PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Corvette Stingray

montanadave
01-14-13, 13:08
So on a lighter note amidst all the gun-control drama, GM is rolling out the design and specs on the 2014 Corvette Stingray: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130113/DETROIT/130119927

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9158/corvettestingrayxl.jpg

What do folks think? At first blush, I like the new style. Unfortunately, I'm guessing my check book won't like the price tag. Oh well, a boy can dream. :D

Pork Chop
01-14-13, 13:11
Oh my,

That's sexy.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-14-13, 13:16
Kind of looks like the Cadillac angular style from the Escalde or CTS. A blend of the crisp style of the Lambo and the fluid lines of Ferrari.

Can't wait for the Top Gear episode on it.....

MontanaDave- Don't you have a mile long dirt drive way?

01-14-13, 13:38
Like it. Would be nice to see it go head to head with a Viper.

Alaskapopo
01-14-13, 13:41
So on a lighter note amidst all the gun-control drama, GM is rolling out the design and specs on the 2014 Corvette Stingray: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130113/DETROIT/130119927

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9158/corvettestingrayxl.jpg

What do folks think? At first blush, I like the new style. Unfortunately, I'm guessing my check book won't like the price tag. Oh well, a boy can dream. :D

Looks like fun we should ban it.
Pat

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-14-13, 13:41
Corvettes have always had the absolute worst interior, cheap and plasticy, not worthy of a Malibu. This looks like a winner if they cn fix that glaring flaw.

montanadave
01-14-13, 13:42
MontanaDave- Don't you have a mile long dirt drive way?

I do. And there is no way in hell that Stingray, or anything even resembling it, will ever come up that road. :D

Of course, the only way I'll get one of those Stingrays is if I win the Powerball jackpot and, if that's the case, I'll pave the sonofabitch.

For now, this will have to suffice:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9294/img2418r.jpg

Watrdawg
01-14-13, 13:51
I've never been a fan of Corvettes but I like the looks of this one a lot! However, I think I'd opt for the Camaro ZL1. Much higher power numbers! 580hp and 556 lb-ft of torque. A lot less money also.

everyusernametaken
01-14-13, 13:57
GM has definitely taken a lot of styling cues from Ferrari on this one. The last generation Vettes were their first real attempt to compete with the red cars, and it looks like they're continuing towards that end. The only issue I see is the LT engine - I'm not sure why they would have switched from the LS2 used in the C6. Either way, I'm waiting for the Z06 specs. :)

brickboy240
01-14-13, 13:58
If you buy GM, you are supporting a govt/union owned car company.

One that also took a huge bailout.

...no thank you.

-brickboy240

Cameron
01-14-13, 13:59
The last generation Vettes were their first real attempt to compete with the red cars :D

That's funny.

Cameron

montanadave
01-14-13, 14:01

...no thank you.

-brickboy240

I get your drift ... but is it possible to have one thread in GD that doesn't turn into a political or religious slugfest?

everyusernametaken
01-14-13, 14:02
:D

That's funny.

Cameron

Have you ever seen them compete on a road course? The C6 Z06 is on par with the 430.

brickboy240
01-14-13, 14:05
No, because that is a lot of money to blow on a car and by buying these things...you're just helping those that are trying to take away our guns.

Money spent on a Vette goes to pay UAW workers and part of their check goes to union dues. Those union dues got to the DNC.

You might as well cut a check directly to the DNC. That is what you're doing when you buy GM products.

Sorry, but our rights are closer than ever to being squashed for good so yeah....we need to start starving this beast any way we can....while we still can.

Everything is political...get over it.

-brickboy240

chadbag
01-14-13, 14:17
Corvettes have always had the absolute worst interior, cheap and plasticy, not worthy of a Malibu. This looks like a winner if they cn fix that glaring flaw.

I've not been interested in a Corvette since I was about 8 years old. I did read an article on this new Stingray, however, and they claimed that those days are gone with this new car. Specifically mentioned the plastic interiors and their absence in this new car.

