PDA

View Full Version : Help with a build

Hedgelj
01-14-13, 20:24
I am looking to build/assemble/purchase a precision upper for an AR. Eventually when the supplies are available again I will also build a dedicated lower for it. I have been reading on here for quite a while prior to posting this and the information on this site helped me with my first AR purchase and I love it, so thank you in advance.

My interests for this include groundhog hunting, coyote hunting and paper punching out to 600+m and would appreciate the gun facilitating my growth as a precision shooter.

For the Barrel I am leaning towards either the White Oak SDM profile barrel or a BCM stainless barrel. Would you strongly recommend one over the other? As one of its purposes is going to be hunting I like the very lightweight profile of the White Oak barrel. Which BCM barrels should I look at for the best comparison to the White Oak barrels?

If I go with White Oak should I just have them build the entire upper or just get the barrel and the headspaced bolt? Same question about a BCM barrel.

For looks I am just thinking a basic lightweight handguard with enough of a rail to mount a bipod and a sling I would also want it to have space to eventually mount a light because hunting Coyotes at night is legal in my location.

Suggestions for the handguard?

Optics for right now I am leaning towards either a Leupold or Vortex or Nightforce but not sure if my personal needs require that much quality. I understand quality and prefer to buy/cry once but the 4-12x40 Mark AR leupold looks like a quality scope for my intended purpose. I'm not against better options and would love to hear the suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

The_Hammer_Man
01-15-13, 03:42
Well word up on both companies.. they BOTH good to go.

WOA makes great precision barrels. BCM sells great barrels. Can't say anything bad about either company.

I've handled and fired AR's built by both companies and it's a toss up. If you're a gunsmith like I am I'd get the barrel/bolt combo and build my own. If you don't feel confident enough to do that then have the boys at EITHER company build you one.

My personal favorite handguard for an SPR build is the Samson Evolution in either 12" or 15". Light and strong and you can put your rail sections pretty much wherever you like.

Hedgelj
01-18-13, 18:29
I ordered a WOA SPR upper and hopefully will have it in july.

Guess I have a lot of time to figure out optics, mounting, and bipods.

Hedgelj
09-04-13, 19:12
Upper showed up, it is pretty. :)

Where is s good place to look at mounts for optics? Definitely leaning to the vortex 2.5-10 or 4-16 pst any suggestions?

brought to you by tapatalk, allowing posting from unusual locations everyday.

ShootinRN
09-04-13, 19:50
Check out the optics section for advice and cruise the EE for mounts. I have picked up a Larue in the past for a good price.

I have the PST in 1-4 and 4-16. If I were to do it again I would've of gotten the 6-24 for the extra $50 and depending who you ask may have better glass. I have touched groundhogs at 400y with the 1-4 but they're pretty small and even at 16 power I find myself wanting more though in the heat of spring and summer the mirage does a good job of negating the higher powers across the hay fields and beans. If you're walking with the rifle quite a bit the heavier scope may mean something and a good sling helps with that.

Good luck with the rifle, I'm waiting on some parts for a service rifle build from White Oak and saw them at Perry this year, the wait is more torture than anything!

Hedgelj
09-04-13, 20:17
Check out the optics section for advice and cruise the EE for mounts. I have picked up a Larue in the past for a good price.

I have the PST in 1-4 and 4-16. If I were to do it again I would've of gotten the 6-24 for the extra $50 and depending who you ask may have better glass. I have touched groundhogs at 400y with the 1-4 but they're pretty small and even at 16 power I find myself wanting more though in the heat of spring and summer the mirage does a good job of negating the higher powers across the hay fields and beans. If you're walking with the rifle quite a bit the heavier scope may mean something and a good sling helps with that.

Good luck with the rifle, I'm waiting on some parts for a service rifle build from White Oak and saw them at Perry this year, the wait is more torture than anything!

My only concern about the 4-16 or even the 6-24 is that I am afraid the lower power will be too strong for Coyote hunting. It would be great for groundhogs, paper and other fairly stationary targets but afraid I won't be able to track fast enough with those in comparison to the 2.5-10.

I will start watching the EE, thanks for the tip.

Alaska3006
10-22-13, 18:14
Duplicate the mk12 mod 0

Suggest start with the barrel Douglas first $335

http://shop.wernerarms.com/Douglas-18-MK12-Barrel-512.htm

These Douglas barrels are specialy made to our specifications by Frank White.

SPECS:

Material: Premium Air Gauged Chrome Moly

Barrel extension: M4 feed ramps

Chamber: 5.56 match, optimized for use with MK262 (Black Hills 77gr equivalent)

Twist: 1 in 7 right hand

Contour: SPR Contour, for use with OPS inc. 12th Model supressor mount

Length: 18 in and threaded 1/2x28 for use with most common muzzle devices

Finish: Parkerized

Weight: 2 lbs 8.8 oz

Item #: 512