PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Shield Failure to Extract

saddlerocker
01-20-13, 20:07
My brother just got a new 9mm Shield.

He has had 2 malfunctions where the spent case does not extract, the slide cycles and feeds the next round into the back of the spent case still in the chamber.

So far he has only shot WWB but has had 2 failure to extracts in roughly 120rds (2 range trips)
The first range trip he went by himself and didnt clean or lube the gun out of the box, so I said it could have had something to do with that.
So we cleaned and lubed it good and on the 2nd range trip he had the same malfunction (should have taken a picture I know).

I know WWB has a somewhat shallow rim that gave the older M&Ps some issues.
But I have not heard of the Shields having any extraction issues.
Im going to trade him some of my Speer Lawman and Blazer Brass for the rest of his WWB to see if we can eliminate the ammo as the problem.
I know he needs to put more rounds through it, but its unsettling to be having malfunctions on his new new carry piece.

Any thoughts? I assume its an extractor issue but I guess it could be the chamber?

morpheus6d9
01-20-13, 20:10
Try different ammo
Is he limp wristing ?
Did you shoot the gun as well ?

Sent from tapatalk while on the toilet

saddlerocker
01-20-13, 20:15
I know we need to try different ammo, that is certainly the next step, but imo it should shoot the WWB, 99% of other guns do just fine.

Yes I shot the gun, no issues

I dont think he is limp wristing, but even if he was would that somehow cause a failure to extract?

Wildcat
01-20-13, 22:00
Sounds like the extractor hook or the extractor spring.

How well does the extractor grip the casing if you slide it up the breech of a field stripped slide?

Remington (R-P brass) has a deeper extraction groove than Speer/CCI/Blazer.

OldGreg
01-20-13, 22:40
I'm not the OP, but....

...this happened twice during my first hundred rounds. Somewhere around shot #42, and then again a couple of mags later. I was shooting Winchester NATO 124gr. Q4318

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/Tonesnob/0720_zpsac90a0f7.jpg

ghost762
01-21-13, 00:10
All of the above and if that doesn't work send it back to S&W.

saddlerocker
01-21-13, 22:19
I told him id shoot it a bit while hes away for work (he doesnt get to the range much)

Hopefully things smooth out, but its gonna take alot of trouble free rounds to trust this gun.

ra2bach
01-22-13, 14:51
you might consider how if your grip touches the slide at any point. the Shield is so thin that I find my thumb riding either on the slide release or partially on the slide and has caused malfs like this...

Armati
01-23-13, 12:27
Not that I am against the Shield, but it's closest competitor (Khar) does not seem to have this problem.

J-Dub
01-23-13, 12:41
What problems? Has every single Shield had issues?

Could be the mag, could be the ammo, could be the shooter, ect, ect.

Hey folks, these weapons are mechanical things. They break, They malfunction. They are not 100%.

I love people that have 2 FTE's and act like its the end of the world. Everything will be ok. Why dont you use those malfunctions to work on your malfunction drills.

There is NO WEAPON that is 100%, ever.

ddnguyen9
01-23-13, 12:44
I have a 9mm Shield and I have had no malfunctions so far. Probably 500 rounds through it. I would send it back to S&W. I hear their customer service is excellent.

Littlelebowski
01-23-13, 12:55
Is he limp wristing ?

Not a valid excuse.

bobnieder
01-23-13, 21:02
I'll wait until I have several hundred rounds downrange to brag on my Shield, but I will say that they come brand-new very tight -- a lot of tightness in the mags, especially when fully loaded, and tbe double recoil spring is a bit stiff to rack, and these two things combine when you have a fully loaded, brand new gun. It'll loosen up, and some of the stiffness will work out as everything gets a little use. I'd put at least a couple more boxes of ammo down range before I'd jump to sending it back to S&W. Sure, they'll work on it , no problem, but why spend a couple weeks waiting for it to get back if it may work itself ou with a little more use?

BioLayne
01-24-13, 00:12
I have a 9mm Shield and I have had no malfunctions so far. Probably 500 rounds through it. I would send it back to S&W. I hear their customer service is excellent.

same here

jhatheway
01-28-13, 00:09
I'm guessing its the ammo.

saddlerocker
02-28-13, 18:44
Here are some pictures of the malfunctions.
All are generally the same. The fired case fails to extract fully/eject and the next round tries to chamber.
The pictures show 3 different malfunctions.

S&W said to send it back, so hes just going to do that.
I never did get to put a bunch of rounds through it, but he had 5 of these malfunctions through 300rds. To me thats unacceptable.
So we will see what S&W does with it.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6116/64557781.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/39/64557781.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/7650/21784816.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/21784816.jpg/)

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8018/60993375.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/60993375.jpg/)

morpheus6d9
02-28-13, 20:55
Here are some pictures of the malfunctions.
All are generally the same. The fired case fails to extract fully/eject and the next round tries to chamber.
The pictures show 3 different malfunctions.

