PDA

View Full Version : PA gun rights

RobPT
01-18-13, 22:06
Hi all, this is my first post, and I must say not the best news. I have finally received a return e-mail from our senators in PA, Senator Casey states he will support the AWB as well as mag limits, Senator Toomey is non-committal. Any PA residents who value their gun right should contact these senators and let them know where you stand.

Split66
01-18-13, 23:37
Done and done. Join up with PAFOA.org of you arent a member of that BBS/Site. Plenty of good info, and organizational news for our cause in the Keystone State.

MrSmitty
01-24-13, 19:24
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/billinfo.cfm?syear=2013&sind=0&body=H&type=B&bn=357

Lets keep up the good fight. Pass this information on to anyone and everyone!

francis
01-24-13, 19:31
Horrible news about Senator Casey. I thought he was pro second amendment.

NavyDavy55
01-25-13, 04:16
I suggest simultaneous rallies at ALL of Casey's Pa offices.

MrSmitty
01-25-13, 09:06
http://repmetcalfe.com/guncontrol2013.aspx

Replicant
01-25-13, 12:44
Here's an article on his knee-jerk, about-face decision.
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20121220_Sen__Bob_Casey_changes_stance__supports_new_gun_laws.html

TommyG
01-25-13, 14:53
Another legislator who has held his nose and supported the 2nd in order to keep his seat. I wonder if we can muster the right candidate and the turnout to unhorse him the next time around.

chestercopperpot
01-30-13, 00:16
This is Casey's actual form response . . . "I support the 2nd Amendment, but I'm going to vote to take it away." Several others got the exact same response verbatim on the same day. Seeing as how he just got re-elected, he's obviously banking on people forgetting about this in six years . . .

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

As you know, on December 14, 2012, an individual in Newtown, Connecticut forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School and opened fire on teachers and staff in the building. In total, the perpetrator murdered 20 students between the ages of six and seven years old, as well as six adults, many of whom heroically sought to stop the shooter and save the lives of children. Like many Americans, I was deeply affected by the scope and brutality of this act. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

The motives that led to this senseless massacre will likely never fully be comprehended. However, I believe that all public officials have a responsibility to work to prevent such an event from occurring again. This incident reflects a complex problem that requires a comprehensive strategy, including funding for law enforcement officers and the mental health care system. Too many individuals with mental illness are not receiving the services they need and tragically, sometimes a small number of these individuals turn violent. I have supported access to affordable and accessible mental health services for all Americans and I will continue to review proposed solutions to improve our mental health system.

As you may know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. Pennsylvania has a fine hunting and sporting tradition, and I will defend the right to bear arms as it is enshrined in our Constitution. However, I also believe that the attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School highlights very serious dangers posed to public safety by the misuse of certain weapons and technology originally developed for warfare. According to reports, the shooter was able to kill many children and adults very quickly because he possessed a military-style semiautomatic weapon. He also allegedly used magazines containing up to 30 rounds of ammunition and carried hundreds of rounds more. After much reflection and careful study of the issue, I have decided to support a federal assault weapons ban as well as legislation restricting high capacity clips. In light of what occurred at Sandy Hook, these are two measures that will lessen the chances that this will happen again soon.

Our Nation has already begun a critical dialogue as we examine what steps must be taken to prevent this type of tragedy in the future. On December 19, 2012, President Obama announced the formation of an inter-agency task initiative, led by Vice President Biden, to study these issues and recommend possible actions. I look forward to reviewing these proposals, as well to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to address this complex issue.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,

Bob Casey

United States Senator

P.S. If you would like to respond to this message, please use the contact form on my website: http://casey.senate.gov/contact/

CoryCop25
01-30-13, 00:32
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=121952

Shooter07
01-30-13, 06:47
Casey has always been a limp wristed hack. I am confident that our state reps will back us on the 2nd Amendment issues going on right now and we have a very pro 2nd Amendment Gov. as well so that's a plus.

They key is keeping up the efforts on the phones and emails. We already won a huge battle getting the Eastern Sport and Outdoor show shut down because of those asshats running the promotion wanted to ban "assault weapons" and like equipment. It's things like that, that give us a voice and show the country we will not bow to the liberal agenda on the 2nd Amendment.

yellowfin
01-30-13, 10:02
We need to take the initiative gained from the EO&SS win and get semi auto rifles legalized for hunting in PA.

Shooter07
01-30-13, 11:53
We need to take the initiative gained from the EO&SS win and get semi auto rifles legalized for hunting in PA.

I've been saying that for years. It's asinine that with a state as big as our and with the number of hunters we have and public land, that we shouldn't have this law passed.

platoonDaddy
01-30-13, 12:53
Born and raised in Pa (left when I joined the military): all my relatives are still there and all have this comment: this is Pa, no way will our firearms be in harms way.

Forwarded them this link and hopefully they will appreciate on how much they are in harms way!

