PDA

View Full Version : manners mini chasis

jstone
01-16-13, 15:34
A few months ago i started a thread about a rifle, and caliber to get for hunting/shooting long range. I wanted something 7mm. Overwhelmingly the answer was for 308 then move up.

I decided to take the advice of the more experienced. I put money down on an obr until i found out orders from may had not shipped yet. I decided to go with a Remington 5r milspec.

Im planning on having it cut from 24 to 20, and adding a trigger that has a lighter pull weight. I know the 40x it has is adjustable. It was not bad, but my geiselle feels much better so i would like to replace it. Nothing more to the action or barrel until Im able to shoot it to its ability. Then i Will have the action blue printed, and get a 5r barrel from kreiger or another top manufacturer.

Im looking to place it in a chasis. My first choice is a manners t1 with there mini chasis setup. I would prefer to have more traditional stock then the other chasis. I like the Idea of the manners, because i can drop it in. No other work required that i can not do myself. Does anyone have any experience with the manners mini chasis?

The stock the 5r comes with has aluminum blocks similar to the manners minus the ability to take mags. Would I be better off with the standard stock? Would there be any benefits of the manners other than the magazines? I would assume the manners is higher quality. I think the factory stock is H&S precision stocks. Do all the stocks with the aluminium bedding blocks offer roughly equal accuracy? Or are they the same as other products some are of a higher quality? The stock with mini chasis, flush cups, and the few other options i want is roughly a grand as long as the new barrel was a similar profile i could use the stock when it is re-worked in the future.

I old just like to get some opinions from people who's threads, and posts i read regularly. I have read some information i got off of Google. There was just not much info on manners. I could find all kids of info on xlr, mcrees, and aics.

Thanks for the help. All the info i have got from this section has been extremely helpful, and has probably saves me some change.

orkan
01-16-13, 15:38
Manners mini chassis is good to go.

Used them many times, and haven't been disappointed yet. Actually, I've seen much higher quality from manners than I ever saw from AICS chassis. Just so you know, badger makes the mini chassis for them, and I know the guy that designed it personally. :)

The_Count
01-16-13, 15:49
The Manners Mini-chassis has a v-block that precludes the need to bed the action.

You are correct on the factory stock it is HS Precision. Sell it here and collect the $200 its worth rather quickly. It will suit you well if you want to wait a bit.

While the barrel is being cut and re-crowned you may want to consider threading it.

All aluminum bedding blocks are not created equal. If it shoots well then fantastic, if not you can skim bed it to squeeze that last bit of accuracy out.

What glass are you going with?

TC

orkan
01-16-13, 15:54
I'll take the factory stock off your hands for $200 if you like. I've got a couple customer builds right now that I could use it for.

jstone
01-16-13, 16:02
Then i Will go with the manners.

I was thinking about threading but here in California i can just add a flash hider or muzzle break. So i might do that, but more than likely will not. I plan on moving soon so when i have a new barrel put on ot Will definitely be threaded.

Orkan if the shop gets it on time which they always have for with the ten day wait i will have it middle of February. If the time is within your schedule it is yours.

orkan
01-16-13, 16:10
Check with me when it's ready. I may or may not have sourced other stocks by then. :) Thanks.

Pappabear
01-16-13, 17:37
I would see if your 5R barrel shoots. If its a shooter, keep it. If its not replace it. It might be a half inch gun as is.

Either bed your HS Stock, or get the manners. The trigger sucks, get a Timney. No reason to cut the barrel IMO.

Get some nice glass when you can.

jstone
01-16-13, 21:46
I might live with the barrel it did not seem bad at 24. I will definitely put it in the manners with the mini chasis, because i want to be able to use aics mags.

It will be shot for a while with the stock barrel for a while. I would like to get at least a year out of it. If a 175 matchking loaded at 2.800-2.810 has more than .020 jump ill look into replacing unless it shoots well with the jump. I will use the 175 matchking for paper, and the 150/165 accubond/partition for hunting.

After the rifle is complete i plan on finding a class where i can learn the fundamentals of shooting at distance to try to avoid teaching myself bad habits. I also plan on working to get at least a place where i can shoot 500 yards at home
i have out to 200 yards now.

As for glass I want to get something mil/mil. I have always used moa, and would like to make the switch. I have been thinking about one of the bushnell elite tacticals, or possibly the 3-18 mark6. Those are what i have been thinking there is a large price difference, but Im not sure i can swing nightforce with the magnification i want in the low 2k range.

If I am just learning to use mil instead of moa would it be better to just go with the standard mil-dot reticle rather than horus? Standard mil-dot reticle seems to be a couple hundred cheaper than the reticles similar to horus.

What is the consensus on the mark 4 lr/t optics? I would like high end to be no lower than 16 power, but no higher than 24 power. 2500 is about the max i can spend on glass. This rifle Will evolve so i would like if it does not outgrow the glass. As skill allows it will have better barrel along with action work.

