PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26 home stippled.

one
01-19-13, 21:40
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/goddamnit/Handguns/IMG_0288_zps97764bc8.jpg?t=1358652380

Older smooth frame G26 I've had since about 1997. I've always liked the gun but it's lack of checkering or stippling has always made it slicker than I'd prefer.

After attending a Vicker's class in Iowa where Larry was kind enough to let me run his stippled G17 I started doing the same to all of my Glocks and one HK. While I don't have the time or funds to send all of my stuff out for custom work I'm pleased with the results I got with my home stippling.

The difference now is almost equal to a completely different gun. In addition to the stippling it runs the Vicker's slide and mag release as well as Heinie Ledge sights. Internals are polished and - connector installed since the late 90's.

Another almost unnoticeable thing is I undercut the trigger guard. After years of running Glocks my middle finger's knuckle is deformed to a point it was painful. This modification has alleviated that to a large degree.

Enjoy or critique.

Grip
01-19-13, 21:43
Looks good.

I need handle a stippled Glock. Been thinking about doing it.

KrampusArms
01-20-13, 01:21
I would never stipple my Glock personally, but that looks good. Wouldn't mind seeing a few more photos. You've carried that G26 quite a bit huh?

one
01-20-13, 02:14
I can understand that. But for me it def. works.

Yeah it's actually probably got more rounds through it than any other gun I own save for a G17 and a 226R landing in there somewhere.

KrampusArms
01-20-13, 02:35
I can understand that. But for me it def. works.

Yeah it's actually probably got more rounds through it than any other gun I own save for a G17 and a 226R landing in there somewhere.

I got an A-Grip for my G26, as I felt like trying one out. It was way overpriced, but it feels more solid in my hand now. I think I would stipple a Glock if I had several of them.

tdoom15
01-20-13, 03:35
Looks good, ive tried that tree bark pattern on a few knives and am thinking about trying it on a gun next. What did you use to do the trigger guard? If a dremel, which attachment?

one
01-20-13, 04:18
What did you use to do the trigger guard? If a dremel, which attachment?

Dremel. The thinner sanding drum on a low speed.

Then followed it up with quite a bit of wet paper trying to sand it smooth.

The only thing I'm not certain how to accomplish is inletting around the mag release as I've seen done. Bowie and some others do a phenomenally beautiful job of that.

rainman
01-20-13, 05:20
Very nice job.

I have a G19 that was cut down to a G26 grip by Bowie, with tree-bark pattern...makes a substantial difference, and helps make up for the lack-of-place to rest one's pinky finger.

-Rainman

Airhasz
01-20-13, 05:38
Great stipple job! What type of tip did you use to create that pattern?

ResIpsa
01-20-13, 05:46
Can you tell us what tools and technique you used. I like the "tree bark" pattern, but haven't found much information on how to do it. Most of the information that i have found on the Internet relates to the dot pattern.

TurretGunner
01-20-13, 12:46
I use the skateboard type glock grip cuttouts on all mine. They are really nice and you don't bubafy the weapon.

one
01-20-13, 13:42
Thanks for all the replies.

First off one of the most important things to me that I don't see emphasized a lot is the prep work before the stippling. You really need to get all the lines of the grip panels out and checkering lines/boundries smoothed out as best you can to prevent any shadowing through the stippling.

As far as how I got that pattern I arrived at it by using the edge of the chisel tip. Not the tip itself and dragging down. Just tap down lightly over and over with the actual edge the same way you would with the tip if you were going that route. As a side note this pattern takes far less time to complete than the dot pattern.

In all honesty when I originally looked at the tree bark pattern years ago in pictures online I didn't like it. But after getting the opportunity to actually handle and fire a gun with it I was stunned at how much better tree bark grips your hand and works than dot pattern. At least to me.

Everything you see here was done with a simple wood burning tool from Hobby Lobby, or Wal - Mart.

Just remember shadowing of what was underneath needs to be gone and then lightly tapping the straight edge of the chisel tip over and over in a constant pattern. Grab a Glock mag loading tool or +2 extension to experiment on at first and you'll be amazed.

Lastly if it's too sharp in any spots just kiss it with some fine sand paper gently. Other than that all stippling I've ever used will eventually soften down under use.

SS1304
01-20-13, 20:09
I kinda like that. I just do not have the guts to take something to my gun and do that.

RagweedZulu
01-20-13, 22:02
I tree barked my G27 and it looked identical to yours OP. then I decided I didn't like tree bark so I took the same chisel tip and kinds "scrambled" it up. It now looks like an HK factory stipple. Better than home made dots and super comfortable against the skin. As that crazy-haired TV painter used to say... " Happy accidents..."

one
01-21-13, 00:23
I tree barked my G27 and it looked identical to yours OP. then I decided I didn't like tree bark so I took the same chisel tip and kinds "scrambled" it up. It now looks like an HK factory stipple. Better than home made dots and super comfortable against the skin. As that crazy-haired TV painter used to say... " Happy accidents..."

I'd like to see some pics of that pattern. Sounds like a pretty fair combination.

KrampusArms
01-21-13, 00:40
I'd like to see some pics of that pattern. Sounds like a pretty fair combination.

Yeah same here. Scrambled treebark. Lets see it if you're able to post a pic.