PDA

View Full Version : Geissele SSA vs SD-C vs SD-E

Skyyr
01-15-13, 13:49
I recently got around to putting a good amount of trigger time in on a 16" recce-type precision setup with an SSA trigger. I was definitely an improvement over a standard GI trigger, but it still didn't quite do it for me. My main complaint is the perceived "sponginess" in the second stage (which Bill Geissele refers to as "breaking like a carrot").

The SSA is perfect for a combat carbine, but I'd like something with a more tactile feel to it, especially in regards to the second stage.

I'm moving the SSA to another lower, so I'm looking for a replacement trigger for my precision setup. How does the SD-C compare to the SSA? Similarly, what about the SD-E? The SD-E looks about perfect, but I'm concerned that the trigger weight will be too low for dual-use of the carbine (such as running a carbine course).

I'd appreciate any input.

Ty_B
01-15-13, 14:16
I upgraded to the SSA-E (Which I believe is a curved SD-E) in my all-purpose gun in October and I love it. there's very light take up then a light and clean break. It might be too light for some, but it's just fine for me. Since then, I've practiced with it a bunch, but haven't taken a class with it. I'm comfortable with the weight.

If you do a lot of shooting with gloves, especially heavier gloves, it may be a little light.

There is definitely a feel to the beginning of the second stage. The first stage is basically nothing, then you feel the "wall" of the second stage.

taliv
01-15-13, 14:44
my SD-C is pretty carroty. about like my SSAs. I have an SD-E on order and i think it should be in the mail today, but it will be a 2 weeks before i install it

skeebinz
01-15-13, 14:58
In my experience, the SSA-E is almost identical in pull to the SD-E. I run them both in 16" recces. If you are looking for a different feel, try the SD3G trigger, it's a single stage but feels extremely clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MistWolf
01-15-13, 15:02
I have the SSA and the SSA-E. The SSA-E has a much crisper (and noticeably lighter) break than the SSA. I run the SSA-E in a precision AR and the SSA in a GP carbine.

Did you lube the trigger at the sears and pins and along the bottom of the hammer before installing? Lubing makes all the difference in the world to an AR trigger

Razorhunter
01-15-13, 15:17
Who here has compared a KAC SR15 2-stage to the Geisselle triggers? Wondering which Geisselle is most like the KAC?

Secondly, which Geisselle triggers are single stage and what is the pull weight? Does Geisselle make a single stage "combat" trigger for gloved use, so to speak?

skeebinz
01-15-13, 16:45
Sd3g is an amazing single stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taliv
01-15-13, 17:16
i've owned both the old and new KAC triggers in the SR15 e3 iws and pre- and post-ban SR25s, along with SSA x2, SSF, SD-C x2, SD3G x2 triggers (and many other brands)

my SR15 match trigger had a smooth 1st stage and a crisp 2nd. Not nearly as crisp as the geissele hi-speed or a jewell or similar "match" triggers, but much better than any of the hard-use type triggers. It stayed that way for several thousand rounds until a friend talked me out of the rifle. no complaints (other than wishing they would put a crisp single-stage fast-reset trigger in their carbines instead of a 2-stage NRA high-power trigger, but that's just personal preference)

taliv
01-15-13, 17:20
Sd3g is an amazing single stage.

we need a new designation for the SD3G. It is like the 1st stage of a 2stage trigger that doesn't have a 2nd stage. Or a 2-stage trigger with zero weight on the 2nd stage.

when i think of a single stage trigger, i think the gun should go off as soon as the trigger moves. with the SD3G, there is some 'take up' or whatever you want to call it, that is not 'creep' before the gun fires.

the only other trigger i've used like this, believe it or not, was in my barrett m95. of course, being a bolt gun, it didn't reset nearly as fast :)

M4Fundi
01-15-13, 19:03
This has been discussed ad nauseum

SEARCH and you will get all the answers you want

Alaskapopo
01-15-13, 20:15
I recently got around to putting a good amount of trigger time in on a 16" recce-type precision setup with an SSA trigger. I was definitely an improvement over a standard GI trigger, but it still didn't quite do it for me. My main complaint is the perceived "sponginess" in the second stage (which Bill Geissele refers to as "breaking like a carrot").

The SSA is perfect for a combat carbine, but I'd like something with a more tactile feel to it, especially in regards to the second stage.

I'm moving the SSA to another lower, so I'm looking for a replacement trigger for my precision setup. How does the SD-C compare to the SSA? Similarly, what about the SD-E? The SD-E looks about perfect, but I'm concerned that the trigger weight will be too low for dual-use of the carbine (such as running a carbine course).

I'd appreciate any input.

The SDE is great feels a bit lighter than the SSA but not too light. I started using this trigger because I was using the 3G (thee gun trigger) and it was very easy to bump fire. The SDE is working out great for me so far and its not too light for a dual purpose carbine in my opinion.
Pat

308sako
01-15-13, 21:42
And a HiSpeed match... love both but they are very different, and both are significantly lighter than the SSA.

SD-E rocks!

Sevcrist
01-15-13, 21:49

OldState
01-15-13, 21:54
I own the SD-E. It is a great trigger, but I was a bit surprised at how effective the flat trigger was at creating the perception that the break is less than 3.5lbs

I would prefer it was 4 to 4.5lbs and may contact them to see if there is a way to bump it up a notch (they are made 5 miles from my house)

That being said its the second best trigger I've ever felt on any gun. The best is the trigger on my full custom Bulleye 1911 which is not something I was able to do or install. ;) The SD E goes in pretty easy.

Alaskapopo
01-15-13, 22:42
I own the SD-E. It is a great trigger, but I was a bit surprised at how effective the flat trigger was at creating the perception that the break is less than 3.5lbs

I would prefer it was 4 to 4.5lbs and may contact them to see if there is a way to bump it up a notch (they are made 5 miles from my house)

That being said its the second best trigger I've ever felt on any gun. The best is the trigger on my full custom Bulleye 1911 which is not something I was able to do or install. ;) The SD E goes in pretty easy.

Why would you want to handicap yourself with a heavier trigger?

OldState
01-15-13, 23:12
Why would you want to handicap yourself with a heavier trigger?

I'm more concerned with a consistent pull weight between weapons.

Honestly I feel fine with the 3.5lb trigger. However, the 8lb stock Colt trigger caused me major issues when going to my pistols.

My warning is more aimed at the average shooter who is used to only bone stock triggers on tactical grade weapons.

I was introduced to shooting via competition shooting when I was young and am accustomed to lighter and crisper triggers. I do however realize that the average gun owner overwhelmingly isn't.