are more parts you can swap these days.

Unfortunately Benelli made some changes and I can't ghost load my M2, not sure if they made the change to M4s as well...

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/Benelli/4e6263e9.jpg

rootbrain
01-19-13, 16:38
My impulse buy was a Colt LE6920 right after Thanksgiving. Was shopping for presents at WallyWorld and just happened to notice this on the gun rack. $1097, could sell for 2-3 times that.

Right after I managed 3-40 rounds mil mags, 500 round bulk .223 and a Walter PS22 RDS.

Rootbrain

SGT45
01-19-13, 21:28
I picked her up today. This pic was with my cell phone. will get better pics soon

Mauser KAR98K
01-19-13, 23:09
Congrats on the M4!

I would have picked one up, but my LGS got one after I got my M2. They only wanted $1400 for it new last year. Sigh...

My M2 Tac...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8182/8030897765_21d9ccfb68_b.jpg

BTW: I love my limb saver!

RHINOWSO
01-20-13, 09:49
Only bad thing about Benelli fixed stocks is the crazy long LOP. Italians must have really long arms!

buckshot1220
01-20-13, 20:30
Some nice M2's pictured guys! I like that gun as well, I just happened to stumble across this and the bug bit me. I had also considered the FN SLP and still hold that gun in high regard.

Can someone recommend a good sling for the M4 using factory mounts? I have had great success with the Vicker's VCAS, and I think I will go that route. Does anyone see a good reason not to?

SGT45
01-20-13, 22:18
Only bad thing about Benelli fixed stocks is the crazy long LOP. Italians must have really long arms!

I agree. I am thinking about getting a factory collapsible stock or Mesa Tactical stock

IZinterrogator
01-21-13, 08:55
I picked her up today. This pic was with my cell phone. will get better pics soon

Now you just need to get with Carriercomp and order a full-length magazine tube. And whatever other parts you need to get 922r legal.

RHINOWSO
01-21-13, 19:22
I agree. I am thinking about getting a factory collapsible stock or Mesa Tactical stock
Just beware that adding the factory collapsible stock means you have to change out 4 instead of 3 parts for US parts, since BATFE counts that stock as 2 Italian parts. Not a big deal, but just something to be aware of.

rundm
01-23-13, 17:17
Picked up my M4 Tactical (SBS) last month. Only took 18 months to get but totally worth it. Only paid 1700.00 for in 2010 and then waited for Impact Guns to get them in stock and transfer to my Class 3. I love the shit out of mine.

S/F

I went through them also and took about the same amount of time. I got mine mid 2012 and I love it. My carrier comp is on the way for my other M4 and should be added to her in just a couple of weeks. 9 rounds, good God man.
http://i47.tinypic.com/d7l12.jpg

SOWT
01-24-13, 18:24

I bought a Mesa Stock and love it. I also grabbed a charging handle from GG&G and will buy their bolt release next payday.

domestique
01-25-13, 09:22
Congrats on the new M4. I was soo close to buying one a couple years ago, but that was before they had USA made stocks to be 922r complient.

SOWT
01-26-13, 10:40
ATI has a new collapsible stock for the M-4 (Can't believe I missed this at SHOT). and a "922R" package.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/benelli-/529-benelli-m4-raven-stock.html

SCARed
01-30-13, 01:03
922 rules only apply to the manufacturers and importers. So to the end user, they don't matter. Mod away as you please.

buckshot1220
01-30-13, 20:32
922 rules only apply to the manufacturers and importers. So to the end user, they don't matter. Mod away as you please.

922r applies to all parties involved. Unless something changed very recently, anyone in possession of a firearm that falls outside of the "sporting clause" must be in compliance. The only exemptions are LE/Mil, pre-'89 imports and NFA registered firearms.

SCARed
01-31-13, 00:07
922r applies to all parties involved. Unless something changed very recently, anyone in possession of a firearm that falls outside of the "sporting clause" must be in compliance. The only exemptions are LE/Mil, pre-'89 imports and NFA registered firearms.

I'll need to check my sources, but it's my understanding that the end user is not liable or responsible for 922r compliance. So if you bought a firearm, you are not responsible to ensure what your buying is compliant. Besides, how would one know where country of orgin is on a milled piece of metal?

I'm sure all of us have bought numerous used parts the we have no idea what country they came from.

Can you tell me where every piece of my SCAR is made? JUst by looking at it can you, or more importantly the BATFE, tell me where every piece came from? I certainly couldn't.

buckshot1220
01-31-13, 08:45
I'll need to check my sources, but it's my understanding that the end user is not liable or responsible for 922r compliance. So if you bought a firearm, you are not responsible to ensure what your buying is compliant. Besides, how would one know where country of orgin is on a milled piece of metal?

I'm sure all of us have bought numerous used parts the we have no idea what country they came from.

Can you tell me where every piece of my SCAR is made? JUst by looking at it can you, or more importantly the BATFE, tell me where every piece came from? I certainly couldn't.

Familiarize yourself with 922r please.

If you buy a new firearm, like your SCAR, then it is 922r compliant. It has to be in order for them to sell it. There is a mix of U.S. and overseas parts to satisfy the ATF.

As for other guns, like AK's that came in post-'89, parts made in the U.S. are clearly stamped "U.S." Same with Benelli shotguns, if you want to add a magazine extension and pistol grip, you have to also buy the necessary amount of U.S. made parts to keep it in compliance. Each gun is different, but I attached a link showing what parts are commonly swapped to de-ban a post-89 AK that also has some background regarding the law.

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=472

SOWT
01-31-13, 09:08

I can tell you were every piece of my Benelli M4 came from, that's how I know it's 922R compliant.

d90king
01-31-13, 13:41
I keep being tempted to buy a new M4 but my early M1S90 just wont die... I prefer it with the regular field stock on it for the LOP but even with the PG its suitable...
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/3184bc4b-1.jpg

F_G
01-31-13, 18:50
I keep being tempted to buy a new M4 but my early M1S90 just wont die... I prefer it with the regular field stock on it for the LOP but even with the PG its suitable...
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/3184bc4b-1.jpgI'm in the same boat. I have 2 M1 tacticals and 1 26" sporting M1. I would love to get an M4, but then again I ask myself, why?

rundm
01-31-13, 23:26
Now you just need to get with Carriercomp and order a full-length magazine tube. And whatever other parts you need to get 922r legal.

I got one of the CC full length tubes. Should be here in a few weeks. It comes with the follower also. Now all need to do is get the hammer and I will be set for the 922R stuff.

WNY_Whitetailer
02-01-13, 00:27
Hell of an "impulse" buy...Nice gun.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-06-13, 21:27
Made the same impulse buy last night. Mine is 45 days out from Benelli due to the insane backorder.