PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster Haters

Bushym45.56
01-15-13, 22:23
I've been wandering for awhile so I'm finally asking. Why are there so many Bushmaster haters on this forum? What is it based on? Just looking for legit info not people bashing it cause its not there brand. I haven't done any real torture test on mine but so far after close to 1000 rds its been flawless. Regardless of ammo type,brand of mags,winter or summer, clean or dirty. My shooting buddy has a Colt and I like it but its no more accurate or reliable than my Bushmaster.

bluejackets92fs
01-15-13, 22:27
I've been wandering for awhile so I'm finally asking. Why are there so many Bushmaster haters on this forum? What is it based on? Just looking for legit info not people bashing it cause its not there brand. I haven't done any real torture test on mine but so far after close to 1000 rds its been flawless. Regardless of ammo type,brand of mags,winter or summer, clean or dirty. My shooting buddy has a Colt and I like it but its no more accurate or reliable than my Bushmaster.

Shoot about 5,000 rounds and let us know if you still stick to this. Bushmaster ever since being bought by Freedom Group, hell even before, started cutting corners by building to a cost as opposed to a spec like Colt, DD, BCM, etc... do still to this day. My thing is if a Bushmaster that is not Mil-Spec cost $1,050 or so then why not spend $1,100 and get a Colt? They hold value better and have been known for years as being one of the best in the business. I just never understood this.

Col_Crocs
01-15-13, 22:33
You've been wondering a while? Have you thought to do any research on BM here? This thread is going to get closed soon so I suggest you do. You'll raise a host of issues with BM. From the basic, cutting corners to functional issues like tight chambers etc... Like bluejackets92fs says, why spend $1,050 on a rifle that isnt to spec when you can get one that is for only $50 more. Crap, no matter how cheap is way too expensive for me.

Sean W.
01-15-13, 22:37
On Vuurwapen's steel cased ammo test 2 of their 4 bushmasters had improperly torqued barrel nuts. Bad QC is one major issue with BM. Also claiming your rifle is just as reliable as a Colt without any proof or test doesn't mean anything on this forum.

Travis B
01-15-13, 22:38
Since you're new here its obvious you haven't read the stickies. Have a read and search a bit around here.

polymorpheous
01-15-13, 22:38
This thread will go over like a boner in sweatpants.

Spikele
01-15-13, 22:41
:dirol:

gun71530
01-15-13, 22:45
Piss poor quality control, manufacturing shortcuts such as not staking castle nuts, not using 1/7 twist barrels; Plenty of reason to hate Bushmaster for me.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Bushym45.56
01-15-13, 22:58
Shoot about 5,000 rounds and let us know if you still stick to this. Bushmaster ever since being bought by Freedom Group, hell even before, started cutting corners by building to a cost as opposed to a spec like Colt, DD, BCM, etc... do still to this day. My thing is if a Bushmaster that is not Mil-Spec cost $1,050 or so then why not spend $1,100 and get a Colt? They hold value better and have been known for years as being one of the best in the business. I just never understood this.

When were they bought by freedom group? I hope the market calms down and I can shoot 5,000 rounds in it.

Bushym45.56
01-15-13, 23:03
On Vuurwapen's steel cased ammo test 2 of their 4 bushmasters had improperly torqued barrel nuts. Bad QC is one major issue with BM. Also claiming your rifle is just as reliable as a Colt without any proof or test doesn't mean anything on this forum.

I said its just as reliable as my friends colt not all of them and also said I've never done a torture test. Not trying to stir the pot. Just looking for real reasons as to why its "just a range toy" or "not a serious AR". Maybe I just got lucky and got a good one. And it runs steel cased Wolf just fine so far.

Hmac
01-15-13, 23:19
This forum has a large population of professionals - military, ex-military, contractors, dealers, manufacturers, trainers....IOW people who carry these things daily or whose lives revolve around them. It's not about brand loyalty, it's about about what works and what doesn't. Most people who frequent this place would find any one of about a half-dozen brands completely acceptable for hard duty use based on their experience putting rifles through hard-duty use. That same experience tells them what rifles aren't up to the challenge, and Bushmaster is one of them

Your consumer-grade, price-point Bushmaster will serve you fine for your weekend plinking and the 500 rounds you shoot through it in a year. But there are a lot of people here who think nothing of putting 2000 rounds through their rifle in a weekend. Those people know that those consumer -grade range toys won't stand up to that kind of hard use because they've been there, they've fixed them, or they've seen them fail often enough that they're qualified to give an opinion that you just don't have enough knowledge or experience to even approximate.

