PDA

View Full Version : M&P Shield

Rated21R
01-18-13, 14:41
What is my best option for picking one of these up? I know I am going to have to wait, and that is not an issue (upcoming deployment) but I'm not sure where I can even get on a list, etc. Any thoughts?

Jdbl14
01-18-13, 14:49
Have you handled one yet? I was set on getting a shield, then I got hands on with a M&P 9c. I immediately liked it better, and I am very glad my lgs was sold out of the shield. I know 2 guys that have sheilds that they paid a premium for and they love them. If the shield is the right pistol for you, and you can find one for the right price, you probably won't be disappointed. I realize I strayed off topic, sorry. I meant to say that if you can't find Shields in Stock, maybe you could find compacts and be just as happy, if not more so like myself.

Rated21R
01-18-13, 15:05
I own a compact as well as a full size and I love both. I have no doubt that I will love the Shield as well.

ra2bach
01-18-13, 15:39
What is my best option for picking one of these up? I know I am going to have to wait, and that is not an issue (upcoming deployment) but I'm not sure where I can even get on a list, etc. Any thoughts?

keep an eye on Clyde's Armory. no one local has the Shield but they got 12 in and I sent my buddy up there and he got one. this was a month or so ago so I know they are getting them...

ra2bach
01-18-13, 15:42
I own a compact as well as a full size and I love both. I have no doubt that I will love the Shield as well.

me too. I have FS and C and got a Shield. as the guy above says, it's not much different in size than the Compact but I do like mine. I'm left handed and this is my BUG. too big for front pocket carry even with 7 rd mags though it's fine in a cargo pocket...

I bet these will be verrrry popular now that NY has instituted their stupid law..

packinaglock
01-18-13, 18:23
Yea I have the 9c and .40c and was set on getting the Shield but the size difference is pretty minimal, + the compacts hold more rounds.

Kokopelli
01-18-13, 18:34
I really like the Shield (9mm) much more than I thought I would. For a cheap little plastic pistol, it's sweet. I also have a XDs and it's also much better than I thought it would be. Both run very well with no issues.. I would think this would be a good time to work up a trade. M193 for Shield?? Ron

BBQBOY
01-18-13, 21:56
I Love my 9mm Shield. However, I wish it held more rounds, of course, but I love how slim and compact it is. It's a trade off that I am willing to except.

BigDog
01-19-13, 06:05
I have the 9c, which my Wife subsequently appropriated, and the Shield, which has become my regular hot-weather carry gun. They're both excellent pistols, but different enough that they fill different billets.

The 9c now rides in the Wife's fanny pack, and the Shield rides behind my hip in a Kydex IWB.

Traveshamockery
01-19-13, 08:22
The Shield conceals significantly better than the 9c for me. The thinner mags make them easier for me to carry reloads too. I love both pistols, and the 9c makes a good winter carry gun, but in most cases, I'm carrying the Shield.

fourXfour
01-19-13, 11:25
I really like my shield. The apex trigger is a nice addition, but not needed. I have Talon grips, but I'm considering a light stipple job. I put the all black Ameriglo sights on and I couldn't be happier.

What really surprised me was how nice it is shoot. I was shocked at how the small grip felt really good. When I initially held the gun I really didn't think I could keep a good grip on it.

My wife actually prefers it over my glocks. My goal this year is to buy two more. A spare for me and one for my wife. I might get her slide cerakoted purple for her.

My only grips is the rear sights (both the stock & ameriglo) are kind of sharp. It's a little uncomfortable with certain holsters. Other than that it's pretty comfy to carry.

As far as the OP's original question as to where to get one. I gave in and paid retail. I went through gunbroker to see which shops had them, then went directly to their shop's website to order direct. I only saved about $20 vs the "buy now" option.

rickp
01-19-13, 12:44
I got one for my GF and I want to get another for me. It's a great little gun with great accuracy for its size.

Here's a quick range report I did when I first got it.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=112314

BioLayne
01-20-13, 13:54
i have a shield and am very happy with it. No malfunctions of any kind and it shoots very well for it's size. I'm better with my G19, but the shield fills a different role. Living in the hot weather the shield is something I can conceal easily and not feel like I'm 'outgunned'. My only issue I have with it is my thumb tends to ride the slide release because I have long thumbs and as such occasionally the slide doesn't lock back after the last round. Training issue... but for the role I bought it for, I'm very impressed and happy with it. I also like that the trigger is similar enough to the glocks that it's not like learning an entirely new breakpoint/reset system

RHINOWSO
01-20-13, 15:25
They seem to have gotten good reviews from what I've seen.

ddlong25
01-20-13, 16:24
Ok, maybe I misunderstood the original question. I thought he was asking for where he can get one, not for all the reviews of how great it is. That's like telling a kid how good the ice cream cone was that you just finished while not offering to give him one.

