PDA

View Full Version : Red dot on handgun

StR8ShOoTeR87
01-21-13, 17:15
Anybody have a mini red dot on their pistol. I got a fastfire on my g17 and I am much more accurate now, although not much faster yet. Have you found that you are faster, more accurate since adding the sight? Oh and of course pix :D

Ryno12
01-21-13, 19:04
Got a Fast Fire II mounted to a G20SF with a 6" Storm Lake barrel that I use for deer hunting. Zero'd at 50yds. Accurate enough for my needs.

StR8ShOoTeR87
01-21-13, 19:20
Got a Fast Fire II mounted to a G20SF with a 6" Storm Lake barrel that I use for deer hunting. Zero'd at 50yds. Accurate enough for my needs.

Zero'd at 50yds

How does it do at close quarter distance,? lets say room to room, 5-7 yards? Thats what I chose to zero mine at.

Ryno12
01-21-13, 19:27
Zero'd at 50yds

How does it do at close quarter distance,? lets say room to room, 5-7 yards? Thats what I chose to zero mine at.

Like I said, I use it for deer hunting. I don't foresee a deer a getting within 5-7 yds of me. If it did though, it'd be dead. The sight, after all, is only a half inch above the muzzle.

bikerdog
01-21-13, 19:29
14957 I found that i am much faster from about 10 yards and further. Under 10 it is a wash between the two. But the red dot is much more accurate.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Alaskapopo
01-22-13, 02:41
Zero'd at 50yds

Its not a good idea to zero that close as your rounds will be off a lot past that range. 50 yards is a good zero and you will only be slightly low at 7 yards. (just the amount of the sight over the bore) if you zero for 7 yards and need to take a 30 yard shot you will be about 1 foot high. Also at 7 yards you really don't need the dot just put the bad guy in the window. The dot comes into its own at longer ranges. At close ranges these optics are actually slower than irons.

Pat

StR8ShOoTeR87
01-22-13, 12:17
Its not a good idea to zero that close as your rounds will be off a lot past that range. 50 yards is a good zero and you will only be slightly low at 7 yards. (just the amount of the sight over the bore) if you zero for 7 yards and need to take a 30 yard shot you will be about 1 foot high. Also at 7 yards you really don't need the dot just put the bad guy in the window. The dot comes into its own at longer ranges. At close ranges these optics are actually slower than irons.

Pat

thanks for the knowledge, i will zero at 50 next time at the range and see how that goes.

jamaicanj
01-22-13, 16:31
Mark Housel installed a rmr on my g17. I love it

ddnguyen9
01-22-13, 17:16
Mark Housel installed a rmr on my g17. I love it

+1. Sent Mark my G17 slide and RMR. I received it back in less than two weeks. It runs flawlessly.

kodiakpb
01-22-13, 18:37
I have a RMR07 on a Glock 19. I'm pretty happy with it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/23/a7u4y5aq.jpg

StR8ShOoTeR87
01-22-13, 18:45
I have a RMR07 on a Glock 19. I'm pretty happy with it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/23/a7u4y5aq.jpg

awesome! how is the accuracy from 5-50 yards?

kodiakpb
01-22-13, 19:05
awesome! how is the accuracy from 5-50 yards?

It's very accurate

Five_Point_Five_Six
01-22-13, 19:09
I need to find a spare slide so I can have it milled out to accept a RDS.

kodiakpb
01-22-13, 19:21
I need to find a spare slide so I can have it milled out to accept a RDS.

Available if you have a 19

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-firing-parts/slides/tactical-rmr-slide-for-glock-prod45253.aspx

Maize
01-23-13, 09:28
Available if you have a 19

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-firing-parts/slides/tactical-rmr-slide-for-glock-prod45253.aspx
Not in Gen 4 though.

jamesavery22
01-23-13, 13:46
http://i.imgur.com/CGzVxFT.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsNu4KB_h_w

If I'm actually aiming and focusing on something the size of a fist, no matter how close or far that fist is, than I'm much faster with an RMR.

kodiakpb
01-23-13, 17:50
Not in Gen 4 though.

