PDA

View Full Version : How About a Pic Thread on 3-Gun Gear?

blackscot
03-03-08, 06:46
After several years in IPSC followed by an equal number in IDPA, I pretty much took off from matches last year in "what now?" mode.

Then this year I finally woke up ! ! ! to realize that I've got about the most action-packed venue I'm ever likely to find in my own backyard (see here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7508 ).

So who else here 3-guns? What are you using?

I'll start. From top:

(1) S&W M&P15 -- This is my rural-home/homeland defense carbine. All factory stock other than Aimpoint ML2 optic and Surefire G3 light (at 10-o'clock position). I plan to soon get a Magpul CTR buttstock to eliminate the wobble of the factory item, along with the MIAD pistol grip with the bolt and firing-pin core to carry these back-up components. Maybe get a few of their PMAG's as well.

(2) Remington 11-87 12-gauge -- Just bought last month. Came with the 21-inch rem-choke rifle-sighted barrel shown. Started life as a deer gun with very nice walnut stocks (which are now for sale BTW -- see here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=47&t=511735 ). Was summarily evil-ized for the rigors of 3-gun with the polymer stocks, 3-round mag extension, and sling.

(3) Glock 19 -- my everyday carry.

So post whatever gear you're running!

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/3-gun_gear.jpg

rob_s
03-03-08, 07:16
I don't "three gun" but I do "two gun", and this year for me is the year of the AK and the Glock. I'll try to get pics of both today or tomorrow.

Barry in IN
03-03-08, 15:39
My pictures wouldn't be very exciting.
I just use the handgun I'm carrying that day (1911, HiPower, or HK P7)...
The rifle I'm goofing around with at the time (AR15, M1 Carbine, or an AK that I take if it's raining and nasty outside)...
And the shotgun I'm goofing around with (probably an 870 or Ithaca 37).

Swap out the JHPs for FMJ in the pistol mags, replace the slugs and buck in the shotgun with whatever is called for, and that's it.

Barbara
03-15-08, 20:32
I've been thinking about doing some 3-gun but none of my shotguns are really set up for it..I've got a 28" Browning for trap and a couple of Mossberg 500s I sometimes use for deer hunting.

What's the minimum I'd want? Semi-auto, with an extended tube? What length is best? How much investment am I looking for in a basic shotgun that will work?

Buckaroo
03-15-08, 21:01
I think I would look into getting a 18"-20" barrel for the Mossy and add a mag extension to start with.

Would probably be a lot less than buying an auto. Then again, if you have the disposable income, I say never miss an opportunity to add to the gun safe!

I am looking to start 3 gun too and will use my 20" 590A1.

I will be eager to hear what those with more experience advise.

Buckaroo

WRMorrison
03-15-08, 22:27
I've never really thought seriously about the "run-n-gun" stuff, but I have to admit, it sounds like a lot of fun. A few of the folks around here are starting to use the saiga 12 for the shotgun stages (that I've heard about anyway).

-WRM

blackscot
03-17-08, 06:41
I've been thinking about doing some 3-gun but none of my shotguns are really set up for it.....What's the minimum I'd want?.....

It doesn't really take much to get started. So long as your shotgun is reliable, the rest is mostly up to you. You can count on probably shooting some buckshot and/or slugs on steel targets, but will also want to use lighter (and easier) field loads where clays are engaged. Not all semi-autos are 100% with the light stuff, whereas a pump will always eat anything. A good pump operator can beat a lot of semi-auto shooters. Requires more of a workout physically though.

The only other issue getting started is having an increased ammo capacity. A mag-tube extension is a relatively cheap drop-in part though, so that's a no-brainer. In addition to the gun's capacity, most courses of fire require reloading at some point, so you will need something to carry more ammo. There are some racy belt-mounted shell carriers that are popular-- along with gun-mounted shell holders and other types -- but I just use an el-cheapo Uncle Mike's belt bandoleer (shown in the pic above). Cost me $18 and holds 25 shells -- an entire box! :cool:

Beyond that, most courses of fire also involve some movement, so a shorter barrel can aid manuverability. We're definitely getting more into "refinement" here though, rather than "necessity". In the same vein, an interchangeable or adjustable choke can allow you to optimize patterning for different targets (clays versus steel, etc.). And like all guns, you can get into all kinds of sighting systems, even optics, etc. etc. :o :o :o

Ignore all that for now though. Just put a mag-tube extension on whatever you've already got, add a bandoleer to your range bag, and go try out a match. You'll probably want to come back. :D

Barbara
03-17-08, 20:30
Good info, thanks..maybe I'll think about modifying one of the 500s to try it with..I shoot carbine/pistol matches now and am pretty well set up, but don't want to invest a lot more into another sport right now. If I end up doing it much, I can always upgrade.

sapper36
03-17-08, 23:31
Great post. I am looking to get into three gun as soon as I can move out of Claifornia. I allready had a couple 1911's and a 500 persuader, just picked up a LMT to have the guns. I would really like to see some of the set ups guys are running for this.:D

blackscot
03-18-08, 06:00
......I would really like to see some of the set ups guys are running for this.:D

Check out the other thread here on our local venue ( https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7508 ).

