PDA

View Full Version : Streamlight's new 630 Lumen TLR-1 HL

VIP3R 237
01-17-13, 23:46
I checked this out at Shot Show, and holy hell this thing is bright.

630 lumens!

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=276

HighDesert
01-18-13, 00:01
Any indication on price?

Vash1023
01-18-13, 02:32
Ill be the first of many to say that's TOOOOOOO bright.......

lunchbox
01-18-13, 02:55
Ill be the first of many to say that's TOOOOOOO bright.......Agreed BUT, I'll have to find out for myself:dirol: The hard way.

kid presentable
01-18-13, 06:56
Any indication on price?

Here you go...didn't even have to break out the google-fu

http://www.lapolicegear.com/st-69260-tlr-1hl.html

Shao
01-18-13, 07:00
Thanks for the link...

Looks like Streamlight's answer to the X300 Ultra...

I actually trust the TLR series more than the SF X series, as I believe the mounting system is far superior.

I would be interested in acquiring one, but I told myself that I would never buy another TLR series light until they lost the "blingy" silver ring around the bezel. It's very distracting looking to me and keeps it from looking as "serious" as an all-black model would. I know that's a minor gripe, but I had to deal with that ring on my old TLR-1 for years and it never sat right with me.

kid presentable
01-18-13, 07:08
Thanks for the link...

I actually trust the TLR series more than the SF X series, as I believe the mounting system is far superior.

I would be interested in acquiring one, but I told myself that I would never buy another TLR series light until they lost the "blingy" silver ring around the bezel. It's very distracting looking to me and keeps it from looking as "serious" as an all-black model would. I know that's a minor gripe, but I had to deal with that ring on my old TLR-1 for years and it never sat right with me.

yeah, I LOVE my surefire lights but the TLR series is a great light. I was thinking about picking up a x300 ultra but with this one coming out I may pick up another streamlight. As for the "Blingy" silver ring around the bezel, i didn't like the bling either and i've actually sprayed mine down with some krylon

JBecker 72
01-18-13, 07:33
Thanks for the link...

You are the first person I have ever heard say the tlr had a better mount than the X300. I have found the exact opposite to be true through experience with both.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

SWATcop556
01-18-13, 07:34

Just curious why you feel this way. In your opinion other than the mount what else makes the TLR superior to the X series?

My experience is exactly the opposite. I've killed three dept. issued TLRs (two LEDs and one circuit board) and have seen more lights launched down range when the mounting screw loosens under fire.

Shao
01-18-13, 07:42
You are the first person I have ever heard say the tlr had a better mount than the X300. I have found the exact opposite to be true through experience with both.

Well to make a long story short, I've used both on my 870. The TLR-1 has had at least a few thousands shells through it through the years and never loosened up or came off - in fact, it almost looked new the day I sold it. I sold it for a Surefire X300. When I took it to the woods to check it out, I managed to get about 40 rounds off before the X300 blew off my Surefire rail (Surefire light on Surefire rail - go figure) for no apparent reason. There was no damage to the light so reattached it, put about 100 more rounds of 12 pellet Dynamit Nobel 00 Buck through it and.. guess what happened? It blew off again! I cannot contribute it to use error as I've installed a multitude of weapon lights throughout the years to all manner of guns and have never had one blow off twice in less than 200 rounds (scratch that, had a FoxFury blow off my 870 once after about 50 rounds, broke the plastic housing - sent it in for a replacement which I promptly sold).

Shao
01-18-13, 07:44
Just curious why you feel this way. In your opinion other than the mount what else makes the TLR superior to the X series?

My experience is exactly the opposite. I've killed three dept. issued TLRs (two LEDs and one circuit board) and have seen more lights launched down range when the mounting screw loosens under fire.

I've owned a number of TLRs and have never experienced a failure of any sort. The same cannot be said for the X300 I used to own.

Mounting screw fix: blue loctite

JBecker 72
01-18-13, 07:48
Well to make a long story short, I've used both on my 870. The TLR-1 has had at least a few thousands shells through it through the years and never loosened up or came off - in fact, it almost looked new the day I sold it. I sold it for a Surefire X300. When I took it to the woods to check it out, I managed to get about 40 rounds off before the X300 blew off my Surefire rail (Surefire light on Surefire rail - go figure) for no apparent reason. There was no damage to the light so reattached it, put about 100 more rounds of 12 pellet Dynamit Nobel 00 Buck through it and.. guess what happened? It blew off again! I cannot contribute it to use error as I've installed a multitude of weapon lights throughout the years to all manner of guns and have never had one blow off twice in less than 200 rounds (scratch that, had a FoxFury blow off my 870 once after about 50 rounds, broke the plastic housing - sent it in for a replacement which I promptly sold).

You were probably using the wrong latch. The U latch does not fit well on a MIL1913 rail.

Shao
01-18-13, 07:55
You were probably using the wrong latch. The U latch does not fit well on a MIL1913 rail.

Nope - I used the P latch... No play whatsoever once the light was mounted... Take in mind that I'm a Surefire guy and will choose Surefire 99% of time over any other light, in fact, I'm don't even really like Streamlight and have only owned one of their handhelds (which I traded because is was... blah) but I just believe the TLR series is better engineered.

EDIT: and before anyone jumps in, I've been rail mounting accessories and lights for as long as I can remember them existing - so I am no amateur in this field.

whiterabbit05
01-18-13, 07:57
Of course I just bought the TLR-1s a few weeks ago.

ra2bach
01-18-13, 11:16

too bright for what?..

SWATcop556
01-18-13, 11:52
I've owned a number of TLRs and have never experienced a failure of any sort. The same cannot be said for the X300 I used to own.

Mounting screw fix: blue loctite

Fair enough.

Vash1023
01-18-13, 12:18
too bright for what?..

Are you serious?

This have been beaten to death several times now but I'll go over it quickly.

600+ lumens out of a pistol light is 3x what u need and 3x what you want.

