PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new .308.....Winchester, Remington, or Tikka

Guinnessman
01-16-13, 15:27
I am planning on purchasing a new .308 that will be used for Whitetail Deer in PA, and possibly some future hunts out west. The three brands that I am considering are Winchester, Remington, and Tikka.

The availability of aftermarket parts and accessories makes the Remington and Winchester rifles appealing. It seems like the availability of aftermarket parts is improving on the Tikka's.

My longest shot in PA would be around 300 yards where I hunt.

I have wanted a .308 for a long time and I am finally going to take the plunge soon. The Tikka Lite and new Winchester offerings look sweet. All of the Winchesters that I have owned have been great shooters.

Then again, my brother just bought a Remington 5R, and that gun is just sweet.

I am looking at a $1000 price range. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

JStor
01-16-13, 19:31
I'd search the gun auctions for a lightly used Winchester Model 70 short action Featherweight or Carbine version, simply to achieve the old style open trigger mechanism. If the trigger choice doesn't matter to you, then by all means go for one of the FN built Winchesters.

-one-
01-17-13, 00:07
Winchester Model 70

I was going to say the same thing. Either that or a Remi 700. I love my SPS. :D

snowdog650
01-17-13, 10:25
For a straight-up hunting rifle, I would go with the Tikka. The action is sweet, the rifle is light, and what aftermarket mods do you need to really make on a hunting rifle? From what I have seen, they are also quite consistant in terms of accuracy from rifle to rifle from the factory.

Your brother's 5R is sweet ... until you have to hump it around for three days in the bush.

FWIW ... my hunting rifle is a circa 1968 Remington 700 CDL I bought off of a distant cousin for $150 a few years back. Since that sale, he isn't so distant anymore. :)

Arctic33
01-17-13, 10:50
Depends on what kind of hunting you do in PA.

If you're that guy who can see your truck from your deer stand (LOTS of those here in southern PA), the only thing that matters is the brand. If you hike in, make sure it's a rifle you can carry comfortably.

You can't go wrong with the Rem 700 action. It comes in a few flavors, pick your candy. Stay away from the 770, however. They're nothing like a 700.

Tikka makes a fine rifle as well.

My brother uses a Browning. He's using the shorter "carbine" looking rifle, it's one sweet shooter and you can carry it all day. He's had it for years, and I believe it was about $1000 when he got it.

Other rifles to consider are Savage. They've come pretty far from being the "bargain" rifles they were years ago. Their new Accutrigger system is a workaround for lawsuits. They're set really light (mine came at about 2.5-3 pounds), but have that safety bar in the middle to stop them from getting sued. Takes a little getting accustomed to, but I have the Model 10 LE "Carbine" and it's a fine shooter. Little heavy, but it's become my stalking rifle for coyote and white tail due to it's short length. It's what I'm using this year for the coyote roundup, and with luck my brother and I will be taking the winner right out of the back field here. Granted, it's not a 700 action, and it never will be, but it does the job quite well.

Honestly, we can make recommendations all day, but at the $1000 price mark you can pick from a lot of fine rifles. The .308 is an inherently accurate round, and there is a lot to choose from that will be considered a quality rifle. The only question is what you like. Wood or composite furniture? Bull barrel or traditional? You want irons or not?

Norman
01-17-13, 11:40
You won’t go wrong with any of those choices. Tikka is very under rated and I would think hard before passing it by. Not sure what aftermarket parts you’re looking at, all I’d get is bases, rings and good glass.

dstocum
01-18-13, 08:13
I'd say buy either a Tikka T3 Lite or a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS. I own both rifles (well, the M70 is an Extreme Sporter which is just a non-stainless version of the Extreme Weather SS), and they're both extremely nice guns. My M70 is my sheep gun, in 270 WSM, and my T3 Lite is more of a utility/hunting rifle in 308 that will ultimately become a heavily modified utility rifle for general purpose woods carry.

For hunting, I like actions with safeties that will lock the bolt. The T3 and Model 70 both allow that; the Remington 700 doesn't. I like the controlled round feed the M70 offers, but the detachable box mag and mostly enclosed action of the T3 offer pretty much the same security of feeding in awkward conditions. The two rifle models I mentioned both come with stocks that you really won't ever have to upgrade, they're both very precise guns, both have very smooth actions... I'm not sure which I like more, really.

If you're interested in an oversize bolt knob for use with gloves or whatever, the T3 bolt knob takes all of 60 seconds to replace with only a 1/8" rod for a tool. That's a very nice feature in my opinion, because I'm all about doing my own work whenever I can and not sending critical components off through the postal system or waiting weeks for a local smith to fit me in.

