PDA

View Full Version : Colt USMC 1911

thopkins22
01-20-13, 02:20
Any dealers doing preorders with certainty of getting one this year? I do realize it's early to be asking...but I've got the bug.

Am I just not looking hard enough or in the right places?

I'm not tuned in at all to the 1911 market nor who I should be talking to, any help is greatly appreciated.

duece71
01-20-13, 05:49
Interested as well. I will be keeping a heads up for anything on this.

gan1hck
01-20-13, 06:45
me too...would love to get one to replace my Taurus.

Gary1911A1
01-20-13, 07:24
Heard on a YouTube video done at SHOT that it will be priced close to $2,000 and there would only be about 80 a year available to civilians through the custom shop. If your dealer gets one and you want it don't wait. It may be a long time until you see another.

gan1hck
01-20-13, 09:13
that's a real shame.

AJD
01-20-13, 09:23
I'm pretty sure that its going to be 80 per month, not year. The commercial guns will be built entirely in the Colt Custom Shop and will not receive any work on the production floor. FYI.

RHINOWSO
01-20-13, 13:09
Not a 1911 guy at all, but this gun interests me...

bigghoss
01-20-13, 13:56
I'm digging it, except maybe the ambi-safety. For whatever reason my SA Operator keeps wearing out extractors and if it has to go back again I'm going to make them send me a new gun. If that gun takes a dump I'm demanding a refund and I'll try my damnedest to get my grubby paws on one of these.

Blayglock
01-20-13, 17:21
Very cool. This is a testimate to the design for sure. I enjoy my railed 1911.

mrabe1979
01-20-13, 17:55
$2K is a lot of cash. But Id buy one if I had $2K burning a hole. :D

FAB45
01-20-13, 19:01
None doing preorders yet that Im aware of. Only 80 produced each month for civilians, I need one! Good vid here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwY-h1Xh6P0

bondmid003
01-21-13, 23:20
Stickman has some excellent photos. I'm a fan of the finish

sapper36
01-24-13, 07:18
WOW, I have got to find one of those. I just retired from the Marines in Dec and would love to have this, and shoot the snot out of it!

BiggLee71
01-25-13, 13:04
A a former Marine Infantryman and a dyed in the wool 1911 fan, this pistol looks to be a "must have" to add to my collection. Does anyone have any leads on how we could possibly get our mitts on one? Do we call Colt? call a dealer? Possibly find one on GB? Any suggestion's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Lee

d90king
01-25-13, 14:29
A a former Marine Infantryman and a dyed in the wool 1911 fan, this pistol looks to be a "must have" to add to my collection. Does anyone have any leads on how we could possibly get our mitts on one? Do we call Colt? call a dealer? Possibly find one on GB? Any suggestion's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Lee

Give it about 90 days and I think you will start to see them. If you run into a problem locating one ping me in about 30 days and I'll have my guy take care of you. I'm going to grab one too at some point. Looks to be a very solid build, but before I buy another 1911, I need to shoot the shit out of my Vickers Full-House Custom that was just completed.

BiggLee71
01-25-13, 21:40
Give it about 90 days and I you will start to see them. If you run into a problem locating one ping me in about 30 days and I'll have my guy take care of you. I'm going to grab one too at some point. Looks to be a very solid build, but before I buy another 1911, I need to shoot the shit out of my Vickers Full-House Custom that was just completed.

Thanks D90...much appreciated. As for your Vickers Full-House Custom...all I have to say is holy sh*t!!!!! That is THE ONE 1911 to have. A 1911 collector/afficianado/shooters dream pistol. Basically the "Holy Grail" of 1911's. Larry did a couple of quick, minor tweak's to my Ed Brown Special Forces when I attended his 1911 Operators course at South Hill about 4-5 years ago and then I was lucky enough to scoop up his Nighthawk Talon that was his personal T&E pistol when he was deciding whether to go forward with his Signature Line with Nighthawk. That one feels "special". But neither of them compare to having one of his Full-House Custom's. That is extra special for a 1911 guy. I would like to see that see that piece of functioning artwork one day. And yeah...I'll def shoot you a PM in a month or so. I just have a Noveske Light Recce NSR to finish paying off and then I'm all in on the Colt.