Even the 200lumen lights can cause a temporary loss in vision of the guy behind the gun. Not including team mates.
Have you ever cleared a dark room with a bright flashlight? If you have you'd know that it ruins your night vision for a minute or so.
Can you imagine doing it with a 600+lumen light.
You would be temporarily blind along with everyone else in the room.
And that's just 1 of the many reasons.
If it had a half power setting then maybe I'd get one because sometimes more is better... But that's about 2% of the time in reality

SWATcop556
01-18-13, 14:30
I'm using 500 lumen lights and so far no issues. I'm not saying it might not be a little much in some small rooms but overall not near the issue it gets portrayed as on the inter-nut.

Where it is really beneficial is outdoor. No such thing as too much light there.

Only issue I had was entering a room with full length wall mirrors on one side but a 60 lumen 6P would have been a problem.

I'm leaning towards this notion that the lights are too many lumens these days are stories on the Internet unfounded in real world apps.

Shao
01-18-13, 15:04
I'm using 500 lumen lights and so far no issues. I'm not saying it might not be a little much in some small rooms but overall not near the issue it gets portrayed as on the inter-nut.

Where it is really beneficial is outdoor. No such thing as too much light there.

Only issue I had was entering a room with full length wall mirrors on one side but a 60 lumen 6P would have been a problem.

I'm leaning towards this notion that the lights are too many lumens these days are stories on the Internet unfounded in real world apps.

Yep... Lumen ratings are a selling point. The extra light is nice but in a lot of cases, I'd rather have longer run-time. Who wants to be changing batteries all the time? You hit the nail on the head, brother - the 200 lumen Surefire head on my 870 is plenty enough, maybe overkill in many situations. It all depends on the beam profile though. Flood is great for illuminating a large area and would be better served within a squad - a more focused beam can be better for an individual shooter - allowing a point of reference of aim even - and often allowing greater useful distance.

Everyone is talking about mounting their lights at 12 o'clock - well I don't believe that these new ULTRA output CREE XM-L units will work as well in that mounting position - the spill back could blind the shooter as well as the perp/opponent. My two cents.

ra2bach
01-18-13, 16:01
Are you serious?

This have been beaten to death several times now but I'll go over it quickly.

600+ lumens out of a pistol light is 3x what u need and 3x what you want.

Even the 200lumen lights can cause a temporary loss in vision of the guy behind the gun. Not including team mates.
Have you ever cleared a dark room with a bright flashlight? If you have you'd know that it ruins your night vision for a minute or so.
Can you imagine doing it with a 600+lumen light.
You would be temporarily blind along with everyone else in the room.
And that's just 1 of the many reasons.
If it had a half power setting then maybe I'd get one because sometimes more is better... But that's about 2% of the time in reality

am I being serious? yes.

have I ever "cleared" a room with a powerful light? yes...

just so you know, any light you use is going to degrade your night vision the first second you turn it on. that's not an issue unless you're just waking up from a deep sleep but if you are coming into a situation your night vision would already be degraded from whatever light you used to get you to the place you need to "clear". and you're not going to get dreaded "flashbulb" effect unless you shine it on a mirror or whatever...

the benefit of more light is that it gives a wider throw which is absolutely beneficial -- http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1486356&postcount=22

I remember when everyone said that the 65 lumen lights were all you need... :rolleyes:

ra2bach
01-18-13, 16:04
Yep... Lumen ratings are a selling point. The extra light is nice but in a lot of cases, I'd rather have longer run-time. Who wants to be changing batteries all the time? You hit the nail on the head, brother - the 200 lumen Surefire head on my 870 is plenty enough, maybe overkill in many situations. It all depends on the beam profile though. Flood is great for illuminating a large area and would be better served within a squad - a more focused beam can be better for an individual shooter - allowing a point of reference of aim even - and often allowing greater useful distance.

Everyone is talking about mounting their lights at 12 o'clock - well I don't believe that these new ULTRA output CREE XM-L units will work as well in that mounting position - the spill back could blind the shooter as well as the perp/opponent. My two cents.

whatever "spill-back" you get isn't going to be 1/10th as worrisome as being IN FRONT of that light...

VIP3R 237
01-19-13, 00:42
Just playing with it at Streamlight's booth at Shot and shining around the building and 'accidentally' strobing my brother in the process :D it is very bright. Just shining it on my hand hurt my eyes. Outdoors on a carbine this thing would kick ass. Inside i could see where it could cause some whiteout to the shooter, but i would 100x rather be behind it than in front of it.

SW-Shooter
01-19-13, 04:22
I went ahead and backordered one, I'll post a review when I get it. I also ordered the TLR 1S-HP for one of my carbines, luckily I have enough AR's and not enough lights.

LMT42
01-27-13, 22:10
I know very little about weapon lights, and how they're manufactured, but would a dimmer switch be a plausible addition?

It'd be nice to have a light bright enough for outdoor use, but capable of dimming for indoor use. I find my TLR-1 is a little bright for indoor use in the middle of the night when my eyes aren't adjusted. Especially if I catch a mirror with it.

lobstradomus
01-27-13, 23:37
I know very little about weapon lights, and how they're manufactured, but would a dimmer switch be a plausible addition?

It'd be nice to have a light bright enough for outdoor use, but capable of dimming for indoor use. I find my TLR-1 is a little bright for indoor use in the middle of the night when my eyes aren't adjusted. Especially if I catch a mirror with it.

The issue with multi-mode lights and adjustable brightness switches is the potential for accidentally selecting the wrong output or fumbling with complicated switches/rings/etc. in high stress situations. You might be better off with something like a flip down diffuser, not only would it help to cut down the output a bit but it can soften the hotspot some.

FlyingHunter
01-28-13, 19:18
When are these going to hit the market?

Ky Bob
01-29-13, 10:52
Not a bad price considering what I paid for my Inforce.

Shao
01-29-13, 11:05
whatever "spill-back" you get isn't going to be 1/10th as worrisome as being IN FRONT of that light...

True... Though another major concern of mine with the TLR/Surefire X series lights is the inability to quickly change out the batteries if needed. I don't want to fumble with catches or have to dismount my weaponlight in a combat situation - One of the reasons why I sold my TLRs and X200/300s. They're great lights, but I like having the ability to simply unscrew the bezel and drop a new cell/cells in - takes all of about 8 seconds (much less if you practice a lot).