Try the following to get on a list:

http://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_27_28&products_id=1288

http://www.firearmsforyou.com/guns/hand-guns/s-w-180021-m-p-shield-9mm-3-1-7-1-8-1-syn-grip-black-finish-180021/

I will tell you that I have gotten a few notifications but by the time I see the email and get on the website they are already sold out.

Since you are military, try the following:
It doesn't have a "waiting list," but they are the cheapest prices that I have found. You just need to keep checking the website:

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/4_8/products_id/14016

shaneinhisroom
01-20-13, 16:54
I just shot one today at my LGS. I grouped it just as good, if not better than my CCW Glock 19. If supply ever comes back, I'm buying one for me, and one for the gf (she also shot incredibly well with it).

ARonBoard
01-20-13, 17:16
I had one but sold it and went back to a G26. Capacity was king for me. They sell very fast if you decide to dump it later also.

ghost762
01-21-13, 00:20
I've been trying to get my hands on one for months and every time I go into my local shop (Skagit Arm) they don't have one. I want one in .40 when and if supplies start to pick up.

BBQBOY
01-21-13, 00:22
I've been trying to get my hands on one for months and every time I go into my local shop (Skagit Arm) they don't have one. I want one in .40 when and if supplies start to pick up.

My local shop has a .40 cal. PPQ and has had it on their shelf for a few weeks now. I just bought 2 9mm PPQ's from them last week.

RCI1911
01-21-13, 12:32
Quite a few of them on gunbroker.com right now.

sobiloff
01-21-13, 18:37
Quite a few of them on gunbroker.com right now.

Yup, that's how I got mine in less than a week (not including the local 10-day waiting period, of course).

jrherhold
01-24-13, 23:32
Went to the Shot Show last week and a local gun show. Forget which one I heard that there was a backorder of 400,000 for the M&P Shield. Of course, they are making them as fast as possible, but S&W will be busy for a long time.

Heard a vendor at the gun show say that ammo vendors are offering ammo delivery for new orders to smaller buyers some time in the middle of 2014.

Haven't seen a 9mm round in a store around here for a while, so I picked up 1000 rounds at the gun show. Prices are going up weekly...

citizensoldier16
01-24-13, 23:49
Having handled both the 9c and the Shield, I vastly prefer the 9c. Just my two cents.

BioLayne
01-24-13, 23:53
I prefer a thicker grip for shooting but for the niche the shield fills, the thin grip is what I want and so I'll take the trade off. Plus the trigger is so much better on it than all the other M&Ps that it makes up for whatever it loses in shootability from it's size IMO

jhatheway
01-28-13, 00:08
It's hit or miss here in Nebraska too. In a given week 1 or 2 arrive to a shop. It's all about right place right time. My mp9c is holding me over until I can hold one in my hands.

Rated21R
01-28-13, 11:45
Held one this weekend in .40, felt nice, no way I was considering paying 750 though. :eek:

Glock30
02-01-13, 18:22
Held one this weekend in .40, felt nice, no way I was considering paying 750 though. :eek:

goodnees! $750! Three of them sold here locally today and yesterday including a .40cal for $449. The nerve of some LGSs. I held the .40 on Wednesday and fell in love with the trigger and everything else about it. They received 3 9s the next day but I missed out due to work. The funny part is that a co-worker called me this morning to tell me that he picked up one of the shield 9s :)

D.O.A.F.S.
02-02-13, 02:21
A heads up for anyone looking for a Shield, a friend at work just picked one up this week at The Sportsman's Shop in New Holland, PA. (717) 354-4311. He said they told him they had a couple 9's and 40's , he paid $440.00 plus tax.

popo22
02-06-13, 12:39
I just picked up another one yesterday from "GT Distributor", they have officers in Austin, Tx., Dallas Tx., and Atlanta, GA (I think). If you get on their list they will call you when it comes in and hold it for you for a while. Good Luck.

Rated21R
02-08-13, 15:02
Maybe they are slowly making their way out into the wild.

Austin_G
02-09-13, 03:52
All are sold out in my area.

Anyone know if the trigger reset is more tactile?

matemike
02-09-13, 06:19
I visit a few different stores regularly for odds and ends...: Academy, Bass Pro, and a coupe of LGS's around the house. For the last six months I always sarcastically ask if there are any shields in stock. One day (Jan 24) while buying some 9mm to go to the range with my bro-in-law, I asked my age old quesion and happened to see the unicorn, a S&W Shield 40 in the case for MSRP. $449 at Herbert Guns in Baton Rouge

Yes I hoped for a 9mm, but still, I picked it up given the opportunity.