Guns-up.50
01-25-13, 23:08
It looks cool, but I think you could get close to the same out of a standard rail gun for quite a bit cheaper. I like it but I dont see whats $2000 worth out of it???

BiggLee71
01-26-13, 11:15
It looks cool, but I think you could get close to the same out of a standard rail gun for quite a bit cheaper. I like it but I dont see whats $2000 worth out of it???

I concur to some degree with what your saying Guns. Are there cheaper alternatives that would perform on the same level? Sure there are. We could probably get a 1200-1500 dollar alternative to perform the same BUT and this is the big BUT...How many of those are issued to USMC Recon and MARSOC Unit's? None. So I think its fair to say as a collector, we're paying the extra dollar's for the "exclusivity" of owning a true "issued" weapon. Another plus is the fact that Colt mfg's it. They are the original mfg who have been making these pistols for 101 years. Just like with their AR's, I'm sure Colt knows a thing or two about producing supremely reliable platforms that will last a long time. If I were in the market for a class/range 1911, I might look elsewhere. As a Former Marine Infantryman, I really like to collect any and all USMC related items. I once paid 8k for a real deal, genuine issue USMC Knight's Armament MK11 that was going to the 8541/Scout Sniper Section. Knight's had a production over run of 40. They sent a discreet email/memo out to people who had good relationships/good customers of Knight's. I was one of the fortunate ones to receive the memo. I quickly scraped up the money and made the purchase. Was they physical rifle itself worth 8k? No way. I'd purchase a LaRue OBR, great glass, mags, ammo and maybe a John McPhee class for a total of 8k BUT...this was an extremely rare opportunity to own a real, as "issued" piece of Marine Corps kit. The Military rarely...if ever lets the public get their hands on "as issued" firearms. Look at how Clinton had so many M-14's destroyed rather than sell them to John Q Public. Or more recently, the cache of M-1 Carbines found in Korea that Hillary refused to let back into the U.S so that we, the public could purchase them. So that's where the "value" lies. If I was looking for a "shooter", I would def look elsewhere. I guess it all depends on the intended "purpose" of your purchase. The old adage that "Mission dictates the gear" applies here. My mission was to acquire very rare, highly collectable firearm's that are actually used by our troops in harm's way. Mission accomplished.

sapper36
01-26-13, 14:18

Your right, but for me it's a special pistol. As a retired Marine that has a couple combat tours and a love of the 1911 I just want one.

Guns-up.50
01-26-13, 15:56
I concur to some degree with what your saying Guns. Are there cheaper alternatives that would perform on the same level? Sure there are. We could probably get a 1200-1500 dollar alternative to perform the same BUT and this is the big BUT...How many of those are issued to USMC Recon and MARSOC Unit's? None. So I think its fair to say as a collector, we're paying the extra dollar's for the "exclusivity" of owning a true "issued" weapon. Another plus is the fact that Colt mfg's it. They are the original mfg who have been making these pistols for 101 years. Just like with their AR's, I'm sure Colt knows a thing or two about producing supremely reliable platforms that will last a long time. If I were in the market for a class/range 1911, I might look elsewhere. As a Former Marine Infantryman, I really like to collect any and all USMC related items. I once paid 8k for a real deal, genuine issue USMC Knight's Armament MK11 that was going to the 8541/Scout Sniper Section. Knight's had a production over run of 40. They sent a discreet email/memo out to people who had good relationships/good customers of Knight's. I was one of the fortunate ones to receive the memo. I quickly scraped up the money and made the purchase. Was they physical rifle itself worth 8k? No way. I'd purchase a LaRue OBR, great glass, mags, ammo and maybe a John McPhee class for a total of 8k BUT...this was an extremely rare opportunity to own a real, as "issued" piece of Marine Corps kit. The Military rarely...if ever lets the public get their hands on "as issued" firearms. Look at how Clinton had so many M-14's destroyed rather than sell them to John Q Public. Or more recently, the cache of M-1 Carbines found in Korea that Hillary refused to let back into the U.S so that we, the public could purchase them. So that's where the "value" lies. If I was looking for a "shooter", I would def look elsewhere. I guess it all depends on the intended "purpose" of your purchase. The old adage that "Mission dictates the gear" applies here. My mission was to acquire very rare, highly collectable firearm's that are actually used by our troops in harm's way. Mission accomplished.