The issue with multi-mode lights and adjustable brightness switches is the potential for accidentally selecting the wrong output or fumbling with complicated switches/rings/etc. in high stress situations. You might be better off with something like a flip down diffuser, not only would it help to cut down the output a bit but it can soften the hotspot some.

It all boils down to training and UI. With a good UI and proper training, a multi-mode light can be every bit as good if not better than a single mode light. That being said, I'm a big fan of flip down diffusers/filters. If your light is floody as is, the diffuser will just act to cut lumens (for example, I ran a diffuser on a Malkoff M61 equipped light and there was NO difference at all in beam profile and only about a 30% reduction in output). If you have a thrower, the diffuser excels in helping spread the light around. I personally prefer a red flip filter as they usually cut the light siginificantly more than a diffuser and also help to preserve night vision.

BigLarge
01-30-13, 14:33
My TLR1/2s have always worked well. Was going to order a x300u, but the price-point on the HL is much better. I think im going to order one to try out....

BigLarge
01-31-13, 04:20
Found a killer pre-order deal, so decided to order one. I'll post a review when it arrives in 2-3 weeks

Ky Bob
01-31-13, 08:30
Found a killer pre-order deal, so decided to order one. I'll post a review when it arrives in 2-3 weeks

Where??

Palmguy
01-31-13, 09:14
True... Though another major concern of mine with the TLR/Surefire X series lights is the inability to quickly change out the batteries if needed. I don't want to fumble with catches or have to dismount my weaponlight in a combat situation - One of the reasons why I sold my TLRs and X200/300s. They're great lights, but I like having the ability to simply unscrew the bezel and drop a new cell/cells in - takes all of about 8 seconds (much less if you practice a lot).

What good pistol mounted light is out there that isn't a rear load design for the batteries?

Ironman8
01-31-13, 09:38

Why on earth would you ever think about changing batteries on ANYTHING "in a combat situation"??

This is why you carry a handheld along with any weapon mounted light...not to mention the fact that you should be checking batteries before any kind of "combat use" anyways...

And as for the 8 second bit...I'm going to have to throw the flag on that one...

ra2bach
01-31-13, 13:20
Why on earth would you ever think about changing batteries on ANYTHING "in a combat situation"??

This is why you carry a handheld along with any weapon mounted light...not to mention the fact that you should be checking batteries before any kind of "combat use" anyways...

And as for the 8 second bit...I'm going to have to throw the flag on that one...

:dirol:

Voodoo_Man
01-31-13, 13:37
I ran a TLR1s on duty for a while, good light, only complaint was the strobe function would randomly turn on while shooting - battery life was to be expected but I carried spare rechargeable batteries so no worries.

I am probably going to pick one of these TLR1HL and a TLR2G when I can see it in person. - http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=278

I have a Viridian X5L Gen2 which I LOVE and I am always looking to see what other alternatives there are to gun mounted lights on the market.

Magsz
01-31-13, 15:50

Ironman already covered this but changing batteries is a non issue.

First off, you put in fresh batteries before going on patrol or raid.

Secondly, as a home owner, if you LET your lights go dead...you're foolish. Otherwise, you have the luxury of testing your battery levels at ANY time...

Ok, enough foolishness. Has anyone received their lights yet? So far ive only seen these available for pre-order or backorder.

Jim D
01-31-13, 16:24
When are these going to hit the market?
6 weeks, according to my contact with Streamlight.

sierra 223
01-31-13, 16:41
I think it would make a better rifle light than pistol light.

A lot of people sell Streamlight short when compared with Surefire. I have had as much luck with Streamlight as I have had with Surefire.

BigLarge
01-31-13, 22:28
April, according to my contact with Streamlight.

I was told "2-3 weeks" from the company I pre-ordered from... hopefully your wrong otherwise i'll be cancelling my order

Jim D
02-01-13, 10:44
I was told "2-3 weeks" from the company I pre-ordered from... hopefully your wrong otherwise i'll be cancelling my order

Just double checked, the TLR2G's are April, the TLR1-HL's are shipping in 6 weeks.

frogger
02-04-13, 19:20
I think this light would be great for a lightweight carbine build if you want max power. That said, I just picked up the new TLR-1s and prefer it. For $50 less I get 300 lumens, strobe feature and twice the battery life. For any distance I'll be using it at (I'm non-LEO, non-mil), 300 lumens is plenty.

ufg8r
02-07-13, 21:51
I ran a TLR1s on duty for a while, good light, only complaint was the strobe function would randomly turn on while shooting - battery life was to be expected but I carried spare rechargeable batteries so no worries.

I am probably going to pick one of these TLR1HL and a TLR2G when I can see it in person. - http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=278

I have a Viridian X5L Gen2 which I LOVE and I am always looking to see what other alternatives there are to gun mounted lights on the market.

I'm leaning towards the new 2G myself!

legendkiller
02-12-13, 12:45
Does anyone know if this will fit in a holster that supports a TLR-1s? My biggest issue would be moving up to this, and then it not work in my holster. I know when they upped the TLR-1 from 160 lumens to 300 lumens, the case stayed the same. Do we know if that is the case here?

BigLarge
02-12-13, 14:09
Does anyone know if this will fit in a holster that supports a TLR-1s? My biggest issue would be moving up to this, and then it not work in my holster. I know when they upped the TLR-1 from 160 lumens to 300 lumens, the case stayed the same. Do we know if that is the case here?

The head on the TLR-1 HP appears to be slightly larger. It looks like it will still fit. I ordered one for my rifle but i'm going to put it on my Glock 22 to see if it will fit my holster (when I get it).

legendkiller
02-12-13, 15:18
Agreed, it looks like it'll fit. I've got one on pre-order, and if it fits, great. If not, it'll go on my rifle. Just thought I'd ask so I could go ahead and order 2 right now, one for each gun. Thanks for the input

wahoo95
02-12-13, 16:13
I think this light would be great for a lightweight carbine build if you want max power. That said, I just picked up the new TLR-1s and prefer it. For $50 less I get 300 lumens, strobe feature and twice the battery life. For any distance I'll be using it at (I'm non-LEO, non-mil), 300 lumens is plenty.

