PDA

View Full Version : shotgun news article on BCM JACK

jwfuhrman
01-18-13, 11:26
I had to laugh at the stupidity of the article. it states the barrel is a green mountain barrel that with the Gunfighter comp is 14.5in making it a SBR. also states that the Geissele rail is 13in long....

seriously is there no good gun writers out there?

sammage
01-18-13, 11:36
seriously is there no good gun writers out there?

By good, do you mean honest and knowledgeable? Not in most gun rags.

duece71
01-18-13, 13:24
Come on guys, Pat Sweeney is a straight up shooter who knows how to write perfect prose. :)

Iraqgunz
01-19-13, 02:47
If Sweeney in fact wrote that, then it proves everything I thought about that guy.

How ****ing hard is it to contact BCM or go to SHOT and see on that was on display at the Geissele booth?

Campbell
01-19-13, 04:02
Green mountain??? No BCM swag en route for Sweeney.
Seriously, there were so many things wrong...I could see a company owner seeing it as slander...:confused:

duece71
01-19-13, 05:37
If Sweeney in fact wrote that, then it proves everything I thought about that guy.

How ****ing hard is it to contact BCM or go to SHOT and see on that was on display at the Geissele booth?

Actually, it may have been David Fortier. I was just commenting on gun writers in general and Pat Sweeneys name came to mind first.

markm
01-19-13, 06:21
Sweeney regularly shows up here with hit and run posts which are embarassingly wrong about the AR platform.

I'm not sure if it's actually THE Patrick Sweeney making them, or someone trying to make him look bad.

jwfuhrman
01-19-13, 15:28
I mean seriously. How ****ing hard is it to do research before you start writing? All the info they need is right on the BCM web store!!!!

Jake'sDad
01-19-13, 16:22
What's funny is that as far as I can tell, the only purpose for the "articles" in shotgun news, is to pump up advertising.

MountainRaven
01-19-13, 16:36
Written by Peter Kokalis.

Does say that the barrel is made by Green Mountain (do we know who makes BCM's barrels?). Does not say that the BCM Comp is 14.5" long, says that the barrel is an SBR-ish 14.5" long but the BCM Comp is pinned and long enough to make the weapon a not-SBR. Does say that the Geissele SMR is 13"... with a 17" long top rail (apparently he doesn't own a ruler). And that the WML is 125 lumens (the HSP model, at least, is supposed to be 200). And that the rail sections are permanently attached to the rail, not removable (as they are in reality).

Judging from the photographs of Kokalis shooting the thing, it seems plainly obvious that he's not the weapon's target audience.

In any case, Kokalis either needs to get an editor or his editor needs to be fired.

ETA: And the purpose of the article, from what I could tell, was to sell Leupold scopes, not the BCM Jack.

wetidlerjr
01-19-13, 16:38
Well, at least it has some good pics.

Iraqgunz
01-19-13, 17:50
SBR-ish is stupid terminology. Either it's an SBR or it's not.

I think that it has been disclosed before as to who makes BCM barrels. Hint- it's not Green Mountain.

Written by Peter Kokalis.

Does say that the barrel is made by Green Mountain (do we know who makes BCM's barrels?). Does not say that the BCM Comp is 14.5" long, says that the barrel is an SBR-ish 14.5" long but the BCM Comp is pinned and long enough to make the weapon a not-SBR. Does say that the Geissele SMR is 13"... with a 17" long top rail (apparently he doesn't own a ruler). And that the WML is 125 lumens (the HSP model, at least, is supposed to be 200). And that the rail sections are permanently attached to the rail, not removable (as they are in reality).

Judging from the photographs of Kokalis shooting the thing, it seems plainly obvious that he's not the weapon's target audience.

In any case, Kokalis either needs to get an editor or his editor needs to be fired.

ETA: And the purpose of the article, from what I could tell, was to sell Leupold scopes, not the BCM Jack.

Plato
01-19-13, 18:31
I think that it has been disclosed before as to who makes BCM barrels. Hint- it's not Green Mountain.

Who makes them?

!Nvasi0n
01-19-13, 18:35
For crying out loud, Travis Haley has a pretty lengthy YouTube video about the Jack...pretty much details and specs out everything about the rifle.

Yeah it's gotta green mountain barrel and a DPMS Lower...WTF is wrong with these idiots.

!Nvasi0n
01-19-13, 18:36
If he calls it an "assault rifle" I'll pimp smack a ho!

Blayglock
01-19-13, 18:38
Yes do tell who makes them.

MountainRaven
01-19-13, 18:42
SBR-ish is stupid terminology. Either it's an SBR or it's not.

I'm fond of stupid terminology. It's what sets me apart from technically-oriented people who take themselves too seriously.

