PDA

View Full Version : So where have all the revolvers gone?

Crow Hunter
01-17-13, 08:51
I thought this panic was about AWB and standard capacity magazines.

Well, I have been in the market for a S&W 642 no lock and since I can't walk right now I was surfing around to see what kind of deals I could find out there. I was ASSuming that since all the focus was on semi-autos that I might be able to find a deal on a revolver.

Ummm..... No.

Buds has NO J-Frames in stock and really the only S&W revolvers are the Big X-frames and maybe a couple of the Classics.

Davidsons has NO J-Frames in stock and what little they do have is allocated.

I haven't been to a gun shop since before all this shit started, so I don't know what it is like locally but since they didn't have a very good selection of J-frames before, I assume they won't have one now. Both of the biggest stores locally have just one small case of revolvers with 7 or 8 dedicated to automatics.

Is this due to the general panic or is S&W diverting resources into producing their autos?

snowdog650
01-17-13, 10:19

Well, I have been in the market for a S&W 642 no lock and since I can't walk right now I was surfing around to see what kind of deals I could find out there. I was ASSuming that since all the focus was on semi-autos that I might be able to find a deal on a revolver.

Ummm..... No.

Buds has NO J-Frames in stock and really the only S&W revolvers are the Big X-frames and maybe a couple of the Classics.

I haven't been to a gun shop since before all this shit started, so I don't know what it is like locally but since they didn't have a very good selection of J-frames before, I assume they won't have one now. Both of the biggest stores locally have just one small case of revolvers with 7 or 8 dedicated to automatics.

Is this due to the general panic or is S&W diverting resources into producing their autos?

I'm not seeing the same thing you are. Revolvers are plentiful around my parts.

I'm thinking revolvers are going to get very popular in New York ...

Packman73
01-17-13, 11:01

Yes sir. My dad is already on the hunt for one as I'm sure many are.

Crow Hunter
01-17-13, 11:34
I have a very limited selection of revolvers at local gun shops. They always have LOTS of autos but only a few revolvers and usually the ones that they have are either used (worn out) or new lock models. (Or Rossi/Taurus)

So I figured I would go online and see what I could order and have shipped to a local dealer.

But they are all out of stock on line which I was wondering where all the revolvers went. I was really expecting to be quite a bit of stock available and maybe even some deals because I was expecting all the focus to be on semi-autos.

I just found it to be odd.

ST911
01-17-13, 12:30
Availability depends on region and model. Every Cabelas and Scheels I've been recently has been well stocked in J-frames and LCRs. Some K frame, though not as plentiful even in the best of times.

No-locks are always in demand and go quickly. I haven't seen a no-lock 642 on a shelf for awhile, but 442s are more common.

RHINOWSO
01-17-13, 13:36
I haven't done much looking in person, aside from one drive by of a LGS, and honestly they were out of everything... I think people who didn't have a forearm and were late to the frenzy bought revolvers just to have something...

Online its hard to find S&W and Ruger revolvers at the usually suspects... Maybe they have pushed to upping semi-auto pistol and rifle production for the time being, which would make good business sense to me...

Wildcat
01-17-13, 15:34
Old J-frames like Model 36s were plentiful but service trade-ins, like Model 10s or 64s, were starting to dry up about a month before the November elections. Since then.....

JHC
01-18-13, 14:26

Yeah here where I hang out in north GA too. I've bought a few at good prices. Good selection of used as of late. Maybe a punch traded in on hicap semi's while the gettin' was legal. Dunno.

Frailer
01-18-13, 17:32
A bunch of J-frames seem to have ended up at my house.

They follow me home from pawn shops, gun shows, Wal-Mart parking lots...

RHINOWSO
01-18-13, 19:17
Used to have more, but these are keepers!

Pocket carry 442 and little thumper 640-1/357, both no locks of course!

The 640-1 is my snake and woods backup gun.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/Smith%20and%20Wesson/edead56e.jpg

TriviaMonster
01-18-13, 19:31
All my local stores are stocked on revolvers and pretty much all semi auto pistols including G19s. Just no mags.

