PDA

View Full Version : Red Dot.... Cheap VS Expensive

sigmeister229
03-02-08, 17:20
I just purchased a Tasco PowerPoint and also a Bushnell MP both for under a $250.00. I really wanted a Aimpoint but at this moment it’s out of my price. Both of these red dots actually work better than I expected. Is there anything that Aimpoint will do that these wont and are they worth saving up for.
I’ve done a field test yesterday and both showed remarkable accuracy up to 75 yards (I did not try anything further) I do truly love to have a aim point M3 or M4 but if this works ?????

please dont look to clost at the photos I just placed everything together in a hurry so my wife wont Bitch Again that I’m taking another picture of my AR

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/glockster357/IMG_1185.jpg

five13
03-02-08, 17:32
The Aimpoint is overall more durable and will retain zero under hard use. Check out the optics forum.

tugsus
03-02-08, 18:50
+1 check out the optics thread. Pay now for good optic or pay much more in the long run.

5pins
03-02-08, 19:08
I have a Tasco PDP 3 that I got as a gift about 8 years ago. It’s not something I would have gotten myself but I figured I would use it until it stopped working. It’s still working and on the original battery.

Maverick
03-02-08, 19:33
I have a S.P.O.T that I got when I first got my AR (now on my GSG-5) and it's working today with now problems. I don't see why yours wouldn't do as well if your just using it at the range for planking.

•• I spot an upside down mag.•• :D

Jeffy
03-02-08, 19:48
From my research, I think the consensus is, if it's a plinker or a range gun, then it won't matter much. If it's a duty rifle or something you need to depend on, then it's best to get the best.

Nothing wrong with some good old iron sights either.

sigmeister229
03-02-08, 19:50
We all make mistakes look for the error in this professional photo
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/glockster357/mr_and_mrs_smith_09515.jpg:p :p

Jeffy
03-02-08, 19:55
:p

Funny that should come up. If I remember right in the previous scene the camera is looking down the barrel so you can see her eye. I'd blame the director. ;)

monkeywrench
03-02-08, 19:59
Why can't I see anything????????
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

sigmeister229
03-02-08, 20:19
She’s going to be hit with brass!!

jhs1969
03-02-08, 20:34
Scope is backwards!

carbinero
03-02-08, 21:21
Vortex Strikefire looks cool for $150.

Jay Cunningham
03-02-08, 21:25
Run your optic for 1200 rounds over 3 days with some rain thrown in and get back to us how it held up.

IrishDevil
03-02-08, 23:19
I learned a long time ago, if not an Aimpoint, it's a waste of money. If it's just a safe queen/plinker put whatever you want, if there is any possibility you will use it for something serious, get an Aimpoint.

Failure2Stop
03-03-08, 08:32
If it works for you and meets your needs, then it is fine. Here is my opinion of the whole "what's wrong with this?", and "as good as. . ." type of thought.

What average homeowner guy that just wants to shoot at cans needs in an optic is very different than the professional that buys items that will be transferred to the weapon that he will carry into a gunfight.

If your only requirement is that the optic displays a red dot that indicates the general area the bullets will be falling, then I am sure you will be quite happy, and that's ok.

If you intend on relying on the optic to defend you, your family, or other people, I would point you in another direction.

It all comes down to cost to benefit ratio. If you don't need it, and don't want it, don't spend money on it, but don't be suprised when someone else tells you that they don't like or want your choice.

I think that the Comp C3 is the best value for a civilian shooter, but that's just me.

carbinero
03-03-08, 08:45
What do you recommend for the Comp C3 mount? Particular Larue model?

Failure2Stop
03-03-08, 08:55
What do you recommend for the Comp C3 mount? Particular Larue model?

I am partial to LaRue, and to me it depends on if you are going to use a magnifier or not. I use the cantilever (stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=37) if I may decide to throw a magnifier on that particular gun. I like it because it allows more flexability in the eye-relief of the 3x, but can still be brought rearward to allow faster dot acquistion if you prefer it that way.

I use the standard LT-150 if it is going to be non-magnified (short gun). I use the standard (stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=26) because it keeps the optic more rearward, which speeds up my dot acquisition, and is more forgiving of head/eye placement behind the optic.

The ADS and Wilcox mounts seem to be good as well, but I have not personally used either one, so I cannot give a first-hand review of them.

This is just me, and is variable by shooter.

rob_s
03-03-08, 08:59
At the AK class I took in January we had one of those marvelous SPOT sights shit the bed before the first break on TD1.

The most expensive optic you ever bought is a cheap one.

Okaraider
03-03-08, 12:12
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/glockster357/mr_and_mrs_smith_09515.jpg:p :p

Isnt the bolt locked back?

As long as the optics cost almost as much as another gun ill have to use cheap optics : (

billybronco
03-03-08, 12:18
The CQ/T is obviously on backwards and I don't even think I see a bolt face thorugh the ejection port.

Is there even a BCG in the damn thing????

They obviously put the optic on backwards for the "coolness factor". More glass visible = more cool points.

Bad_Karma
03-03-08, 16:38

Wow! I sure didn't see any errors in this photo. After reading some of the replies I realized you guys are looking at the gun...

Either you guys or I have poor situational awareness...I'm not sure which it is. :D ;)