PDA

View Full Version : narrowed it down to 2 builders..

jayjaytuner
03-02-08, 15:49
Im gonna be having a rifle built
narrowed it down to 2 builders
ga precision & borden

they bolth can do what i want done, anyone reccomend one over the other?
thanks
jason

BRAAIJR
03-02-08, 18:52
KMW/Terry Cross he is well know in the Precision rifle world.

TexasAggies
03-02-08, 19:25
Terry Cross isn't excepting rifle orders at the time. He also will not be doing "customer spec'ed" rifles any longer either.

From the ones you asked George has always impressed me.

jayjaytuner
03-02-08, 19:27
Terry Cross isn't excepting rifle orders at the time. He also will not be doing "customer spec'ed" rifles any longer either.

From the ones you asked George has always impressed me.

aah, well theres a + for ga then.

TexasAggies
03-02-08, 19:54
Well all I have built is tactical rifles....

What are you building this for?

Have an idea of parts that you want, ect?

I could help you out more if I had an idea of the intended purpose.

jayjaytuner
03-02-08, 19:59
Im also interested in Chandler custom rifle from iron brigade armory
but they are a pretty penny!! but he gaurantees his rifles to shoot sub moa out the 1000 yards!!

jayjaytuner
03-02-08, 20:04
Well all I have built is tactical rifles....

What are you building this for?

Have an idea of parts that you want, ect?

I could help you out more if I had an idea of the intended purpose.

basically looking for a very very accurate gun for long range precision shooting for matches & so forth.

was gonna go with a surgeon action, badger ordnance bolt knob, mcmillan A5 stock with adjustable cheek piece with thumb screws. very very heavy barrel
.85 or more at muzzle either 24 or 26" krieger or hart, badger steel triigger guard, barger steel floor plate pillar bedded action etc

TexasAggies
03-02-08, 21:26
Anything built by Randy Cain, George Gardner, Terry Cross, ect will shoot MOA to 1k so I wouldn't worry about that.

You as a shooter on the other hand shooting MOA out to 1k is a different story. I'm probley at best a MOA shooter, sure I have .25 MOA groups however they aren't the norm.

Preston Pritchett builds a very good action.

Bolt's are all personal preference, I personally like Randy's, Terry's and Badgers....

McMillan builds my favorite stocks. If you go with the A5 get Terry C hardware, you will thank me later. You need to let McMillan know this as it cannot be installed after the fact. I'm personally planning a build with Terry Cross's new McMillan sentinel stock right now

McMillan's wait time can leave something to be desired at times so you may look into Thomas Manners.
http://mannersstocks.com/Tactical.html

Barrels I run between a 22" and a 24" depending on if your going to run a suppressor. As for brand it just depends on what the smith recommends and how long you want to wait...Krieger, Bartlein, Obermeyer, Rock
I have had all of those shoot better then I ^

If your running comps go Badger detach M5.....

Josh-L
03-03-08, 01:33
Why did you decide not to just have Surgeon do it?

All of these smiths are good to go also.... GAP, Patriot Arms Inc., Terry Cross/KMW, Randy Cain/RD Precision.

Cold Zero
03-03-08, 06:24
GA Precision. Outstanding work.

jayjaytuner
03-03-08, 08:25
Why did you decide not to just have Surgeon do it?

All of these smiths are good to go also.... GAP, Patriot Arms Inc., Terry Cross/KMW, Randy Cain/RD Precision.

well surgeon is not out the question yet either.......(i guess shouldve made a different title to the thread!!)

gotta make some phone calls today!

SHIVAN
03-03-08, 08:52
I don't know the other name you mentioned, but I'd never hesitate to get another GAP rifle.

You might even be able to save some time and buy one used off of Sniper's Hide.

Trim2L
03-03-08, 09:53
Preston is really making a name for himself and if I were buying one of his actions direct from him he would be my choice for the whole rifle. otherwise I'd look to GAP or Patriot Arms. KMW and R&D are not accepting work at this time, and IBA has a several year wait.

Dave L.
03-03-08, 13:47
George at GAP just built me a gun, I couldn't be happier.

jayjaytuner
03-05-08, 14:10
Well made up my mind, gonna have GAP build it.
6 months plus from now i'll post some pics etc.
(the mcmillans are running about 6 months now aparently)
thanks for all the input!
jason

RedMan*
03-05-08, 20:49

jayjaytuner
03-05-08, 22:01
You must be looking for a McMillan stock that George & Crew don't already have?

They usually have a decent supply of A5's in their shop.

There are usually a few floating around another site I'm on.

FWIW,
Stu

im not sure yet if they have any it was kinda just a guess, gotta wait about a week before i call & get it ordered anyhow waiting on some funds.....
i was gonna go with a grey and black marble A5 so its prob gonna have to be ordered. althoguh if they had a black in stock i wouldnt hesitate to go with it.
jason

RedMan*
03-05-08, 22:21
Mr. Jason,
if you have to have the marble then your definately in for the wait game.