Sweet, I didn't realize the TLR1s had been upgraded to 300 lumen

"If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough"

Steve S.
02-12-13, 20:38

Too bright? That's like saying "too much money" or "there's too many titties flopping around in this hot tub". I want every advantage I can get.

^^^ x 10.

am I being serious? yes.

have I ever "cleared" a room with a powerful light? yes...

just so you know, any light you use is going to degrade your night vision the first second you turn it on. that's not an issue unless you're just waking up from a deep sleep but if you are coming into a situation your night vision would already be degraded from whatever light you used to get you to the place you need to "clear". and you're not going to get dreaded "flashbulb" effect unless you shine it on a mirror or whatever...

the benefit of more light is that it gives a wider throw which is absolutely beneficial -- http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1486356&postcount=22

I remember when everyone said that the 65 lumen lights were all you need... :rolleyes:

^^^ x 100.

Game. Set. Match.

Fo' real! If it's a home defense weapon, that's the reason it's a good idea to have a spare if possible. If it's in an offensive combat situation, change batteries BEFORE the S hits the F.

According to my Mk2 EyeBallMeasurementLaser at SHOT, the external dimensions looked exactly the same aside from some weird fluting on the bezel. So without having any in hand, and based only on finger banging them at SHOT, I will say that it will work in every holster out there made for a TLR1.

WS6
02-13-13, 04:35
I remember years ago me saying that LUX was far more important than Lumens in determining "too bright". Your lights in your house aren't bad, are they? They put out a ton more lumens than this piddly thing. Just a lot less LUX.

WS6
02-13-13, 04:43

630 lumens!

630 OTF lumens for 1.25 hours regulated run-time on 2 CR123's?
Believe it when I see it. With today's single-die LED technology, you're looking at about half that, any way you slice it. Cut the lumens in half, or the run-time, or mix-match, but you won't be getting both.

lobstradomus
02-13-13, 13:56
630 OTF lumens for 1.25 hours regulated run-time on 2 CR123's?
Believe it when I see it. With today's single-die LED technology, you're looking at about half that, any way you slice it. Cut the lumens in half, or the run-time, or mix-match, but you won't be getting both.

It does sound quite fanciful and I am probably just as skeptical as you are... but it might just be on the ragged edge of possible these days. Some quick figuring shows that (in a supremely efficient setup,) an XM-L2 U2 emitter at an 85 degree junction temp, with say only an 85% loss to the reflector/lens and a 95% efficient driver with no other resistance in the system would only need a little over 6.5 watts and a fresh pair of top of the line CR123's might just be able to supply that -although probably not entirely regulated.

However, it is much more likely that Streamlight is using an XM-L T6 at ~2.8a requiring somewhere around 9.5 watts +/- .3 to hit the stated output. So you are probably spot on about it being nearly half the stated regulated run time. Still pretty darn impressive if you ask me, ten times more efficient than the original Surefire 6P or M600B.

WS6
02-13-13, 15:49
It does sound quite fanciful and I am probably just as skeptical as you are... but it might just be on the ragged edge of possible these days. Some quick figuring shows that (in a supremely efficient setup,) an XM-L2 U2 emitter at an 85 degree junction temp, with say only an 85% loss to the reflector/lens and a 95% efficient driver with no other resistance in the system would only need a little over 6.5 watts and a fresh pair of top of the line CR123's might just be able to supply that -although probably not entirely regulated.

However, it is much more likely that Streamlight is using an XM-L T6 at ~2.8a requiring somewhere around 9.5 watts +/- .3 to hit the stated output. So you are probably spot on about it being nearly half the stated regulated run time. Still pretty darn impressive if you ask me, ten times more efficient than the original Surefire 6P or M600B.
I have some EXTREMELY efficient LED's, and the best they are capable of is around 450-500 OTF lumens for 1 hour (XM-L T6 @ 1.5A in an aluminum fully potted body)

lobstradomus
02-13-13, 16:25
I have some EXTREMELY efficient LED's, and the best they are capable of is around 450-500 OTF lumens for 1 hour (XM-L T6 @ 1.5A in an aluminum fully potted body)

450 OTF is definitely incredible for a T6 at only 1.5 amps drive current, without accounting for any regulator inefficiency or reflector/lens losses you are at 94% of what Cree claims that emitter is capable of; factor in those standard losses and I would bet you are either getting about 390 lumens OTF or are actually drawing ~2 amps. The newest XM-L2 will add an additional 20 lumens per watt across nearly the entire operating range which makes Streamlight's claims at least plausible but certainly not economical.

Edit - Sorry, I always think drive current and not current at the tailcap so to speak. If you are measuring current from 2 CR123 batteries then 9 watts going to the regulator would certainly get you at least 450 OTF, possibly up to ~600.

BLACK LION
02-14-13, 19:17
I too remember when the "current knowledge" fed us full with the "65 lumens is plenty" and "anything over 120 lumens is overkill".
As said above, any light will degrade your night vision, even a flick from a zippo. I am getting deeper into the bright lights becuase I have been left needing more and know what its like. Hell, you can troll over to overready.com and find a 1600 lumen SF X300 so whos to say what "enough light" is.
I was just about to pick up 2 of the 300 lumen TLR-1s but I checked the streamlight website and saw these coming out and I made a call to a guy who can get s*** when no one else can and boom... even hit me for 30.00 cheaper than LAPG.
To me, its all about how you use the light and realizing that its not something to get engaged to...just splash and dash.