Pappabear
01-16-13, 21:57
Sounds like your well on your way. Nightforce is the "first tier - of the top tier " if you will. You can get a mil mil 3.5-15x50 F1 for $2300. That my pick every time for 308.

The Big O likes US OPTICS. I've been itching to get one. Should be close at $2,500 depending on your model.

Night force or US OPTICS would be a very strong addition to your weapon.

You can spend $$$$ but I just don't feel like you get another $1,000 worth of scope in most cases. Which you can pay close to $4,000.

Good luck

taliv
01-16-13, 22:21
i wouldn't buy any scopes until after things settle down from shot and we see all the announcements.

but before you buy the NF, check out the 4-30x HDMR which i think is under $2k with the G2 reticle.

i'd pass on mil-dots. hate them. hashes or bust.

jstone
01-16-13, 23:30
I did not even think about shot, and what it might bring in the way of optics. Do the bushnell elite tacticals have glass that is comparable to nightforce?

I'll have look into nightforce again. I wish i could drop 4 grand. I saw some really nice smcidt and bender/premier reticle optics i would love to have.

I will look into hash marks instead of dots. One scope i just noticed is the swfa super sniper hd 5-20 mil/mil ffp illuminated, and non illum. From the reviews i have just read it is highly regarded. the price iw great as well. I could use the extra cash on another couple kegs of powder, bullets, and at least another 10k of large rifle primers. Large rifle is a weak spot. I load a minimal amount of 30-06 so i only keep 3-4k on hand.

Pappabear
01-17-13, 07:43
I had two of the Bushnell HDMR newest tactical s. glass was great.
My only issue was no high speed, no zero stop and turrets were mushy. Still, a very nice optic, just not a Night force.

orkan
01-17-13, 08:45
The Big O likes US OPTICS. I've been itching to get one. Should be close at $2,500 depending on your model. Time out from the game.

I like SOME U.S. Optics stuff... while I detest others. That 1-8 we were talking about is the cat's pajamas.

Listen to Taliv. Lots of new stuff in the wind. Once it settles, we'll have some good competitive prices on good new gear.

The_Count
01-17-13, 09:17
Liberty Optics has a smoking deal on the HDMR 3.5-21. I have that optic. It is useless below 5x but over all its a great scope at the $1100-1200 price point. Look for a glut of those on the market after shot show. Bushnell is introducing several new items. Folks will be scrambling to get those and selling off gear in the process. With a high supply prices should be pretty damned reasonable. Another optic in that range that is consistently lauded is the Vortex PST. After comparing the HDMR and PST side by side I chose the G2DMR . The PST have some fantastic features, but in my same the glass and reticle on the HDMR won my over

TC

orkan
01-17-13, 09:30
The HDMR seems to have a more forgiving eyebox than the PST. That's noteworthy.

jstone
01-17-13, 20:55
I definitely will not be going with the pst line for this rifle. I may get one of the 1-4 with the mil reticle to replace my burris lrs 1-4.

I was looking at the 4-16 pst for my spr, and i was not that impressed. It was priced right about a grand, and another scope i was looking at in the 400 range was much more clear. I took them both outside to get some light, and the pst was still not as clear. Im not sure if i got a hold of a bad pst, and a great fullfield e1.

Im still looking for something for the spr. It has an old 3-9 on there for now. A shop in town got a nightforce 2.5-10 in. I might go that way, but i have a lot of outgoing cash and less income at the moment.

orkan
01-17-13, 21:55
I was looking at the 4-16 pst for my spr, and i was not that impressed. It was priced right about a grand, and another scope i was looking at in the 400 range was much more clear. Do yourself a favor and forget about being a glass connoisseur. If you can identify the target, then the glass has done its job. After that, there are a SHIT LOAD of other features that make the $400 wonder optic you are talking about take a back seat to a PST.

jstone
01-18-13, 00:51
A lot of things on the pst were much better. Like the turrets. On the cheapie you could not feel or hear the click. The part of the turret that has the hash marks to represent one click spun freely. The focus ring on the occular had a soft rubber piece that came off when i adjusted the focus. So it was far from a wonder optic.

Im definitely not a glass connoisseur. I was just surprised the pst was not that clear. I have bad vision and clarity really helps me. I would rather have a little less magnification for a little more clarity.

The wonder scope was a burris fullfield e1. I was surprised that the fullfield had such clear glass for the quick time i had with it. My 1-4 burris has pretty clear glass, but i was kind of blown away how clear the e1 was.

The_Count
01-18-13, 07:25
Have you seen the new Bushnell ERS 6-24x 50mm? It is also in the Elite Tactical Line. High quality glass, illuminated, and is available with the G2 Reticle.

TC

jstone
01-18-13, 15:21
I have looked at all the bushnell elite tacticals, and Im definitely going to go with either the 6-24.or the new 4-30. Its a toss up between the two. I would like to see them both before i buy, but that will never happen in my town. The price of the elite tacticals Will leave me money for the nightforce 2.5-10 for my spr.

Im more than likely going to go with the 4-30 for the zero stop.