PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printer= Ar mag and Lower

J-Dub
01-15-13, 08:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKAaO26FAvA&list=UUvsye7V9psc-APX6wV1twLg

Wow, kinda cool.

Vash1023
01-15-13, 11:59
i wonder what kind of durability he got out of that thing?

the mag was feeding reliably for the duration of shooting, including full auto bursts.

but im sure most people would agree that a POLY lower is just not good enough... but one is better than none

and its completely legal. :)

Magic_Salad0892
01-15-13, 12:19
If there was some way to do it with stronger materials...

Not bad for a one time use throw away mag or something.

J-Dub
01-15-13, 12:21
Ya I think these would be more of a throw away type weapon. Maybe for a cache or something.

Its still pretty damn cool though.

Doc Safari
01-15-13, 12:41
Give it time. The technology is young. Ten years from now a 3D printer will be an assault weapon. :sarcastic:

kenndapp
01-15-13, 13:07
Delete........ Woah

Grizzly16
01-15-13, 13:29
It would be interesting if you could have it print around strips of metal or maybe some sort of metal mesh. Much like polymer handguns with metal pieces at key locations. That way you get extra strength with out having to mill a block of aluminum. Similar to how concrete with rebar is much easier to form than carving things out of solid rock.

TAZ
01-15-13, 13:53
The materials for these printers will get exponentially better in the years to come. Heck, I bet there are some decent materials out there already, just not cheap.

On a different note, how can the lower be legal?

rushca01
01-15-13, 14:07
The materials for these printers will get exponentially better in the years to come. Heck, I bet there are some decent materials out there already, just not cheap.

On a different note, how can the lower be legal?

Same way an 80% lower is legal?? Just assuming here..

Alaskapopo
01-15-13, 14:13
Correct me if I am wrong but your allowed to make a legal gun for your own use but it must stay in your possession and can not violate any other firearms laws.
Pat

TAZ
01-15-13, 14:27
Correct me if I am wrong but your allowed to make a legal gun for your own use but it must stay in your possession and can not violate any other firearms laws.
Pat

Did not know that. Does that apply to anything??? Like NFA items??

Alaskapopo
01-15-13, 14:31
Did not know that. Does that apply to anything??? Like NFA items??

The gun you create has to be legal under all local, state, and federal laws. So if an AR is illegal you could not make one.
Pat

Vash1023
01-15-13, 15:34
Correct. As long as you built it for yourself and not for resale its legal.

Local laws must be followed. So no suppressors or FA...