I got an angle on these for 140.00 plus 7.50 shipping and handling if any of you are interested.
Email me @ blacklioncombatives@gmail.com as I cant rely on the pm feature here because I have an internet nazi program installed that blocks every thing now.

cadjak
02-24-13, 18:14
Since we live in a "more is better" culture, the manufacturer specs for a lot of items tend to be "generous". Even in their online promo video for the HL, Streamlight doesn't show a beam shot. The literature for the HL describes it as having a "wide" beam. I have never owned a weapon mounted light. I expect to be using the light mostly outdoors, for four legged beasties annoying livestock and trashing outbuildings (No, not outhouses. We've been civilized out here for a while now). Without actually seeing the HL model's beam, I can't decide whether to pick one up or not. I notice a lot of online dealers are dropping prices on the TLR-1 and 1s.

cadjak
02-25-13, 22:12

630 lumens!

Can you describe the beam? Streamlight just says "wide". I am trying to decide between the new HL and the TLR-1. Is it more flood beam than focussed spot? I know being in the SHOT chaos probably isn't the best test environment.

BLACK LION
02-26-13, 11:37
Can you describe the beam? Streamlight just says "wide". I am trying to decide between the new HL and the TLR-1. Is it more flood beam than focussed spot? I know being in the SHOT chaos probably isn't the best test environment.

"•TIR optic produces a concentrated beam with optimum peripheral illumination."

Concentrated beam as well as peripheral illumination....so you will see a focused spot and a big ass circle of light around it that is not as bright.

cadjak
02-26-13, 12:32
Thanks that gives me some idea, the only folks who actually have seen this light, like you, saw the samples at SHOT. Even the person at Streamlight Tech dept. has not seen one yet. They are listed as "coming from production". They are supposed to be in the pipeline in about 3 weeks. I'll hang on until then. I have a bad habit of chasing published specs. That has not always worked out for me in the past. $$$ :nono:

VIP3R 237
02-26-13, 12:53

"•TIR optic produces a concentrated beam with optimum peripheral illumination."

Concentrated beam as well as peripheral illumination....so you will see a focused spot and a big ass circle of light around it that is not as bright.

That is what i observed. Freaking bright center, with a less bright outer ring.

Shao
02-26-13, 16:08
Sweet, I didn't realize the TLR1s had been upgraded to 300 lumen

Streamlight regularly updgrades their lights with new LEDs, but I've noticed that they usually don't advertise it like Surefire does. I've had two TLR-1s and two TLR-3s, bought some time apart, and my older TLR-1 and TLR-3 are noticeably much dimmer than the newer ones, though nowhere on the packaging did they list any kind of upgrade. My theory is that with a lifetime warranty, they don't want people slamming their lights on the ground to get a free upgrade.

I too remember when the "current knowledge" fed us full with the "65 lumens is plenty" and "anything over 120 lumens is overkill".
As said above, any light will degrade your night vision, even a flick from a zippo. I am getting deeper into the bright lights becuase I have been left needing more and know what its like.

I used to be a brighter is better kind of guy, but after years of chasing the next brightest light, I realized that 95% of the time it's overkill and I'd rather have more runtime and better beam-quality than just brute force lumens. People used to complain about the way the 6P would tear through batteries - now we're doing the same but with LEDs. I think a compromise is the best solution. All LEDs are most efficient within a certain drive range and I think for a weaponlight, I'd like mine to be in that sweet spot.

FlyingHunter
03-14-13, 21:53
anybody have these in stock yet?

SW-Shooter
03-14-13, 23:56
Nope, I keep getting put off by LA Policegear. They said mid-April.

KellyTTE
03-15-13, 00:35
I have both a TLR-1HL and a Surefire X300-ultra right here. The first picture is the X300U and the second is the TLR-1HL. The X300U has a smoother cone at longer ranges, but the TLR is much whiter light and the splash area is great. These pics were taken in the same area of the house, fresh batteries, same cell camera. From where I was standing to the foosball table is 27yds (approx).

I'm an admitted Streamlight apologist so I'll let you draw your own conclusions. For the record the TLR-1HL fits existing TLR-1 holsters.

The third pic is side by side at 5' pointed at a "realtor beige" wall. The SF is on the left, the SL on the right.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/15/ymy6adu4.jpg

Hope that helps.

El Pistolero
03-15-13, 09:28
So is the TR-1 HL really 630 lumens OTF or is that 630 at the emitter?

BigLarge
03-17-13, 01:26
TLR1-HL looks awesome!!!

Where'd you get yours ? Pre-ordered mine 4 weeks ago.. still waiting....

KellyTTE
03-17-13, 09:31
Mine came from the mil sales rep at Streamlight. They are still filling mil/le pre orders.

Galaxy Note II + Tapatalk 2

Biggy
03-17-13, 13:54
Does anyone know if this light will work mounted on the rail at 12 o'clock, or is it to high where it blocks out the front sight post ?

KellyTTE
03-17-13, 14:05
Does anyone know if this light will work mounted on the rail at 12 o'clock, or is it to high where it blocks out the front sight post ?

Its slightly visible the lower 1/3 of my ACOG. Same sight picture as a regular TLR-1 thru the irons and red dots.

aaron_c
03-18-13, 21:09
For those thinking this light may be 'too bright', also don't forget you can add a Surefire diffuser to smooth out and spread out the beam. I have one on my home defense setup (on an Insight WX150) and love it.

Ironman8
03-18-13, 21:39
For those thinking this light may be 'too bright', also don't forget you can add a Surefire diffuser to smooth out and spread out the beam. I have one on my home defense setup (on an Insight WX150) and love it.

Why do that when you can get the 300ish lumen model (which is arguably more than enough) and get the longer run time as well? :confused:

Fidalgoman
03-18-13, 22:39

630 lumens!

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=276You don't have to shoot em, you can just burn their eyeballs out of their sockets with that much candle power. :sarcastic:

aaron_c
03-19-13, 07:34
Why do that when you can get the 300ish lumen model (which is arguably more than enough) and get the longer run time as well? :confused:

The 300 lumen model is fine for many/most users. My reasons, though, would be: A) the diffuser gives you a MUCH cleaner light pattern and illuminates a wider area, and B) if you have to take it outside, you could easily slip the diffuser off and have that extra output.

