PDA

View Full Version : DD's Factory Trigger

thehun
01-16-13, 08:56
So I stepped up to a big boy AR. Got a DDM4V1 LW.....love it...the quality/attention detail is above and beyond what my MP15 (it has never failed me)

The trigger also feels a lot better with a cleaner break....does DD make changes to the mil-spec trigger they put in...any one know? Because it sure does feel a little crisper and lighter

Bulletdog
01-16-13, 10:16
I don't have a complete gun from them, but I run several of their uppers and lower parts kits. The triggers in my LPKs are less than stellar. I just picked up a bunch of Geisseles to replace them with. Bob even gave me a couple of free hats. :D

Glad to hear you got a good one. I love DD, even if I am finicky about my triggers. I haven't liked a stock trigger from any mfg, by the way.

Travis B
01-16-13, 10:19
So I stepped up to a big boy AR. Got a DDM4V1 LW.....love it...the quality/attention detail is above and beyond what my MP15 (it has never failed me)

The trigger also feels a lot better with a cleaner break....does DD make changes to the mil-spec trigger they put in...any one know? Because it sure does feel a little crisper and lighter

Sure its smoother, lighter, cleaner than a m&p, psa, rra, etc. But its nothing special compared to other quality ARs.

halfkorean
01-16-13, 10:34
Sure its smoother, lighter, cleaner than a m&p, psa, rra, etc. But its nothing special compared to other quality ARs.

Yeah, I have a few DD rifles and a cople of BCMs and can't really distinguish between them. I would like to upgrade to Geissele triggers to see what all the hype is about.

HK

Typos and mistakes brought to you by my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Traveshamockery
01-16-13, 10:45
There's often a world of difference in AR triggers. My brother's PSA is abysmal, so he replaced it with an ALG ACT. My stock Noveske trigger is almost indistinguishable from the ALG, straight from the factory.

Skyyr
01-16-13, 12:01
There's often a world of difference in AR triggers. My brother's PSA is abysmal, so he replaced it with an ALG ACT. My stock Noveske trigger is almost indistinguishable from the ALG, straight from the factory.

Noveske uses Stag or similar LPK's, nothing special.

I use DD LPK's almost exclusively in my lowers and I always end up replacing the triggers with Geissele triggers.

uncreative1
01-16-13, 12:07
The stock trigger in my DD was terrible so I switched it to a Geissele SD-C and love it. The trigger in my BCM isn't bad so I haven't upgraded it.

Koshinn
01-16-13, 12:11

Sort of. Noveske uses ALG triggers now.

And Noveske and Stag use CMT to make their LPKs, but their tolerance acceptance rate is very different I'm sure.

3 AE
01-16-13, 12:23
It's the "New Gun Syndrome". Everything is cleaner, crisper, brighter, better. Like the smell of a new car! :D

thehun
01-16-13, 13:45
It's the "New Gun Syndrome". Everything is cleaner, crisper, brighter, better. Like the smell of a new car! :D

Could be :)

BMWguy206
01-16-13, 16:21
The stock trigger in my DD was terrible so I switched it to a Geissele SD-C and love it. The trigger in my BCM isn't bad so I haven't upgraded it.

I went through the same thing. At first the stock trigger feels ok, nothing special, but after numerous shooting classes it just feels a bit in the heavy side. I switched it to a SD-3G.

R0CKETMAN
01-16-13, 16:50
My colt trigger felt better than my dd.....pre Geissele

Traveshamockery
01-16-13, 17:01

I use DD LPK's almost exclusively in my lowers and I always end up replacing the triggers with Geissele triggers.

Yeah, just pointing out that your mileage may vary with USGI style AR triggers.

daveit
01-16-13, 18:15
Running two DD triggers. Brand new, I find them to be less than stellar with plenty of grit. I didn't buy them expecting otherwise, however.

lethal dose
01-16-13, 18:27
While the DD unit is good to go, I've yet to see any consistency in them... or any mil spec fcg, for that matter.

Quentin
01-16-13, 18:31
I have two DD LPKs and one trigger was very good. The other was just acceptable, no more. Same thing with two Stag kits, one good, one not very good. Other kits from ArmaLite, PSA, Bushamster and DTI have been hit or miss. The DTI was the worst of all but another sample might be ok. Anyway, it's pretty much luck of the draw with any milspec trigger.

SteveS
01-16-13, 20:24
Yeah, I have a few DD rifles and a cople of BCMs and can't really distinguish between them. I would like to upgrade to Geissele triggers to see what all the hype is about.

HK

It is not hype!!! They are as nice as people say they are.

halfkorean
01-16-13, 23:12
It is not hype!!! They are as nice as people say they are.

Great! Look forward to actually getting one eventually. Unfortunately since my triggers on DD are still nice and crisp, it is hard for me to justify getting one making it a low priority. Some day I will pull the trigger. :D

HK

Bulletdog
01-16-13, 23:31
My older LMT lowers had standard mil-spec triggers and they seemed to smooth out, or possibly "wear in", after a class or two. They are significantly better now than they were when new. This might happen for you too. Maybe shoot it for a while and see if you end up liking it. If you do decide to go with a Giessele at any point, you won't be disappointed.

StevieJ309
01-16-13, 23:51
Mine is surprisingly smooth and crisp. I'd still like to upgrade to an SSA, though.

aiko
01-17-13, 00:03
My DD is my third AR, the trigger is better (not a huge amount) than the other two rifles prior.

3 AE
01-17-13, 01:08
My DD is my third AR, the trigger is better (not a huge amount) than the other two rifles prior.

And what brands might that be? Your DD trigger is better because.... less creep, cleaner break, lighter trigger pull, shorter reset, etc?

