PDA

View Full Version : KNS pins...CDI or Good stuff?

WS6
03-02-08, 02:16
Are KNS pins a solution in search of a problem? Or will they be a benefit to a properly assymbled and in-spec lower? Is there any chance the pins will walk if everything is installed correctly just without the KNS anti-roll pins? Or are these a viable addition to a SHTF rifle?

WS6
03-02-08, 02:45
Thought I would add, after researching. I will be dead honest and say that with A2 sights I doubt a slightly smoother trigger is worth $32 to me, and the only value these pins would serve is peace of mind for walking pins. Is walking pins going to be a problem in a factory-stock Sabre Defence A2, or should I leave well-enough alone unless I want the different trigger feel? I jus't don't want to have to worry about the pins walking out or whatnot at an inopportune time (ANY time).

Robb Jensen
03-02-08, 05:17
Are KNS pins a solution in search of a problem? Or will they be a benefit to a properly assymbled and in-spec lower? Is there any chance the pins will walk if everything is installed correctly just without the KNS anti-roll pins? Or are these a viable addition to a SHTF rifle?

The anti-roll pins weren't designed to be anti-walk pins, sure they do have that benefit. The primary benefit is in their name which isn't a secret, it's simply......anti-roll. Anti-roll prevents wear to the lower receiver. Steel pin...aluminum receiver who do you think wins? This doesn't really matter on a Title 1 receiver but it surely does on a Title II registered machinegun where the lower receiver alone is work between $10K-25K dollars depending on who made it and when. Gen2 KNS pins are also very good at keeping 9mms from having the hammer and trigger pin holes elongated or hammer pins broken.

The reason I use KNS pins:
If you want a smooth nice and consistent trigger pull then KNS pins are great.
If you're like me a run a nearly $300 trigger and still find it a tad inconsistent then KNS pins will probably fix it as it did for mine.

Standard pins will not walk if you haven't dicked with the hammer spring or have a bad hammer. There's a J-spring in the hammer which is what holds the hammer pin in. One of the legs of the hammer spring holds the trigger pin in place.

markm
03-02-08, 08:22
This has come up a lot lately... even on other sites.

I find them to be silly nonsense for 99 percent of shooters. Just look at some of the other junk that KNS makes.

I believe someone made a half way decent justification for them on some specific application where you have a precision rig with an aftermarket trigger, but it was still a bit of a stretch.

USMC03 and GotM4 are the only real shooters that I know who use them. But USMC03 never saw an aftermarket gizmo he didn't need! :p

It used to be that if someone posted a pic of their gun with those silly things in them, I could immediately dismiss them as booger eaters. But Rob and Jeff have screwed that stereotype up. :mad:

WS6
03-02-08, 12:50
Thanks, looks like I won't be needing them!

MX5
03-02-08, 15:08
I too use them to protect registered lowers & for consistent trigger pulls. I like that I can internally oil the pins so lubricant weeps from the holes into the bearing surfaces & there's no excess in the lower - especially when shooting suppressed, because there's so much gas & debris blown back into every area of an AR when fired with a can on it. I can feel the difference in the trigger pull. Is it absolutely necessary for most ARs? No it's not. But then, I really don't care what others think. There's no measurable wear on my registered lowers & I know many shooters that use them for the same reason - cheap insurance. Hard-use 9mm lowers really benefit from them due to the difference in cycling.

joe139
03-02-08, 19:46
I use them because I like a light trigger pull.And to get a light trigger pull you have to lighten up spring tension.And spring tension is what holds the trigger pin in.So I use them to keep my trigger pin from walking out.I don't think they are junk or are something you have to use but for some applications they work quit well.And make your gun a little more reliable.

SuicideHz
03-02-08, 19:51
I have a set only because I had walking issues on a Noveske lower and RRA 2-stage combo.

No problems now.

WS6
03-02-08, 21:21
I plan on leaving the single-stage mil-spec trigger alone, so I should be G2G without the pins, right?

Robb Jensen
03-02-08, 21:23
I plan on leaving the single-stage mil-spec trigger alone, so I should be G2G without the pins, right?

Yes, stock pins work fine for a un****** with trigger (i.e. stock unmodified).

WS6
03-02-08, 22:18
Cool, I will save the $32 then and worry about something else other than my pins walking out :D