PDA

View Full Version : "Universal" checks & interstate handgun buying

Amicus
01-16-13, 16:27
Would you support "universal" checks if the feds dropped the interstate handgun purchase restriction?

gan1hck
01-16-13, 16:38
Nothing wrong with checks to keep the guns out of the wrong hands...right?

Amicus
01-16-13, 16:42
Nothing wrong with checks to keep the guns out of the wrong hands...right?

I wonder, in the true spirit of negotiation and compromise, if that is a reasonable exchange. If background checks are "universal," then the interstate transfer of handguns should be allowed. Please note that I voted "No," but I am interested in the views of the other members.

Business_Casual
01-16-13, 17:09
If there is "nothing wrong with it" then why has gun-related violence skyrocketed after 1968 when gun sales had very little government control at all?

I say no compromise on anything ever again, and if you are a politician who thinks they can be "a little bit pregnant" on guns then think again.

bc

Mauser KAR98K
01-16-13, 17:13
Only if:

1. No national registration with every gun purchased privately or from the dealer.

2.Hold 4473s for two years for law enforcement purposes to trace a weapon after the commission of a crime, and to keep the seller liability free.

2.Issue a receipt to the private seller upon completion of the background check that the seller can hold onto for liability purposes.

3.A permanent ban on the government to create a national gun registry. A registration will violent key provisions in the Bill of Rights. The U.s. Federal Government needs a backstop to remind them they cannot do this.

4. Make it that out of state face-to-face private sells are not classified as gun trafficking if a background check is done. The seller or buyer must be resident of one of the states that the transaction is being done in. I.E. A seller from Florida is selling a gun to a gun in Georgia. They can only sell it in one of the two states, not in Nevada. *This is a compromise from that I believe a sale can be done anywhere as long as the background check is done.

5. Allow both private parties to approach a FFL dealer for a background check without the dealer recording the firearm in their logs. This prevents a defacto registration if the FFL dealer closes shop.

6. FFLs cannot place an unreasonable price for a back ground check for private sells. This would not encourage the intent of the idea. (They will be getting walk in business anyways with what this idea will produce--win for the LGS).

7. No background checks on ammunition. This will hamper training for law abiding and law enforcement officers as it becomes much harder to gain ammunition. Plus, it is also a violation of the 4th Amendment of Search and Seizure clause.

Course, we need to clean up the ATF first.

GeorgiaBoy
01-16-13, 17:17
Yes, if a new NCIS system set up were individuals can call in with info of potential buyer.

Only SALES have to be called into for a NCIS check. If you are giving a gun as a gift to family members or friends, you don't have to do a background check.

PA PATRIOT
01-16-13, 19:38
NCIS check for every sale both licensed and private which includes gifts and estates.

Licensed FFL's are the only ones able to do transfers and can only charge NCIS state fee and no more for four or less guns on a single form.

So here in PA I would be able to buy or transfer four guns on a single 4473 at the current state fee of $5.00

Spiffums
01-16-13, 21:41
Just wait till it dawns on them that they can collect sales tax on these private sales just like they do for cars now when you register the title.

crusader377
01-16-13, 22:49
I voted no but I would actually welcome better tools for individual sellers to screen prospective buyers if these tools were provided by an honest government.

I reason why I voted no is simply I don't trust this administration about anything they probably would use the universal checks for some back door registration or some sort of future gun owner harassment.

shootist~
01-16-13, 23:00
It's none of the federal government's business what I sell to someone I personally know or gift to a son/daughter - this applies to a lot more than guns. Should I be held liable if I knowingly sell to a scumbag? Of course.

I'm on the fence on non dealer gun show sales to persons completely unknown. Just not sure on how it could be implemented.

Alaskapopo
01-16-13, 23:14
It's none of the federal government's business what I sell to someone I personally know or gift to a son/daughter - this applies to a lot more than guns. Should I be held liable if I knowingly sell to a scumbag? Of course.

I'm on the fence on non dealer gun show sales to persons completely unknown. Just not sure on how it could be implemented.

You could write the law so you can sell to your immediate family or gift to them but no one else unless of course they are a felon but you would know that.
Pat