PDA

View Full Version : Gun Owners need to be more involved in defending 2A rights!

crusader377
01-15-13, 23:43
I wanted to start this thread to illustrate the apathy of many gun owners despite strong and serious challenges by gun control advocates to take our 2A rights.

First, I will bore you with some numbers. Although the number of gun owners in the United States is debatable and the number ranges between 60-100+ million people own a firearm with most estimates hovering around the 80 million range.

The NRA has somewhere around 4.3 million members and GOA (Gun Owners of America) has about 300,000 members. Including smaller groups, probably only about 5 million gun owners are actively contributing to defend their 2A rights. If we use the 80 million gun owner number, that means only about 6% of gun owners are involved in defending their 2A rights which is pathetic.

The NRA had a record recruitment month in which it signed on possibly as many as 250,000 members. Although this is a start, when you look at the total of 75 million gun owners not involved in 2A issues that means the NRA only signed up 1 in 300 uninvolved gun owners this last month which is .33% of the uninvolved gun owning population. I other terms it took 16-17 NRA members to influence one new perspective member. Probably the actually number is much higher because some new members probably joined on their own.

Although many M4C members are passionate about our 2A rights, I really think we need to reach out even more and influence more people to join the NRA or GOA and encourage other members to up their game and recruit.

The only way that we are going to defeat gun control supporters if we have more numbers and resources and gain the momentum in these upcoming fights. I think we all must do what we can to strengthen gun rights organizations. Lets see if we can use this forum as a tool to defend the 2A.

Your thoughts?

Belmont31R
01-16-13, 00:07
I think while it's good to do what we can the key to defeating these bans lies in the Supreme Court. When we have anti-gun legislators packing these state houses nothing we do is going to stop them. The only thing that will put a stomp on them is a Supreme Court case saying AWB's are a no go, mag bans are a no go, and CCW at least has to be shall issue.

I've read of bans going to the legislators in at least 2 other NE states just tonight, and both controlled by liberals.

When ObamaCare passed the public was against it in every credible poll, and they still passed it. SCOTUS said it was legal. Guess what? Even if gun control is opposed by a majority they will pass it. We better hope when the next big gun case comes up SCOTUS doesn't **** us like they did with ObamaCare. If they do then they are effectively writing the 2nd Amendment out of the Constitution.

Go read the dissents in Heller, McDonald, and the majority opinion in Heller II. At this point, with so many states having anti-gun laws or AWB's or mag bans the only hope of sweeping them all off the books is SCOTUS. NY is not going to suddenly change course, and start electing a mass of pro gun people who will actually strike these laws off the books.

Electing Republicans is not good enough, either. You need to MAKE SURE the people you are voting for are simply not Democrat-lites, and anti-gun anyways and go coddle with the communists every chance they get to be 'bipartisan'. Make sure you are paying attention to the primaries, don't be afraid to try to shoe horn a new guy into someones seat if the person holding that seat is selling out.

Writing letters and calling is probably the least effective method to keep certain laws off the books. It might help in situations where something comes down to 1 or 2 votes, and a guy is on the fence....but when you have an overwhelmigly anti-gun legislature you're wasting your time.

Kfgk14
01-16-13, 03:13
I've signed up my entire family at this point, cousins, aunts, uncles, nephews and nieces. There needs to be more and a bigger push for our cause to win this, and that starts at home.