PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing parts for M16A2 to SBR retro-fit: Need Help

tkoglman
03-03-08, 02:25
I was hoping I could get some help and info on getting the parts to retrofit some of my P.D.'s M16A2's.

The problem is that the M16A2's are too long to fit in the cruisers and too long for our purposes.

I am working on submitting a request to purchase the parts to retro fit the M16A2's to short barrelled rifles (10.5 - 11.5" barrels). I know that the cost will be the deciding factor. If I can keep the total cost under $400 I think it will fly.

Barrel: A complete upper is (cost wise) out of the question. The prices I've seen for Colt Commando barrels are just too high ($495 at SAW). As far as I know, you can't get just the barrel assy from LMT. I personally bought a Sabre Defense 11.5" for $320. I emailed them to get a price quote to see if the PD can get a lower price or not. That's about the most I think I can spend on a barrel for the project and even that is pushing it. I need a barrel that is completely reliable. I would prefer a barrel that is 1/7 twist. The only other barrels I can think of that are available are CMMG and Bushmaster, but I am wary of their quality for PD use. I know that BM has QC issues but do they extend to their barrels?

Buttstock: BCM has the best price I've found for an M4 buttstock assy, but it runs $100 with an H3 buffer (which I'm thinking I should get with the short barrel). I know I could buy an inferior buttstock for less but I would rather not. For the purpose of getting the project off the ground, though, I would compromise on the buttstock quality before barrel quality.

Extractor upgrade: I would upgrade all the extractors for about $5 each.

Right now I've come up with this:

Sabre Defense 11.5" bbl w/ gas tube & pin (Talon Arms) $334
M4 handguards (BCM) $20
M4 buttstock assy. w/ H3 buffer (BCM) $99
Extractor upgrade (BCM) $5

Total: $458 less shipping

If anyone can think of a way to accomplish this project under/around $400 I would appreciate hearing it. I would like to get those M16A2's out of the armory and out on the road, but I would rather not do it at all if I couldn't afford to put something together that I would bet my life on.

Thanks.

Robb Jensen
03-03-08, 05:46
Personally I wouldn't use an H3 buffer unless these rifles are going be used suppressed a lot and/or the officers are going to keep them lubed well. I'd just run an H or possibly an H2. Many Police issue long guns I see in cruisers are bone dry of oil. A dry rifle with a very heavy H3 buffer and a good basis for a single shot rifle.

For the last few years Manassas City PD (VA) has used 11.5" Bushmaster barrels on the US Gov't M16s that they've received (for the SWAT guys), regular rifle qualified officers are getting the 14.5" M4 bbls. These guns (despite being Bushmasters) run very well for Manassas City, IIRC most if not all of the 11.5" guns have been through 5day courses at Blackwater a few times each w/o troubles.
Most of it's in how their assembled. The Manassas City PD armorers who assembled them know what their doing.