Correct, if you have a Gen 4 you will need to get the slide milled.

kodiakpb
01-23-13, 17:53
Here is a pic of my RM07 at a few different intensity levels.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/24/eda5e9az.jpg

StR8ShOoTeR87
01-24-13, 01:36
Here is a pic of my RM07 at a few different intensity levels.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/24/eda5e9az.jpg

Awesome. they should make an auto brighteness rmr.

Airborne Infantryman
01-24-13, 02:21
Love my RMR'ed pistols.

IMHO, it takes some getting used to, as far drawing from a holster, and the initial presentation of the pistol, but once you get it down, its amazing fast and makes longer range hits insanely easy.

A few of mine- all of them are suppressor hosts.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8215/8333996046_40e5dcda57_b.jpg

All of my RMR's are the Dual-Illuminated RM05 (9 MOA dot). The picture below doesn't accurately represent the size of the dot. In person, the dot is slightly less wide than the .125 wide front tritium suppressor sight.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8323/8087557492_fce064447f_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8508/8375177199_7801cd9fc8_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8091/8371574845_f3b1befc65_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8358/8356410036_4aaab415f8_b.jpg

akrapovic
01-24-13, 06:23
I ran an RMR on my 17 for a bit. I also found that longer distance shots were VERY easy compared to irons. I did notice that I was slower with CQB distances. I'm sure that could be fixed with more training. Issue was getting used to picking up the dot quickly.

StR8ShOoTeR87
01-28-13, 13:09
I found with my fastfire on my g17 that repetitive holster draws in my home allowed me to pick up the dot much quicker.

goteron
01-28-13, 21:44
I shoot RM02s on M&P9 FS guns and have even very happy with them.

I believe the RM02 or T/H-1 is the best all around optic for most users.

Atlshaun
01-28-13, 22:00
Interesting setups. Not my thing, exactly, but interesting.

duece71
01-28-13, 22:38
I thought about having one of my Glocks milled for an RDS setup. At the time, it was too cost prohibitive for me. However, I may take another look. One of the shops that mills Glock and M&P slides is not far from me.

jonconsiglio
01-29-13, 00:23
Awesome. they should make an auto brighteness rmr.

They do

StR8ShOoTeR87
01-29-13, 11:03
Ahh yes the dual illuminated, what was I thinking

Tzook
01-29-13, 11:14
How much has this generally cost you guys? RMR+slide work and installation? I'd love to get one of these on my VTAC M&P but this doesn't look to be a poor man's game :)

jonconsiglio
01-29-13, 12:34
Ahh yes the dual illuminated, what was I thinking

There's an auto adjust LED mini RMR as well, the RM01, RM02 and the new RMR-C which is the nickel boron. Though it's regarded as the most robust model by those beating the hell out of them for testing, there are issues with it not illuminating properly when you are in a bright area looking at a dimly lit area, and vice versa, as well as when using a light.

LED, auto adjust, not dual illuminated model - http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=RMR&mid=LED

So, for me that would be a toss up as I usually prefer the most robust, but at the same time, really prefer manually adjusted brightness.

StR8ShOoTeR87
01-29-13, 12:41
There's an auto adjust LED mini RMR as well, the RM01, RM02 and the new RMR-C which is the nickel boron. Though it's regarded as the most robust model by those beating the hell out of them for testing, there are issues with it not illuminating properly when you are in a bright area looking at a dimly lit area, and vice versa, as well as when using a light.

LED, auto adjust, not dual illuminated model - http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=RMR&mid=LED

So, for me that would be a toss up as I usually prefer the most robust, but at the same time, really prefer manually adjusted brightness.