HassanChop!
03-21-13, 04:40
Here is a amusing and informative review of the SL TLR series weapon lights. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkRm57PRhJg

polymorpheous
03-21-13, 05:14
"there's too many titties flopping around in this hot tub"

:lol:
Sig line material right there!

ra2bach
03-21-13, 13:56
I'm in the camp that more light is better, especially if it increases the spread along with the hotspot.

I'd like to see a comparison of this new light with 300 lumen 1s...

KellyTTE
03-21-13, 14:22
I'd like to see a comparison of this new light with 300 lumen 1s...

I have several 1s'. I'll get a pic posted up later tonight.

Madnik
03-21-13, 19:16
Re too much... I remember when 100 lumens was "too much." My, how things have changed... More and more hard chargers that I know, guys who regularly use their lights to train for and actually search for targets, prefer a minimum of 300 lumens of light in the hand or on the weapon, regardless of being indoors or out.

And they're right, as far as I'm concerned. With a few months of SF X300U experience in a variety of settings, I've decided to make 500 my personal "minimum."

--

As for Streamlight's new light, good for them. The more competition, the better.

ra2bach
03-21-13, 20:17
I have several 1s'. I'll get a ouc posted up later tonight.

thanks Kelly, I assume you have the 300 lumen TLR1s? I have an original 1s at whatever they rate the lumens and it is nice. whether the new 630 lumens is necessary or the 300 is adequate is my question...

ra2bach
03-22-13, 14:05
this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HLiXYAtYhM says the "HL" series is designed for a wider dispersion.

this fits into their new motto "Go Wide or Go Long".

REALLY want to see this side by side with a 300 lumen TLR1s...

Koshinn
03-30-13, 04:58
In stock at DSG, $125 with .mil discount
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/STL69260.aspx

FlyingHunter
03-30-13, 18:11
Thanks for the link to an "in-stock" supplier Koshinn - I believe I'll buy one.

FlyingHunter
04-08-13, 13:23
Never could get an answer from DSG Customer service phone #, although I did appreciate the Jimi Hendrix music loop while on hold.

Called Galls, got it for $131.99

http://www.galls.com/CGBCSTYL?PMSTYL=FH308

They had 7 in stock as of 4/8/2013

Koshinn
04-08-13, 13:52
Never could get an answer from DSG Customer service phone #, although I did appreciate the Jimi Hendrix music loop while on hold.

Called Galls, got it for $131.99

http://www.galls.com/CGBCSTYL?PMSTYL=FH308

They had 7 in stock as of 4/8/2013

I got my two from dsg Thursday last week.

Gargoyle
04-09-13, 19:06
I got two TLR-1HLs in today and already have them mounted to a G21 and G35. They replaced TLR-1 units and these HLs are a good improvement! Much bigger & brighter beam of light with good cast and splash! I can get these for $145 shipped if anybody wants them.

Alric
04-10-13, 09:54
Can anyone post a picture of this light from a top view? By that I mean looking down at the rail key. I'm curious if this light can be modified to fit on an HK45c.

ra2bach
04-10-13, 13:11
well I just got a PROTAC HL/600 Lumens light. this is the handheld version with clicky tailcap and three programs - high, strobe, and low (35 lumens). all I can say is holy hell...

I would not consider the handheld PROTAC for a weapon light because of the multiple programs but if the TLR-1 HL is like this then there's no question that it will be a good weapon light...

it has both a longer and wider throw than any of my current lights. it makes my Surefire G2X look like a toy... using it in the house, I don't have any problems with it being too bright but honestly it doesn't seem to be needed in this application. however, once you step outside, there's no comparison...

Voodoo_Man
04-10-13, 13:20
well I just got a PROTAC HL/600 Lumens light. this is the handheld version with clicky tailcap and three programs - high, strobe, and low (35 lumens). all I can say is holy hell...

I would not consider the handheld PROTAC for a weapon light because of the multiple programs but if the TLR-1 HL is like this then there's no question that it will be a good weapon light...

it has both a longer and wider throw than any of my current lights. it makes my Surefire G2X look like a toy... using it in the house, I don't have any problems with it being too bright but honestly it doesn't seem to be needed in this application. however, once you step outside, there's no comparison...

I, too, just picked up the protac HL, awesome light.

WS6
04-10-13, 13:26
I spent more and got the X300U.
My reason was the QD mount. If Streamlight steps up and integrates one, as well, I would love to try their product.

Koshinn
04-10-13, 14:23
I spent more and got the X300U.
My reason was the QD mount. If Streamlight steps up and integrates one, as well, I would love to try their product.

I actually prefer the streamlight mount because I cannot get a X300 off my rail without a mallet or unscrewing the bottom part with a torx screwdriver. The streamlight seems to me to be much quicker to disconnect than the surefire.

Jim D
04-10-13, 16:16
I, too, just picked up the protac HL, awesome light.

Me three.

The thing is like a portable sun. The head on it is too wide for me to want to pocket carry it daily, but it's a hell of a light.

WS6
04-10-13, 20:13
I actually prefer the streamlight mount because I cannot get a X300 off my rail without a mallet or unscrewing the bottom part with a torx screwdriver. The streamlight seems to me to be much quicker to disconnect than the surefire.

Have you adjusted it with the 6 underside bolts?

ra2bach
04-11-13, 11:33
Me three.

The thing is like a portable sun. The head on it is too wide for me to want to pocket carry it daily, but it's a hell of a light.

agree. I got two - one rides in my car and the other sits on my home office desk.

as a car light it works great because of the low (35 lumen) setting and on high, finding street numbers, even up on front porches, is not a problem now.

at home, I'll let my dog out at night and if I hear barking I can just step out on the porch with this. huge wide bright spill with amazing penetration into woods that my G2x would just light the front row of trees.

and while it definitely puts out considerably more (brighter/wider) light than my G2x nightstand light, I don't think it's needed for this. not that it's too MUCH light, just not NEEDED for the distances inside the home.

I'm still waiting to see a comparison between the new 630 lumen TLR and the 300 lumen one...

BLACK LION
04-13-13, 11:10
This just hit the shelves @ brightflashlights.com. Mine should arrive by 4/16. The total was 277.50 for 2 units shipped.