Its funny how we never traded a little bit of freedom of religion after the Jonestown Massacre.

zacii
01-18-13, 20:00
I was planning on getting a 642 this year, but haven't been able to locate one yet.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

CAVDOC
01-18-13, 21:48
Wheel guns here in ny are going to start selling like hot cAkes. I generally prefer one but there is a big difference in carrying one because I want to as opposed to have to

Wolfman131
01-18-13, 23:05
I would imagine that NY-state residents being restricted by law to seven rounds or less, are a likely reason for the thinning out of selection. Of course they can't legally own any of those fancy eight shot revolvers, can they now.

interfan
01-19-13, 12:17
I was surprised to go into the local Bass Pro here in LV to get some tumbler media and see all the revolvers cleared out. Even the Tauruses and the Ruger single action ones. I spoke to a guy at the gun counter and he said people were concerned about Obama banning them. Basically the only pistols in the case were lower end 1911s (Remington and Para) and a few FN 57s, which is strange in the context of a ban scare.

All the primers (even shot shell primers) and powder was also gone over concerns of ban as well. The guy stocking reloading equipment said that people came in and panic bought powder and primers who don't even reload. Hmm... OK.

I guess ignorance is something that really should be banned, but that won't happen any time soon.

aguila327
01-20-13, 00:32
I'm wondering if dealers are trying to work out exchanges of stock to accomodate dealers in the states passing this extreme legislation.

My LGS has a shop fill of illegal rifles, and handguns with no magazines. He's concerned that he will be out of business sooner than later unless he can work out a deal with some out of state gunshops and exchange his unsellable stock for some Revolvers, lever, bolt, slideactions, and semi auto's with 7rnd mags.

He's in trouble:(

Crow Hunter
01-20-13, 09:04
I'm wondering if dealers are trying to work out exchanges of stock to accomodate dealers in the states passing this extreme legislation.

My LGS has a shop fill of illegal rifles, and handguns with no magazines. He's concerned that he will be out of business sooner than later unless he can work out a deal with some out of state gunshops and exchange his unsellable stock for some Revolvers, lever, bolt, slideactions, and semi auto's with 7rnd mags.

That is a point that I hadn't even thought about. What would you do when pretty much 2/3 of your stock is suddenly illegal to sell? Based on what distributors have instock (at least what they have showing online) there isn't anything out there to "swap". Maybe from some individual FFLs but the distributors have been "picked clean".

Interesting times.

Warp
01-20-13, 19:46

Wouldn't they just LOVE it if gunshops went out of business as a result of this legislation. :angry:

interfan
01-22-13, 00:02
Wouldn't they just LOVE it if gunshops went out of business as a result of this legislation. :angry:

That is the goal of the NY legislation: every law abiding citizen is a criminal and gun stores can go under because they are selling "evil". A seven round capacity has some very serious ramifications.

CobraBG
01-24-13, 09:25
In my area the gun stores have a very limited inventory. I just bought a S&W M&P 340 .357 with no lock from an online retailer. It took a few months to find it. I had been on a waiting list twice. The first time I got an in stock notice I wasn't fast enought and the 2 they had were sold. This time I was able to get it. :D It should be at my FFL next week. It will compliment the S&W 442 that I already have.

BIGUGLY
01-24-13, 17:10
The only ones I have been able to find lately around my area are maybe a Taurus, even with the gun grab going on people have left these one. I have found some in .22, but nothing anyone really wants.

No Smith's, Rugers or anything of value around right now. I did find a nice little Beretta Nano, might have to grab that.

Warp
01-24-13, 17:33
Revolver counter at my LGS.

Normally it is full side to side, top to bottom.

Taken yesterday

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/Firearms/20130123_143614_zpsf0aaa9ae.jpg

Crow Hunter
01-24-13, 19:18
Revolver counter at my LGS.

Normally it is full side to side, top to bottom.

Taken yesterday

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/Firearms/20130123_143614_zpsf0aaa9ae.jpg

Unfortunately that is about the selection at my LGS normally.