Gents, I agree with you being a former infantry Marine with a few trips under my belt. I too have guns such as this, including a M9 engraved with an Eagle Globe and Anchor and American flag, that has yet to be even chambered. I just think all you are paying for is the U.S.M.C.
I took an A1 in WWII replica and had a full custom job done to it and looks almost the same (minus the rail) for just 500 more than this 1911. All that being said it is a fine pistol and no faults for wanting one, I truly understand where you are coming from.

Semper FI

BiggLee71
01-26-13, 21:26
Gents, I agree with you being a former infantry Marine with a few trips under my belt. I too have guns such as this, including a M9 engraved with an Eagle Globe and Anchor and American flag, that has yet to be even chambered. I just think all you are paying for is the U.S.M.C.
I took an A1 in WWII replica and had a full custom job done to it and looks almost the same (minus the rail) for just 500 more than this 1911. All that being said it is a fine pistol and no faults for wanting one, I truly understand where you are coming from.

Semper FI

Guns, I wholeheartedly agree with ya my Brother. Its a setimental attachment to our Alma Matter of the Corps. I'm very proud of the Corps record of achievement as an Organization. As a matter of fact, Marines have performed so well, they almost transcend the old inter-service rivalry bs. I know many Army SF guys who have worked in the field with Marine Grunts and their working relationship was just phenomenal. Thats just one aspect that gives me pride in the Corps. The Brotherhood is another. There are just so many. I actually miss being in the Corps, miss the comeraderie...the "Espirit de Corps"..miss my Brothers. So I guess even if I have to pay sometimes a ridiculous premium, I just really enjoy collecting items our brothers are employing in the field as we speak. Semper Fi.

Ned Christiansen
01-26-13, 22:30
Has anyone read anywhere or heard, what's the deal with the oversized grip screw heads? Saw one at SHOT in the Colt display and the screw heads appeared to be a good .040-.050 larger in diameter. Anyone else notice?

CAVDOC
01-27-13, 17:13
Not a marine here but having an example of the latest usgi 1911 appeals to me. While it is limited to spec ops issue only, that the old pony gallops on warms my heart. With the new bs here in ny the old 1911 is again o e of the best pistols to have. If they are only going to allow 7 round mags they might as well be 45's

boogergoo
01-27-13, 18:17
I love 1911's but this one just doesn't do anything for me. I can definately understand what the attraction is for some of you guys though. Hope everyone that wants one gets one.

Coal Dragger
01-27-13, 19:07
Tally up one more former Marine infantryman that now has a serious hard-on to find one of these and buy it.

No collecting for me though, if I get one I intend to shoot the snot out of it every chance I get.

PlatoCATM
01-27-13, 19:51
Has anyone read anywhere or heard, what's the deal with the oversized grip screw heads? Saw one at SHOT in the Colt display and the screw heads appeared to be a good .040-.050 larger in diameter. Anyone else notice?

I have a Wiley Clapp Colt (talo model) that came with large head screws. I would never have known any better, but I bought some VCD grips and had to drill out the screw head pocket. Not certain if the ones you saw were the same or not, but I can measure them when I get a minute.

I get 0.310" on the calipers.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-15-13, 21:11
I saw one today and it had some ugly grips with goofy large screws. It also had a hideous bright tan finish with ugly scan/bar codes and writing all over the side. Of course I still want it.

azeriosu85
03-16-13, 01:14
I think some of you guys are forgetting something when it comes to cost. Yes a regular rail gun is about $1200 or so. HOWEVER. Paying $2,000 for the USMC means you get night sights standard, all parts hand fitted in the custom shop (worth more imo) tan cerakote, USMC on the slide. The hand fitting alone makes it worth that much

Dave Berryhill
03-16-13, 09:33

According to someone at Colt, the oversized grip screw heads were developed to keep the G10 grips secure. If I understood him correctly, there is a groove on the underside of the grips for an O-ring that is about the same diameter as the grip screw head.

G10 doesn't compress and they weren't satisfied with using an O-ring under the standard grip screw so the larger screw head and O-ring on the underside of the grip was developed.

