PDA

View Full Version : Iron Clad Armory Side Folder AK-74 Review

plouffedaddy
01-20-13, 11:08
http://imageshack.us/a/img802/3874/img1498ud.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img690/9480/picture5dv.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/9195/picture5xbf.png

I know a lot of folks are looking for information on these rifles that Iron Clad is building... I've got about 700 rounds through mine so far (headed to the range again tomorrow for a few hundred more) and here's what I've found.

Pros:

-Reliable. The rifle has had 0 malfunctions
-Accurate. As with most 74 type rifles, it's more accurate than most people think AKs can be. I've shot several 2'' groups at 100m with this rifle and 7N6 (to include the group in the video below)
-The CHF CL 1 in 8 RH twist barrel. As far as I know, these are the first US made CHF CL barrels out there. Not all ICA rifles come with these barrels but it's an 'upgrade' option they offer if you order direct from them (the other barrels they use are CL US made barrels from Curtis at akbuilder.com). According to the owner, they get the are sourced from MIL/LE supplier and then turned down in house by ICA.
-Gun Kote finish. I have several rifles with this finish and I really like it compared to other AK finishes on the market.
-The side folder stock locks up tight in both positions.
-Built on matching Bulgy parts kit.
-Cost. These rifles seem to go from between $700-$1100 depending on the options (milled/stamped receiver, Iron Wood or K-Var furniture, side rail/no side rail, CHF or standard US barrel, side folder vs standard stock, ect...)
-The receivers (both stamped and milled) are made in house by ICA so they offer the option for the buyer to pick their own serial number on the receiver. Not really a big deal but NoDak has stopped this option as far as I know so if it's something you're looking for they'll do it for you.
-They are CA friendly for you trapped behind enemy lines.

Cons:

-The only one I can think of in terms of the rifle is the slight indent in the receiver I talk about in the video but it really isn't an issue to me but I know it will be for some.
-Availability. Like everyone else these days, ICA is backordered. I think the wait varies on the rifle you order but last I heard it was 8-12 weeks.

Here's the video where I do a little shooting, show and discuss the barrel, take the rifle down, shoot a group with some 7N6, and discuss my experience with ordering from ICA:

Iron Clad Armory Side Folder AK-74 HD Video Review Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDiRs7T82jk)

Blayglock
01-20-13, 17:22
Thanks for the review.

RHINOWSO
01-21-13, 08:19
Sweet! If I was into AKs, one of the triangle folding stock versions like that would be what I choose!

shaneinhisroom
01-21-13, 09:00
With ammo prices the way they are, this is seriously making me consider. I can make up the difference of buying the rifle with 3000rds of 5.45 compared to 5.56.

RMiller
01-21-13, 09:10
They just supply the original Bulgarian mags?

Are you just using steel case ammo?

Those are some impressive results, no doubt the barrel is a contributing factor.

96 SS
01-21-13, 09:12
HF CL makes all the difference in the world!

Good review - and love the muzzle brake flash shots!

plouffedaddy
01-24-13, 13:44
They just supply the original Bulgarian mags?

Are you just using steel case ammo?

Those are some impressive results, no doubt the barrel is a contributing factor.

It comes with a Tapco mag; the Bulgy ones are part of my stash :D

I use 7N6 which is steel cased and corrosive ammo.

Doc. Holiday
01-25-13, 08:59
How does is compare to Arsenal or Krebs AKs?

plouffedaddy
01-25-13, 22:25
How does is compare to Arsenal or Krebs AKs?

Which metric are you looking for (finish, reliability, fit, ect....) ?

Doc. Holiday
01-28-13, 09:28
All the above.

plouffedaddy
01-28-13, 17:41
All the above.

I posted the below on another forum where a question about the WW74, SGL, and ICA was asked. I think it should answer your question...

I'll rank them in a few categories off the top of my head as I'm not looking at them as I write this:

Reliability:

Tie---All have been 100% with the exception of a bad bakelite mag I had that has had failure to feed issues in all 3 so I don't put that on the rifles.