No one around here stocks revolvers much for some reason. For every 1 case with revolvers there are 5 to 6 with autos.

I am going to try and get out tomorrow and go to a store and see what they have just for entertainment.

CDR_Glock
03-30-13, 23:15
Our guns, be it pistols, revolvers or Semiauto rifles are selling like hotcakes.

The J-frame 442 is impossible to find. If I saw one, I'd buy it.

So I'm carrying my S&W 586 L-Comp 7 round 357 magnum.

xjustintimex
03-30-13, 23:24
I was having the same problem. It took 3 gun shows before I found a 642 and I got the only one that was there :confused:

Ummm..... No.

Crow Hunter
03-31-13, 09:19
I have been keeping my eye out for a 442/642 and I don't ever see anything.

The local Gander mountain is starting to have more guns trickle in. Last time I was there they had triple the handguns they had just a couple of months ago.

They also had 2 new S&W 15 in stock. (They were priced at $985, IIRC:eek:) Which is the first S&W anything I have seen in a store for sale in a while.

They also had 2 Ruger LCRs, so hopefully some of the other, more reasonably priced stores will be getting something in soon.

I still don't see anything in stock on any of the distributors pages.

Quiet-Matt
03-31-13, 09:31
I asume that the shortage of revolvers is due to the crazy number of folks that have decided to get their carry permits recently. I have witnessed several people singing the same song at our lgs. They usually tell the guy behind the counter that they are getting ready to take their ccw class and now they need a gun. They seem drawn by the simplicity of the revolvers compared to the semi autos. Several of the women couldnt manage to work the slide. The employees usually direct them toward revolvers anyway, explaining the reliability and ease of use.

Kilroy
03-31-13, 13:06
Bought a no-lock nickel S&W 442 in December for $325.00, LNIB. Got another in January for $300.00. Local gun show had a walk-in with a blue 442 and I owned that for $350.00.

They are out there, but don't snooze too long when you see one.

CAVDOC
04-02-13, 12:09
Despite the new law my local shop ( which claims to be the biggest in ny state and I don't doubt them) has perhaps 100 or so used and at least a couple hundred new wheel guns in stock. Mostly smiths which is good. The used run from $200 beaters to 800 new smith stuff. I for the Life of me do not understand why anyone would buy new when used smiths are so abundant at least in my area. They also have boat loads of ten round and less cap pistols. Counter guy who shoots at my club say they got a shipment of two hundred shields this week. They have no more ar's- unless the law get overturned they will never be able to sell ar's ever again. Just so sad

Rumpelhardt
04-02-13, 13:28
Up here you can still find revolvers and to a lesser extent semi auto hand guns though they're fewer in number. What I'm finding is that .38 special and .357 magnum ammo is hard to find. It's easier to find .45 acp and .40 S&W than it is .38/.357.

Shoulderthinggoesup
04-24-13, 17:57
Have been looking for a Ruger 454 Alaskan. You would think I was looking for intelligence in Feinstein's brain.

montanadave
04-24-13, 18:10
Have been looking for a Ruger 454 Alaskan. You would think I was looking for intelligence in Feinstein's brain.

That I could find around here. As for a GP100 SS with the 5" barrel? Might as well be looking for a NIB Colt Python.

snappy
04-25-13, 00:14
Last month I paid $400 for a 442-2 and was tickled to get it. Took me over 2 months to find it but at least my pocket is happy again.

montanadave
04-25-13, 07:27
And I found one of those Davidson's Ruger GP100s. But I paid considerably more than I wanted to. Alas, the heart wants what the heart wants. :laugh:

Arik
04-25-13, 08:04
When the frenzy started i saw nothing but P&R revolvers being traded in.

Picked up this M36 38spl for $199

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/25/bene7a8u.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

FN in MT
04-25-13, 17:31
Attended the insanely crowded April Big Reno show two weeks back.

I found maybe 5 or 6 DECENT Smith revolver deals at the show. A pair of M-19's in the $475-$525 range. Both were 95% or better guns, little blue wear and both timed up right.