:jester:

But seriously, that's my term. I do not recall the exact verbiage used by Kokalis. I believe his exact wording was something along the lines of, "a 14.5 inch SBR barrel". With explanation a sentence or two later about how pinning the BCM Comp makes the carbine tax stamp-free.

Sigmax
01-19-13, 19:25
A good example as to why I stopped reading most gun mags a while ago......

3 AE
01-19-13, 19:31
If he calls it an "assault rifle" I'll pimp smack a ho!

Don't take it out on a ho, bitch slap the writer!

RHINOWSO
01-19-13, 23:30
What's funny is that as far as I can tell, the only purpose for the "articles" in shotgun news, is to pump up advertising.I thought that was the purpose of every gun rag ?

darr3239
01-20-13, 00:13
I'm wondering if it's the same Peter Kokalis that is a Class III expert? I met him about ten years ago. He didn't look real healthy then and he must be about 80 by now.

None of the Shotgun News articles written by him in the last several years, if in fact it is him, have showed him in any photos. They always use someone else for the photo shoots. It also makes me wonder if the articles are being ghost written for him.

PrarieDog
01-20-13, 10:50
Seems to me that much of these posts have about as much fail as the article sited.

Jake'sDad
01-20-13, 16:17
I thought that was the purpose of every gun rag ?

Pretty much, but SGN doesn't even pretend.

wetidlerjr
01-20-13, 17:03
...he must be about 80 by now.
None of the Shotgun News articles written by him in the last several years, if in fact it is him, have showed him in any photos. They always use someone else for the photo shoots. It also makes me wonder if the articles are being ghost written for him.
I believe (not positive) this is a pic of him about 2002. After doing a Google search, I think he is more than a little camera-shy. I am assuming he is now somewhere in his 60s.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/wetidlerjr/Colt%201911/KOKALIS.jpg

Seems to me that much of these posts have about as much fail as the article sited.
While on the other hand, your contribution is quite enlightening. :rolleyes:

PrarieDog
01-20-13, 21:58
Well, reading all of the posts together and seeing people talking about the inaccurate info in gun mags in general and this article specifically; the bad mouthing of various (and general inaccuracy in assigning blame for the article) gun writers that did not contribute to the article seems a little hypocritical when take as a whole. Pretty much pointing out that folks are posting as much crap as they are complaining about.

darr3239
01-21-13, 00:01
I believe (not positive) this is a pic of him about 2002

That ain't him. This is Peter G. Kokalis, and it was taken a long time ago. If it was his son doing the writing, he would have a different middle initial I'm sure.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l523/darr3239/DSCN0418_zpsf363488a.jpg

wetidlerjr
01-21-13, 02:58
That ain't him. This is Peter G. Kokalis, and it was taken a long time ago. If it was his son doing the writing, he would have a different middle initial I'm sure.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l523/darr3239/DSCN0418_zpsf363488a.jpg

I did see a one pic similar to that but I didn't think it was him. Thanks!
I did a Google search and only came up with one pic so I guess I was right about the camera-shy part, anyway.

wetidlerjr
01-21-13, 03:02
Well, reading all of the posts together and seeing people talking about the inaccurate info in gun mags in general and this article specifically; the bad mouthing of various (and general inaccuracy in assigning blame for the article) gun writers that did not contribute to the article seems a little hypocritical when take as a whole. Pretty much pointing out that folks are posting as much crap as they are complaining about.

Let me see, bitching about hypocrites. Yeah, that added to the conversation.

Merle
01-21-13, 10:19
Who does make BCM barrels?

Karcas
01-21-13, 12:06

Sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their heads!

Magic_Salad0892
01-21-13, 12:16
Sweeney regularly shows up here with hit and run posts which are embarassingly wrong about the AR platform.

I'm not sure if it's actually THE Patrick Sweeney making them, or someone trying to make him look bad.

Sweeney posts here?

Any links?

thopkins22
01-21-13, 12:18

There aren't a lot of folks hammer forging barrels(I suppose they could be using someone else for their standard barrels though.)

I think the clues pretty firmly point to FN.

Sweeney posts here?

Any links?
Member "patrick sweeney"

ilmonster
01-21-13, 13:08
Sharks with laser beams attached to their heads...:sarcastic:

O3SKILL
01-21-13, 13:54

I think most manufacturers in the US offering HF barrels get them from FN. The exception being DD who saw it wise to invest in their own HF equipment. If you go out to YouTube you can see videos of barrels being produced via the HF process. Pretty neat to watch.

Five_Point_Five_Six
01-21-13, 18:31
Sweeney posts here?

Any links?

Not markm, but here ya go. Not sure if it's the real Patrick Sweeney though.

https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php?searchid=5343595