Told them that we have a state senator in Md who will submit a bill to ban all semi-auto: shotguns, handguns and the dredged long gun. Same reply, nah not in Pa. Well my dear relatives it is coming.

The hunters & shooters just aren't on the same playbook.

Shooter07
01-30-13, 15:16
I feel bad for the good folks in states like NY and MD, among others who have to put up with lunatic liberal nonsense. There is no way i could continue living in a state like that. I already told my wife, we will seriously start looking for alternatives if PA ever goes the way of the liberals.

Texas here we come!

MrSmitty
01-30-13, 15:51
The hunters & shooters just aren't on the same playbook.

This is 100% correct. I have many friends and coworkers that can't comprehend that I like to shoot pistols/ARs, but I don't hunt. Some of them are even starting to say that an AWB wouldn't be all that bad...

If these people are pushed over the fence by all of the false anti-gun BS then we may be in trouble...

I feel bad for the good folks in states like NY and MD, among others who have to put up with lunatic liberal nonsense. There is no way i could continue living in a state like that. I already told my wife, we will seriously start looking for alternatives if PA ever goes the way of the liberals.

Texas here we come!

You and me both, I always thought the weather sucked here anyway haha!

platoonDaddy
02-03-13, 20:58
Earlier in this thread, I commented about hunters & shooters not banding together: Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation (RMEF) is big here in Maryland and they aren't backing the march on Annapolis on the 6th. As a life member of RMEF, that really pisses me off!

kcara
02-05-13, 15:55
Another legislator who has held his nose and supported the 2nd in order to keep his seat. I wonder if we can muster the right candidate and the turnout to unhorse him the next time around. I would love to see him go, but we keep voting for democrats and Obama in this state.

Moltke
02-05-13, 16:14
So sad.

Pilot1
02-19-13, 07:30
Born and raised in Pa (left when I joined the military): all my relatives are still there and all have this comment: this is Pa, no way will our firearms be in harms way.

Tell that to the people in Colorado right now. I am from PA too, but lived in CO for many years. The libs have invaded that state, but have always been in PA, and as they contol more and more of the POPULACE counties outside Philly and Pittsburgh, this gun control crap is coming.

KiraX105
02-21-13, 20:15
I haven't gotten my reply from Casey or Toomey yet

February 21, 2013

Mr. A P. M

Bridgeport, PA 19405-1502

Dear Mr. M

As I work to meet the needs and priorities of our community and the nation, please know how much I appreciate having the benefit of your views. In response to your outreach to my office, I wanted to share my views regarding gun violence, particularly in the aftermath of the devastating shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

The Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was shattering for Americans everywhere. Though my sons are grown now, my memories from their first days at school are still vivid and my thoughts and prayers remain with each of the families and neighbors affected by this tragedy.

We have seen far too many incidents of gun violence in our nation. I believe that we must seek ways to increase gun safety and end gun violence. Surely, there are actions we can take that recognize the responsibilities of gun ownership, while we do more to ensure that guns do not fall into the hands of criminals or those who are mentally ill, and that would we enhance the safety and security of our homes, schools, communities, and our public spaces.

I have long sought action to achieve these goals. I am encouraged by the recent efforts by Congress and the Obama Administration to reach out to the many factions in this debate and identify meaningful action we can take to reduce gun violence. At the initiation of the Democratic leadership in the House, there is a new House Democratic Gun Violence Prevention Task Force, chaired by my colleague Mike Thompson, (CA-05), an avid hunter and Vietnam War veteran. I am a member of the Task Force and expect to be an active member. On January 16, 2013, President Obama took executive action by signing three Presidential Memorandums that streamline parts of the federal government to trace firearms in connection with criminal investigations, improve availability records for background checks, and conduct research into the prevention of misuse for firearms after hearing recommendations provided by Vice President Biden who led The White House's gun violence task force.

Since the shooting in Newtown, I've heard from many Pennsylvanians, including hunters, police officers and others who own guns, that there is much more we can to do to prevent criminals and the mentally ill from having access to guns in order to ensure that our communities, schools, and public spaces are places of safety and security, and I agree. Specifically, I believe we should update and re-authorize the Federal Assaults Weapons Ban; enact tougher criminal penalties against straw purchasing; end the gun show loophole that enables millions of people to be able to buy guns and ammunition without a background check; and ensure that we invest in mental health programs and treatment efforts.

I am currently working with my Democratic colleagues in the House to repeal existing prohibitions on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Institutes of Health (NIH), and Health and Human Services (HHS) to conduct crucial scientific research into firearm safety. Gun violence is a public health issue and public health agencies should have the ability to develop and pursue violence prevention and mental health research. I am also a cosponsor of several bills aimed at curbing gun violence including the Gun Transparency, Accountability and Enforcement (Gun TRACE) Act, which will enable the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (AFT) to release crime gun trace data to state and local law enforcement and the public; retain records of background checks on firearm purchases for 90 days; and require inventory audits of federally licensed gun dealers to prevent the illegal transfer of guns into the wrong hands.