Moral: Keep looking, they do exist!

mannichine
02-09-13, 06:42
I saw a 9mm in Stocker's Gun Shop in Cortland, OH Thursday evening. I see you're in Ohio. Might be worth looking them up and calling.

Not sure where in Ohio you are, but Cortland is near Warren/Youngstown.

NCPatrolAR
02-09-13, 06:49
After sitting on a waiting list for 6 months, I finally picked mine up last week. I plan to get some rounds through it today during a break in the class I'm teaching

BioLayne
02-09-13, 09:06
All are sold out in my area.

Anyone know if the trigger reset is more tactile?

absolutely. not quite as tactile as a glock, but close

ra2bach
02-09-13, 15:02
Having handled both the 9c and the Shield, I vastly prefer the 9c. Just my two cents.

I have both. I like both. different gun/different roles...

coobie
02-09-13, 18:50
Elitedealseeker.com punch in shield.I got mine about 2 months ago for $420 shipped.coobie:D

Nightstalker865
02-09-13, 22:02
So those of you that have had their shields for awhile, would you trade it for the new XDS 9mm that's coming out?

Glock30
02-09-13, 23:35
So those of you that have had their shields for awhile, would you trade it for the new XDS 9mm that's coming out?

good question:dirol:

There is something special about the feel of the M&P pistols. I own the M&P45 mid, M&P40sw full & the XDs45acp. I love XDs45 for carry, but the 9mm shield is at the top of my list over the up and coming XDS9. I seriously doubt if anyone here will trade their 9mm shield for an XDs9mm.

rickp
02-10-13, 10:13

I wouldn't keep an XD if it was given to me for free!!!!!!!!

demkofour
02-10-13, 11:25
One of the plainclothes guys in my precinct picked up a 9mm Shield the other day, off the shelf, for $550+ tax...
We compared it today to my PPS:
The PPS is maybe 1/8" longer, but a bit thinner than the Shield.
Overall, very comparable in size and weight. (Note that I did not have a scale or a caliper to make exact comparisons.)
I felt that the PPS grip, with the larger backstrap, was a little more comfortable for my medium sized hands and the manual safety on the Shield was very hard to engage (no problem disengaging.)
Fit and finish on the Shield was quite nice, as is the PPS. And not that the PPS magazine paddle release is bad, the traditional release on the Shield felt more natural to me.
I would say that if I did not already have the Walther, I would most likely opt for the Shield, as it's less expensive (so long as you are willing to wait your turn for one to come in...)
A qualified toss up for those trying to decide!

Beat Trash
02-10-13, 15:23

I've had a 9mm Shield since about a week after they were first introduced. It replaced a Walther PPS. (Both good guns, but couldn't afford to keep both at the time.)

To me, the closet gun out there that competes with the Shield is the PPS.

I have no interest in trading any XD pistol for any M&P. That would include trading the Shield for the new XD 9mm. No thanks.
u
My Shield is on my vest as a BUG as I type this. It's size makes it a special purpose gun for me. But it shoots as well as my M&P9c.

The only issue I have with my Shield is my new wife really likes it. She has small hands. Until I can find a second Sield, I have to keep my eyes on this one or she might appropriate it.

ra2bach
02-12-13, 20:50

no...

BioLayne
02-12-13, 20:53
no...

I'd have to shoot the XDs. But I really like my shield

Steve S.
02-12-13, 21:02
After sitting on a waiting list for 6 months, I finally picked mine up last week. I plan to get some rounds through it today during a break in the class I'm teaching

How do you like it, brother?

jhatheway
04-08-13, 17:45
On the waiting list for 9 months now at 2 different stores. Don't think I will ever get one.

rickp
04-08-13, 20:27
A local store out here in West Palm Beach had them last month. The store is called Shoot Straight, they even kept the original price, I paid $480.00 out the door.

I called about once a week or so until they had them in stock. As soon as they did I drove up there and got it.

R.

Briman1001
04-08-13, 22:25
I have had mine about a month. it seems to make all the right compromises for me and I am very happy so far. Grip was a little small and slick for my tastes but some talon grips took care of that. Check G&R Tactical frequently as I noticed he gets them randomly and at $430 plus shipping. I thought this was very fair since ALL of my LGS all told me to to keep dreaming as far as getting one from them.

manbearpig
04-09-13, 03:07
in stock at riflegear.com for $600

Ryno12
04-09-13, 05:59
On the waiting list for 9 months now at 2 different stores. Don't think I will ever get one.