When I went to a gun show here in TN about a month ago, I got to hold a dual illuminated rmr and was very disappointed at how washed out and dim it was. I was indoors but there was plenty of good lighting. Id probably buy the adjustable led model if I had the cash.

jonconsiglio
01-29-13, 13:23
When I went to a gun show here in TN about a month ago, I got to hold a dual illuminated rmr and was very disappointed at how washed out and dim it was. I was indoors but there was plenty of good lighting. Id probably buy the adjustable led model if I had the cash.

I have a dual illuminated model and I don't care for it. I'd like the adjustable, but with the durability of the auto-adjust LED.

PD Sgt.
01-29-13, 14:35
I have both the RMR02 auto adjust, and the 07 manually adjustable, both on 9mm pistols, a G19 and a M&P compact. The 07 is also auto adjust unless the user changes the settings manually.

Some people have reported that the adjustable models are more prone to a "wandering zero" than the automatic models, and that the brightness controls are more susceptible to being changed while holstered. I have not encountered any zero problems, though I only have about 1K through the adjustable, and I have not exactly been beating it to death. I do mark the settings so I can see if the adjusters have moved. I can say that with pretty regular carry in a Raven OWB concealed, I have yet to find the brightness settings altered.

I really do not find the adjustable feature to be all that useful for practical carry. In a dimmer indoor range I may turn it down a notch, but that is about it. For my use on a CC pistol, I can't envision myself having the time to turn it down if I need to present the weapon. The primary reason I picked the adjustable was for the slightly smaller dot (6.5 vs 8 MOA) which I do prefer. Not sure if I would justify the extra expense on another adjustable if I were to pick up another RMR.

goteron
01-29-13, 15:00
We prefer the RM02 for speed and versatility. I have some time with the adjustable LED models and do not find them that useful.

I would stay clear of the dual ilum models as they wash out badly under white light.

jonconsiglio
01-29-13, 15:02
We prefer the RM02 for speed and versatility. I have some time with the adjustable LED models and do not find them that useful.

I would stay clear of the dual ilum models as they wash out badly under white light.

Hey buddy, glad to see you over here.

Guns-up.50
01-29-13, 15:20
So far I am the only one in my area who hasn't drank that cool-aide. I think the RMRs are pretty cool but I think irons are faster out of the shoot,(not to mention the $) but the rds makes up for it in follow up shots. I would consider it but not for a primary, just not my thing.

Ryno12
01-29-13, 16:36
So far I am the only one in my area who hasn't drank that cool-aide. I think the RMRs are pretty cool but I think irons are faster out of the shoot,(not to mention the $) but the rds makes up for it in follow up shots. I would consider it but not for a primary, just not my thing.

Yeah. To each, his own. I mounted mine to my 10mm primarily for hunting purposes. Not sure I would have one on a pistol for any other reason than that. But that's just me...

Personally, I checked in RMRs and I just couldn't justify the cost. I own several Trijicon products and there is no doubt they are of good quality. I just felt that there are other red dots on the market that are just good and cost a lot less.

Alaskapopo
01-29-13, 16:44
Yeah. To each, his own. I mounted mine to my 10mm primarily for hunting purposes. Not sure I would have one on a pistol for any other reason than that. But that's just me...

Personally, I checked in RMRs and I just couldn't justify the cost. I own several Trijicon products and there is no doubt they are of good quality. I just felt that there are other red dots on the market that are just good and cost a lot less.

Be aware that generally things that cost less for a reason. The RMR and the Delta Point so far are the only ones to handle the recoil on a pistol slide.
Pat

Ryno12
01-29-13, 17:20
Be aware that generally things that cost less for a reason. The RMR and the Delta Point so far are the only ones to handle the recoil on a pistol slide.
Pat

I agree with your first sentence & highly disagree with the second. I have ran 1000's of rounds through my G20 and the Burris FF never skipped a beat. You can add a Fast Fire to your list.