Accuracy (these are a sample size of 1 ICA, 2 WW74s, and 1 SGL31 all with 7N6):
1. ICA
2. Waffen Werks
3. SGL31

Finish:
1. ICA
2. WW74
3. SGL31

Expected durability:
1. SGL 31 (proven CHF CL barrel and new parts)
2. ICA (mine has the CHF CL barrel but it doesn't have the history of the SGL's barrel yet) and the parts looked like they had very little, if any use when I got them)
3. WW74 (4140CL barrel and the parts kit on 1 of the 2 rifles I have seemd to show moderate use before I got it; the other didn't)

Bang for the buck in today's market:
1. ICA
2. WW74
3. SGL 31

Customer service:
1. ICA/WW (tie---both are excellent)
2. Arsenal (this is a HUGE margin between the top 2. Many here know my experience with my SGL-21 and its' trigger and trying to get that resolved [i.e. bang head against concrete wall---repeat] )

Availibility:

1. ICA (you may have to wait but you can confirm an order)
2. WW74 (they're being made but getting one from Atlantic or RRC seems hit or miss these days because they don't stay in stock for more than an hour or 2)
3 SGL31 (at the moment)

I like all 3 rifles and would have 0 issue trusting my life to any of them in a gunfight, which is what I suppose really matters, so it's really splitting hairs here. The SGLs are commanding too high of a price these days for me; likely due to their reputation over the others.

Doc. Holiday
01-28-13, 17:45
This is exactly what I was looking for. Awesome. Great info! Thanks for your homework!

twistedcomrade
01-29-13, 19:59
Great, informative review. I really need to stop looking at your review threads. They make my wants outpace my wallet.

Auto426
01-29-13, 22:20
I bought a Waffen Werks AK-74 from Atlantic last year. Beautiful rifle and the $700 price tag was too good to pass up, especially when the Arsenals were selling for right at $900. I haven't been able to shoot it yet because I have been too busy and my local shooting hole had been rained out almost the entire summer, but naturally right when I'm ready to go shoot it, ammo prices skyrocket and the ammo itself is nowhere to be found.

If they were carry these back then I might have went a different route. I wanted one of the side folders, but Arsenal and Krebs were about the only options and they were going for more than i wanted to pay.

plouffedaddy
02-03-13, 14:49
I bought a Waffen Werks AK-74 from Atlantic last year. Beautiful rifle and the $700 price tag was too good to pass up, especially when the Arsenals were selling for right at $900. I haven't been able to shoot it yet because I have been too busy and my local shooting hole had been rained out almost the entire summer, but naturally right when I'm ready to go shoot it, ammo prices skyrocket and the ammo itself is nowhere to be found.

If they were carry these back then I might have went a different route. I wanted one of the side folders, but Arsenal and Krebs were about the only options and they were going for more than i wanted to pay.

Crazy thing is Krebs hasn't raised their prices and they're now the same price as the WW74 some places :eek:

As for ammo, I recommend you get on the backorder at sportsmansguide.com. It'll be here in June (they usually get in sooner than SG estimates) and they're still only charging $140/tin. With coupons you can get it for around $130/tin.

96 SS
02-03-13, 14:52
Crazy thing is Krebs hasn't raised their prices and they're now the same price as the WW74 some places :eek:

I've been saying this for a couple years now. There is no real reason to not get the best: Krebs.

SSPigboat
02-03-13, 15:03
Great review, thanks

Vash1023
01-19-14, 12:23
video says private and cant view?

plouffedaddy
01-19-14, 14:16
video says private and cant view?

Yup. ICA screwed a lot of folks and the owner is facing multiple felony fraud charges. So, I can't have people sending them money based on my recommendations so I took the video down even though the rifle they built me runs very well and I had a good experience.

Vash1023
01-19-14, 17:36
damn, well good for you for taking down the video an keeping pople apprised of the situation.

also pm incoming.