PDA

View Full Version : I found it and made the decision: New Glock 23!!!

RMiller
01-21-13, 13:01
Been having a hell of a time locating a sub-compact Glock let alone a 23 model around here. Stopped into the local GS today and while fondling an AK spotted a Glock through the counter..... Could it be?!? Hastily put the AK down and headed over. Tag read NEW GLOCK 23....... Price, price , price..... $500?!? Hell yea. :eek:

Immediately asked to see it, felt like it had a trigger job, best Glock trigger I've had the pleasure to feel. Good feel, small enough to carry, and ........ SOLD. Took the down payment out and set it on "same as cash" layaway. Should have it paid off within the month. Can't wait! :dance3:

ddnguyen9
01-21-13, 13:03
Nice. Post pics when you get it!

RMiller
01-21-13, 13:28

I certainly can.

I'm sure I'd better scrounge for some mags. Luckily it being new, 2 13 rd come with it.

ddnguyen9
01-21-13, 13:38
What kind of sights are on it? Standard or Night sights?

RMiller
01-21-13, 14:09
Standard I believe. Like this.

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s424/Rmillerm4/image-34_zps47028af6.jpg

Lawnchair 04
01-21-13, 14:11
Nice find, I carry a 23 daily. Best part is I have a drop in 357 sig barrel and a lone wolf 40-9 barrel for it. I think you'll be happy with that one.

El Cid
01-21-13, 14:42
Been having a hell of a time locating a sub-compact Glock let alone a 23 model around here. Stopped into the local GS today and while fondling an AK spotted a Glock through the counter..... Could it be?!? Hastily put the AK down and headed over. Tag read NEW GLOCK 23....... Price, price , price..... $500?!? Hell yea. :eek:

Immediately asked to see it, it obviously had a trigger job, best Glock trigger I've had the pleasure to feel. Good feel, small enough to carry, and ........ SOLD. Took the down payment out and set it on "same as cash" layaway. Should have it paid off within the month. Can't wait! :dance3:

I'm confused... How does a new gun have a trigger job?

Either way, congrats on the find.

RMiller
01-21-13, 15:39
I'm confused... How does a new gun have a trigger job?

Either way, congrats on the find.

I'm figuring they polished everything. Not sure if that would constitute a trigger job.

Bulletdog
01-21-13, 18:18
Congrats on the find.

I too have never heard of a Glock coming from the factory with a trigger job and certainly not at that price. Is this something new?

I've carried and shot my 23 more than any other Glock. Love it. I'm assuming yours will be a Gen 4?

RMiller
01-21-13, 18:28
After talking to a couple buddies this GS has a habit of taking new Glock pistols and polishing the trigger parts.

It's done by the gunshop, like grants here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103781&highlight=Glock+trigger+job

RMiller
01-21-13, 18:29
Congrats on the find.

I too have never heard of a Flock coming from the factory with a trigger job and certainly not at that price. Is this something new?

I've carried and shot my 23 more than any other Glock. Love it. I'm assuming yours will be a Gen 4?

Yes, Gen 4.

ST911
01-21-13, 18:32
I would ask them to remove any component they "improved" and replace it with untouched OEM replacements.

FAB45
01-21-13, 19:03
I would ask them to remove any component they "improved" and replace it with untouched OEM replacements.

This! It's just a personal preference but I would want a new one stock as it comes. Congrats on the new purchase though! The 23 will keep you happy for a long time, used to be my primary carry, then I switched to the 19 (which I shoot better under stress).

RMiller
01-21-13, 19:04

Was there anything wrong with the trigger job done in the above thread?

From what I'm being told that's how it's done.

That's even if it is done. I'm only speculating. It just has a really good trigger compared to any other Glock I've handled.

RelliK
01-21-13, 20:14
Nice work, throw us up some pics when you can.

ST911
01-21-13, 20:47
Was there anything wrong with the trigger job done in the above thread?

From what I'm being told that's how it's done.

That's even if it is done. I'm only speculating. It just has a really good trigger compared to any other Glock I've handled.

Glock triggers vary. One recent delivery was excellent, the other really crunchy. I recommend taking them as they come, shooting them for awhile, and seeing where they go. Polish jobs can screw up reliability, and I've replaced a lot of components as a result of ".25 cent trigger jobs." Another option for a better trigger is to swap connectors and trigger bars until you find a combo more agreeable.

Ask the shop what they did, who did it, and why.

Nice work, throw us up some pics when you can.

I bet it looks like this: http://us.glock.com/products/model/g23gen4

http://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/l/glock23gen4.jpg

RMiller
01-21-13, 22:06
I bet it looks like this:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/l/glock23gen4.jpg

Yea! That's about right! Lol.

As for the trigger, I might just have hit a good one. I will ask for sure if they did anything.

RBid
01-21-13, 23:58
I'm generally a 9mm guy. My PPQ is my favorite pistol. When the insanity hit, I watched 9mm and .45 dry up, while .40 was still available. After resisting until this point, I decided to pick up a .40 so that I could improve my chances of finding rounds.

