PDA

View Full Version : New Colt - I'm in love!

jamesbern
01-20-13, 09:56
I just scored this yesterday at a shop. Came as shown with two other rubber grips and leather holster. Blueing is in great shape, small minor pitting near trigger in the trigger guard and also small amount near backstrap, near the back edge of the hammer. Otherwise it looks barely used. It has one of the best triggers I've ever felt on a revolver! I'm trying to figure out what year it was made. I felt the need for a snub nose for carry and was very happy to find this. I was considering a J-frame, but once I found this I new it was a required purchase. Plus I gain an extra round over the J-frame.

Hoping to shoot it later today.

Serial # is D05xxR. None of the websites I find have this area of serial numbers listed.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/jamesbernatchez/Colt-2_zpse49fa489.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/jamesbernatchez/Colt-1_zps8762ca6b.jpg

Vgex2
01-20-13, 09:57
Congrats. That looks fantastic.

warpigM-4
01-20-13, 10:28
really Nice wheel gun that is a sweet Colt.
One of the first handgun i ever shot was a 38 I still love them to this day even though I don't have one

SeriousStudent
01-20-13, 10:59
Great snag! :)

Every Detective Special I have fired has had a very good trigger out of the box, definitely better than most J-frames.

The only issue I have ever noticed is that it's just too big for pocket carry, then I go back to the Smith. Are you looking to carry it on your belt?

That really is a great revolver, and I'm envious. Have you thought about some new stocks for it? Maybe some rosewood? A pretty blue steel gun just begs for some nice wood to go with it.

Congrats again, and post some groups for us after you get a chance to shoot it. I bet you will be impressed. They tend to shoot very well.

gan1hck
01-20-13, 11:14
wish they would bring back the python.

DocH
01-20-13, 13:08
I have owned four of those.,still have one.They are extremely acccurate snubs.Love shooting empty shotgun shells with them.I like them much better than J frames. They are on my short list of all time favorite handguns.You'll enjoy that one.Great pick up.

RHINOWSO
01-20-13, 14:44
Jealous!!!

jamesbern
01-20-13, 17:21
I hit the range and put about 100 rounds of Remington 130gr FMJ through it. My middle finger knuckle is sore as I have big hands and recoil would drive my knuckle into the trigger guard. :D

It shot well, better than me. I haven't shot a revolver in a while so I noticed many of my shots in DA were being pulled down. Single action was much better.

My main requirement before carrying is to be able to quickly put rounds on target (8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper) at roughly 20'. This impromptu test shows I can at least keep rounds on target. It didn't have a problem with that. I think with more rounds and practice through it, it can only get better.

I just ordered 200 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 125gr Standard Pressure HPs so i'm looking forward for them to come in.

I also just ordered a Lewis Lead Remover kit as there is a bit of leading in the edge of the chamber. For me, i'd just like to clean it up as I plan to only shoot jacketed bullets in it.

Next up is trying to find a nice IWB holster for it. It came with a nice J W O'Rourke leather belt holster which i'm wearing right now.

SeriousStudent
01-20-13, 19:27
I've had very good accuracy with the Gold Dots in my two-inch revolvers. That was with both the standard pressure load you ordered, and the +P 135 grain loads.

DocH
01-20-13, 21:39
O'Rourke turns out some nice leather.Well made.

Wolfman131
01-26-13, 22:48
I just scored this yesterday at a shop. Came as shown with two other rubber grips and leather holster. Blueing is in great shape, small minor pitting near trigger in the trigger guard and also small amount near backstrap, near the back edge of the hammer. Otherwise it looks barely used. It has one of the best triggers I've ever felt on a revolver! I'm trying to figure out what year it was made. I felt the need for a snub nose for carry and was very happy to find this. I was considering a J-frame, but once I found this I new it was a required purchase. Plus I gain an extra round over the J-frame.

Hoping to shoot it later today.

Serial # is D05xxR. None of the websites I find have this area of serial numbers listed.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/jamesbernatchez/Colt-2_zpse49fa489.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/jamesbernatchez/Colt-1_zps8762ca6b.jpg

Beautiful Detective Special, one thing I do with my snubby wheelguns, such as the M19/66, or Colt dick specials, is I stay away from rubber stocks, and go with hardwood stocks instead. With a beautiful blued sample such as yours, I'd be looking to a dark, rich textured Rosewood, half checkered Ebony, or some such. Very neat purchase, all the protection a guy needs.

El Pistolero
01-27-13, 04:39
That is a beautiful gun. The Detective Special is my holy grail of snubbies. I hope to someday own one.

turbo38gn
01-27-13, 06:37
That is a beautiful revolver. I have several Colts and lots of Smiths in that frame size. There is nothing like a blued snubby..

boogergoo
01-27-13, 09:03
Beautiful gun! Congrats! I've never been much into revolvers but I'm starting to come around.

Big A
02-08-13, 18:48
I'm supper jealous. How's it shoot?

Every time I go to my LGS I'm always looking in the used gun case for good revolvers. I'm a sucker for wheel guns and the newer ones don't have as much appeal to me as the older classics.

Super cool Detective Special...:cool:

Hersh
02-09-13, 06:20
Man that's a nice find!

Packman73
02-09-13, 09:33
Nice! My wife has a nickle-coated one. I don't like the trigger pull as much as you do though.

jamesbern
02-09-13, 17:11
Nice! My wife has a nickle-coated one. I don't like the trigger pull as much as you do though.

The trigger is better than my Smith 19. It is one of the smoothest triggers on a revolver i've owned. For a factory trigger it's pretty awesome.

Shoots well too, better than I do. :D

DocH
02-11-13, 10:07
All the Colt triggers seem to "stack" toward the end of the pull just before the break.That is,all the ones I have owned and fired,but they have all had smooth triggers. Maybe not better or worse than an S&W,just different.
I've done many trigger jobs on Smith's,never did on a Colt.

FotoTomas
02-12-13, 14:45
All the Colt triggers seem to "stack" toward the end of the pull just before the break.That is,all the ones I have owned and fired,but they have all had smooth triggers. Maybe not better or worse than an S&W,just different.
I've done many trigger jobs on Smith's,never did on a Colt.

I am with Doc on this one... Just sold my 1971 vintage 2nd generation Detective Special. The trigger was smooth but stacked a lot and I shoot my "J" frame and "K" frame S&W revolvers better.

Just a heads up...The HKS speedloaders for the S&W "K" frames are the same as the HKS speedloaders marked "DS" for the dick special. I have a selection of both and used them interchangeably between my Colt DS and S&W M10 or M19.

Atlshaun
02-15-13, 18:40
That is a beautiful revolver. I love all Colts...i can't help it.