PDA

View Full Version : small chips on slide

Phillygunguy
01-17-13, 12:51
Hey folks just wanted to know, I have an early Gen 3 glock 17
Prefix DDH Bought used a few weeks ago and noticed what looks like some chips or wear inside the slide, looks like maybe where the slide contacts the rails Is this something I should be concerned about?

austing43801
01-17-13, 14:08
If it bothers you or effects now the pistol functions call glock

Phillygunguy
01-17-13, 14:17
If it bothers you or effects now the pistol functions call glock

Doesn't bother me nor is it causing malfunctions just wanted to know if there is something like excessive wear and if i should replace something

thopkins22
01-17-13, 14:29
Put it on the receiver and rack the slide. Is the wear located where the rails meet when it's all the way back? If so I think you've got your answer.

From the limited amount of the gun I can see in your picture, it doesn't look like it's had enough rounds to cause such a problem...I don't think I'd worry about it.

Maybe see if it passes the Glock recoil spring test.

glock17fan
01-17-13, 14:33
Is your Glock a 2 pin or 3 pin model? This is more common on the 2 pin models. It is nothing to worry about and you do not need to replace anything at this time from what I can see in pics. It is caused by the locking block hitting the slide when the frame flexes during firing. I have a Gen 3 17 ( 2 pin model) that I carried on duty for about 8 years that had the same thing and it still shoots better than my newer Glock 17. I have been a Glock armorer since the early 90's and I even seen it on older Glock 22's and I saw a Glock 32 Gen 3 newer production that looked worst than that. Hope that is what you are talking about on your slide.

Phillygunguy
01-17-13, 15:01
Is your Glock a 2 pin or 3 pin model? This is more common on the 2 pin models. It is nothing to worry about and you do not need to replace anything at this time from what I can see in pics. It is caused by the locking block hitting the slide when the frame flexes during firing. I have a Gen 3 17 ( 2 pin model) that I carried on duty for about 8 years that had the same thing and it still shoots better than my newer Glock 17. I have been a Glock armorer since the early 90's and I even seen it on older Glock 22's and I saw a Glock 32 Gen 3 newer production that looked worst than that. Hope that is what you are talking about on your slide.

looks like its a 2 pin. Im guessing its a transition between gen 2 and 3?I ordered 2 new recoil springs from Brownells may be ill replace the spring being its used. I figured it probably has lots of rounds though it, the slide looks pretty worn almost a greyish color. which I actually like :smile: Also I noticed the trigger seems so much smoother than my newer gen 3, Am I to assume its really broken in? is that how older gen 3s where initially?

jck397
01-17-13, 17:24
That type of wear is pretty common...I've seen it a lot in the. 40 Glocks. Swap all the springs and carry on.

gan1hck
01-17-13, 17:30
I have the exact same gun which I've had for a few years.

I definitely have a bunch of nicks and chips.....can't tell what came with the gun from what I caused.

Magsz
01-17-13, 19:35
As the frame flexes the locking block tends to flex with it.

This is normal to a point and will eventually stop getting any worse.

I HATE it but it is something that has no affect on anything other than cosmetics.

Littlelebowski
01-17-13, 19:37
Entirely normal. Will stop wearing sooner or later.

Phillygunguy
01-17-13, 20:13
Thanks for the info everyone