Mak8080
01-29-13, 17:23
I have a Glock 17 with an adjustable RMR. It's wicked fast and it's a pleasure to shoot.

jonconsiglio
01-29-13, 18:26
I agree with your first sentence & highly disagree with the second. I have ran 1000's of rounds through my G20 and the Burris FF never skipped a beat. You can add a Fast Fast to your list.

But that's a sample of one. The RMR and Delta Point are tested hard by many people, with the sole purpose of testing these optics. The Delta Point has not faired as well as the RMR.

The T1 is actually the most robust, but obviously a bit larger.

Dr Roberts has done quite a bit of extensive testing with handgun mounted optics. Now, for all I know, the Fast Fire is a great optic, I'm just going by what's proven by a number of people testing this optics.

Ryno12
01-29-13, 18:53
But that's a sample of one. The RMR and Delta Point are tested hard by many people, with the sole purpose of testing these optics. The Delta Point has not faired as well as the RMR.

The T1 is actually the most robust, but obviously a bit larger.

Dr Roberts has done quite a bit of extensive testing with handgun mounted optics. Now, for all I know, the Fast Fire is a great optic, I'm just going by what's proven by a number of people testing this optics.

I respect that. While I'm sure that there are more FF's than just mine that have held up, RMRs & DPs are surely more popular. I own products from Aimpoint, EOTech, Trijicon & Burris. The Fast Fire probably takes the greatest abuse of them all. The only failure that I've had was Trijicon tritium that died after 10 months. They replaced it with no hassle. Anything can fail at anytime and I have no regrets with any of my purchases.

jonconsiglio
01-29-13, 19:24
I respect that. While I'm sure that there are more FF's than just mine that have held up, RMRs & DPs are surely more popular. I own products from Aimpoint, EOTech, Trijicon & Burris. The Fast Fast probably takes the greatest abuse of them all. The only failure that I've had was Trijicon tritium that died after 10 months. They replaced it with no hassle. Anything can fail at anytime and I have no regrets with any of my purchases.

I certainly don't doubt your experience. Just wanted to point out why many might not consider it "proven". Glad it's been working.

Jon

Talon167
01-29-13, 19:33
I've been curious to getting an RMR onto one of my pistols for a long time. Been thinking about buying a G17 and have the work done. But, that M&P CORE looks like it might be a better option, seeing as how all of the work - and suppressor sights - are already done.

If I can find an M&P Pro CORE 9mm I might have to give it a go.

Alaskapopo
01-29-13, 19:40
I agree with your first sentence & highly disagree with the second. I have ran 1000's of rounds through my G20 and the Burris FF never skipped a beat. You can add a Fast Fast to your list.

I killed a Fast Fire in just one season my my Saiga Shotgun. Not a bad sight but it can't handle recoil.
Pat

Airborne Infantryman
01-29-13, 19:52
How much has this generally cost you guys? RMR+slide work and installation? I'd love to get one of these on my VTAC M&P but this doesn't look to be a poor man's game :)

Mark Housel at L&M Precision did my two Glocks.

Cost was about $255 for the slide work (mill out area for RMR, install Tritium Suppressor Sights, and Cerakote the milled out area), and $400 for the RMR (Dual-Illuminated RM05).

So with shipping and all that, probably about $675-ish. Subtract about $65 if you get regular suppressor sights.

Ryno12
01-29-13, 19:55
I killed a Fast Fire in just one season my my Saiga Shotgun. Not a bad sight but it can't handle recoil.
Pat

I totally agree with Jon that they may not be as proven as the RMR or DP but for you to say that they simply "can't handle recoil" is false. I may be out on a limb here but I'd have to guess that g's inflicted from a slide are much higher than on a shotgun. Mine has yet to fail. Maybe I got a good one, maybe you got a bad one? Like I said earlier, anything can fail at anytime. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Ryno12
01-29-13, 20:37
Mark Housel at L&M Precision did my two Glocks.