The only thing I am not wild about with the T3 (besides the stupid stock ring setup that I'll never use) is the fact that the box mags cost so freaking much. $70 for a plastic 3 round mag, yeah... since you can't even really single feed the gun without the mag (it's not impossible just extremely inconvenient), you will want a spare to keep around in case you lose the original mag.

I've read a lot of complaints about the aluminum block (whatever the technical name is for it) in the T3 stock, because apparently it gets deformed over time. However, the complaints usually go along the lines of "My rifle is still shooting 1/2 MOA but the stock sucks because the aluminum block is getting indented!" :rolleyes: Well, I haven't had my T3 long enough to know if it's a problem, but I'm not going to replace a major component of a rifle that's shooting well under 1 MOA as long as it keeps performing. The block can turn to powder for all I care as long as the rifle keeps shooting well. Yeah, the stock seems kinda cheap. I don't think it is, in actuality. It is very light and stiff, and it would take a lot of pressure to get the forend to contact the barrel. That's a lot more than most <$650 rifles can boast.

I have no complaints whatsoever about my Model 70, and it's exactly what I want in a sheep gun. I haven't changed anything on it and don't plan to. It shoots a shade under MOA with my handloads, which balance velocity with precision.

SpyderMan2k4
01-18-13, 10:36
I hunted with a 700 adl for years before i sold it to fund an optic. Last month i picked up a tikka t3 lite ss in 308. The action is out of this world smooth. The trigger is one of the best factory triggers ive felt... insanely crisp, set at 3lbs from the factory, user adjustable from 2-4 (if im remembering correctly). Between that and the accuracy (guarantee of 1moa with good ammo) made it a clear choice for a hunting rifle. For a tactical rifle id lean toward the 700 because of stock and trigger choices, but for an out of the box, good to go hunting rifle, the tikka has a lot going for it.

Edit to say: any of the picks are great. Give each a fair look and choose!

Guinnessman
01-30-13, 08:00
Yesterday I ordered the Tikka Lite .308. Now I just need to order a Scope, Rings, and Bases! Once I get it to the range I will report back. Thanks for all of the info.

SpyderMan2k4
01-30-13, 08:16
Yesterday I ordered the Tikka Lite .308. Now I just need to order a Scope, Rings, and Bases! Once I get it to the range I will report back. Thanks for all of the info.

Nice! I look forward to seein the range report

apache64
02-01-13, 18:33
I am a PA hunter, too. I have a Rem LTR 308, Tika T3 stainless 308 and Win Featherweight (.280). As far as a walking rifle, I like the Win or Tika over the LTR. LTR is my stand 1st rifle due to balance with the oversized for deer 2-12 scope on it. I have also been admiring the Win Stainless .308 the others mentioned.

All 3 are very accurate. One issue I have with the T3 is that the factory scope rings are garbage. They are difficult to keep snug even with blue loc-tite. Recently got an EGW base and am in the process of getting a 2-7 scope and better rings. A fellow at the range suggested the stainless receiver and aluminum factory rings were not good. First group will be tight and on target. Second group with warm barrel with shift impact and increase in size.

Let me know if you have any similar issues.

snowdog650
02-01-13, 20:39
I am a PA hunter, too. I have a Rem LTR 308, Tika T3 stainless 308 and Win Featherweight (.280). As far as a walking rifle, I like the Win or Tika over the LTR. LTR is my stand 1st rifle due to balance with the oversized for deer 2-12 scope on it. I have also been admiring the Win Stainless .308 the others mentioned.

All 3 are very accurate. One issue I have with the T3 is that the factory scope rings are garbage. They are difficult to keep snug even with blue loc-tite. Recently got an EGW base and am in the process of getting a 2-7 scope and better rings. A fellow at the range suggested the stainless receiver and aluminum factory rings were not good. First group will be tight and on target. Second group with warm barrel with shift impact and increase in size.

Let me know if you have any similar issues.

This is a good point. Ditch the rings. A buddy of mine was zeroing his new 30-06 T3 and one of the rings actually TORE at the base.

They suck. The rest of the rifle is great.

Atlshaun
02-07-13, 19:25
Cant go wrong with the remington. Jmo.

twistedcomrade
02-11-13, 07:00
I love my Tikka in 308. Great rifle but as someone else said, spare mags are ridiculously expensive.

GeorgiaBoy
02-13-13, 18:49
Remington, though a Winchester M70 would be nice.

Tuukka
02-19-13, 05:31

Excellent decision.

Tikka rifles are in my opinion the best ones available, price vs. value wise.

We have several Tikka rifles in our test weapons selection and they are a solid performer right out of the box.

Guinnessman
03-22-13, 11:39
Alright, due to the current lack of .308 ammo, I had to make a change of plans. Next week I will have a brand new Remington 700 SPS in 30.06.