--

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-14-13, 14:22
I've not been interested in a Corvette since I was about 8 years old. I did read an article on this new Stingray, however, and they claimed that those days are gone with this new car. Specifically mentioned the plastic interiors and their absence in this new car.

--

Awesome, and while I would never buy one for a myriad of reasons, it will be cool to know it exists.

GeorgiaBoy
01-14-13, 14:25
No, because that is a lot of money to blow on a car and by buying these things...you're just helping those that are trying to take away our guns.

Money spent on a Vette goes to pay UAW workers and part of their check goes to union dues. Those union dues got to the DNC.

You might as well cut a check directly to the DNC. That is what you're doing when you buy GM products.

Sorry, but our rights are closer than ever to being squashed for good so yeah....we need to start starving this beast any way we can....while we still can.

Everything is political...get over it.

-brickboy240

:stop:

Back to the topic at hand....

The new Corvette definitely looks nice. GM is definitely integrating the "LED dot" headlight look of the BMW's and Audi's into their new vehicles. The vette now has them, the new GMC Sierra has them, and spy photos of the new Tahoe and Escalade have them as well.

lethal dose
01-14-13, 14:52
Looks like a body man's nightmare. Haha. Too many lines and luxury looks for me. Neat concept, though.

SteyrAUG
01-14-13, 15:00
While I am absolutely confident that the new Vette would blow mine out of the water all while getting three times the gas mileage, I guess I'm just into the classics.

http://imageshack.us/a/img171/1517/p1004012ve6.jpg

It can sometimes be a money pit, hard to get decent parts but not too many like it on the road these days.

montanadave
01-14-13, 15:06
Steyr, that car looks like Elle Macpherson with wheels!

Me likey. A lot! :D

Irish
01-14-13, 15:08

GM = China. Seriously, watch this - http://youtu.be/Lvl5Gan69Wo

The Vette design is cool, very Ferrari-esque.

brickboy240
01-14-13, 15:12
That is too much money for a plastic Chevy but if that makes you happy....go for it.

Honestly, if a vehicle does not haul my ATV and gear...I don't have a use for it.

-brickboy240

Hehuhates
01-14-13, 15:32
Not a chance. Headlights suck, is it a Nissan or an Audi?

Wake27
01-14-13, 15:38
That's ****ing sick. My dad has a '77 Corvette. I'm not so much a fan of classic cars but it is tight.

Business_Casual
01-14-13, 16:21
Those cars are sweet! The Bronco and the vettes!

Out of interest, how do you plow a gravel drive? Honestly, I'm just wondering how that works.

bc

austinN4
01-14-13, 16:24
You guys can have your Vette.

I want one of these: http://models.audiusa.com/r8

TMS951
01-14-13, 16:30
Looks like a Hyundai Tiburon, especially the way the side is,

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/07/21/15/24/2005-hyundai-tiburon-gt-pic-40276.jpeg

montanadave
01-14-13, 16:41
Those cars are sweet! The Bronco and the vettes!

Out of interest, how do you plow a gravel drive? Honestly, I'm just wondering how that works.

bc

You just set the blade 3-4" above the road level and the blade itself has a couple of skids on the bottom which are adjustable so you can bounce 'er off the road without digging the width of the blade into the ground. It's intended more for just clearing enough off to let you drive in and out and punching holes through where the road drifts in, not to get down to bare dirt/gravel.

Palmguy
01-14-13, 17:05
Love it. And I'm a Ford guy.

J-Dub
01-14-13, 17:29
Damn good looking Vette.

Belmont31R
01-14-13, 17:43
Camaro rear end.

Can't afford that level of car but if I did it would not be a Chevy. I'd rather have a C63, M3, 911, S5, ect. My 350Z was very fun, and had a a much better interior than the C6 while costing half as much for the base model.

They said the same thing about the interior with the C6, too, btw. They might have gotten it above Geo Metro level but that's not saying much. It's still a car you have to drive everyday, and I'd rather sacrifice some raw speed for a much nicer car overall.

theblackknight
01-14-13, 18:42
Have you ever seen them compete on a road course? The C6 Z06 is on par with the 430.