Cost was about $255 for the slide work (mill out area for RMR, install Tritium Suppressor Sights, and Cerakote the milled out area), and $400 for the RMR (Dual-Illuminated RM05).

So with shipping and all that, probably about $675-ish. Subtract about $65 if you get regular suppressor sights.

What was the turnaround time for that?

Airborne Infantryman
01-29-13, 22:11
What was the turnaround time for that?

My Glock 19 - back to me in 6 days from the time I sent the slide off. Sent it on a Monday, he received it on Wednesday, and shipped it Thursday. I received it on Saturday.

The Glock 21 Gen 4 - 7 days from the time I sent the slide off.

Mark does amazing work; he used to do the work for Gabe Suarez (Suarez International), but left and started doing it on his own once his contract expired with Suarez.

Ryno12
01-30-13, 05:50
My Glock 19 - back to me in 6 days from the time I sent the slide off. Sent it on a Monday, he received it on Wednesday, and shipped it Thursday. I received it on Saturday.

The Glock 21 Gen 4 - 7 days from the time I sent the slide off.

Mark does amazing work; he used to do the work for Gabe Suarez (Suarez International), but left and started doing it on his own once his contract expired with Suarez.

Wow, that's pretty fast. Pricing seems reasonable too. I heard of Mark when I was researching RDSs but at the time I wasn't interested in having my slide milled. I'll have to give this some more thought. Thanks for the info A.I.

Hdog83
01-30-13, 11:35
Another thumbs-up here for Mark Housel / L and M Precision Gunworks. The turnaround on my G17 slide was much faster than I expected, and the fit & finish are simply great. There are other reputable smiths who perform this work (search this forum for other recommendations), but you can certainly go to Mark with confidence. Also, thumbs up for the Trijicon RMR02 - consistent rock solid performance after more than 1 year (original battery, too).

That said, be prepared for a steep and potentially long learning curve (also documented elsewhere on these forums). I'm still trying to make it work for me, but it's still so much slower for me to acquire the dot (even with the suppressor sights as the "starting point" from initial presentation) that I'm not sure if it's going to be a long term solution.

Alaskapopo
01-30-13, 12:30
I totally agree with Jon that they may not be as proven as the RMR or DP but for you to say that they simply "can't handle recoil" is false. I may be out on a limb here but I'd have to guess that g's inflicted from a slide are much higher than on a shotgun. Mine has yet to fail. Maybe I got a good one, maybe you got a bad one? Like I said earlier, anything can fail at anytime. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
I agree the ones on the slide is worse yet my FastFire stopped working on just the shotgun.
Pat

StR8ShOoTeR87
02-05-13, 11:12
Burris fastfire
indoors no lighting :D

Ryno12
02-05-13, 15:01
Burris fastfire
indoors no lighting :D

Enjoy your new Fast Fire. You know it's gonna blow up on the first pull of the trigger, right? :sarcastic:

StR8ShOoTeR87
02-05-13, 16:01
Enjoy your new Fast Fire. You know it's gonna blow up on the first pull of the trigger, right? :sarcastic:

200 rounds! still zeroed:D

filthy phil
02-05-13, 16:18
http://i48.tinypic.com/25q9ged.jpg
:rolleyes:

StR8ShOoTeR87
02-05-13, 16:39

HOW IS THE ACCURACY BUD?

filthy phil
02-05-13, 17:44
HOW IS THE ACCURACY BUD?

Not mine
Im more of a $500 pistol guy
http://i.imgur.com/sOmBfCu.jpg

blueorison
02-12-13, 18:20
I use one on my FiveseveN for hunting and competition, and everything in-between.

I could start a post mocking the tactical crowd for, in turn, mocking competition shooters for having MRDs on their guns since the 70's. And how "tactical shooters" now have completely mimicked competition gear with MRDs, lightened slides, lighter triggers, fiber optics, stippling, like it's the new rage, when we have been using it forever.

I could, but I won't start a post about it.