Koshinn
05-14-13, 01:12
agree. I got two - one rides in my car and the other sits on my home office desk.

as a car light it works great because of the low (35 lumen) setting and on high, finding street numbers, even up on front porches, is not a problem now.

at home, I'll let my dog out at night and if I hear barking I can just step out on the porch with this. huge wide bright spill with amazing penetration into woods that my G2x would just light the front row of trees.

and while it definitely puts out considerably more (brighter/wider) light than my G2x nightstand light, I don't think it's needed for this. not that it's too MUCH light, just not NEEDED for the distances inside the home.

I'm still waiting to see a comparison between the new 630 lumen TLR and the 300 lumen one...

Oh sorry forgot about this thread. Did you still want me to do a comparison between old and new tlr1? How would I do such a comparison?

ra2bach
05-14-13, 13:37
Oh sorry forgot about this thread. Did you still want me to do a comparison between old and new tlr1? How would I do such a comparison?

sure, that would be nice. I would be happy with just a pic comparing beams at a likely outdoor distance - 25 to 50 or even more yards. in my case, something against a row of trees to show beam spread and pattern (width and hotspot) wold tell me all I need to know.

I have Insight W150 Tactical Weapon Lights on pistols because the levers work ambidextrously. and I use TLR1s mounted upside down at 12:00 on carbines but not the new 300 lumen version. these have been fine for the application but I think I would like a little more range with the carbine. having seen the amount of light the PROTAC HL/600 Lumens light puts out, this would be the new normal, but if the 300 lumen gives a substantial step up over the earlier TLR1s, I would consider it as well...

Koshinn
05-14-13, 13:49
sure, that would be nice. I would be happy with just a pic comparing beams at a likely outdoor distance - 25 to 50 or even more yards. in my case, something against a row of trees to show beam spread and pattern (width and hotspot) wold tell me all I need to know.

I have Insight W150 Tactical Weapon Lights on pistols because the levers work ambidextrously. and I use TLR1s mounted upside down at 12:00 on carbines but not the new 300 lumen version. these have been fine for the application but I think I would like a little more range with the carbine. having seen the amount of light the PROTAC HL/600 Lumens light puts out, this would be the new normal, but if the 300 lumen gives a substantial step up over the earlier TLR1s, I would consider it as well...

I don't own any trees, but I'll see what I can do about borrowing some.

ra2bach
05-14-13, 17:23
I don't own any trees, but I'll see what I can do about borrowing some.

buildings would work... :p

actually anything that can show width of beam and maybe with some diffusion/spacing between like bushes to show penetration. trees/bushes are ideal because they tend to over-illuminate at the front and don't allow much definition on the light that penetrates.

this is the reason that some still prefer incandescent lights to LED because the "color" of the light allows it to penetrate better through fog/smoke than bluer color lights do. I have not found any issue with the 600 lumen lights as they pretty much turn the whole area into day...

VIP3R 237
05-16-13, 22:54
I ordered one from DSG monday ad today it showed up and wow i am impressed, it's like having a portable sun with you.

When compared to a 160 lumen TLR-1S the HL has a wider focal point that is almost a diamond shape and of course is incredibly brighter. It wasnt too bad inside the house except when i used the strobe function, that shit can mess you up, i'd hate to be on the other end of it.

kid presentable
05-17-13, 08:38
these guys have it available for $125...
http://www.dvor.com/s/77bmfa.html

ra2bach
05-17-13, 12:10
they'll sell it at that price. but what about availability?..

kid presentable
05-17-13, 12:37
they'll sell it at that price. but what about availability?..

my experience with them is that if you can add it and pay for it, it's in stock. they are just slow as molasses on shipping. think last time I bought a knife off of there I got it a couple weeks later

uffdaphil
05-17-13, 12:44
Got my HL yesterday and went to compare with my other Streamlight I am happy with. Jokes on me -- I'd forgotten the other is an HL also.

Now I need to find an affordable twin mount with single switch to strobify home invaders. Would really be nice if the units could flash alternately. A red flasher might help to intimidate too. I don't think it illegal to impersonate John Law in your own home.

el_chupo_
05-17-13, 23:19
I dont have the new HL yet, but I have the "old" 1s (170 lumen) and the "new" version (300 lumen), and got some beam shots.

As a benchmark, I used my Surefire 6PX Pro, on 200 lumen. The 170 lumen light has the most use on the batteries, probably around 30-45 minutes. Fresh batteries in the SF 2 days ago, and the 300 lumen TLR has about 3-5 minutes of use on it, just comparing and spotting stuff in the yard.

Pic one will be SF, Pic 2 will be 170lm TLR, pic 3 will be 300lm TLR.

First set is a tree ~20 yds away, with a brick wall about 20yds behind that.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o227/el_chupo_/surefire3_zps49c70e96.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/el_chupo_/media/surefire3_zps49c70e96.jpg.html)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o227/el_chupo_/tlr-170-3_zps9cd476cb.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/el_chupo_/media/tlr-170-3_zps9cd476cb.jpg.html)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o227/el_chupo_/tlr-300-3_zpscf6da4ff.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/el_chupo_/media/tlr-300-3_zpscf6da4ff.jpg.html)

Set 2 is a tree 50-60yds from where I am standing, across the street

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o227/el_chupo_/surefire5_zpsf7fea7a7.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/el_chupo_/media/surefire5_zpsf7fea7a7.jpg.html)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o227/el_chupo_/tlr170-6_zps5e36ddde.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/el_chupo_/media/tlr170-6_zps5e36ddde.jpg.html)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o227/el_chupo_/tlr300-4_zps80eb6157.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/el_chupo_/media/tlr300-4_zps80eb6157.jpg.html)

dp509
05-18-13, 15:20
Thanks for the comparison

jondoe297
06-10-13, 20:21
I just got a TLR-1HL two weeks ago. I don't have any first hand experience with the X300, but so far I'm more than pleased with the Streamlight.

VIP3R 237
06-10-13, 22:53
I just got a TLR-1HL two weeks ago. I don't have any first hand experience with the X300, but so far I'm more than pleased with the Streamlight.