Qwikrex
01-17-13, 10:48
My M&p15 stock trigger had a good amount of creep. My DD m4v5 has a little better feel, not by a huge amount. The best feeling standard trigger I've felt on any of the LPK's I've used was surprisingly an RRA kit I used on a Noveske N4 build. No creep, very clean break for a standard trigger group.

austing43801
01-17-13, 11:38
My Dd trigger is super crisp no take up and very little travel in it I couldn't be happier but I have an older ddm4v1

aiko
01-17-13, 12:05
And what brands might that be? Your DD trigger is better because.... less creep, cleaner break, lighter trigger pull, shorter reset, etc?

Shorter reset and just more "crisp". The other two were DPMS Oracle and SW Sport.

tpevan
01-17-13, 12:36
Shorter reset and just more "crisp". The other two were DPMS Oracle and SW Sport.

You've got two extremes there...that's like me comparing the trigger in my Colt LE6920 with the DPMS LPK triggers in my two parts guns (both of which are going away in the near future). It's a very noticeable difference and two different extremes. A better comparison is Colt to DD to BCM to Noveske, etc.

thehun
01-17-13, 21:50
Maybe they have changed some things in 2012...this trigger feels a lot better than my buddies from Spike's

SonOfAGunn
05-21-13, 21:04
I'm new to AR's and I just picked up a DD V5. I've shot handguns, mostly Glocks, and when I pull those triggers there is a distinct 1st stage. I'm assuming that the 1st stage is the light stage of pull before you get to where you feel distinct resistance, continue to pull and then feel the hammer strike. After racking the slide, I begin releasing the trigger and get the click of the trigger resetting, and then there is the light play till the the trigger is fully released. This doesn't seem to be the case with my DD V5.

The trigger on the V5 has no light 1st stage. Is this normal? Also when I reset the trigger and hear the click, that's it. It doesn't go any further forward. Is that par for the course with milspec triggers?

samuse
05-21-13, 21:17
You've got two extremes there...that's like me comparing the trigger in my Colt LE6920 with the DPMS LPK triggers in my two parts guns (both of which are going away in the near future). It's a very noticeable difference and two different extremes. A better comparison is Colt to DD to BCM to Noveske, etc.

They're all the same. As in they're all as inconsistent as the next. Doesn't matter if it's a DD or a DPMS.

I like stock triggers and have pulled Geissele SSAs out of my two lowers to go to ALG QMS triggers.

The two absolute worst stock triggers I've ever felt were in a 6920 and a Skinny MOE. The best stock trigger I have is in a Colt that came from the factory with no retaining spring in the hammer. It got swapped with parts bin hammer with the same casting marks and it just so happens that it produced a very short, crisp pull/break.

I like the QMS triggers because they're a good feeling stock trigger every time.

AKDoug
05-21-13, 23:02
I'm new to AR's and I just picked up a DD V5. I've shot handguns, mostly Glocks, and when I pull those triggers there is a distinct 1st stage. I'm assuming that the 1st stage is the light stage of pull before you get to where you feel distinct resistance, continue to pull and then feel the hammer strike. After racking the slide, I begin releasing the trigger and get the click of the trigger resetting, and then there is the light play till the the trigger is fully released. This doesn't seem to be the case with my DD V5.

The trigger on the V5 has no light 1st stage. Is this normal? Also when I reset the trigger and hear the click, that's it. It doesn't go any further forward. Is that par for the course with milspec triggers?
Yes, it's perfectly normal. The stock trigger in a DD is considered a single stage trigger. The trigger function of a Glock can loosely be described as a two stage trigger.

mrvco
05-21-13, 23:05
It seems my DD v7LW has a pretty nice trigger, crisp with a nice reset and no creep or grit, but not a light pull of course. I'm still eyeing an SD-C, but I'm in no rush.

Obscenejesster
05-21-13, 23:07
I agree with the post above. I put an ALG QMS trigger in my main rifle and I couldn't believe the difference. For $45 I wasn't expecting much however I was quite surprised. I let a friend shoot it the other day and he asked me what kind of trigger it was and that it felt really good. He couldn't believe I only paid $45 for it. He ordered two that day. I'll probably put an ALG in every rifle I build from here on out. A PSA parts kit minus the FCG cost $35. Adding a ALG QMS to that brings the total cost of the LPK to $80. Why would anyone want to spend the same amount of money on a LPK with the stock trigger when you can guarantee yourself a good trigger every time for the same price.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Tzed250
05-22-13, 05:01
I just started building my first AR this weekend. I had handled a DDM4v7 at the LGS a few times and was disappointed in the trigger. A bit of stacking and creep were easily noticed. I guess I expected more from a $1500 rifle. I assembled my lower with a WOA LPK and an ALG ACT trigger. For $65 this is a nice trigger. A clean break with with smooth action. I would imagine an SSA is even better, but I am trying to control cost somewhat. I'm happy with the ALG.

SonOfAGunn
05-22-13, 08:50
Yes, it's perfectly normal. The stock trigger in a DD is considered a single stage trigger. The trigger function of a Glock can loosely be described as a two stage trigger.

Thanks.

SCatalyst
05-22-13, 10:38
I actually love my DD set and want another. A lot better than LWRC's version of single action mil-spec.

Use this upside down and it will make ALL your trigger weights lighter.
http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p588/SCatalyst/Parts/forhands_zps33d2c73a.jpg (http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/SCatalyst/media/Parts/forhands_zps33d2c73a.jpg.html)

Creep or no creep, you'll just send it.