:dirol:

Singlestack Wonder
02-12-13, 18:25
I use one on my FiveseveN for hunting and competition, and everything in-between.

I could start a post mocking the tactical crowd for, in turn, mocking competition shooters for having MRDs on their guns since the 70's. And how "tactical shooters" now have completely mimicked competition gear with MRDs, lightened slides, lighter triggers, fiber optics, stippling, like it's the new rage, when we have been using it forever.

I could, but I won't start a post about it.

:dirol:

Thus the term, "clueless". ;)

Steve S.
02-12-13, 20:08

That's hilarious.

So, since the AFG isn't ruled a forward grip for AR Pistols... I'm guessing that it's kosher here?

I can honestly say I've never seen a foregrip on a revolver before...:suicide:

StR8ShOoTeR87
02-12-13, 20:24
That's hilarious.

So, since the AFG isn't ruled a forward grip for AR Pistols... I'm guessing that it's kosher here?

I can honestly say I've never seen a foregrip on a revolver before...:suicide:

Yeah watch out for those thumbs

rasplawn
02-25-13, 18:14
I did a search. This thread came up and figured it would be an ok place to ask. Any feedback on Dr. Optic?

nobody knows
02-25-13, 19:00
I did a search. This thread came up and figured it would be an ok place to ask. Any feedback on Dr. Optic?

The answer i got when i asked that question was that they are good for sport/recreational use, but not to be depended on for self defence or as PRIMARY optic/sights.

goteron
02-26-13, 11:01
We prefer the RM02 for hard use and have had excellent results with the Aimpoint Micro's as well.

LightningFast
03-05-13, 17:12
Has anybody extensively shot the 3.25 MOA dot AND the 6.5 (rmr)? If so, which do you prefer?

bikerdog
03-05-13, 17:15
Has anybody extensively shot the 3.25 MOA dot AND the 6.5 (rmr)? If so, which do you prefer?

I have a lot of time between the 4moa and the 6.5. I personlly prefer the 6.5 to 8 moa range for pistols.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

DocGKR
03-05-13, 18:08
We have made thousands of shots with both sizes.

2-4 MOA is better for precision shooting beyond at 25 yrs and beyond.

6-8 MOA is better for duty/carry use.

Saur
03-05-13, 18:20
What frame-mounted options are there for a pistola relegated to nightstand use and not necessarily carry?

Would that be preferable to a slide mounted optic?

DWood
03-05-13, 18:58

I have the 8 MOA RMR 02 and I would not want a smaller dot on my pistol. I am thinking about another RMR 02 but it seems they are now 6.5 MOA?

Either way, I don't want a 2-4 MOA dot. The 8 MOA works for me and 0-25 yards.

LightningFast
03-05-13, 20:55

I have the 8 MOA RMR 02 and I would not want a smaller dot on my pistol. I am thinking about another RMR 02 but it seems they are now 6.5 MOA?

Either way, I don't want a 2-4 MOA dot. The 8 MOA works for me and 0-25 yards.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the information.

skywalkrNCSU
03-05-13, 21:46
Was thinking of doing this with my G19 or XDm (.45). If I did it to my Glock I would get a separate slide to have the option of which I want and would probably go RMR. The XDm is more of a toy so I was thinking of the fastfire since they make a mount that doesn't require the slide to be milled so if it broke it wouldn't be a big deal to go back to stock. Does anyone know if that is incorrect? Haven't been able to find too much info on it. I know Burris has a great warranty and if it didn't work out on my pistol I could make it a backup for my SPR or just throw it on a .22 as a plinker.

Amy thoughts from you more knowledgable folks?

nickE10mm
05-12-14, 12:28
My G20SF G3 and FF3

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh585/nickE10mm/G20%20Fastfire%20/AD353C5D-0D45-4629-821E-A2C6B89CD28E.png (http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/nickE10mm/media/G20%20Fastfire%20/AD353C5D-0D45-4629-821E-A2C6B89CD28E.png.html)