I work for a dealer, so I've been face to face with the reality of owning firearms without a ton of market support. I also knew that I didn't like the PPQ or P99 AS in .40, and I wanted to stick with a polymer frame, striker fire, and a mid size platform.

Glock 23 was an easy choice. I got a 22 and a 31 for it about 3 weeks ago, and I picked up an unused LE (dept of corrections) trade in, Glock 23 (Gen 3) with 3 mags today.

I'm probably done buying new pistols for awhile. Going to get a tac light, more mags, holsters, and sights taken care of.

TriviaMonster
01-22-13, 01:10
My main carry is a Glock 23 3rd Gen. I thinks its a good compromise of caliber and mag size. Plus .40 is way easier to find in my area right now. I shoot it well, on par with my old 17. Get some 10-8 or Redback One sights.

Its funny how we never traded a little bit of freedom of religion after the Jonestown Massacre.

CaptainN8
01-22-13, 06:14
Nice buy, I too started with carrying a G23. During the last ammo 'crisis' .40 ammo was all that could be found, but I feel like I shoot it very well. Now I prefer to carry my 19 mostly because of ammo capacity.

Littlelebowski
01-22-13, 06:44
Facebook post.

RMiller
01-22-13, 07:23
Facebook post.

Facebook?! Nahhh

Checking in with Coffman Concealment about a holster. If it turns out like my carbine mags, I'll be happy with it. Good work.

WNY_Whitetailer
01-22-13, 08:36
I love my Gen 4Model 23...Now I have my dept. issued Gen 4 Model 22, my Model 27, & the new 23...Love shooting all of them.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

GunBugBit
01-22-13, 10:03
My one Glock is a G23. It's one of my main carry guns. Even though I like shooting 1911s more, I prefer to carry the Glock for its lightness and concealability. I also like that there never seem to be availablity problems with .40 S&W ammo.

ST911
01-22-13, 12:06
Ammo availability is very vendor and area dependent. Not to mention particular p/ns. I remember 9mm being in critically short supply last time, and 40 being abundant. My experience this time around is the opposite on both the gov and comm side. I can get what I want or need in 9mm, but 40 is trending toward scraps.

DocH
01-22-13, 14:03
I'm actually finding more good .40 loads in stock at the vendors I use than 9mm. Time for a G22 as a supplement ,I guess. It's all pretty scarce,but I'm seeing .40 in stock where 9 is sold out. Mainly HST's.

RMiller
01-22-13, 14:39
Contacted the GS, and my particular Glock was not touched. Which means the 23 just came with an excellent trigger.

bondmid003
01-22-13, 20:25
I have many Glocks and one is a police trade in 23. Still an excellent gun after duty use.

RMiller
02-07-13, 08:52
Can anybody recommend a good conceal holster for the Glock 23?

Hogsgunwild
02-07-13, 13:01
Can anybody recommend a good conceal holster for the Glock 23?

I have used the CompTac MTAC for the better part of a decade now.
The best feature is the ease of which you can change the cant and level for the holster for IWB. Once you buy the holster, you can buy extra polymer shells for $30.00 to use it for different types of guns.

Last year, I picked up two more complete holsters that were designed for AIWB. I do not carry AIWB but decided that the minimal angle / cant that these holsters allow was perfect for my current carry style
(kind of like "Mexican carry" but with a holster). You can still adjust them for a good amount of cant if you want to.

These holsters are very comfortable for me and allow for minimal printing. After having a few of the excellent Milt Sparks leather Versa Max IIs, I went back and stuck with my MTACs because they were just so flexible in regards to how you could adapt them to orient different types of guns to the best position for that particular size and type of gun.

I have never cared for the all polymer types of holster for IWB carry but have never tried the Ravens that a lot of people swear by. I do have two that are very similar to the Ravens and could not stand them. These two do not contour to my body nearly enough and I suspect other manufacturers like Raven probably do a better job of contouring them. Feels like I have a 2x8 stuck in my pants.

Talon167
02-07-13, 13:56
I certainly can.

I'm sure I'd better scrounge for some mags. Luckily it being new, 2 13 rd come with it.

Yes, Gen 4.

If it’s a gen4, is should come with three mags.

Insta-Gator
02-07-13, 14:00
Congrats on the new Glock.

If you are offended by anything in this post, then my efforts have been rewarded. :D Tapatalk+Autocorrect

brickboy240
02-07-13, 14:30
I use a Raven Phantom with my G19 for concealment....since the G23 is the same size....it ought to work just as well.

-brickboy240

RMiller
02-07-13, 14:36
Does anybody have experience with that new Haley strategic holster??

Ranger45
02-07-13, 19:07
Congrats! I can't decide between the G23 or G30 for my next Glock. I'm tempted to go with the G23, and then pick up a G32 barrel to go along with it.

kantstudien
02-07-13, 20:23
Nice find, some Glocks come with awesome trigger straight from the factory. Others don't feel right no matter what you do to them. Just a matter of tolerance stacking I suppose...

But I doubt the shop polished anything. The way guns are moving right now, they probably hardly have time to open the box before it gets sold. Highly unlikely they have time to screw around and "polish" parts while waiting around for business to come to them.

cgjane
02-07-13, 21:28
I love my 23 gen 4 FDE

Have a 40-9 barrel and a 357sig barrel and you have 3 guns in 1.