This! I love when American Lemans series is on tv, to bad americans dont like real motorsports and would rather tune into Nascar.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Belmont31R
01-14-13, 18:55
This! I love when American Lemans series is on tv, to bad americans dont like real motorsports and would rather tune into Nascar.

British and German touring car series has been on Speed on the weekends :p

But I don't think many people would, all else being equal, take a Vette over a Ferrari if given one for free.

Maybe they would...American's are obsessed with quarter mile times, and lose interest if a track has a right hand turn or -gasp- a car is actually based on a real car you can buy at a dealer.

Cagemonkey
01-14-13, 19:32

The Vette design is cool, very Ferrari-esque.Thanks for the info. Another reason I wouldn't buy a GM auto.

HackerF15E
01-14-13, 19:38
I haven't really cared about Vettes for decades.

The new Stingray, however, is sex on wheels. GORGEOUS.

theblackknight
01-14-13, 19:39
British and German touring car series has been on Speed on the weekends :p

But I don't think many people would, all else being equal, take a Vette over a Ferrari if given one for free.

Maybe they would...American's are obsessed with quarter mile times, and lose interest if a track has a right hand turn or -gasp- a car is actually based on a real car you can buy at a dealer.

I think thats more for pedigree and wow factor tho. I would pick the which ever one is objectivly better.

GeorgiaBoy
01-14-13, 19:47

The Vette design is cool, very Ferrari-esque.

While there is no doubt GM is heavily investing in China, I do not see how they are becoming anywhere near "China Motors". GM likes China because China is a HUGE buyer of GM vehicles. (It is the largest vehicle buying country in the world). If you have a huge market, why wouldn't you be interested? Sure, Caddilac sponsoring a Commuist movie may not be very "American", but even the video made it clear the purpose of it was to sell more cars - just typical capitalism.

I drive a GM now. My next vehicle may very well be a F-150, if I like the 2015 redesign.

Belmont31R
01-14-13, 20:09
I think thats more for pedigree and wow factor tho. I would pick the which ever one is objectivly better.

Better at what?

I personally don't care how fast a car is if it has a junk interior regardless of price. Most of the time a person spends in a car they cannot drive it like they are on a track. FWIW I was never once pulled over in my Z, and I still had fun it it...but if a person is so focused on speed rather than quality, overall, they buy a Vette then thats up to them...but maybe thats why vettes are known to be for old men and middle aged women.

Around here lots of guys in their 30's and 40's with M series BMW's, S series Audis, ect. The manager of our grocery store, a younger guy, has a Audi R8.

As an enthusiast I would like to see Chevy put quite a bit more quality in the Vette, and break out if its deserved reputation. All I'm saying is they said the same thing (about the interior) with the C6, and after being in a few it's the still at the same level of quality as cars their lineup that cost less than 20k. I have the SAME gripe about things like the various Mustang models where a 60k dollar Cobra has the same interior as a 20k V6 Mustang.

As someone interested in sports cars, and owned various models, ect...if I were up that league of 60, 70, 80k+ cars it would not be American. I don't care if its slightly less fast but still around 400HP. I would much rather be into a C63, M3, 911, S4/S5 class of car being a bit slower but a complete 180 interior wise when as a daily driver you have to live with the thing for years and be comfortable in it.

C-grunt
01-14-13, 20:41
Better at what?

I personally don't care how fast a car is if it has a junk interior regardless of price. Most of the time a person spends in a car they cannot drive it like they are on a track. FWIW I was never once pulled over in my Z, and I still had fun it it...but if a person is so focused on speed rather than quality, overall, they buy a Vette then thats up to them...but maybe thats why vettes are known to be for old men and middle aged women.

Around here lots of guys in their 30's and 40's with M series BMW's, S series Audis, ect. The manager of our grocery store, a younger guy, has a Audi R8.