When more of these get sold to the civilian market I'm sure that someone will post photos.

TiroFijo
03-16-13, 09:57
I've seen pics confirming what Dave says regarding the O-rings.

What I wonder about is: nice, durable grips but no frontstrap checkering? Are they planning to use skate tape or ??? Those grips are too nice to replace them with pachmayrs.

Dave Berryhill
03-16-13, 13:32
Colt could have checkered them if that's what the Marine Corps had asked for.

mradwin
03-16-13, 14:53
I had the good fortune to see some of these in the Colt custom shop, and to shoot one. I was very impressed. Even without any checkering on the front strap, the G10 grips provided a very positive feel. I'm no marksman, but I thought it also had a good balance to it.

Also, if you like the color combination they've chosen, I can assure you that the pictures don't do it justice. In person, they look even better. I generally prefer darker finishes on my firearms, but I really like the way these came out.

As for the price, you're paying for a very limited piece, and the fact that they are all hand fitted. You could buy a more readily available daily driver that had equal functionality and accuracy, but it wouldn't have the same kind of value one of these does/will.

For me, when they become more available to the public, I'm getting one.

TiroFijo
03-16-13, 15:18
Colt could have checkered them if that's what the Marine Corps had asked for.

I know. But as you know in the past they did not ask for checkering because they just used pachmayrs, even on the lot of springfield PROs they got.

So the question is: do they plan to use the G10 grips and no front strap treatment at all, or use grip tape or replace the grips if the user wants it?

DWood
03-16-13, 15:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYiT7XLyVqY

mradwin
03-16-13, 15:39
DWood, what was the point of your post? Did you miss the title of this forum? "A Forum Dedicated to 1911 Enthusiasts", not "Did the military make a mistake buying 1911's for our troops" or "Is the 1911 as good as a FNX45?". You're entitled to your opinion on those subjects, but I don't see how it has any relevance to this thread.

theblackknight
03-16-13, 16:24
Maybe if this gun was black, and didnt come with the rattlesnake skin looking grips or a barcode.

DWood
03-16-13, 17:37
DWood, what was the point of your post? Did you miss the title of this forum? "A Forum Dedicated to 1911 Enthusiasts", not "Did the military make a mistake buying 1911's for our troops" or "Is the 1911 as good as a FNX45?". You're entitled to your opinion on those subjects, but I don't see how it has any relevance to this thread.

I wasn't aware that we all had to agree to post something here. I didn't state an opinion one way or the other. I will now, thanks.

I love what I see about this 1911 and would love to own one. That said, I think it is a bad choice as a military side arm given the options available.

I put the link up as a point of interest. if you don't agree with it, ignore it.

Sensei
03-17-13, 23:45
I wasn't aware that we all had to agree to post something here. I didn't state an opinion one way or the other. I will now, thanks.

I love what I see about this 1911 and would love to own one. That said, I think it is a bad choice as a military side arm given the options available.

I put the link up as a point of interest. if you don't agree with it, ignore it.

Actually, I agree with you - it was a mistake for the Corps. Any of the pistols that you mentioned would have been a better choice (personally, I would have gone with the HK45 or 45C). The Corps went into this decision having already made up their mind to continue the tradition of using a 1911 for its recon elements. It was a dumb move based on emotion, not rational thought about actual performance. Somebody will pay the price and I doubt that it will be the brass who were involved in the decision.

Having said that, I'm going buy one because I'm a 1911 aficionado and this will likely be a quality 1911. Then again, I'm an individual, operating in a civilian/CONUS environment, and with vast resources to perform preventive maintenance. I also love the 1911 platform and collect pistols even though I've largely moved on to modern polymer designs for my daily use.

Had this decision been made 5 years ago, I'd say that it would be a relatively short-lived mistake. However, slowing of the operational tempo in CETCOM may allow the deficiencies of this platform to remain hidden for some time. The fleas will become more apparent if there is another conflict where thousands of pistols are being sent downrange to an inhospitable climate.

alvincullumyork
03-18-13, 00:48
Maybe i missed it somewhere but is this a series 70 gun?

din
03-18-13, 03:56
Maybe i missed it somewhere but is this a series 70 gun?

series 80.