PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a shotgun...need input

shaneinhisroom
01-18-13, 20:37
So with all this crap about not finding parts I need, and ammo too expensive to shoot, I decide I'm going to branch out my firearms knowledge. I don't own a shotgun. I saw that I can get 250 target loads for $60, so that sealed the deal- at least I can keep shooting until this madness dies down.

Here's my goals for the shot gun:

Reliable- different loads, from birdshot to slugs, 2.75-3.5",
Will most likely be using it for skeep or trap shooting, cheap fun
Possibly 3 gun as well.
Very much would like semi auto, although a pump is OK if the price difference is large enough without compromising the above.
Home defense is highly unlikely as I will grab one of my two AR's or my pistols first.

My budget can go up to a Benelli M2 ($1000), but I don't know enough to justify it yet. Convince me one way or another!

JBecker 72
01-18-13, 20:43
A few years ago I picked up a Mossberg 500 combo from a sporting goods store. Comes with a 18.5" cylinder bore barrel and a 28" fixed modified choke vent rib barrel. Paid $265 for it. Best $265 I ever spent on anything. About 5000 rounds of bird shot later and it still runs like a champ. I use it for skeet shooting mostly. I think I have only ran 200 rounds of 00 buck or slugs through the short barrel. Tons of target loads through the 28" busting clays.

Might be worth looking into for cheap fun.

RWK
01-19-13, 14:14
Based on your criteria, I'd recommend a Beretta 391 (clays) or a FN SLP (3-gun). Unless you find a good deal on a used one, the Beretta will be over your budget but, you'll never have to upgrade.

c3006
01-19-13, 23:11
Great deals out there on used Remington 1100s right now since the other stuff is so hot they seem to be down. Should find a good 26" 12 ga with screw in chokes for around $400 and it will do anything you want and be practically impossible to wear out.granted they are only 3" but unless you are duck hunting I can't see any need for 3.5". Good luck with your choice,it always pays in the long run to put some thought into it.

Ready.Fire.Aim
01-20-13, 00:24
I like short shotguns. Top 3 are 870s. Second is 870 with six round mag extension and light . The little one is a Serbu Shorty SBS with Knoxx folding stock. Tromix Saiga SBS with 20 round drum, and BWE Remington 1100 SBS with mag extension, it is my favorite shotgun, Richard Hoffman does great work.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/Aggie84/4c803d0036c41ac7e712e2bfdf577ca5.jpg

Bulletdog
01-21-13, 19:32
Your criterion seem at odds to me. Seem like your trying to use one gun to do the job of two or three.

For skeet and trap I really like the Beretta 686 line.

For reliability any shooting any ammo, I like the pumps. Mossberg is my preference because I don't like the location of the safety on the 870s.

I don't know enough about three gun to make a recommendation, but the guns I've seen used for that are pretty racey and tricked out. They seem pretty specialized to my uneducated eye.

I practice with my box stock Mossberg 590s on clays occasionally, so I know they are capable, but they are also great for just flinging lots of lead down range at anything you want. I can run it fast and I can get 100 yard hits all day with slugs. This might be the do-all gun you are looking for and it certainly fits your budget.

shaneinhisroom
01-21-13, 20:34
Thanks, I figured I was trying to do too much with one gun. I just bought a Remington 870 with wood furniture from Cabelas today, 28" with full and mod choke. It's going to be used primarily for trap and skeet.

I figured in a home defense situation I have my trusty AR and Glock, and I was missing out on a plain jane "fun gun". I also bought 250 rds of #8 shot, and will be going trap shooting this weekend.

Maybe if I get serious about 3 gun I will eventually save up for a M2 Tactical, but until then, this will get me by.

-one-
01-22-13, 10:30
You can always change the barrel, stock, and grip if you need it to do something else.

DarrinD2
01-22-13, 16:53
You will be pleased with the Remington 870, and be able to pocket or reinvest the savings into more training or firearms. My Mossberg 590 is the best value I ever bought and I got good enough that it even replaced my AR as my primary Home Defense gun (primarily a training issue; not a comment on AR vs. SG).

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-22-13, 17:42
It is very hard to beet an old 870. They can be found for less than $300 and the older the better.