I had to pay upfront for mine, which was $370, and I've been waiting for it for about 5 months now. Take it with a grain of salt but I recently contacted the vendor which told me " they are on a nationwide backorder until mid to late summer."

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

punkey71
04-09-13, 07:26
Quantico Tactical in Woodbridge VA will order for public safety @$390 OTD. I got mine about a month ago after a 1 month wait. I put another on order when I picked up the first one (only allowed one order at a time).

According to the counter staff they get about 40 a month and go to folks on the waiting list. If someone on the list doesn't come in 72 hrs to purchase it goes in the sales case. They haven't had to put any in the case yet.

Again, public safety sales only.

Harold

fourXfour
04-09-13, 10:26
One of the local LE dealers told me he's received half a dozen shipments on Shields this year, which he believes are each from different production runs. He compared it to his 642 order, which he gets one delivery a year. S&W is cranking out Shields and it looks like it is their main focus now. The market may be flooded by the end of summer.

I'm infatuated with my Shield and so is my wife. I will eventually get her one.

M_Rapp
04-09-13, 13:40
One of the local LE dealers told me he's received half a dozen shipments on Shields this year, which he believes are each from different production runs. He compared it to his 642 order, which he gets one delivery a year. S&W is cranking out Shields and it looks like it is their main focus now. The market may be flooded by the end of summer.

I'm infatuated with my Shield and so is my wife. I will eventually get her one.
Good to hear. Be nice to see them back down around the $420 range with $25 8 round mags... :)

Slvr Surfr
04-10-13, 16:00
If it weren't for a thread like this, I never would have gotten one. These are the MA compliant models which have 10# triggers. It's nothing that an APEX trigger kit can't fix. For those who have already modded your other M&P 9mm or .40, your old springs will interchange with the shield.

In stock now both 9mm and .40cal.

$469 shipped

D&L Outdoor Supply in Rhode Island
http://dlshootingsupplies.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=DL&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SW180051

Bret
04-11-13, 19:10
I was on a waiting list for a 40S&W for a little over a month. When I got on the waiting list, a lady at the LGS told me they had two people waiting for 40S&W's and about 30 waiting for 9mm's. I picked it up earlier this week for $425+tax. It's nice that there are still some LGS's that are not taking advantage. I thanked the guy that did the transfer for them not raising the price. He said that people remember when you overcharge them. That's a good long term outlook. I'll definitely be back. At any rate, I shot 25rds Fiocchi 170gr FMJ, 25rds Federal American Eagle 165gr FMJ, 25rds Fiocchi 165gr TCEB, and 25rds Federal 180gr HST JHP. It ate and spit out everything without a problem. Accuracy was decent. The trigger is a little heavy, but I'll shoot it some more before deciding if it needs to be adjusted. Overall, it appears to be a well made pistol.

papasan
04-11-13, 20:12
If it weren't for a thread like this, I never would have gotten one. These are the MA compliant models which have 10# triggers. It's nothing that an APEX trigger kit can't fix. For those who have already modded your other M&P 9mm or .40, your old springs will interchange with the shield.

In stock now both 9mm and .40cal.

$469 shipped

D&L Outdoor Supply in Rhode Island
http://dlshootingsupplies.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=DL&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SW180051

the 9mm is an MA compliant variant, heavier trigger pull. looks like they do have a regular 40 cal (assuming their website shows live inventory).

1911vm
04-12-13, 07:37
I really like the Shield (9mm) much more than I thought I would. For a cheap little plastic pistol, it's sweet. I also have a XDs and it's also much better than I thought it would be. Both run very well with no issues.. I would think this would be a good time to work up a trade. M193 for Shield?? Ron

I am on the fence between the two guns . having both if you had to pick one , which one and why. thanks

WS6
04-12-13, 10:03
Right now they might be a pain, but I just bought one in-stock on the internet about 6 months ago or so. Call around/google is my best advise.

Ryno12
05-08-13, 16:46
Just received notification that the Shield 40 I ordered on 12/4 ($370 + shipping) is in. Should be able to pick it up tomorrow. I haven't even looked yet but I suppose mags are non existent??

Sent via Tapatalk

Trunkmonkey4
05-08-13, 18:43
Clyde Armory just got some in today, both calibers.

Traveshamockery
05-08-13, 20:07
Just received notification that the Shield 40 I ordered on 12/4 ($370 + shipping) is in. Should be able to pick it up tomorrow. I haven't even looked yet but I suppose mags are non existent??