S&W said to send it back, so hes just going to do that.
I never did get to put a bunch of rounds through it, but he had 5 of these malfunctions through 300rds. To me thats unacceptable.
So we will see what S&W does with it.

i wish you were able to put some more rounds through the gun before sending it back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Uqtz2asE4

i know the gun in question is a s&w and not a glock but it is a polymer frame

nimdabew
02-28-13, 21:05
If he doesn't want it, I will buy it.

[/tapatalk]

saddlerocker
02-28-13, 21:22
I would have liked to run more rounds too, but its his call.
He wants to carry this gun and right now its not trustworthy.

I forgot to mention he did use different ammo.
I gave him some Speer Lawman and PMC bronze which resulted in the last 3 malfunctions. So im pretty confident its not ammo related.

Darkop
03-18-13, 20:54
Is there an update on this shield? Did it go back to the mother ship for evaluation?

Until that day,
Darkop

saddlerocker
03-18-13, 21:39
Is there an update on this shield? Did it go back to the mother ship for evaluation?

Until that day,
Darkop

Yes it went back.
My bro emailed them earlier this week and they said they should get to it this week.

Does anyone know if they include any info on what they found/fix when they send a gun back?

Mac5.56
03-18-13, 22:42
I had an M&P15 go back to the factory back in 2009 (bought in 2008) after we ran the hell out of it and it kept failing to extract.

When it came back I did get a detailed list of what was done to it, but it was in "S&W Language" in that the descriptions for fixes where not anywhere close to the language I hear on this board. I had a hard time figuring out what was done to the rifle but I eventually pieced it together.

They never once told me what the "problem" was, just what was done to the gun.

jyo
03-19-13, 05:17
I say run some more rounds thru it---I have found that many issues go away as the pistol is "run-in." Be sure and properly lube it as well.

Rayrevolver
03-19-13, 08:04
If it is the ammo, what would case an FTE? A light load?

I shot WWB 9mm for years without issue.

A few years ago a particular case seemed to induce malfunctions. I had 3 FTEs with a M&P 9 Pro in 300 rounds. Total was around 3000 rounds. Prior to that, no FTEs issues.

The Pro went back to S&W. I think they did something with the chamber and feed ramp. Within the first 75 rounds I had another FTE.

I stopped using the WWB and went to AE. No issues for the next 1500 rounds.

Leftover WWB ammo recently FTE in another pistol of mine.

Traveshamockery
03-19-13, 18:46
Not that I am against the Shield, but it's closest competitor (Khar) does not seem to have this problem.

Really? One report and now the Shield has a problem? Come on.

saddlerocker
03-27-13, 13:57
Well, got the shield back today. They didn't include any info on what was done to the pistol, so I called and they told me they replaced the extractor and range tested it.
So well see. Probably won't be able to get out to shoot until the weekend.

saddlerocker
03-29-13, 18:05
Well, ran 150rds through it today and had 1 of the same malfunctions.

Disappointing, but we are going to run it some more to see if it persists again.

I got him to mark his mags, so we will keep an eye on the one that had the malfunction today, although I cant see how it could be a mag issue.

JTQ911
03-29-13, 18:17
I recently purchased a shield 9mm and had the exact same problem.

Shot a couple hundred rounds after a thorough cleaning/lubing and had 2 failure to extracts. Spent casing full/partially in chamber and next round trying to feed.

Both occurred with factory ammunition.

Sent it back to S&W, waiting to get it back.

Will update once I receive it back.

saddlerocker
04-13-13, 19:53
Just wanted to update again.

Since getting the gun back from S&W....
On the first range trip we ran 150rds with 1 malfunction of the same type around the 30rd mark. (Thinking here we go again)
My brother made 2 more range trips shooting about 250rds total with no issues.
I shot 70rds today with no issues.

However, it is chucking brass all over the place, hitting me in the head like a Glock. Although it may have been hitting the roof and coming back. Ejection is strong, just totally erratic.

Also my brother posted a topic like this on DefensiveCarry and someone suggested it may be from limp wristing. That doesnt seem right to me though. If he limp wristed then I would think it wouldnt strip the next round. The issue seems to clearly be the spent shell not extracting fully.
I ment to purposely limp wrist today and see if I could re-create the malfunction, but it slipped my mind.

Hopefully this gun settles down and proves reliable in the long run.
I also look forward to hearing about JT's gun.