A lot of guys are now making after-match posts of pics and vids. Scroll down through the pages to see what people are using, along with an impression of some of the stage designs.

There is just one drawback to 3-gun: it makes pistol-only matches an anit-climax. :D

sapper36
03-18-08, 08:39
Thanks

Gunfixr
03-18-08, 12:09
My current setup. The vest has a hydration carrier so I can have water instantly in the hot months. Also, it's not a full vest, and it's not black, so it's not as hot when the sun's out.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k31/Gunfixr/Customgunwork005.jpg

The same setup works with my .308 second rifle, although I can't put mags in all the pockets. I am waiting now on a custom MOLLE dual mag pouch for the Saiga that will go on the back left side, right behind the hip.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k31/Gunfixr/Customgunwork006.jpg

I also have a dump pouch, but most of the time I forget to use it. It's not as high speed as many, but I don't play to beat everyone else, just me. I'm also trying to keep some semblance of real world type equipment, as it adds to the challenge.

Barry in IN
03-18-08, 14:47
Good info, thanks..maybe I'll think about modifying one of the 500s to try it with..I shoot carbine/pistol matches now and am pretty well set up, but don't want to invest a lot more into another sport right now. If I end up doing it much, I can always upgrade.

I don't know if I would modify anything if I were you.
I use an Ithaca 37 about half the time, and it only has a bead sight and a four round mag.
I don't win, but I haven't come in last yet, either!

Barbara
03-18-08, 20:29
I've got two 500s so modifying one wouldn't be a big deal. Can still use one to not shoot deer with. :)

blackscot
03-19-08, 05:47
My current setup.......

Great gear Nate! "Thanks for sharing." :p

......It's not as high speed as many, but I don't play to beat everyone else, just me. I'm also trying to keep some semblance of real world type equipment, as it adds to the challenge.

Definite +1. I was using race gear in IPSC back in the 90's. Real-world stuff just seems more fun to me.

I don't know if I would modify anything if I were you.
I use an Ithaca 37 about half the time, and it only has a bead sight and a four round mag.
I don't win, but I haven't come in last yet, either!

Also +1. You can definitely try out a match (or more) with whatever you've got, see if you like it, and then decide what if any mods make sense to your individual needs. The first step is to GO ! ! !

Barbara
03-19-08, 18:24
I already shoot monthly carbine/pistol matches and would like to begin shooting monthly 3-gun matches. I have two of basically the same shotgun (along with 2 other shotguns I use for other purposes)..it doesn't make any sense not to make simple modifications to make one of them more practical for use in 3 gun.

On the other hand, I'm not looking to invest a whole lot more money into another sport right now so the fewer the modifications the better.

Barry in IN
03-19-08, 19:12
Oh, I didn't mean to imply there was no reason to modify it at all, but was thinking more like- If there was a 3-gun match tomorrow, I would take one as-is rather than not go at all.

Barbara
03-19-08, 20:01
No problem..not one nearby for a while.

I really know didly about the shotgun portion..you shoot slugs and birdshot, using a smooth bore? What kind of choke? You can't change them mid-game, right?

blackscot
03-20-08, 06:08
.......I really know didly about the shotgun portion..you shoot slugs and birdshot, using a smooth bore? What kind of choke? You can't change them mid-game, right?

Depends on your venue. Some clubs follow sanctioned rules, others make-up their own.

Where I shoot isn't part of anything sanctioned, but likewise they don't allow any equipment changes mid-match, i.e. using different pistols on different stages, replacing the optic on your rifle (magnified scope versus red dot), etc. This would also include switching out shotgun chokes. I've seen a couple of people with the adjustable Polychoke, which is allowed to be re-set between stages (you are not actually replacing any component of the gun). Most people just screw-in whatever fixed choke they think will work best for the day though.

Most matches will include either buckshot or birdshot on close-up steel plates, along with slugs for longer distance shots. You need a choke that will produce a tight enough pattern to knock down the plates, but that won't become overly fouled with lead from the slugs. Depending on your particular gun, somewhere between improved cylinder and modified is probably best overall. A full choke could knock down the plates better, but would lead-up too much from the slugs. Conversely, if there are also any clays to be engaged, you probably want to favor a wider spread to allow faster, less aimed fire.

Our match director posts the courses-of-fire on the match web site about a week ahead of time. This is very helpful toward preparation in all respects, including optimal equipment configuration. Following the above considerations for example, if I saw that all shotgun engagements for an upcoming match were going to be on close-up plates, I might just screw in that full choke for a change.

If you can't know and prepare for the courses-of-fire in advance, then you have to either take a "best overall" approach to your equipment, or be ready to modify on-site once you see the stages first hand prior to starting the match.

Robb Jensen
03-20-08, 07:35
No problem..not one nearby for a while.

I really know didly about the shotgun portion..you shoot slugs and birdshot, using a smooth bore? What kind of choke? You can't change them mid-game, right?

I use an old Benelli M1. I use two Briley extended chokes for 3gun. One is an Improved Cylinder (I shoot birshot, buckshot and slugs through this) and I use a Light Modified for those stages that have targets a little further out (clay and steel). I like the extended Brileys because you don't need to use a choke wrench to change them out.