Samson1
01-15-13, 23:24
There are a lot of stickies and posts and reviews and information on this. i think you haven't read through most of the info available. it took me 7 months of research to find my answer. ymmv.

F-Trooper05
01-15-13, 23:25
Overgassed gas ports, out of spec chambers, improperly staked gas keys, unstaked castle nuts, 1/9 barrel twists, out of spec front sight posts, improperly torqued barrel nuts, improperly torqued receiver extensions, improperly torqued flash hiders, etc. etc. etc...

interfan
01-15-13, 23:28
Good thread on Bushy quality here. Grant fixing them prior to selling. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13532

The whole "I heart my Bushmaster 'cause it is awesome" thing has been done many, many times. Unless your Bushmaster has grown tits, it just isn't that awesome.

Gutshot John
01-15-13, 23:29
I bought a BM once. It was my first AR, even before the ban had expired.

Took it to the range, click...bang...click...wtf?

Cycled the bolt, click...bang...click...wtf?

Took off the ridiculous HG to find that the ****ers hadn't even installed the gas tube.

Back to the factory, reinstalled gas tube. Sold a week later on gunbroker.

That's why I hate BM.

Bushym45.56
01-15-13, 23:34
This forum has a large population of professionals - military, ex-military, contractors, dealers, manufacturers, trainers....IOW people who carry these things daily or whose lives revolve around them. It's not about brand loyalty, it's about about what works and what doesn't.

Your consumer-grade, price-point Bushmaster will serve you fine for your weekend plinking and the 500 rounds you shoot through it in a year. But there are a lot of people here who think nothing of putting 2000 rounds through their rifle in a weekend. Those people know that those consumer -grade range toys won't stand up to that kind of hard use because they've been there, they've fixed them, or they've seen them fail often enough that they're qualified to give an opinion that you just don't have enough knowledge or experience to even approximate.

You don't know anything about me. I just wanted to hear some reasons why they are disliked as in personal experience or specific parts that have broken. Since mine has never failed and the ex military people,dealers and 2 swat team members I know that use them never have problems with them.How do you know how many rounds I shoot in a weekend or how long I've had the gun? I just wanted to hear about real problems with them. If you don't like them and whatever you use is the best thats great. Don't assume anything about me when you don't know shit about me.

Hmac
01-15-13, 23:37
You don't know anything about me. I just wanted to hear some reasons why they are disliked as in personal experience or specific parts that have broken. Since mine has never failed and the ex military people,dealers and 2 swat team members I know that use them never have problems with them.How do you know how many rounds I shoot in a weekend or how long I've had the gun? I just wanted to hear about real problems with them. If you don't like them and whatever you use is the best thats great. Don't assume anything about me when you don't know shit about me.

Sport...I've seen a hundred posts exactly like yours. I know everything about you.

I even know exactly how this thread is going to end...

Bushym45.56
01-15-13, 23:38
Good thread on Bushy quality here. Grant fixing them prior to selling. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13532

The whole "I heart my Bushmaster 'cause it is awesome" thing has been done many, many times. Unless your Bushmaster has grown tits, it just isn't that awesome.

Never said its awesome! Its just 100% reliable so far. It might fall apart tomorrow. Thanks for the thread. Thats what I was looking for. I'll check it out.

skywalkrNCSU
01-15-13, 23:44

Win

:p

Bushym45.56
01-15-13, 23:45
Sport...I've seen a hundred posts exactly like yours. I know everything about you.

What about my post offended you.I was just looking for some info. That's all! Sport....thats a good one!

Karcas
01-15-13, 23:47

How old are you...19..20? :suicide:

kVon
01-15-13, 23:47
I've been wondering for a while, so I'm finally asking. Why are there so many Bushmaster haters on this forum? What is it based on? I am looking for legit info, rather than people bashing it because it's not their brand. I haven't done any real torture test on mine, but so far, after close to 1000 rds, it has been flawless. Regardless of ammo type,brand of mags,winter or summer, clean or dirty. My shooting buddy has a Colt and I like it, but it's no more accurate or reliable than my Bushmaster.

Fixed it for you.

Your Bushmaster may be a sample of one. I had a Rock River that was flawless for the 4,000 rounds I had it. It didn't mean the materials and QC were on par with other brands. It also cost the same or more as the mil-spec brands. I wouldn't go back now that I have educated myself. Do some reading.