Honestly I'm not as impressed with Surefire anymore after using the Streamlight products.

jondoe297
06-11-13, 20:52
Honestly I'm not as impressed with Surefire anymore after using the Streamlight products.

I could go either way on small handheld lights. As far as the larger duty-type lights go, I love my Streamlight PolyStinger DS. My TLR-1HL is my first weaponlight, so I don't have anything to compare it to. It works for me though, so I'm happy!

Bluto
06-16-13, 18:26
Normally I go surefire, but I want to mount a light at the 12 o’clock position using Mossie Tactics’ FSB mount (http://www.mossietactics.com/Support.html).

I would like a remote switch and the X300 Ultra’s remote switch is in the middle and sticks out pretty far, so it will not work with this mount.

Has anyone tried the TLR-1 HL with the remote switch mounted on the Mossie Tactics FSB mount? Does it fit?

masakari
06-26-13, 16:11
Normally I go surefire, but I want to mount a light at the 12 o’clock position using Mossie Tactics’ FSB mount (http://www.mossietactics.com/Support.html).

I would like a remote switch and the X300 Ultra’s remote switch is in the middle and sticks out pretty far, so it will not work with this mount.

Has anyone tried the TLR-1 HL with the remote switch mounted on the Mossie Tactics FSB mount? Does it fit?

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/IMG_20130526_105905_777_zps609e1ec1.jpg
yup. it works very well infact.

lunchbox
06-26-13, 21:31
Damn I forgot this thread. I did get the HL as mentioned earlier, very happy with product so much in fact ended up buying the other HL (protac). BUT 630 is way too bright for close quarters (esp white walls with pic frames & mirrors). Not so bad in my long hall way, but right out of my bedroom the hallway L's and if slice pie/splash there towards kids room (or other tight spaces) in middle of night !*HELLO*! white floaty spots. It doesn't help wifes got glass framed pictures and mirrors all over the place..

cwgibson
06-26-13, 22:10
This looks like a nice mount. I think I may pick up one of those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PCFIVEZ
07-08-13, 02:06
i like it. now time to search for the best possible deal!

jknopp44
07-08-13, 22:58
http://www.opticsplanet.com/streamlight-tlr-1-hl-high-lumen-weapon-light.html just picked one up recently. Very happy with it

Koshinn
07-08-13, 23:06
i like it. now time to search for the best possible deal!

If you're LEAF (to borrow the arc'teryx term), DSGarms has the best deal on it that I've seen at $125 + shipping.

ra2bach
07-09-13, 12:47
I may have missed it but is there any comparisons between the 300 lumen TLR and the 630 lumen HL?

I see they are both available below msrp but still about $50 difference and I want to know if the difference is worth it...

streck
07-09-13, 13:04
I bought the HL and for inside the home work, I can't see it having much of a benefit over a 300L light. If you ever think you may need to use it outside, the 600+ is a big help.

ra2bach
07-09-13, 18:58
I bought the HL and for inside the home work, I can't see it having much of a benefit over a 300L light. If you ever think you may need to use it outside, the 600+ is a big help.

kinda what I was thinking. but how much better is the 300 lumen than the previous TLR1s C4 that has, I think, 200 lumens?..

streck
07-10-13, 07:24
kinda what I was thinking. but how much better is the 300 lumen than the previous TLR1s C4 that has, I think, 200 lumens?..

I have not used the regular TLR-1 so can't compare. I do have the TLR-3 which is a ~100L single battery light. The HL completely blows it away.

Our walls are not white not have many reflective objects like mirrors or pictures so the reflective light is not overwhelming. I find it very workable inside. The output really fills a larger room or hallway.

I would probably recommend getting the HL if you can stretch to the extra $50. That output for that cost is a screaming deal.

streakpi
08-10-13, 16:33
Good discussion. I run TLR-1s on my HD guns/rifles/shotgun. Thinking of moving up to a TLR-1 HL for the carbine...think the light would be good if I have to illuminate the outdoors or use it from my vehicle. My house plan is XD 45 fighting to the shotgun with a TLR-1s. I don't "plan" on using carbine indoors and I am not a LEO. Sooo....my money is on the HL.

Bowser
08-12-13, 04:08
The only thing I wish the TLR-1 series lights has is the ability to activate the light by pressing inward on the switch like the X300 can do. Otherwise, I really like the TLR-1S. Might have to get the HL soon.

domestique
08-12-13, 04:25
I like the fact that Streamlight made this light backwards compatible for all the existing holsters.

A big turnoff the Surefire’s Ultra is that you need all new holsters.

JS-Maine
12-19-13, 05:01
Sorry to revive an old thread. Does anyone have the HL mounted at 12 o'clock riding the top rail in front of a troy fixed front sight? The setup would be 13" rail 16" barrel? How is that working for you? Pro's/cons? I searched high and low yesterday and couldn't find an answer. Thanks.

Voodoo_Man
12-19-13, 07:13
Sorry to revive an old thread. Does anyone have the HL mounted at 12 o'clock riding the top rail in front of a troy fixed front sight? The setup would be 13" rail 16" barrel? How is that working for you? Pro's/cons? I searched high and low yesterday and couldn't find an answer. Thanks.

Mount at 6, but the HL is good to go.

JS-Maine
12-19-13, 14:46
This is as close as I could find, but this is the X300 at 12 o'clock, so very similar in nature. Wondering if the troy sight would interfere with switching on/off with the HL, or if the sight seems to be in the way of thumb placement while switching if the two are mounted very close together, as they are in the pic below.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8402/8610947225_4e1e62cd10_b.jpg

Bluedreaux
01-14-14, 23:21
My solution to the pic above was to reverse the fixed front sight, which gave me plenty of room for the rocker. I couldn't lock it ON without reversing the sight.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z118/Bluedreaux/E13E7A9E-F101-4E39-8858-420CECCA8053-1886-0000044535B6E955_zps2564ca12.jpg

wahoo95
01-15-14, 05:54
Here's a bad comparing the Streamlight models.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RC3kJw0shn4