Best gun in the world.

I use a comptac infidel for iwb carry.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/gw4k/64114D5D-43F0-4EFA-BA97-5A991CE640DE-1740-00000186EBC4AA71_zps74f157f4.jpg

Smirak
02-08-13, 07:23
If it’s a gen4, is should come with three mags.

You haven't addressed this. Gen 4s come with three mags...that's the way it was shipped to the LGS from Glock. Make sure you get that third mag and if they say no, I'd be cautious. Read of some dealers out there that take the third mag out of the shipments and sell them separate to make some extra coin!

Kevin

RMiller
02-08-13, 07:29
You haven't addressed this. Gen 4s come with three mags...that's the way it was shipped to the LGS from Glock. Make sure you get that third mag and if they say no, I'd be cautious. Read of some dealers out there that take the third mag out of the shipments and sell them separate to make some extra coin!

Kevin

I've been told by more than one actual glock dealers that they've been showing up randomly with either 2 or 3 lately. My dads G22 came with 3 from the same dealer.

Smirak
02-08-13, 07:32
I've been told by more than one actual glock dealers that they've been showing up randomly with either 2 or 3 lately. My dads G22 came with 3 from the same dealer.

I'd verify that with Glock. I remember seeing somewhere (could have been another forum) Glocks response to gen 4s being sold with only 2 mags...not the good word from glock to say the least...

ETA: Ask to see the box...check the serial number on the box to the gun you're wanting to buy to make sure he gave you the correct box...the box states how many mags its supposed to have...it's on one of the stickers...

RMiller
02-08-13, 07:46
I'd verify that with Glock. I remember seeing somewhere (could have been another forum) Glocks response to gen 4s being sold with only 2 mags...not the good word from glock to say the least...

ETA: Ask to see the box...check the serial number on the box to the gun you're wanting to buy to make sure he gave you the correct box...the box states how many mags its supposed to have...it's on one of the stickers...

That's a good plan. If it was supposed to come with 3 you bet your ass they'll be making it right.

Smirak
02-08-13, 07:51
That's a good plan. If it was supposed to come with 3 you bet your ass they'll be making it right.

One other thing...the label should state how many mags as well as the capacity...so, if you question them on it, and they do "relent", make sure you get the 3 13 round mags, not 2 13 round and one 10 round...

Now, considering the current climate, at $500 for the gun and only 2 mags, I'd probably still buy it, but wouldn't ever step foot in the door again...that's just my two cents worth...mags are out there...my two LGS get the. In stock quite often.

RMiller
02-08-13, 07:55
One other thing...the label should state how many mags as well as the capacity...so, if you question them on it, and they do "relent", make sure you get the 3 13 round mags, not 2 13 round and one 10 round...

Now, considering the current climate, at $500 for the gun and only 2 mags, I'd probably still buy it, but wouldn't ever step foot in the door again...that's just my two cents worth...mags are out there...my two LGS get the. In stock quite often.

Either way I've picked up extra mags.

wraw88
02-11-13, 04:39
Great choice. Practice makes perfect with that little kicker

RMiller
02-20-13, 14:54
I picked it up today! Finally!

loaded6shooter
02-20-13, 16:18
I picked it up today! Finally!

NOW GO SHOOT IT!

I love my gen3 23, about a month after the panic i went into my local gun store and they were out of every 10+ magazine EXCEPT a whole rack of full G23 13 rounders. I hopefully now have more mags than i ever need lol

RagweedZulu
02-20-13, 23:45
I love my Gen3 23. I've had it worked over by Robar and it is one great feeling/looking pistol. Maybe my favorite. I've been on the road teaching a lot lately and have been carrying my 23 instead of my issued duty pistol. Love it. Backed up by two 15 round mags on my weak side, this package wears very comfortably under a light jacket. I was operating in shady neighborhoods today and it was great to have the 23 and all those 180 grain Ranger Ts on me.

RMiller
03-05-13, 14:28
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s424/Rmillerm4/image-34_zps3cf0f132.jpg

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s424/Rmillerm4/image-34_zpsf5e8a549.jpg

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s424/Rmillerm4/image-34_zps87d39d20.jpg

RMiller
03-09-13, 08:05
Found a Safariland ALS holster for it. One thing I find lacking are the SIGHTS. I marked over the rear white part, that helped, but not good enough.

Magic_Salad0892
03-09-13, 22:51
Found a Safariland ALS holster for it. One thing I find lacking are the SIGHTS. I marked over the rear white part, that helped, but not good enough.

Hit up 10-8 performance, they make some great sights.

TriviaMonster
03-10-13, 04:31

I have the Redback One version on my G23. I have also tried the regular 10-8s and they are superb.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RMiller
03-10-13, 10:26

I have the Redback One version on my G23. I have also tried the regular 10-8s and they are superb.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It just so happened the sights that stood out to me were 10-8's and especially the redback one versions.

These plastic sights won't last long. The front is already showing signs of being worn down from the holster.

Time to start saving!