What do you guys suggest as a good replacement stock that will not break the bank? Thanks.

Jeepman1320
03-23-13, 10:49
I use HS Precision, but have been eyeing a Stocky's laminated with aluminum bedding block lately (cosmetic reasons). A lot of people swear by Bell and Carlson as well. They can all be had for $250-$450 if you look around... Next step up puts you in the $800 range.

Guinnessman
03-23-13, 16:49
I am leaning toward the HS or Bell and Carlson. My brother has had good experiences with both brands of stocks.

RyanB
03-23-13, 17:38
I'd buy a Winchester or a Tikka before a Remington any day of the week.

Lost River
03-23-13, 18:19
As would I, and I am a Remington armorer. Actually that is precisely the reason I would.

The consistent precision of the Tikka rifles is stellar. Ask Remington if they will guarantee their sporting rifles for 3 shots 1 moa @ 100 yards. Tikka does and the ones I own all do substantially better with handloads.

This is 3 shots with my 20" .308 T3 Lite stainless .308, shooting over a makeshift rest. This is my "hunting" load.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/T3Lite308.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/002-3.jpg

GingerPatches
03-24-13, 00:48
As would I, and I am a Remington armorer. Actually that is precisely the reason I would.

The consistent precision of the Tikka rifles is stellar. Ask Remington if they will guarantee their sporting rifles for 3 shots 1 moa @ 100 yards. Tikka does and the ones I own all do substantially better with handloads.

This is 3 shots with my 20" .308 T3 Lite stainless .308, shooting over a makeshift rest. This is my "hunting" load.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/T3Lite308.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/002-3.jpg

Lost,

Is that an NXS 1-4 on your Tikka? I've been thinking about literally that exact setup.

Lost River
03-24-13, 10:32
Ginger,

You are close. I am running a 2.5-10x24 with the NP R2 reticle. Great optic for the region I hunt. I twist turrets, so this optic works well for me in that regard. Making first round hits on my 1/2 size MGM manufacturing IPSC plates out to 600 has not been a challenge at all.

I really need to stretch it out further, but just haven't yet.

LR

GingerPatches
03-24-13, 14:05
Ginger,

You are close. I am running a 2.5-10x24 with the NP R2 reticle. Great optic for the region I hunt. I twist turrets, so this optic works well for me in that regard. Making first round hits on my 1/2 size MGM manufacturing IPSC plates out to 600 has not been a challenge at all.

I really need to stretch it out further, but just haven't yet.

LR

Roger that, I thought it looked a bit large for the 1-4.

I'm on the east coast, so a 600 yard shot is extremely improbable, hence my interest in lower magnification bolt guns.

BTW, you are the man when it comes to jack rabbits. I've seen the stuff you take with wheel guns and rifles...much respect!

Norman
03-25-13, 08:41
Lost River, What rings and mounts are you using?

Lost River
03-25-13, 09:02
Ginger,

Thanks for the Kudos. I have found the big desert jacks to be great practice for keeping handgunning and rifle skills sharp.

The last time I was up at my little cabin I hammered a few with my Les Baer:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Baer8jackssept20122.jpg

:) :)

Lost River
03-25-13, 09:09
Norman,

I am running Talley lightweight mounts. They are a base and ring in one. I have numerous examples on rifles and find them to be an excellent product. Lightweight, uniformly cut. Most guys I know who build "mountain rifles" and other lightweight rifles prefer Talleys .

Norman
03-25-13, 09:52
Thanks. That's a nice rifle.

airman
03-26-13, 01:14
I have a tika t3 lite in 243 which has been a very durable and accurate rifle and has killed many deer. I also have wanted a 308 winchester for several years but could never find what I was looking for until recently. I just purchased a thompson center venture predator combo with a decent scope on it in 308. Entire rifle is advantage max-1 camo including the scope and barrel. Barrel is a fluted 1 in 10 inch twist with 5r rifling and comes with 1moa gaurantee. Rifle has an externally adjustable trigger and rifle has really impressed me. Just getting used to the gun and am getting 2 inch groups at 200 yards from a rest with factory and handloads. Rifle combo msrp is 629 dollars and cant be beat in my opinion. Just something to think about. Good luck whichever choice you make. FWIW I really like the 308 winchester, wish I had gotten one alot sooner.

azeriosu85
04-22-13, 18:52
Tikka all day, followed by an older Winchester....not a Remmy fan after all the changes to the trigger and recent QC

SpyderMan2k4
04-22-13, 19:21
I bought mine in December, and finally got a scope for it (leupold vx3 3.5-10 CDS)... waiting on my mount (ordered yesterday) and should start working on some handloads pretty soon. I'm incredibly excited about this rifle.