One of America's greatest strengths as a people and a nation is our incredible resilience, and we must use that resilience to not only grieve together, but to work together to prevent another devastating act of violence.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can help in any way.

Sincerely,

Allyson Y. Schwartz
Member of Congress

P.S. - If you would like to stay informed of my work, you can visit my website, subscribe to my eNewsletter, or 'Like' my official Facebook page.

kcara
02-21-13, 22:38
I got a reply from Toomey and Casey. Casey wants the ban passed and Toomey is against it. :angry:

jpmuscle
02-21-13, 22:45
Cowards, all of them. And auditing FFLs? So much for the presumption of innocence. May as well just come out and say they think all gun owners are criminals by default.

KiraX105
02-22-13, 13:49
Got my reply from Toomey

February 22, 2013

Dear A,

Thank you for contacting me about gun control. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, January 16, 2013, President Obama announced a variety of gun policy measures in response to the Newtown, CT killings. I therefore value knowing your views on this important issue, which is important to me as I carefully review the President's proposals. Like many Pennsylvanians, I believe that Second Amendment rights are important and must be protected, but there may be areas of agreement with the White House that can be addressed to improve public safety. I also believe that people who use guns in an illegal manner or harm others with them should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

That said, we have consistently observed that mass killings are the result of serious mental illness. We therefore need to better protect ourselves from mentally ill individuals who seek to carry out such atrocities, including improved background checks. We also need to review and improve how we take care of the mentally ill. As I continue working with my Senate colleagues on both sides of the aisle on public safety, please be assured that I will keep your views about firearms in mind.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Pat Toomey
U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania

KiraX105
02-26-13, 16:33
And from the guy with one eye. Oh wait, wrong Governor :)

Dear Friend:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with my office to express your views on the important issues related to gun violence and school safety measures.

As a former law enforcement official, I certainly understand the importance of keeping violent criminals off of Pennsylvania’s streets while upholding our unwavering commitment to protect law abiding citizen’s Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. While no additional restrictions on the rights of law abiding citizens can stop violent predators intent on committing crime, there are a number of ways my administration is working to protect our schools, keep dangerous criminals off the street and provide care for those suffering from mental illness.

I believe that it is important to ensure the safety of our students against violent criminals. That is why I have proposed to invest $1 billion in our public schools with the privatization of our wine and spirit system over the next 4 years through my Passport to Learning Program. This proposal would provide funding for local school districts to invest in initiatives designed to fit the need of each school, including security programs to protect our students.

As part of our efforts to protect Pennsylvania’s communities, I was pleased to sign HB 898 into law on October 25, 2012. This law imposes strict sentences for those who participate in straw purchasing of firearms for individuals who are legally ineligible to own a gun. This measure is critical to our ongoing efforts to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals. It is essential that we equip our law enforcement officials with the tools and resources necessary to enforce our existing laws. For this reason, I have also proposed three additional classes of state police cadets in the next fiscal year. These classes will provide up to 290 new troopers to ensure that our State Police force retains the necessary man power to protect our communities.

It is also important to note the critical role of mental health policy in ensuring the safety of our Commonwealth. In my budget address for Fiscal Year 2013-2014, I have proposed investing $40 million to provide critical services to families and individuals affected by intellectual and physical disabilities, including people with mental illnesses. This additional funding will help provide necessary care to bring services to our most vulnerable citizens and enables them to live independently, safely and productively in our communities.

Thank you again for your correspondence on this important topic. I believe the action and proposals I have laid out will help protect Pennsylvanians. Please do not hesitate to contact my office with any future questions or concerns related to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
TOM CORBETT
Governor

The Office of Governor Tom Corbett
225 Main Capitol Building
Harrisburg, PA 17120
Phone: (717) 787-2500
Fax: (717) 772-8284
governor@pa.gov
www.pa.gov

platoonDaddy
02-26-13, 18:52
What a dumb bitch!
Out On Limb: Matthews's 'Rising Star' Says No Right To Gun Down Classroom Of Kids In Under A Minute

Chris Matthews featured her as a "rising star," someone who with more seasoning might someday entertain a presidential run. But newly-elected Pennsylvania Attorney General Kathleen Kane came across as more of a not-ready-for-prime-time-deer-in-the-headlights.

Appearing on today's Hardball, Kane came out with this mind-boggler: "I think the people of Pennsylvania would accept a limit on the amount of clips. You know, I believe and I think a lot of people feel the same way that you don't have a right to go into a classroom and take down a class of children in under a minute." Really going out on a limb there, Kathleen! View the video after the jump.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-finkelstein/2013/02/26/out-limb-matthewss-rising-star-says-no-right-gun-down-classroom-ki

francis
03-10-13, 03:00
Cowards, all of them. And auditing FFLs? So much for the presumption of innocence. May as well just come out and say they think all gun owners are criminals by default.

NYC already thinks that.