FWIW here is a picture of my GAP/Surgeon .260 that George & Crew did for me.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/35185DSC01136.JPG

Later,
Stu

jayjaytuner
03-05-08, 22:48
Mr. Jason,
if you have to have the marble then your definately in for the wait game.

If not here is a link (mods, if I'm not suppose to do this please feel free to delet it) to a site that I'm a member of. The link is to a Black McMillan A5

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=495565&gonew=1#UNREAD

I do not know the seller in a way shape or form, just trying to help out.

FWIW here is a picture of my GAP/Surgeon .260 that George & Crew did for me.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/35185DSC01136.JPG

Later,
Stu

damn thats a very pretty gun ya got there!!!
thanks for the link......i do apreciate it, but im prob gonan have to have one ordered, gonna have a surgeon short action put in it (althoguh i think they have the same inlet as a remington 700 short action), & have it inletted for the KMW terry cross cheek piece mod.
barrel: im gonna go with a 26" bartlein 5R 1:11.25" heavy varmint contour #9
Badger ordnance bottom metal
badger or kmw oversized bolt knob

btw: what bolt knob is on your gun??
thanks

jason

RedMan*
03-05-08, 23:00
Mr. Jason,
bolt knob is Badger.

FWIW, the bolt design is slightly different from the Surgeon to Remmy.

Surgeon is a straight 90* off of the bolt.
Remmy has a slight sweep back.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSC01170.JPG

Above photo shows the 90* off of the bolt I was talking about. This was on an old rifle I sold lastyear.

If your going with the molded in color have Kelly inlet it for the Surgeon.

Later,
Stu

Josh-L
03-06-08, 20:34
You need to specify it's for a Surgeon action when you order it. The recoil lug is larger.

And holy crap is it going to be heavy if you get a 26 inch heavy varmint barrel. Why do you think you need one that long/heavy? My Surgeon rifle has an 18 inch Hart barrel on it and I can make it to 1k yards just fine. I'm also running a can though but even without that I'd stay at 18 or 20.

Oh and you will need to contact Redman above and get a rear bean bag!

And Stu I need to send you a stock pack soon to build up unless you have some in stock?

jayjaytuner
03-06-08, 21:06
You need to specify it's for a Surgeon action when you order it. The recoil lug is larger.

And holy crap is it going to be heavy if you get a 26 inch heavy varmint barrel. Why do you think you need one that long/heavy? My Surgeon rifle has an 18 inch Hart barrel on it and I can make it to 1k yards just fine. I'm also running a can though but even without that I'd stay at 18 or 20.

Oh and you will need to contact Redman above and get a rear bean bag!

And Stu I need to send you a stock pack soon to build up unless you have some in stock?

do u think its gonna be too front heavy & unbalanced ??
i just wanted the heaviest barrel i could put on it. maybe il go 24"

so whats these rear bean bags???

RedMan*
03-06-08, 21:28
Mr. Josh,
how ya been boss?
You get shop all up and running I see ?
I'll give ya landline over the weekend.......unless your # has changed recently.

Mr. Jason,
honestly if your running a .308 you really don't need anything longer than 24"
Now, if GAP is doing the build........specify that you want the deep fluting on the barrel.
This will also reduce the overall weight approx. 1 lb.

FWIW,
Stu

Josh-L
03-07-08, 02:32
do u think its gonna be too front heavy & unbalanced ??
i just wanted the heaviest barrel i could put on it. maybe il go 24"

so whats these rear bean bags???

Yeah it will be really heavy. I really don't see a point in going past 20, maybe 22 inches if you are shooting 155 grain bullets because you need to shoot those pretty fast. But other than that I see no point in it. You don't gain anything from a longer barrel in my opinion.

And bean bags are what Redman (check the website in his sig line above me) makes. Here is my old rifle with almost everything Redman makes.... rear bean bag with custom name tape that has my badge number, larger front bean bag aka tactical pillow, scope cover and custom fit cover for my suppressor and he modifies the stock pack to add height to it.
http://members.cox.net/josh-l/Redman3.JPG

Josh-L
03-07-08, 02:35
Mr. Josh,
how ya been boss?
You get shop all up and running I see ?
I'll give ya landline over the weekend.......unless your # has changed recently.

Yep business is picking up quite a bit which is good and bad because I got moved to midnight shift in January so that sucks. My number is still the same but I'll be asleep during the day!!!

ChandlerSniper158
03-07-08, 17:39
but they are a pretty penny!! but he gaurantees his rifles to shoot sub moa out the 1000 yards!!

And that they do.. :D

jayjaytuner
03-07-08, 17:59
And that they do.. :D

details/specs & pics??

Lawdog734
03-08-08, 10:54

Don't by into the hype of accuracy guarentees. Any of the popular makers will build you a 1/2MOA or less rifle that will perform at distance.

Now if you will be able to, is a different story entirely.....

Trim2L
03-08-08, 11:12

It's nice if he does but it's not mandatory. The difference in the foot print between a SA/LA Surgeon and a SA/LA 700 is the thickness of the lug, the bolt knob angle/depth, and the bolt release button. 10 minutes on a mill would have the stock to correct tolerance.