As an enthusiast I would like to see Chevy put quite a bit more quality in the Vette, and break out if its deserved reputation. All I'm saying is they said the same thing (about the interior) with the C6, and after being in a few it's the still at the same level of quality as cars their lineup that cost less than 20k. I have the SAME gripe about things like the various Mustang models where a 60k dollar Cobra has the same interior as a 20k V6 Mustang.

As someone interested in sports cars, and owned various models, ect...if I were up that league of 60, 70, 80k+ cars it would not be American. I don't care if its slightly less fast but still around 400HP. I would much rather be into a C63, M3, 911, S4/S5 class of car being a bit slower but a complete 180 interior wise when as a daily driver you have to live with the thing for years and be comfortable in it.

My best friend is up in that class and he completely agrees with you. He and I have always been car guys. He has always made WAY more money than me so he has always had much better cars. He had a 2011 M3 and when it came time to trade that one in he test drove a new C6 Z06. He told me that the thing had really really impressive performance but the interior was horrible. He ended up with a 2013 M3.

Edit to add.... However I did read an article a while back about this upcoming new Corvette. The man in charge of the new car brough in one of the interior design leads from Audi to do the new Corvette so this one might have a chance.

ReaperAZ
01-14-13, 21:09
Meh, Corvettes were at their best from '63-'67 for me. While the C6 was far and away better looking then the C3-C5's I still love the look of the C2's above all the others. Just my $.02

Urabus23
01-15-13, 02:44
I'll be getting my new Stingray tomorrow...in Gran Turismo 5:D

I hope they show some pics of the new GTE C7 soon.

theblackknight
01-15-13, 11:36
Better at what?

Goes fast, stops fast, stays planted in corners.

I give 0 shits about interior. If I want a comfy car, a Lincoln is fine.

I'd prob get a Scuderia anyway.

rojocorsa
01-15-13, 12:12
Reminds me of the kind of work that Pininfarina does on Ferraris.

Mjolnir
01-16-13, 04:12

No. They are not.

But it's close enough in lap times.

Instead of more power, etc., GM should put a real interior inside the car and they'd have a winner.

duece71
01-16-13, 06:15
Man, I have always wanted a Corvette. For a long time, my only chance was going to be a CHEV-ette. Looks like my ship has come in! To whom do I write the check? Meh, The American Taxpayer?? Good looking Corvette, hopefully the cheap interior has been taken care of.

everyusernametaken
01-16-13, 10:05
No. They are not.

But it's close enough in lap times.

Instead of more power, etc., GM should put a real interior inside the car and they'd have a winner.

The C6 Z is faster on straights, while the 430 has an edge in braking and cornering, speaking in terms of factory configurations. I've raced with these cars in T1-type setups on road courses many times, and seen how it balances out. Given comparable drivers, they will be very close in lap times on a typical road course. On a really tight track with no long straights, the 430 will probably win. Bottom line, the C6 Z06 was a little over half the price of a 430, and even with a low-revving, large displacement OHV engine and primitive front suspension design, it is on par with a 430. Why is anyone surprised at the shoddy interior?

In GT1, ALMS or GrandAm venues, the C6R is significantly faster than the GT2 430s were.

Suwannee Tim
01-16-13, 15:34
........Of course, the only way I'll get one of those Stingrays is if I win the Powerball jackpot.........

I'm thinking even if I won the Powerball jackpot I wouldn't fit in a Corvette Stingray. I'm a beater guy. I've been driving beaters so long it has become part of my genes. Folks would look at me and thing "He doesn't belong in a Corvette Stingray. He must have won the Powerball jackpot." I might get one for my wife. Maybe she would let me drive it.:D

montanadave
01-16-13, 16:24
I'm thinking even if I won the Powerball jackpot I wouldn't fit in a Corvette Stingray. I'm a beater guy. I've been driving beaters so long it has become part of my genes. Folks would look at me and thing "He doesn't belong in a Corvette Stingray. He must have won the Powerball jackpot." I might get one for my wife. Maybe she would let me drive it.:D

Don't get your hopes up.

I sent my wife the same pic I posted here to her work email. She shot back with "his and hers?"

When I asked if she was buyin', she replied, "OK, just hers." ;)