Darkop
04-16-13, 13:24
I'm having the same issues. No less than 24 FTE's in several range trips and 600 rounds. 5 different factory ammo's and 11 magazines, that I numbered and found no correlation between mags and malfunctions. I tried different lube, cleaning, polishing the chamber etc. Finally got fed up and called S&W for RMA#. Sending it back to the mothership tomorrow.

Sad because my other three M&P's are problem free after thousands of rounds. I was hoping this Shield would be "THE ONE"

Until that day,
Darkop

saddlerocker
04-16-13, 18:59
I just impulse bought a Shield 9 today.

I didnt realize I live 5 minutes from E.R. Shaw, and they just opened a retail store in front of their shop.

I stopped in just to look around and they have one Shield sitting there they said they got in yesterday and were surprised it was still there.

I browsed around looking at some 1911's and their Mk VII rifles.

Then I bought it. $454 after tax.

I hope to god it doesnt have issues or I will sell it and buy an M&P9c, maybe spring for a PPS

saddlerocker
04-17-13, 18:21
Took out my new shield today and shot 160rds.
Not one issue.
All the brass ejected normally, unlike my brother's which chucks brass everywhere like a problem glock.

The only thing I can nitpick is that the Remington umc shot more accurately than my carry load of 147gr HST

Very happy so far.
I was a bit worried after my brother's experience and reading lots of other posts about fte

JTQ911
04-18-13, 20:32
Well, picked up the Shield from Fed Ex today. Opened it up and there was a sheet of paper. My contact information in the top right, the order # and serial number on the top left, and under the order #:

BR, 2M

Middle 5 inches of the page are blank.

Bottom: "If you have any questions regarding the work performed, please feel free to contact...."

What the heck does BR, 2M mean?

Hopefully the gun shoots! Maybe I'm just spoiled by Springfields Armory outstanding CS. Will post an update when I go to the range Sat.

saddlerocker
04-18-13, 21:03
I had to call the number to see what they did on my brothers gun
They weren't very detailed when I called either.

TWR
04-19-13, 20:44
Mine had light primer strikes resulting in misfires of course. I have about 250 rounds through it and wasn't waisting anymore ammo, I sent it back and the return sheet said they replaced the striker assy, recoil spring and modified the barrel, pistol is within spec.

Took it back out last weekend and about the 20th shot was another misfire. It also throws 4-5 empties at 3:00 or so and the others could land anywhere. A buddy looked it over and found the sear block was sticking, not letting the striker assy to fully reset. They have it again and I'm gonna call Monday to see what's going on.

JTQ911
04-19-13, 20:50
Well I called smith today and apparently they replaced the extractor and smoothed out the trigger that I complained was heavy and gritty. I can tell they replaced or looked at the extractor because the new one has a nice scratch in it.

Red falcon
04-19-13, 23:37
S&W has excellent customer service in my expirence, they'll definitely take care of it.

Bret
04-20-13, 16:07
I say run some more rounds thru it---I have found that many issues go away as the pistol is "run-in."
My experience over the years through quite a large number of firearms is that that rarely heal themselves. If you have problems with a gun, I recommend sending it back before you toss too much money away on ammo and become frustrated. My experience also is that the problem gets fixed less than 50% of the time. Send a letter detailing the exact problem and pictures. Heck, send video if you can.

1H11
04-21-13, 21:53
700 rounds no issues....eats whatever

Darkop
06-05-13, 11:27
I send my 9mm shield back to the mothership for repair. Just got it back a couple of weeks ago and now it runs great. The repair order said that they replaced the extractor and the barrel. I'm not sure if there was a problem with the barrel or if they replaced it because I had polished the chamber.

One interesting issue is when I first got this gun I had to drift the front sight to center the POI. When I took it to the range after repair And the barrel replacement, I had to center the front sight again to recenter the POI, so maybe there was something wrong with the barrel. 400 rounds now with NO FTE/E!

Until that day,
Darkop

Gary1911A1
06-05-13, 11:46
Glad your Shield is working well for you now.

websniper
07-05-14, 12:17
Necro-thread bump. I have a brand new safety-less Shield that is doing the exact same thing as OP's gun. I've contacted S&W for an RMA already. The pics of the stoppages almost EXACTLY mimic the failures I've had.

davebee456
02-19-16, 21:29
I cant believe my luck, 200 rounds and 3 of these failures, and in my opinion these are the kind of fails that cant be tap rack rack rack fixed....
SUCKS. I shot a rental gun shield way better than my glock 43 so I sold the glock 43 and bought one yesterday. messed up i think.
called smith today.

Darkop
02-20-16, 14:14
Just get an RMA from S&W and send it back. They replaced the barrel and extractor on mine and its ills were cured!