Sent via Tapatalk

No, lots of places have them in stock.

http://gunbot.net/mags/mp/

Midliferally
05-08-13, 20:56
I have the 9mm. Paid $369 otd in Raleigh. Worst trigger I've ever pulled. Overly stiff, gritty, notchy, awful. Apex kit helped a lot. My advice would be to budget this kit when purchasing. Better sights are also needed . Gun is the cats meow with an Apex kit and some Good sights.

Briman1001
05-08-13, 21:27
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_758019_-1_757846_757837_image

S&W. they have both size mags in stock. Can someone guide me to the exact apex kit to use at a reputable site? I am not a fan of the trigger but otherwise love the pistol.

Ryno12
05-08-13, 21:29
No, lots of places have them in stock.

http://gunbot.net/mags/mp/

That's good news for a change, thanks.

I have the 9mm. Paid $369 otd in Raleigh. Worst trigger I've ever pulled. Overly stiff, gritty, notchy, awful. Apex kit helped a lot. My advice would be to budget this kit when purchasing. Better sights are also needed . Gun is the cats meow with an Apex kit and some Good sights.

Yeah, I feel like I'm late to a party. I was already planning on new sights. I thought the triggers were improved on the later models, or is that the full size I'm thinking of? I've done very little research on the Shield lately & was blindsided by the shipping notification today.

Sent via Tapatalk

MegademiC
05-08-13, 23:38
I would put a few rounds down range before dropping an apex in it. After 200 rounds and a bit of dry fire, the trigger improved drastically. I'm sure it's even better w apex by what ive read, but the gun already performs much better than ill need for its purpose. Of course, y'all may be more demanding of your shields. That said, nite sights are definitely on the list.

Edit- the trigger was rough at first but lightened up a bit, and it's now pretty smooth with tactile and audible reset, if you care about that. Still heavy, but the break is clean.

demkofour
05-09-13, 12:42
Try www.44mag.com they have six rounders currently available...

http://www.44mag.com/product/m_p_shield_40_6_magazine/smith_and_wesson

yellowfin
05-09-13, 13:07
Is there anything wrong with running 115 gr Hornady z-max loads as defense rounds out of the Shield, other than 115's simply not being in fashion right now?

wahoo95
05-09-13, 13:59
Is there anything wrong with running 115 gr Hornady z-max loads as defense rounds out of the Shield, other than 115's simply not being in fashion right now?

I prefer heavier loads from shorter barrels

wahoo95
05-09-13, 14:02
I would put a few rounds down range before dropping an apex in it. After 200 rounds and a bit of dry fire, the trigger improved drastically. I'm sure it's even better w apex by what ive read, but the gun already performs much better than ill need for its purpose. Of course, y'all may be more demanding of your shields. That said, nite sights are definitely on the list.

Edit- the trigger was rough at first but lightened up a bit, and it's now pretty smooth with tactile and audible reset, if you care about that. Still heavy, but the break is clean.

Yeah I added the APEX to mine and notcied a small difference in pull weight but thats about it. Not really enough for me to say it was a huge difference like in the full size M&P's. While I won't be removing my kit I don't go around recommending it unless someone happens to get an example with a horrible trigger...which seems to be rare if any.

MCS
05-09-13, 15:12
I'm running the CD 115s, but is do want to try the Critical Duty 147s.

Pappabear
05-10-13, 11:59
Yeah I added the APEX to mine and notcied a small difference in pull weight but thats about it. Not really enough for me to say it was a huge difference like in the full size M&P's. While I won't be removing my kit I don't go around recommending it unless someone happens to get an example with a horrible trigger...which seems to be rare if any.

I felt like my trigger was a bit heavy, but acceptable for a CCW gun. Not tons of grit or travel. I just put Ameriglow i dot sights. Very nice addition.

avengd7x
05-10-13, 20:59
trigger on mine is on the heavy side, but there is little "grittiness" and i don't get what the problem is since it's in the take up of the first stage of the trigger pull. the break is very crisp and that's more important to me.

blouzbee
05-11-13, 09:14
wow, im jealous of some of your guys prices. i picked one up 2 days ago at a local gun shop. 499.00. havent got a chance to shoot it yet.

dude at cabelas said they have been getting them in more frequently lately. handful every week, some weeks 9mm others 40. think they were priced around 550

duradster
05-11-13, 09:23
I prefer heavier loads from shorter barrels

Why is that?

MegademiC
05-11-13, 09:52
Why is that?

They lose less velocity compared to light bullets, which keeps them close the where they are designed to perform, velocity-wise.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=23210