Zane1844
01-15-13, 23:48

My thoughts exactly.

bluejackets92fs
01-15-13, 23:55
When were they bought by freedom group? I hope the market calms down and I can shoot 5,000 rounds in it.

I want to say it was '06. Don't quote me on that though.

JC0352
01-15-13, 23:55
OP, you need to stop posting and read like other members have said...

Saying you're not stirring the pot, then getting all passive aggressive isn't going to answer your questions. Also, just because you know some shooters that have a BM doesn't qualify them as experts on the platform. Trust me; stick around, do some reading in here, and you'll get where everybody in here is coming from.

Bushym45.56
01-16-13, 00:05

I checked out the thread. Mine hasn't had any of these issues. I might get a armorer to go over it this weekend though. I mainly want to know if this gun is one I can depend on to protect me and my family. Thats why I started this post. Not to brag or offend.

bluejackets92fs
01-16-13, 00:13
I checked out the thread. Mine hasn't had any of these issues. I might get a armorer to go over it this weekend though. I mainly want to know if this gun is one I can depend on to protect me and my family. Thats why I started this post. Not to brag or offend.

At this point with what is going on, I would trust whatever I had in my possession.

Bushym45.56
01-16-13, 00:15
Fixed it for you.

Your Bushmaster may be a sample of one. I had a Rock River that was flawless for the 4,000 rounds I had it. It didn't mean the materials and QC were on par with other brands. It also cost the same or more as the mil-spec brands. I wouldn't go back now that I have educated myself. Do some reading.

I agree. My gun is not the quality of a Noveske,BCM or DD. If I was buying one today I would get one of these 3 I mentioned if only for peace of mind. The reading I've done hear is why I wanted to know about the issues with Bushmaster since mine has been reliable so far.

polymorpheous
01-16-13, 00:21
Hmac hit the nail on the ****ing head here folks.

OP, if you want a rifle you an depend on with your life, but you already bought the Bushmaster...
Well, there is a thread for that, and I suggest you read it and follow it's suggestions.
In fact, stop posting and read all of the tacked threads you can.
There are volumes of good, solid information here.

This thread contributes much noise and little knowledge is being absorbed.
It would probably serve the board best if it was closed.

Bushym45.56
01-16-13, 00:28
Hmac hit the nail on the ****ing head here folks.

OP, if you want a rifle you an depend on with your life, but you already bought the Bushmaster...
Well, there is a thread for that, and I suggest you read it and follow it's suggestions.
In fact, stop posting and read all of the tacked threads you can.
There are volumes of good, solid information here.

This thread contributes much noise and little knowledge is being absorbed.
It would probably serve the board best if it was closed.

OP...??

ether
01-16-13, 00:35
Bushmaster made its name during the last ban era (1994-2004). They made ok rifles during that time, and even some decent ones before the ban. They *were* a GI contractor for a very short time during Desert Storm, and maybe shortly after, MAYBE, if only to provide spare parts and support for the rifles they'd already sold or contracted to sell.

I was a fan at the time...they used decent steel for their barrels (chrome lined 4150), and they used decent parts, for the time. Meanwhile, Colt offered non-chrome-lined bores, fully shaved bolt carriers, and shot-filled plastic buffers, and NO OPTIONS.

At the time, Bushmaster was the ONLY game in town for civilian-manufactured chrome-lined barrels made from good steel and custom options. But they suffered from purple-tinted aluminum receivers, poorly timed and tightened (over and under-tightened) barrel nuts, and leaky gas blocks, several of which I experienced the hard way.

Then, they sold off to Cerberus Capital in 2006, which also acquired Remington and DPMS in 2007. I haven't bought a Bushmaster since 2006, and I am proud of that. Cerberus was the Smith and Wesson of our day, my friends...they stood for 2 things: 1) Jack, and 2) Squat...and they've both left town.

Degs
01-16-13, 00:38

For the win. Literally LOL

OP= original post(er)
LOL= laughed out loud

Read the stickies. They help. A lot. I read them all so I didn't make mistakes like this thread.

SWATcop556
01-16-13, 00:47
As was suggested read the stickies on the site and you will answer your own questions. BM has well documented problems. Most cops and military guys I know aren't spun up on what makes a good AR. They buy the one with the biggest ad with the guy wearing the most Blackhawk gear in the latest gun rag. I wouldn't use that as a 100% proof test of the rifle's bonafide's.

Guessing by your screen name you like your BM and there's nothing wrong with that but I would suggest researching and making some of the recommended fixes to the rifles for piece of mind.

And they were right on how this thread would end.