Saw a 2 1/2" M-66-3, carried a lot, fired little, for $510 and the guy immediately came down to $475.

Also saw a pair of K-38's later guns, but both very nice shooters. One was $425 and the other $450. That was Friday.

ALL of them gone by Saturday afn.

Here in MT there is little of ANYTHING that's a decent deal in ANY shop. Many that traditionally had decent prices have succumbed to pricing by GunBroker.:(

CDR_Glock
04-27-13, 15:01
So I took a year looking for mine. Everywhere I went they were sold out or just sold an hour before I got there (head scratch). Anyways, I took it out Thursday and I was happy to hit steel plates out to 25 yards. I couldn't hit steel at 50 yards, yet. That will take some time I guess.

Anyways, I am using a Nemesis holster to conceal it in the pocket or IWB. However, since I'm losing weight, the IWB is starting to fail me.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/28/a7y7a7uq.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/28/udy7yta6.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/28/a5ugureb.jpg

Crow Hunter
04-29-13, 14:36
Well I know where one of them has gone.

TO ME!:D:D

I found one this morning at my favorite Jackson TN gun store.

Performance Center enhanced action 642.

It has the lock, which was a turn off when the guy behind the counter handed it to me. But he said, try that trigger, it is unbelievable on a snub.

So I did. WOW! I have never felt such a smooth consistent trigger on a snub like this before. I used to own a no lock 640 and my brother owned a 442 for a while and this trigger was MUCH better. I didn't even disturb the sight picture at all. Needless to say, I bought it. :cool:

$536 out the door, tax and TIC. Not too bad, I don't think, considering.

I did shoot 10 rounds out of it. The only 10 rounds of .38 I could find anywhere in the house. Well technically, I found 11 but I saved one round in case I needed to Barney Fife carry.

Here is proof it did happen. :D

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/anewbill/001-1_zpse6a731ec.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/anewbill/media/001-1_zpse6a731ec.jpg.html)

I was shooting at roughly 35 feet downhill into a tree I don't like at the lake behind the house. Not too bad for my first 10 rounds. I need to get an improved grip or a set of CTC grips though, this one bites me a little bit.

My first shot was not on the paper. :rolleyes: But my next 3 are what you see directly in the center, then it started to hurt so I think I was flinching a little bit and pulled the rest of the shots left. I think if I had a little meatier grip on the gun, I would have a little less finger in the trigger and maybe not get my thumb knuckle chewed on as much.

Of course, being able to actually find some .38 Spec ammo would help the out a little bit...:mad:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/anewbill/002-1_zps8e822af0.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/anewbill/media/002-1_zps8e822af0.jpg.html)

robotoid
04-29-13, 21:28
For some reason I've been hankerin' for a fixed sight stainless Ruger revolver, like GP100 or Service Six. None to be found locally anywhere. LGS has recently restocked very well on EBR's of all types, and some pistols, but the revolver case is almost bare. I noticed they are carrying Taurus revolvers now, where as a few years ago the same shop owner told me he'd never sell a Taurus firearm (or Kel-Tec, which they sell now too) due to their low quality.

hamour
05-29-13, 08:22
"Where did all the revolvers go?"

As many as possible went into my gun safe!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/HamourKiller/Handguns/DSC01792.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/HamourKiller/media/Handguns/DSC01792.jpg.html)

Crow Hunter
05-29-13, 17:28
"Where did all the revolvers go?"

As many as possible went into my gun safe!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/HamourKiller/Handguns/DSC01792.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/HamourKiller/media/Handguns/DSC01792.jpg.html)

See, I knew someone was scarfing them up!

:D

Very nice collection there. Although the "pimp" stocks in the lower right hand corner really aren't my taste.:p

kwg020
05-29-13, 19:49
The older revolvers have been traded and rolled over so many times finding the old owners and locating the new owners is virtually impossible. They are still registered somewhere but Uncle Sam has no idea who has them now. That's the way many folks want it just incase the liberals declare marshall law and steal all the semi autos and rifles. Besides, the QUALITY revolvers have never gone out of favor with knowledgable gun folks. kwg