PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle flash tests

rsilvers
03-02-08, 14:32
I did a fresh set of flash tests today on a 14.5 inch barrel. The middle column is with M855 ammo. The right column is with XM193. I have found XM193 to be the highest flash ammo so I use it for R&D such as when I developed the BLACKOUT. I don't believe M855 has a requirement for flash retardant so some batches of it may not have it so we developed the BLACKOUT to work in worst-case scenarios (no flash retardant and with 10 inch barrels).

Note that the M4-2000 sound suppressor has less flash than the A2, but more flash than the BLACKOUT. This is just for the first shot. After that, the small emission of flash no longer occurs.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9545/march2008flashm4smalltn8.jpg

SHIVAN
03-02-08, 14:55
Thanks Robert!!! Been waiting to see some new photos.

BushmasterFanBoy
03-02-08, 14:58
Any tests on a phantom 5c1? :D

rsilvers
03-02-08, 15:05
Not this time as I have done that so much before I know what to expect and have moved beyond that. In my past tests it was a little worse than the Smith Vortex in most cases though still better than an A2. The one exception is that on a 10 inch barrel it sometimes lets go and flashes up brilliantly. When we did the AAC version of the YHM Phantom we worked with YHM and made about 30 alternative prototypes and tested them all and settled on one which was modified to prevent this but that version was only sold through AAC. One reason why we came up with the BLACKOUT is that when used inside a silencer during an endurance test, we have seen Phantom designs crack. Not only have we seen the AAC version crack during an extreme test, but the Surefire as well. The BLACKOUT has the least flash of any design I have ever tested, and was designed from the start to be as strong as possible. Sorry I did not have a BE Meyers to test this time. In past tests it would look like the Smith Vortex. In other words, excellent performance though not quite as good as the BLACKOUT.

markm
03-03-08, 13:43
Cool! I can never get big flashes like that when I'm goofing around at the range at night. I know the naked eye can't see all of the flash like the camera can, but damn it!! :p

Telperion
03-03-08, 21:11
Are you doing your tests in the kitchen? :eek:

rsilvers
03-03-08, 21:13
No, did them in a unoccupied house that is 1/2 done with the basement being finished.

skyugo
03-03-08, 22:05
No, did them in a unoccupied house that is 1/2 done with the basement being finished.

i bet that was loud. :eek:

SuicideHz
03-08-08, 15:10

Being finished so they can frame and drywall over the holes they are making.

rsilvers
03-08-08, 21:29
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3250/hidersut5.jpg